This Forum is Dying !

CrackerAxeCrackerAxe Opening Act
edited February 2008 in Less Rokk More Talk
I have watcheed this forum go from a hotbed of ideas and passion to a weak and pathitic tarpit. Where the most active post is "compliment the person above you". This is due I believe to a number of factors. 1: lack of interaction - many people post here in the hope that they will be heard by harmonix. 2: lack of interaction - yes I know technically that only counts as one but... there has been more info forthcoming from outside leaks than from Harmonix, even the new DLC is being leaked from elsewhere !

That is my Rant.

Hear is what I want to know, when RB is released elsewhere (UK, AUS) will the DLC be released so that we catch up. or are we going to be 3-4 months behind.

What patches are coming through to deal with the BWT issues, ie integration of DLCinto BWT and the artificial fan limits for dificulty.

Comments

• AnonymousMonkeyAnonymousMonkey Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    you off you're rocker!
  • JVeeJVeeJVeeJVee Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    This forum's not dying.. we're just too busy rocking off to the game during our time.
  • CrackerAxeCrackerAxe Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    I think your point about "knowing" details and then having disapointment with the wait cuts to the heart of my issue. I was looking forward to monday knowing that there would be new content "announced". And that word is very specifically chosen as I am unable to download anything as I am in Australia. But still I am excited by the game and other peoples feedback and enjoy seeing what is comeing. Even if I can't get my gready mits on it. Which obviously relates to my post rant questions.

I think that the Harmonix developers rarely look in the forums I am hopeing they have their heads down producing more content. But there are marketing people employed for no other reason other than just this "Providing Information", "Spreading the Word", and I dont believe they are doing their job.
  • BearclawBearclaw Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    You think this forum is dieing? Try Fire Emblem Anthology, they have literally one active topic because no new members ever stay.
  • SenkoySenkoy Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    I find myself coming here less and less. And i find myself playing the game less and less. Unless they add a single player BWT I might just put everything away and only play it in between waiting for games. But who knows when the next gap will be with all the good games coming out. And it sucks that they're not telling us if they are working on these issues or not. By the time they are addressed, a lot of us will have moved on. Hope that's not that case.
  • edited February 2008
    Eh, the forums started going down hill after E3 2007. Then a week before release they got worse. By the start of December 95% of threads were useless.
  • ExayleExayle Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    There's only way to keep a forum thriving.
    I officially declare console war.
    (Or not).
  • TB666TB666 Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    Wouldn't say that the forums are dying.
    More like in a state of coma.
    I can imagine that when(or maybe if) the game gets released in Europe and elsewhere in a couple of months the forums might become more alive again.
  • VenturaVentura Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Exayle;297606 said:
    Can I start?

I think they all kinda suck.

360's drop like flies, the PS3 doesn't know what it wants to be, and the Wii has a grand total of about 0 titles that really take advantage of its unique hardware.

Sorry, I can never help myself.
  • FleshwoundFleshwound Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    I think this forum is nice. Yes, there are a lot of people that insult one another, but you see that on a lot of forums.
  • dfjdejuliodfjdejulio Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    CrackerAxe;297455 said:
    This is due I believe to a number of factors.
    Naw, it's the user base. First of all, more people have gotten into Rock Band. Second of all, more of those people have discovered these boards. As a public internet message board's user population grows, it asymptotically approaches a state in which every member of it approximates an asshat.

Just you wait, if the game gets popular enough it'll keep degenerating until it's as bad here as the "World of Warcraft" forums!
  • dfjdejuliodfjdejulio Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    Exayle;297606 said:
    Okay!

My Intellivision casts "Knights of the Round" on your Atari 2600!
  • SullySully Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    The http://rockband.scorehero.com forums are the place to be (if not for note charts alone). I come here occasionally after I've exhausted everything going on there.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Goldfoot;297468 said:
    On topic, every forum I have been to is a mixture of mainly useless threads with a few good ones mixed in. In some of the threads that have decent discussion you will find interaction. In the thread that announced the leak of the March schedule we got a response from an employee stating that while those may be songs they are working on, they might not necessarily come out when they are stated to by the magazine.

Off topic: I'll take this moment to rant about written language on the internet. It's almost painful for me to read a lot of comments on forums that people make. I say this because it seems people aren't taught the difference between there, their, and they're, or the difference between two, to, and too. Basically it is upsetting to read statements when people use the wrong spelling of a word. Now I realize it doesn't really make sense to have two words that are pronounced the same yet are spelled differently, but the fact is that there are many instances of that in the English language. We can't change this, but it would be great if people knew which words to use when. I know the original poster only did it once, but I felt like adding my own rant that was inspired by the wrong usage of hear.
    This is internet, it's worldwide and some people's first language is not english you know... (Like me)
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited February 2008
    I don't think this forum is that bad. I actually like coming here. Although, it gets pretty annoying to see the same post over and over again, by different people. Some people really need to learn to search before posting ;)
  • FeignedFeigned Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    Goldfoot;297488 said:
    As for Harmonix replying; you can't expect them to come here on a daily basis.
    Actually, you can expect them to come here on a daily basis. I've been to HMX and met the people that deal solely with the community. They read a lot more than most people think.

Unfortunately, everything they say has to be carefully monitored and filtered because the slightest misinterpretation of the most harmless comment can lead to big trouble. People read too much into what employees (of any gaming company) say, so they have to post cautiously. Yes, it's sad that they aren't able to respond as much as we'd all like, but rest assured that they are listening.
  • JetWolfJetWolf Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    I personally disagree with the premise that the forum is "dying". What I think happened is that before the game was released, only the hardcore anticipatory folks were around. Obviously there were a lot of ideas bandied about -- nobody knew yet exactly what to expect.

Once the game was released, the forum was flooded with new members. And as with any forum, more people means more noise than signal. The good stuff is there, and it's probably fairly close to the same levels as before. But now it's evolved (little need for creative speculation with the actual product in-hand) and you have to search a little harder to find it.

As to HMX's involvement, I can't say that I particularly agree there either. With the important stuff, I find they're extremely quick to respond. Rumours are cut off quickly, and clarifications are readily handed out. For myself, I find that their communication is so consistent and reliable that I take a lack of said communication to be equally telling. If HMX had something they could say on a matter -- whether positive or negative -- then I firmly believe they would. Until they come flat out and say "No." then I remain positive about a development.

Unfortunately, as was previously mentioned, they're a business. For better or worse (usually worse), that means absolutely anything they say has to be very carefully weighted and measured. Especially when it comes to aspects of the game. That's a shame, but it's also a truth.

Obviously your opinions are your opinions. I suspect that you weren't really looking for another point of view with this thread, but hopefully you've seen one despite that. And if not ... well, 'tis a big Internet, after all. :)
  • No_SkillNo_Skill Opening Act
    edited February 2008
  • darknessmoondarknessmoon Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    sillystou;297709 said:
    I don't think this forum is that bad. I actually like coming here. Although, it gets pretty annoying to see the same post over and over again, by different people. Some people really need to learn to search before posting ;)
    QFT. Last week was SO annoying with so many people posting about the supposed March DLC OVER, and OVER, and OVER again, despite there being a response from HMXJohnlok. I've posted that HMXJohnlok's response in ALL of those threads in hopes that people will STOP posting about it, yet so many people continue to do so and so many people consider the whole March DLC to be 100% fact...

Still, SOME good threads still pop out here and there, but they sometimes get lost amongst the hundreds of NEW threads with the same info/BS that's been discussed continuously already...
  • ParodygmParodygm Road Warrior
    edited February 2008
    Sully;297691 said:
    The http://rockband.scorehero.com forums are the place to be (if not for note charts alone). I come here occasionally after I've exhausted everything going on there.
    Maybe I'll go check again, because the last time I was there it would have taken less than 2 minutes to exhaust everything that was going on.

EDIT: Pleasantly surprised. I'll browse around.
  • SenRaqSenRaq Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    Who said these forums are dying? Where else can we read a spelling contest between Goldfoot and CrackerAxe? :rolleyes:
  • edited February 2008
    The forums are not dying, they have simply changed tone. Pre-release there was a lot of healthy dialogue to discuss new features, request new songs, request features, and speculate on the unknown. There was a lot of intrigue and anticipation in the discussion.

Now that the game has been out for a while, there is nothing "new" to spark positive discussion. (Save the weekly DLC annoucements, which are by far the most popular thread-starter going)

That leaves a tired rotation of repeat questions ranging from Who's Next, broken guitars, or gripes about Band World Tour.
  • almoalmo Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    CrackerAxe;297455 said:
    ...and the artificial fan limits for dificulty.
    Dood, the fan limit makes sense. It's the same reason a level 50 Rogue gets nothing for killing a level 40 shaman. It proves nothing. Once you've reached a certain level, continuing to play the same settings shouldn't advance your score.

Harmonix REALLY know their game design.
  • ThrashdragonThrashdragon Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    This forum died on 11/20/2007. Healthy, mostly polite discussion gave way to constant whining about international release dates, "this song sucks", broken instrument issues, and the PS3 Les Paul incompatibility, to name a few of the constant, eye-searing, recurring threads. I used to check the forums several times a day, now it's maybe once a week and that's just to see what the new DLC is.

It's just too much trouble to sort the wheat from the chaff (the forums being horribly, horribly slow since the redesign doesn't help). Unfortunately, unlike most forums, this one is tied to a retail product, so they can't start arbitrarily banning morons or they'll risk alienating some of their userbase.

R.I.P. Rock Band Forums. I used to like it here.
  • SmidgetSmidget Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    Apples;300001 said:

Now that the game has been out for a while, there is nothing "new" to spark positive discussion. (Save the weekly DLC annoucements, which are by far the most popular thread-starter going)
    Yep. This is why we badly need Rock Blogs back and a developer podcast. I really enjoyed spending all the time I used to here but now find it hard to find a reason to post at all :(

My suggestions to bring back good discussion and even some members that may have long since left after the release:

Rock Blogs, developer podcast/vidcast, and contests*. Of course with dedicated threads for discussion of each.

There's actually quite a few good threads on page 1 of the Rock Band area right now, it would just be nice to have specific things to look forward to besides DLC, something that can only bring about so much discussion before it turns into "eh, its ok but I'd rather have 'this'" or "awesome! now how about some of 'this'" :rolleyes:

contests: not in the tournament sense. Best 10 designed (not modded) guitars/drums, oddball things like the recent Mass Effect dance contest (see here), aaand thats all I can think of right now. But you get the picture.
  • edited February 2008
    CrackerAxe;297515 said:
    I think your point about "knowing" details and then having disapointment with the wait cuts to the heart of my issue. I was looking forward to monday knowing that there would be new content "announced". And that word is very specifically chosen as I am unable to download anything as I am in Australia. But still I am excited by the game and other peoples feedback and enjoy seeing what is comeing. Even if I can't get my gready mits on it. Which obviously relates to my post rant questions.

I think that the Harmonix developers rarely look in the forums I am hopeing they have their heads down producing more content. But there are marketing people employed for no other reason other than just this "Providing Information", "Spreading the Word", and I dont believe they are doing their job.
    That isn't technically true. Harmonix is on here daily listening. We don't always post... because... well we're listening. Johnlok and I are also working on getting things back to more how they were before. The thing is people still want a constant stream of information but the game is out already, pretty much everything is known, and DLC only comes out once per week so the amount of big news we are going to announce is frankly nil. We are here though reading, we're egotistical like that. :)
  • drunkenmonkey379drunkenmonkey379 Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    Like a kid watching ants rock out..instead of burning us you give us songs to play
  • SmidgetSmidget Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    hmxsean;301588 said:
    That isn't technically true. Harmonix is on here daily listening. We don't always post... because... well we're listening. Johnlok and I are also working on getting things back to more how they were before. The thing is people still want a constant stream of information but the game is out already, pretty much everything is known, and DLC only comes out once per week so the amount of big news we are going to announce is frankly nil. We are here though reading, we're egotistical like that. :)
    So can we program these boards to auto-reply with this statement every time it is needed? :p Glad to hear from ya Sean and looking forward to the "things how they were before" stuff :)
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited February 2008
    I have to admit, I am one of those new guys. I never came to this forum prior to getting the game. I never played Guitar Hero before, or any rhythm game prior to Rock Band. What made me decide to give it the ol' $170 try was the fact that it looked like a party game. Alesia bought it for me about a week after it was released and I was wowed by the interaction between the players. So, I wanted more information and found the forums. I lurked for a while before I finally joined up.

Arguments over the DLC prompted me to start the weekly poll. Got tired of reading, "This week sucks, give us something good" so I started the poll to show that people were downloading the available songs and just because one person thought they sucked didn't mean they weren't being bought.

It was these forums that turned me onto the Gum Rubber mod, which made the game much more enjoyable with the toned down clack of the pads.

But, other than DLC, what is there left to talk about? I check these boards every day and usually find a thread or two interesting, but the biggest problem seems to be the same things asked over and over and over. How many threads have there been asking about Who's Next?

Anyway, what I am trying to say is Thanks HMX and thanks to all of the people who were on these board prior to the game release who helped make it so much fun to play.
  • Weeksy77Weeksy77 Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    hmxsean;301588 said:
    The thing is people still want a constant stream of information but the game is out already, pretty much everything is known, and DLC only comes out once per week so the amount of big news we are going to announce is frankly nil.
    That's not technically true though, is it Sean? I'm sure there's some information you can still pump out for Australian & EU players that they would be interested in? :D