The stutter / lag is real

Comments

• Mikey35 said:

uppyb0t said:

Zenzuki said:

Nothing by Anthrax should EVER be used in a conversation about calibrating. A person would give themselves absolute fits if they were to use anything by them as a source to check calibration! Whether it was studio or live, that band had truly HORRIBLE meter!

Love the band, but they couldn't keep a steady tempo if their lives depended on it. (Thankfully it didn't)

I give HMX megaprops for the truly admirable job they did of charting their songs in the game (especially the live stuff)! God knows it couldn't have been easy! :smiley:

they may not play consistently but at least in rock band 3 i could time the bass hits to the notes. in this game i have to hit the strumbar just a tad before the note gets there or it misses. it feels like i have to constantly play ahead of the song instead of with it. (i could gold star this song on bass in rock band 3, in 4 i cant even 5 star it.)
    This sounds like your Video numbers are off.
    Try increasing the 'ms' to push the hitbox back.

You should be able to hit a bit before and a bit after the note. Video will fix this.
    Do you mean increase the number?
    From his wording, I would say yes, that is what he means.

However, this is the internet and sometimes people say things contrary to what they mean.
  • ynglink said:

Mikey35 said:

uppyb0t said:

Zenzuki said:

Nothing by Anthrax should EVER be used in a conversation about calibrating. A person would give themselves absolute fits if they were to use anything by them as a source to check calibration! Whether it was studio or live, that band had truly HORRIBLE meter!

Love the band, but they couldn't keep a steady tempo if their lives depended on it. (Thankfully it didn't)

I give HMX megaprops for the truly admirable job they did of charting their songs in the game (especially the live stuff)! God knows it couldn't have been easy! :smiley:

they may not play consistently but at least in rock band 3 i could time the bass hits to the notes. in this game i have to hit the strumbar just a tad before the note gets there or it misses. it feels like i have to constantly play ahead of the song instead of with it. (i could gold star this song on bass in rock band 3, in 4 i cant even 5 star it.)

You should be able to hit a bit before and a bit after the note. Video will fix this.
    Do you mean increase the number?
    However, this is the internet and sometimes people say things contrary to what they mean.
    No they don't.
    I...agree?
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    Yes. Increasing the number will give the box more of a delay when crossing the line, making it line up with your notes.

Decreasing latencey (which is how long something waits) means it happens sooner. Increasing means it happens later.

If you feel something is happening to soon or too late, you can use this logic to adjust your numbers.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive

unless your already at the 300 cap and are unable to "fix" this issue...

i dont think tv's even exist with 300+ latency
  • uppyb0t said:

Zenzuki said:

oh I know what the problem is, but I'm not gonna change my numbers for one song just to switch them back to play the rest of my songs. this is the main thing that needs to be fixed. IMO
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    jibjqrkl said:

unless your already at the 300 cap and are unable to "fix" this issue...

i dont think tv's even exist with 300+ latency
    Yeah, you should never have a 0.3 second delay in any situation.
    rsm790 said:

Are the calibration problems gonna be fixed in the next patch?

They have been a bit hit and miss (what a pun) on every build. Some have completely altered numbers while others have made slight differences or none at all.

I do find it strange that we haven't seen a road map yet or an update on monthly patching.
  • I just started playing Rock Band 4 with my Ions + PDP adapter on XBox 1S and I am noticing weird lag and crashes. I was in Practice Mode and it seemed like if I didn't wait for the song preview to load as I selected the options, I could make the game either freeze or completely lock up as it tried to catch up. Admittedly I was clicking fast because I just wanted to play the entire song at 100 speed to test the setup. But I wouldn't expect this to break the game.

Also, while I was playing songs, it seemed like the first few notes didn't register. Most times it would just be the audio that was delayed, but sometimes notes didn't register. Even the timing seemed to slip during the song. I could play a repetitive section and I felt like I was keeping the pace, but then randomly it just drops. I did calibrate three times during the session so I would like to think it's not that. I even had one song where the audio completely dropped out during a section with a line of kicks and varying tom and cymbal hits. Eventually towards the end of my 2 hour session I felt like it was dialed in and everything was going okay, and then it locked up loading a song. I took it as a sign and quit for the day. I did do a full shutdown hoping to have a fresh XBox today.

Unfortunately when I started up, my calibration was all off again. I ended up calibrating again to fix it. However, it was detecting my audio delay as 338 ms, which was then rounded down to 300. After this I noticed significant audio delay when hitting the green cymbal (I had this yesterday too, but it was more pronounced today). Once the song got going, I didn't notice it; my hits and the sound seemed to line up with the song. But if there was a trailing note, it really seemed off. I know this is likely due to the calibration numbers, but If that's what it's reporting based on my hits, I don't want to mess with it too much. Is there something possibly wrong with my TV speakers (Sony X800D)? I know they aren't great and sound a little funny with the audio in Forza Horizon 3. I just thought there was too much going on at the same time in the game and the TV couldn't keep up. Maybe this is the push to get a dedicated sound bar for it.

I currently have 761 songs in game and my XBox is Instant On. If there is more information that would be helpful, let me know.
  • I just started playing Rock Band 4 with my Ions + PDP adapter on XBox 1S and I am noticing weird lag and crashes. I was in Practice Mode and it seemed like if I didn't wait for the song preview to load as I selected the options, I could make the game either freeze or completely lock up as it tried to catch up. Admittedly I was clicking fast because I just wanted to play the entire song at 100 speed to test the setup. But I wouldn't expect this to break the game.

Also, while I was playing songs, it seemed like the first few notes didn't register. Most times it would just be the audio that was delayed, but sometimes notes didn't register. Even the timing seemed to slip during the song. I could play a repetitive section and I felt like I was keeping the pace, but then randomly it just drops. I did calibrate three times during the session so I would like to think it's not that. I even had one song where the audio completely dropped out during a section with a line of kicks and varying tom and cymbal hits. Eventually towards the end of my 2 hour session I felt like it was dialed in and everything was going okay, and then it locked up loading a song. I took it as a sign and quit for the day. I did do a full shutdown hoping to have a fresh XBox today.

Unfortunately when I started up, my calibration was all off again. I ended up calibrating again to fix it. However, it was detecting my audio delay as 338 ms, which was then rounded down to 300. After this I noticed significant audio delay when hitting the green cymbal (I had this yesterday too, but it was more pronounced today). Once the song got going, I didn't notice it; my hits and the sound seemed to line up with the song. But if there was a trailing note, it really seemed off. I know this is likely due to the calibration numbers, but If that's what it's reporting based on my hits, I don't want to mess with it too much. Is there something possibly wrong with my TV speakers (Sony X800D)? I know they aren't great and sound a little funny with the audio in Forza Horizon 3. I just thought there was too much going on at the same time in the game and the TV couldn't keep up. Maybe this is the push to get a dedicated sound bar for it.

I currently have 761 songs in game and my XBox is Instant On. If there is more information that would be helpful, let me know.

If you're only using HDMI audio, then yes, that's going to cause a lot of audio lag. If you get a sound bar, make sure you have one with optical out so you can connect your Xbox to it directly (I am assuming the One S still has the optical out, unlike the PS4 Slim).
    also never trust auto calibration
  • XzalorXzalor Rising Star
    Ever since the Holiday update for Xbox I've had no problems whatsoever with lag or stuttering in my games. That applies to rockband 4 as well.

Last night I played with my friends (guitar, drums, two mics) for 5 hours straight and had no problems!!

(The only problem I had was the crowd cut out in the middle of a set list but that's just a bug)
  • MythsOfMetalMythsOfMetal Unsigned
    edited November 2016
    My A/V latency has stayed at the same mid 60 and mid 70 millisecond+ configuartion since I auto-calibrated with my Jag and it's been fine ever since.

For regular quickplay, tour, and rockudrama there aren't any frame drops for me until I've had my Xbox on for six to eight days, then the frame drops start coming, though they're infrequent and a hard reboot solves the problem for the next week.

For endless freestyle solo mode I was experiencing loads of frame drops in the song selection menu (though not a big problem, it was quite apparent) though I didn't seem to get any frame drops while freestyle soloing over the songs. My problem came with the input-output latency making my solos sound disjointed and off time (I'm using hdmi audio and video, so what else's there to expect) but it was still pretty fun and nothing that surprised me, given my setup with an hdtv (instead of a low latency monitor) and hdmi audio (instead of optical audio.)

This was on an Xbox One with around 600 DLC in my library. So overrall I haven't experienced any serious unsolvable issues at my rate.
  • jibjqrkl said:

I disagree. Auto-calibration sets up a canonical standard for everyone to follow. People bias it their own way afterward, but auto-calibration has never been anything but successful for me, and my RB set has been through multiple audio and video setups.
  • NulienNulien Opening Act
    edited November 2016
    LoopyChew said:

jibjqrkl said:

I disagree. Auto-calibration sets up a canonical standard for everyone to follow. People bias it their own way afterward, but auto-calibration has never been anything but successful for me, and my RB set has been through multiple audio and video setups.
    To me, it's nothing but a starting point. I use auto-calibrate first, and use it for a while and figure out after a few days of playing where it needs to be adjusted, and fix it accordingly. If I try to fix it right away instead of waiting for a few days, I get it wrong every time, but that's just me sucking at manual calibration.

The simple fact that different guitar controllers usually give me completely different auto-calibrate results tells me that auto-calibrate can't be completely trusted. Not to mention the couple months or so that auto-calibrate was completely broken with the legacy adapter...
  • Our band agrees....after Rivals.....RockBand4 is "Unplayable" by our standards. We have been playing since RockBand1 (me since GuitarHero)......we know something is broke. Dear Harmonix, if you would like, we (our band), would LOVE to come to where ever you are and TEST your systems, and show you the problems. :wink: Being how we have been, by score, ranked 1-4 on the leaderboards, in certain areas.....I think we know what works and what don't.
    LoopyChew said:

jibjqrkl said:

I meant it as in "The auto calibration can be wrong often/sometimes, trust your own judgement over it"
    New players might think "The game is telling me it's correct, so it must be me that's doing it wrong"
  • I got a new Samsung TV and Bose soundbar. Since I have been playing with the new set up, I have not experienced one instanced of skipping/lag. My old set up went through a 6-7 year old receiver on a 7 year old Samsung. However there was also a Xbox update recently so I'm not sure if that is why I haven't experienced it since my new equipment or if the new TV/Sound set up was the key. Keeping my fingers crossed on this being permanent fix. Also, my calibration seems to be better than its ever been on Rock Band 4
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited November 2016
    jibjqrkl said:

LoopyChew said:

jibjqrkl said:

I meant it as in "The auto calibration can be wrong often/sometimes, trust your own judgement over it"
    New players might think "The game is telling me it's correct, so it must be me that's doing it wrong"
    I think it's more "wrong for me" than "wrong." There will be variance depending on environment, distance from the setup, battery life, legacy vs. newer, etc, because it's waiting for the guitar to make its call, but for that guitar, at that moment, it is exactly what it is supposed to be. People have a natural tendency to jump the gun when timing stuff, so your numbers may be a little bigger than what the game gives you. But that's what makes you comfortable, rather than the most accurate timing window.

Then again, I'm the guy who holds his guitar like half a centimeter away from the TV/speaker with as many lights off as possible to keep from interference.
  • SirPuttsAlotSirPuttsAlot Unsigned
    edited November 2016
    I have been plagued with Calibration / Stutter problems from the beginning, Manual Calibration, Auto Calibration everything was terrible, but I believe I finally have it licked. Just some background on my setup, since I play Rocksmith a lot which doesn't have a calibration setting, I use their connectivity guidelines so I don't use the HDMI for Audio. I have HDMI for Video and that's connection is set to Game Mode and for audio I use a TOSLINK into my reciever. Also, I really only play drums, on a Yamaha eKit, and used the GH:WOR unit with a MC Legacy Adapter until last weekend when I switched back to the Midi-Pro adapter and PDP Legacy USB adapter.

I was getting ready to give me Xbox One away to my nephew and grab a new XB1S, so I went and got a backup hard drive, Moved everything over to it and wiped my Xbox One Drive (Reset, Delete all)

Just to see what a I will have to go through with my new unit, I then reset the XB1, redownloaded the game from xbox marketplace (I originally installed with the disc, then bought a digital copy, then 97 patches were added, etc.) with a nice prestine environment. I started it up, went through calibrating and played a few songs, everything was Perfect. What is strange is prior to doing this, Auto Calibration would put my set @ 161 Audio and 104 Video (+/- a few MS, but it was consistent) and now it calibrated @ 57 Audio and 57 Video. Also, since I play mostly by myself, I disabled the option for individual track speed.

Then to see if it was just the DLC, I copied over from the hard drive, just the 26 delisted songs from the Xbox One Marketplace. Waited for them index and played them, perfect. I then when to the waiting to install and downloaded the remainder of my songs fresh from the marketplace and I haven't had an issue with calibration since. Every once in a blue moon I will get that 1ms stutter that is so fast, it's not even noticeable, but nothing like before where the game would just pause for what felt like an eternity and 2 notes would go by during this time.

If you have any of the now delisted songs in your library, and have an external hard drive to back them up, you might want to give that a try. It was time consuming, but worth it.
  • I got a new Samsung TV and Bose soundbar. Since I have been playing with the new set up, I have not experienced one instanced of skipping/lag. My old set up went through a 6-7 year old receiver on a 7 year old Samsung. However there was also a Xbox update recently so I'm not sure if that is why I haven't experienced it since my new equipment or if the new TV/Sound set up was the key. Keeping my fingers crossed on this being permanent fix. Also, my calibration seems to be better than its ever been on Rock Band 4

@Portlander29 what Bose soundbar did you get?
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior

i put part of the blame of this on Sony for ditching standard audio jacks... WTF sony really?

the other part i put on the 300 cap for synching..

it's not the output that's to blame. you can use optical out to a D/A converter to standard audio. i get 0ms audio latency in Rocksmith with that set up, and yet in RB4 my latency is still in the 70-80ms range.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    playing recently, i've seen a few more instances of momentary shudders on PS4, that weren't bad enough to break my streak still. but now i've been noticing lately that occasionally the game will temporarily freeze when selecting a song. maybe every 10th song or so, instead of launching into the song immediately, it will freeze for several seconds before finally launching into the song.
  • so to update from a week ago. I haven't rebooted my xbox since the new update hit last week, and I haven't lagged or stuttered at all for 5 days now. its finally good to play this game again.

sadly I know I will have to power it down eventually and it will slow me down again until a few days pass.
  • so to update from a week ago. I haven't rebooted my xbox since the new update hit last week, and I haven't lagged or stuttered at all for 5 days now. its finally good to play this game again.

sadly I know I will have to power it down eventually and it will slow me down again until a few days pass.

I've been playing for at least 5 days without a shutdown, and the game is relatively stable. The few stutters I get are barely perceptible. So I'd say the last Xbox update was a major improvement.

• zabigg said:

so to update from a week ago. I haven't rebooted my xbox since the new update hit last week, and I haven't lagged or stuttered at all for 5 days now. its finally good to play this game again.

I've been playing for at least 5 days without a shutdown, and the game is relatively stable. The few stutters I get are barely perceptible. So I'd say the last Xbox update was a major improvement.

Yeah you can have Instant On on and the thing runs well for a damn good bit longer without a restart now.

Like how it did before the NXOE update a year ago.