Anyone moved cross country alone? Need some help.

DaesaniaDaesania Serious Poster
edited February 2008 in Less Rokk More Talk
So later this year I'm planning on moving, I'm in the center of the US, so depending on where I go, pretty much the max I'll be moving is roughly around 1700 miles.

I'll be moving alone, with a uhaul and a car.. my problem is.. the car. I dont want to sell it (i'm already upside down in the loan, i might as well drive it as long as i can)... but I'm trying to weigh my options.

One option is to drive the uhaul and get those flatbed pullalong trailers they sell to tow your car behind it. I'm not exactly sure how safe this is. This is probably the cheapest option, however the most risky. Has anyone used this method?

The other option is to hire someone to drive it/pick it up with their big rig truck, I read online that that can cost anywhere from 400-1200..not really sure on that price as i'm not sure where i want to move yet. Looking at Portland Oregon, maybe tennesse, maybe north carolina.
This option is obviously more secure as it would probably either be enclosed on a truck or on one of those stackable car trucks you see with like 20 cars/trucks going to dealerships,etc.

Has anyone had this delimia, if so, what did you do and what did it cost? I'm wondering if the risk of driving the uhaul with my car on the back of it is worth the reward of the cheaper moving cost.

(I looked into having it moved by train, but the MINIMUM is $750 with Amtrak)

Also, before anyone asks, no i cannot move with everything in my car, i have a 2004 eclipse, so i could probably fit 2 boxes in there :P

Comments

• topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited February 2008
    Do you have a friend or family member that could drive your car while you drove the U-Haul, then fly back? The cost of the ticket might be cheaper than either of the two options you mentioned.

The trailer option would be a serious pain in the *** I think. Driving through the plains you'd have to deal with the winds pushing you all over, and driving through the mountains would be nerve racking. Not to mention trying to get in and out of parking lots with the trailer.

But if you could get someone to haul it on a trailer for a decent price, that might be your best option if you didn't have someone who could drive your car.

There are also companies (or used to be) that have drivers that will drive your car cross country. My sister's father in law used to do some of that. Not sure what they charge though.
  • Etapi1000Etapi1000 Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    The friend method is what I did. I paid for two friends for airfare and their hotel rooms along the way and they helped me unload at the other end as well. My wife and I each drove a car, and my friends drove the uhaul. We bought cheap 2 way radios to keep in touch on the drive and to schedule stops for gas, food etc.

Worked very well and the two airfares were cheaper than it would cost to rent the car trailer from uhaul, and we ended up with extra help unloading.

Best of luck to you, moving cross country is always a big challenge.
  • DaesaniaDaesania Serious Poster
    edited February 2008
    The friend method is possible, but would cost just as much as it would to hire someone, i mean if you figure it out, gas for the car to drive there would probably be a good couple hundred bucks+airfare back would end up equaling to the same price as putting it on a truck with someone.
  • SmidgetSmidget Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    Hmmm...any thoughts on where in NC or TN? If its close enough to Charlotte or Nashville, I'd fly out there and drive your car for ya. And shoot, a one-way ticket there, I'd pay for it. It would be fun! :)
    edited February 2008
    TN.. well i'm not sure, probably either Memphis or Nashville, as for NC, I'm totally clueless. I have a couple friends there but I'm not sure of the exact city they live in. I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons. Drive to Oregon=24ish hours.. TN is around 14 hours and the drive would not be NEARLY as bad as it would be to oregon. I've done the TN drive about 4 times, so its pretty easy and traffic free.

I havent looked up anything about NC (such as what to do there) yet besides rock out with you!, so right now, that's my last pick until i can do some further research :)
  • SmidgetSmidget Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    I have family in Franklin, TN which is basically Nashville (right down the interstate from it). If Nashville becomes your destination, I'd just drive there and fly out of from there (and drive back home from there). If NC becomes your destination, we could use Franklin/Nashville as a one-night stop. Memphis is only about 3 hours from Franklin so that'd be cool, I'd just need a ride to Franklin after getting to Memphis.

I have so many great things I could say about why you should come to NC but I'm at work and don't have the time, haha. But rockin out with me is definitely on the top of the list!
  • barber78barber78 Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    I moved from Boston to Chicago with a uhaul and towed my pickup truck behind. It was fun. And safe IMO. You just have to remember that you are driving something that is almost as long as a semi, and you basically have to drive it like one, wide ass turns etc.
  • barber78barber78 Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    and since you have a tiny car and i had a full size pickup, it would prolly be easier for you. The worst part was driving the damn uhaul truck. AKA Gas-guzzler 3000.
  • bandaddybandaddy Rising Star
    edited February 2008
    I've used the pull behind two wheel car dollies behind a Uhaul before. It's not a big deal, and had no problems. By far cheaper. Uhaul also has some flatbed trailers, or even enclosed trailers that can haul a car if you're still leary, or don't want to put any miles on your car tires. Again, much cheaper, especially since you're already getting the truck. Either way, I'd say it's much safer than having someone drive it, risking them having an accident, etc.
    edited February 2008
    Well i'd definatly go with the flatbed trailer for 3 reasons:

Its better for front wheel drive cars like mine
    Its a looong drive, so yeah.. dont want those miles on my tires
    and I dont want any mother ****ers rearending my car, atleast on the flat bed trailer, they'll be smacking into that first.
    edited February 2008
    /bump. Anyone else have suggestions/imput?