Advice For A Beginning Guitarist

edited August 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
Alright, I'm looking to try and learn to play real guitar. I have had very little musical experience and am essentially just wanting to learn some basic stuff not make a career out of it or anything. Maybe just learn enough so I can jam with my friends who are pretty good musicians. What I was wondering was what is a good guitar to start out with. I've done some research but cant really tell what I should get. I dont really want to spend over 300 dollars and would like to go as cheap as possible while still getting a guitar that wont frustrate me to death. Any tips?

Comments

  • lithiumkclithiumkc Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    P.S. before you look into getting one, go to www.harmonycentral.com and check out reviews. That place is a reliable-ass resource.
  • SaltinesSaltines Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    And one more thing, usually the cables that com with the packs and such suck.

    Go out and buy a monster cable, best cables you can get and they have a lifetime warranty, some are quite expensive, so I recommend this one...
    Monster Cable ROAR

    I got a 12 foot from my Guitar center and its a great cable, cuts down of alot of the fuzz I was getting, and its very durable. The 12 foot costed us around 24$
  • edited August 2007
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input
  • AkaymayAkaymay Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    Saltines;33281 said:
    And one more thing, usually the cables that com with the packs and such suck.

    Go out and buy a monster cable, best cables you can get and they have a lifetime warranty, some are quite expensive, so I recommend this one...
    Monster Cable ROAR

    I got a 12 foot from my Guitar center and its a great cable, cuts down of alot of the fuzz I was getting, and its very durable. The 12 foot costed us around 24$
    Or, if you're like me, and want to go all the way. Get a wireless cable.

    http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--SENEW172G2
  • SaltinesSaltines Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    Psh, 60day return policy and a tag of 450$.

    I would much rather snag a monster cable for 20-60 bucks and be able to get another for free anytime one broke.
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    It's not really important what your first guitar is. Practice is more important than anything. All those posers out there on youtube with their $600 Ibanez's and they still sound horrible.

    My first guitar was a Epihone Les Paul for $120 plugged into a $100 Rogue amp.
  • no_direction_homeno_direction_home Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    Saltines;33281 said:
    And one more thing, usually the cables that com with the packs and such suck.

    Go out and buy a monster cable, best cables you can get and they have a lifetime warranty, some are quite expensive, so I recommend this one...
    Monster Cable ROAR

    I got a 12 foot from my Guitar center and its a great cable, cuts down of alot of the fuzz I was getting, and its very durable. The 12 foot costed us around 24$
    i like planet waves cables they are very good quality
  • draguladragula Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    My first guitar was a Gibson grx20, pretty nice guitar. I think it's about $150 still. Not sure if it comes in a pack. Great guitar for me starting out, i still play it now. I'm no guitar virtuoso or anything, just decent, but i still love it.

    Most practice amps are probably around $80-100 prolly.
  • edited August 2007
    One tip I'll give you, buy a good set of strings too. Ernie Ball/Music Man is my preferred brand. Most guitars come with crap strings.
  • SaltinesSaltines Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    newwaytodie;33774 said:
    It's not really important what your first guitar is. Practice is more important than anything. All those posers out there on youtube with their $600 Ibanez's and they still sound horrible.

    My first guitar was a Epihone Les Paul for $120 plugged into a $100 Rogue amp.
    It is somewhat important what guitar you start out with.
    I'm not saying that you should buy a 1900& Gibson as your first guitar but, when your starting you don't want a ****ty guitar.

    My reason for this is, what if your guitar sucks, and it doesn't sound nearly as cool as some of the big name guitars. Well, like alot of people, your going to get discouraged because you think it's not the guitar that is sounding so ****ty, but that your doing something wrong and you quit.

    So, dont spend thousands on your starter guitar but find something that sounds good.
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    It's not important at all. Unless the thing is half broken or something. People go out and blow hundreds of dollars on a guitar and then they aren't immediately great, and they quit.

    Plus any good guitarist will tell you that the right player can make any guitar sound good.
  • Phrank-EPhrank-E Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    Those beginner packs usually give a decent guitar and ****ty amp.. or decent amp and ****ty guitar. And all the picks and straps and cables are bunk. My advice is buy a good guitar and skip the usual 10-15 watt practice amp and just get a mini amp. Runs on batteries and clips on your belt, has a headphone jack. There are Marshall and Fenders and I got a Dan Electro Honey-Tone for travel was 20 bucks. There are a few to choose from.. They suck in the tone department but it won't matter for a few months anyway. If ya actually stick with it and start learning some chops then move up to a real amp. This gives you time to save up.

    I got an Epiphone Head and speaker cab that is balls out in a bedroom setting. Damn near loud enough to play over drums with. They are 129 each now. Genuine tube tone. Is a hell of a bargain and will meet your needs to play at home for years to come.

    Also a professional set up on any guitar is a good thing.
    Set Necks (not bolted on) are a plus
    Cheap whammy bars will throw you outta tune ALOT!
    Playing acoustics at first will benifit you in the long run.

    Lastly-Learning to play sitting down with a guitar over your right knee for a year will screw you up when you try to play standing.. Either learn while standing OR play with it over your left knee (assuming your a righty) This will help, as it keeps the ergonomics much better. Otherwise you will have to re-learn (muscle memory wise) everything again.
  • SaltinesSaltines Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    Phrank-E;36137 said:
    Those beginner packs usually give a decent guitar and ****ty amp.. or decent amp and ****ty guitar. And all the picks and straps and cables are bunk. My advice is buy a good guitar and skip the usual 10-15 watt practice amp and just get a mini amp. Runs on batteries and clips on your belt, has a headphone jack. There are Marshall and Fenders and I got a Dan Electro Honey-Tone for travel was 20 bucks. There are a few to choose from.. They suck in the tone department but it won't matter for a few months anyway. If ya actually stick with it and start learning some chops then move up to a real amp. This gives you time to save up.

    I got an Epiphone Head and speaker cab that is balls out in a bedroom setting. Damn near loud enough to play over drums with. They are 129 each now. Genuine tube tone. Is a hell of a bargain and will meet your needs to play at home for years to come.

    Also a professional set up on any guitar is a good thing.
    Set Necks (not bolted on) are a plus
    Cheap whammy bars will throw you outta tune ALOT!
    Playing acoustics at first will benifit you in the long run.

    Lastly-Learning to play sitting down with a guitar over your right knee for a year will screw you up when you try to play standing.. Either learn while standing OR play with it over your left knee (assuming your a righty) This will help, as it keeps the ergonomics much better. Otherwise you will have to re-learn (muscle memory wise) everything again.
    The first actual guitar I had came with one of those mini amps, it wasnt too bad honestly.
    But it ate my batteries.

    And what I like about the guitar /I have now is that, everyone says to me because its a Squier and its cheap that the whammy will get me out of tune..

    Nope, that guitar stays in tune for a long time no matter how much i mess around with that bar.
  • edited August 2007
    Once again thanks everyone.
  • mrblonde885mrblonde885 Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    Saltines;36139 said:
    The first actual guitar I had came with one of those mini amps, it wasnt too bad honestly.
    But it ate my batteries.

    And what I like about the guitar /I have now is that, everyone says to me because its a Squier and its cheap that the whammy will get me out of tune..

    Nope, that guitar stays in tune for a long time no matter how much i mess around with that bar.
    I bought a Squire pack about a year and half ago as a first guitar and I gotta say, the whammy does indeed throw it way out of tune sometimes. Maybe you just got lucky with yours. I don't really use the whammy bar though.

    So, that aside, I'd recommend a Squire Strat Pack. It was relatively cheap (about $300 I think). The guitar is pretty good (the pickups buzz a bit which kinda sucks), but the amp is great in my opinion. Never had problems with it and it sounds good. Even has a distortion button on it. Probably not the best guitar pack out there, but it's a good deal for the money.
  • SaltinesSaltines Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    mrblonde885;36386 said:
    I bought a Squire pack about a year and half ago as a first guitar and I gotta say, the whammy does indeed throw it way out of tune sometimes. Maybe you just got lucky with yours. I don't really use the whammy bar though.

    So, that aside, I'd recommend a Squire Strat Pack. It was relatively cheap (about $300 I think). The guitar is pretty good (the pickups buzz a bit which kinda sucks), but the amp is great in my opinion. Never had problems with it and it sounds good. Even has a distortion button on it. Probably not the best guitar pack out there, but it's a good deal for the money.

    I think the amp plainly sucks... Lots of fuzz with mine..

    The pakc I got was the Fat Strat.. I might have gotten lucky with my whammy, I dont use it often but sometimes I just like to play with it and the gutiar stays in tune very well.
  • Phrank-EPhrank-E Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    A real point to make is... If you buy a decent guitar on it's own and you don't stick with it.. You can likely sell it off to get a good deal of your money back.. If you buy a beginner pack crap guitar.. You'll end up with a door stop. Unless you got a little brother or something to hand it down to, It will be hard to get rid of. But a good guitar is and will always be a good guitar. My first guitar was the Epiphone Les Paul Studio.. goes for around 500 dollars, But mine was free. :)

    I ordered the Behringer Strat pack because I wanted the 15watt amp that it came with. I got it from Zzsounds for 108 bucks. The guitar is **** but the amp is fairly decent. The amp alone was 80.. so 28 for the guitar was worth it. I'd give the ****ing thing to you but shipping would probably be alot. MusicansFriend has OLP and Floyd Rose guitars right now for 150. Those are good deals.
  • edited August 2007
    Phrank-E;36484 said:
    A real point to make is... If you buy a decent guitar on it's own and you don't stick with it.. You can likely sell it off to get a good deal of your money back.. If you buy a beginner pack crap guitar.. You'll end up with a door stop. Unless you got a little brother or something to hand it down to, It will be hard to get rid of. But a good guitar is and will always be a good guitar. My first guitar was the Epiphone Les Paul Studio.. goes for around 500 dollars, But mine was free. :)

    I ordered the Behringer Strat pack because I wanted the 15watt amp that it came with. I got it from Zzsounds for 108 bucks. The guitar is **** but the amp is fairly decent. The amp alone was 80.. so 28 for the guitar was worth it. I'd give the ****ing thing to you but shipping would probably be alot. MusicansFriend has OLP and Floyd Rose guitars right now for 150. Those are good deals.
    Thanks, I'll check those out. But if you would really GIVE me that Behringer for free that would be cool. I just need something to mess around with and get my feet wet.
  • senomarsenomar Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    Well, you might want to try and get your hands on a cheap Epiphone. SG's are lightweight and easy to play, that would be my suggestion. Once you get an axe, go to a local guitar store and buy some, picks, a cable, a somewhat decent amp, a tuner, or just borrow those from a friend. Once you've got your setup, learn some simple riffs to easy songs (i.e. Smoke on the Water, some Nirvana song, Iron Man, and any songs you like that you think you could learn), and practice. Once you progress after about a year, you can start learning full songs and some simple solos. Practice often, and don't give up, and the rewards will be great. Good luck!
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    some Nirvana song
    hahahahahahahahahahahaha
  • senomarsenomar Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    newwaytodie;36806 said:
    hahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Hey, hey, hey now, they might not be amazing, but their songs are hella easy.
  • edited August 2007
    Dont hate on Nirvana. They got me into a lot of great music. I would have never listened to Flipper if not for Kurts shirt. Or Leadbelly, or the Meat Puppets. Nirvana was great. But lets not stray off topic.....
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    senomar;36808 said:
    Hey, hey, hey now, they might not be amazing, but their songs are hella easy.
    I'm not quite sure I understand your stance. Are you saying Nirvana is bad? Because I'd have to agree with you. Also on the easy thing, I just found it to be hilariously true.
  • edited August 2007
    newwaytodie;36828 said:
    I'm not quite sure I understand your stance. Are you saying Nirvana is bad? Because I'd have to agree with you. Also on the easy thing, I just found it to be hilariously true.
    So since there songs are easy they are bad? That makes absolutely no sense. I'd rather listen to Nirvana than some 80's hair metal crap with guys running around in spandex.
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Are you referring to my avatar?
  • senomarsenomar Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    newwaytodie;36828 said:
    I'm not quite sure I understand your stance. Are you saying Nirvana is bad? Because I'd have to agree with you. Also on the easy thing, I just found it to be hilariously true.
    Nirvana is good, but not great. And also Cacophony isn't hair metal. But genre's really don't matter in the long run.
  • edited August 2007
    newwaytodie;36842 said:
    Are you referring to my avatar?
    Not really, I'm just saying that without the grunge/alt boom of the early 90's then hair metal would have been existent even longer. Nirvana helped end that sh*t.
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Yeah. Grats to them for setting music back 20 years. After all that great rock of the sixties, seventies, and eighties. All for naught.
  • lithiumkclithiumkc Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    newwaytodie;37487 said:
    Yeah. Grats to them for setting music back 20 years. After all that great rock of the sixties, seventies, and eighties. All for naught.
    Lullz, because Cherry Pie, Nothing But A Good Time, and 18 And Life were the pinnacle of musical evolution for our last century :rolleyes: RIIIIIGHT

    A lot of the 80's was a decline from the 70's IMO. As is happening now again. We had a period of good, meaningful music instead of crappy wannabe feelgood stuff... And now we go into a state of detente until the next huge relevant artist comes out and reshapes our airwaves.

    PLEASE GOD, COME SOON.
  • newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Lullz, because Cherry Pie, Nothing But A Good Time, and 18 And Life were the pinnacle of musical evolution for our last century RIIIIIGHT
    You're not listening to the right 80's music.
    And now we go into a state of detente until the next huge relevant artist comes out and reshapes our airwaves.

    PLEASE GOD, COME SOON.
    Where's Trent Reznor when you need him?

    Wait, up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's Super-Ateheist!! Dun-Dun-Duh-DUNNN!
Sign In or Register to comment.