Anyone else getting sick of....

Brad_LeeBrad_Lee Opening Act
edited August 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
Having to buy a new guitar every time a new game comes out?

Seriously as much as I like new features... it's getting a bit ridiculous. The solo frets are totally unnecessary but you are going to need them to maximize performance. And yes I say NEED.

100 bucks says the next RB and/or GH game has a sixth fret button on the guitar.

Comments

• JB4GDIJB4GDI Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    Brad_Lee;33342 said:
    Having to buy a new guitar every time a new game comes out?
    No.

The PS2 -> PS3 jump just means I have a nicer controller to play with.

-Jaime
  • Raider87Raider87 Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    You don't need to buy the new guitar... yes I say NEED.... what did you expect? It's a new game on a new console did you really expect us to keep using the same controller as GH1??
    It's like complaining about getting new controllers for the Wii or gamecube... "why couldnt I just use my nintendo conroller?"
  • ThePaskaThePaska Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    I actaully like the solo frets, and solos are going to be so much more fun not having to strum.
  • Brad_LeeBrad_Lee Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    Solo frets shouldn't be smaller than the high frets. Gonna be a ***** to adjust your fingers to playing the smaller buttons.

Why was this moved? It directly relates to RB.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited August 2007
    There's more than just those solo buttons. The five way effects switch has been added to the Strat as well. And of course you don't have to buy the guitar if you're getting the 360 version as the GHII controller will be compatible. They didn't make the Strat have something like a sixth fret button because they specifically want to maintain compatibility with guitars from earlier games. If you're getting sick of buying controllers for new games, then don't and just use the ones you already have if they're compatible. I realize the compatibility for RB is limited because there are only a few guitars for the 360 at the moment and none for the PS3, but that's not RB's fault. If they were releasing for the PS2, I have no doubt that the Gibson would work with the game.

I really think it's terrible to hold back ideas for new features in games just to maintain perfect compatibility. I don't think either GH3 or Rock Band is trying to avoid compatibility at this point. I don't believe you need a new controller for either game unless you're buying it on a newer system with no peripherals yet.

I don't think a sixth fret button (or anything that completely destroys compatibility with old guitars) will come into play for at least a couple more years. That would really be messing with the formula that everyone has gotten so familiar with by now and possibly alienate customers.
    100 bucks says the next RB and/or GH game has a sixth fret button on the guitar.
    I'd gladly accept that bet for RB not having a sixth fret, but I have no idea what the hell Activision has planned for GH.
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited August 2007
    I need a new one anyway. Get that "Rocking out too hard" message too much even when the controller is plugged in.
  • AkaymayAkaymay Rising Star
    edited August 2007
    Eh, even if I did have a GHII Xplorer for the 360, I'd still get the Rock Band one. Too many new features. It's bigger, the effect switch, the upper frets. Awesomeness all around!
  • edited August 2007
    The new RB Guitar controller is too good to pass up. The extra fret buttons and awesome new look alone are enough for me. We already have 2 Xplorer guitars too.
  • edited August 2007
    I've got GH1, GH2 and had 80's for a while.

I've used 1 controller the whole way though and its the only one ive ever had... So I'm happy.
  • edited August 2007
    nope. I love it. by the end of the year I'll have 7
  • draguladragula Unsigned
    edited August 2007
    Solo frets shouldn't be smaller than the high frets. Gonna be a ***** to adjust your fingers to playing the smaller buttons.
    Well, RB's whole thing is about authenticity and the feel of rocking. On a real guitar are the frets smaller when you go down the fretboard? Yesiree! So, naturally our buttons are going to be smaller too.
  • IbanezBassist_v2IbanezBassist_v2 Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    Any one else getting tired of....your negativity. Yes.
  • edited August 2007
    At least with Rock Band there are new features and whatnot being added to the controller.... the GH3 one is just a shameless copy.
  • IbanezBassist_v2IbanezBassist_v2 Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    I agree. Its like comparing Apples to oranges! Ha get it? I made a funny!
  • XzyliacXzyliac Road Warrior
    edited August 2007
    I am annoyed at new guitars being introduced but to say they're needed after your first purchase is really stretching it.

To date I have purchased three guitars, two for PS2 and one for 360. My next Rock Band guitar purchase is purely optional as was my second PS2 guitar.
  • KlopekKlopek Opening Act
    edited August 2007
    Brad_Lee;33342 said:
    Having to buy a new guitar every time a new game comes out?.
    I'm pretty sure I read that the GH3 controller has a detchable neck for easy storage/portability. I presume that this may also make it possible for them to release new necks with more buttons in the future. That would greatly reduce costs.

It's a shame it's somewhat void. I want the extra solo buttons on the Rock Band guitar!

My biggest battle is going to be waiting for the Rock Band hardware to be released while GH3 is readily available! - Presuming the RB guitar will work with GH3..... it seriously better.