The stutter / lag is real

Comments

• uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    edited March 20
    Ok, it's back with a vengeance since the last couple patches.

Last one wasn't so bad, but it's becoming very frequent now. I don't want to have to turn off Instant-On, but it's really annoying.

Can we have an option to disable backgrounds altogether? It's clearly the camera changes and animations causing it. I'm fine with a black background as long as I can play the game smoothly.
  • Chuck_NorrisChuck_Norris Opening Act
    Yeah I've noticed it recently again, too.
  • ZenzukiZenzuki Unsigned
    edited March 21
    Since this latest patch, it has now become a "constant" hitch. It seems almost timed with the music (but a bit off), and continues without ever clearing up. It's like the note chart is "chugging" along. Not sure how it affects other charts, but it makes following the vocal charts very irritating (since they scroll across the screen)!!! This is different then the "laggy" type stutter I've seen before (which would clear up after a while). This creates hella eyestrain, having to constantly re-adjust to the note pipes (and beat sections) as they keep skipping along.

Not sure why this crap keeps being introduced into this games code or creeping back after seemingly corrected, but...
    Please sort this out HMX!

None of this was an issue in any of the previous (old tech) versions of the game. Why is it so hard to get right with these new consoles with better specs? Ugh!!!
    Zenzuki said:

Since this latest patch, it has now become a "constant" hitch. It seems almost timed with the music (but a bit off), and continues without ever clearing up. It's like the note chart is "chugging" along. Not sure how it affects other charts, but it makes following the vocal charts very irritating (since they scroll across the screen)!!! This is different then the "laggy" type stutter I've seen before (which would clear up after a while). This creates hella eyestrain, having to constantly re-adjust to the note pipes (and beat sections) as they keep skipping along.

Not sure why this crap keeps being introduced into this games code or creeping back after seemingly corrected, but...

None of this was an issue in any of the previous (old tech) versions of the game. Why is it so hard to get right with these new consoles with better specs? Ugh!!!

I get both freeze spikes and that chugging kinda buffering slowdown you're mentioning.

The chugging would happen at a certain part in Kick It Out during last week's spotlight every time.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    Zenzuki said:

i have a feeling the new consoles have a lot more background tasks going on while games are being played... and HMX's code isn't doing enough to isolate the important, time-sensitive components of the game engine from the performance impacts those background tasks are having.

i'm on PS4, and i don't have the same kind or degree of stuttering issues others have reported, but i have noticed that the calibration issues i've suffered seem to get worse the longer the PS4 has been on in "sleep" mode without a true restart.
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star
    uppyb0t said:

Last one wasn't so bad, but it's becoming very frequent now. I don't want to have to turn off Instant-On, but it's really annoying.

Can we have an option to disable backgrounds altogether? It's clearly the camera changes and animations causing it. I'm fine with a black background as long as I can play the game smoothly.

Is it clear? Asking honestly. Maybe the December patch cleared up most issues for Xbox people, and now it's just the cameras and animations causing whatever issues remain? Not sure.

Over on the PS4 side we still know as much as we did in October when this was introduced (or if not introduced, heavily increased the likelihood of experience). Hopefully not, but I can't shake the feeling that this will end up being this gen's XMB crash bug, in that it just never gets fixed.
  • The stuttering has made it practically unplayable on PS4 unless you reboot the console which i refuse to do, I usually just switch to another game.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    well, the other thing is it seems to affect people differently. for one person, it makes the game unplayable, while for another on the same console, it's barely even noticeable.

it's like the old PS3 XMB bug except it mutated into a form that now affects xboxes as well. as somebody who suffered the dreaded PS3 XMB issue, if this follows the same course, don't expect too much. the XMB bug never did get resolved.
  • Ugh, I really hate the XMB bug... Hope this doesn't become XMB bug 2.0
  • tnevaker said:

well, the other thing is it seems to affect people differently. for one person, it makes the game unplayable, while for another on the same console, it's barely even noticeable.

it's like the old PS3 XMB bug except it mutated into a form that now affects xboxes as well. as somebody who suffered the dreaded PS3 XMB issue, if this follows the same course, don't expect too much. the XMB bug never did get resolved.

Yeah, I don't foresee a fix anytime soon unfortunately.
  • I know for sure it was introduced when Rivals launched. Before Rivals I never had stuttering. Post Rivals I always get it at some point or other in a play session.

I kind of wish I could uninstall just Rivals to get rid of it. I don't play crews, finished the Rockumentary, I don't play the limited online. There's really no need for me to have Rivals except for the nice sorting and filtering introduced, but at this point I think I would give it up to never get stuttering.

The XMB bug was horrid. I remember I was playing the endless setlist and got to the second to last song and it crashed to XMB. I almost smashed my guitar to bits in anger.
    SmashMan said:

uppyb0t said:

Is it clear? Asking honestly. Maybe the December patch cleared up most issues for Xbox people, and now it's just the cameras and animations causing whatever issues remain? Not sure.

Over on the PS4 side we still know as much as we did in October when this was introduced (or if not introduced, heavily increased the likelihood of experience). Hopefully not, but I can't shake the feeling that this will end up being this gen's XMB crash bug, in that it just never gets fixed.
    Well, I'm almost certain every stutter has happened during a certain visualization.

I'm on XBOne and it was gone for a while, so I reactivated Instant-On and it still didn't return.

It has definitely come back now.
  • I can live with the stuttering, as annoying it is. But damn when the calibration changes mid song and I'm missing every 3rd note during a really simple drum pattern really grinds my gears.
    Yeah, it murdered my Danger Zone FC.
    Then I murdered it myself right at the end:

Nobody out murders me!
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act

The stuttering has made it practically unplayable on PS4 unless you reboot the console which i refuse to do, I usually just switch to another game.

Are you talking about going to the power menu and selecting shut down PS4 or is there some other reboot method you're talking about?

I've only had this happen to me once. I always shut down the PS4 and it did not happen the following day or since.
  • bandaddybandaddy Rising Star
    edited March 22
    korndog81 said:

I can live with the stuttering, as annoying it is. But damn when the calibration changes mid song and I'm missing every 3rd note during a really simple drum pattern really grinds my gears.

I dunno, the stuttering is pretty annoying, too. But I definitely agree with the roaming calibration being worse. I was actually trying to find if it was early or late a few times, it was so persistent. Then suddenly it's back on. I don't understand this. In previous rock band, for calibration I just set it and forget it. It always stayed the same - session to session, week to week, year to year, online or local play. Now it seems I have to re-cal every so other week, and having it change during a song is just unacceptable.

Did not the new developers have access to the old code that made rock band operate properly? Seems it would be easy to just take something that works and tweak it for the new game. (goes for online play as well)
  • The stuttering has made it practically unplayable on PS4 unless you reboot the console which i refuse to do, I usually just switch to another game.

Are you talking about going to the power menu and selecting shut down PS4 or is there some other reboot method you're talking about?

I've only had this happen to me once. I always shut down the PS4 and it did not happen the following day or since.
    I've tried every way. Almost everytime I load up the game I have stuttering issues within 10-15 minutes in.
    I refuse to keep rebooting my system for a game that obviously has a bug that needs fixed. I know it's not a system issue when a PS4 can run Witcher 3 pretty darn good.
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    Had my first real case of the stutters yesterday playing ¿Viva La Gloria? on Ps4.

A reboot fixed it but not sure why it happened.

• The stutter / frame drops are becoming a serious problem for me. I tried about everything: re-initiate PS4, move RB data to external HD, rebuild PS4 database, clean up HD, disconnect camera, disconnect Network, connect instruments and log in profiles before launching the game etc...

The game is almost unplayable, this needs to be fixed asap!
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    edited March 29
    the sound drop outs are still present with optical output. i switched from HDMI. the sound is quite different, though. has anyone tried hardwiring the PS4 instead of wireless internet access? could that possibly be the culprit for any of these problems?
  • I use optical out, tried both DD and DTS format and both produce the sound dropping.

I also have always been hard lined with an Ethernet cable on my PS4. I always get stutters and sound drops. Though sound drops are not very frequent. Maybe once every 2 hour session as opposed to every third song will stutter.
  • jakeellis01jakeellis01 Opening Act
    I posted this in the other thread, so might as well post it here:

I have a pro with boost mode enabled, and I did some serious testing regarding this. Here's my outcome.

First up, there is a significant improvement on the PS4 Pro with boost mode enabled. But it's still far from perfect. I havn't experienced any stuttering with one or two players.

Rock Band 4 on PS4 Pro still stutters when a Full Band is playing on Expert.

I have noticed the system/game stutters mostly when all players are playing on Expert, and when there are vocals involved. I have also noticed that the vocals reproduce more of a screen tearing effect rather than framedrops on PS4Pro with Boost mode enabled.

Also noticed that this does not happen all the time throughout the song, if the song has all highways filled with notes it is easily reproducable. 4 Players on Expert on a hard song with NO breakneck speed is the best way to see this.

I find that the PS4 Pro benefited from framedrops, but it's definately not a steady 60fps.

Let's hope a fix will be out for all PS4s soon, as I don't remember this was a case on launch day.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    Until recently, I only had audio dropping out for a fraction of a second, every now and then (using a launch PS4), which was annoying, but I could live with it, as it tended to drop out towards the end or at the very end of a song.

But, now I actually have stuttering happening where the screen/chart/highway kinda pauses or rubberbands for a fraction of a second, and that is a lot more noticeable and annoying. It seems the longer I play the game, the more often and frequently it happens.

I hope Harmonix fixes this. It definitely wasn't always this way.
  • Mikey35Mikey35 Rising Star
    Graffin said:

Until recently, I only had audio dropping out for a fraction of a second, every now and then (using a launch PS4), which was annoying, but I could live with it, as it tended to drop out towards the end or at the very end of a song.

But, now I actually have stuttering happening where the screen/chart/highway kinda pauses or rubberbands for a fraction of a second, and that is a lot more noticeable and annoying. It seems the longer I play the game, the more often and frequently it happens.

I hope Harmonix fixes this. It definitely wasn't always this way.

Its that rubberband feeling that Im sure keeps throwing off the calibration, which is a huge aggrivation in itself.

• I noticed the more people you add to the band the worse it gets. So our full band party last weekend was a complete failure. It was completely unplayable at some point, even after multiple reboots and every possible precaution. I really hope this is going to be fixed, if it stays as is RB4 is history and we're going back to RB3.
  • I noticed the more people you add to the band the worse it gets. So our full band party last weekend was a complete failure. It was completely unplayable at some point, even after multiple reboots and every possible precaution. I really hope this is going to be fixed, if it stays as is RB4 is history and we're going back to RB3.

The funny thing is I haven't experienced stutters for quite a while (like, probably some months) and in my bday (in March) I got a full band of friends and it didn't stutter... They were mostly playing on Easy/Medium (while I play on Expert).

Also, a full band of Expert players on online didn't cause stutters for me.

Since I have a launch PS4 I guess I'm just lucky *knocks on wood*
  • Tyrus1235 said:

I noticed the more people you add to the band the worse it gets. So our full band party last weekend was a complete failure. It was completely unplayable at some point, even after multiple reboots and every possible precaution. I really hope this is going to be fixed, if it stays as is RB4 is history and we're going back to RB3.

The funny thing is I haven't experienced stutters for quite a while (like, probably some months) and in my bday (in March) I got a full band of friends and it didn't stutter... They were mostly playing on Easy/Medium (while I play on Expert).

Mines a launch PS4. This is an underlying Harmonix issue though. There's no way a PS4 can run Witcher 3 pretty dang good but can't even keep a rock band game from stuttering . This is developer errors
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star

Tyrus1235 said:

I noticed the more people you add to the band the worse it gets. So our full band party last weekend was a complete failure. It was completely unplayable at some point, even after multiple reboots and every possible precaution. I really hope this is going to be fixed, if it stays as is RB4 is history and we're going back to RB3.

Mines a launch PS4. This is an underlying Harmonix issue though. There's no way a PS4 can run Witcher 3 pretty dang good but can't even keep a rock band game from stuttering . This is developer errors
    Comparing two totally different games isn't really accurate. It'd be better to compare RB4 and RB4: Rivals. There should be no reason a PS4 could run RB4 smoothly and stutter after Rivals.

Anyone done any tests lately to try and find a way to reproduce it 100% of the time? Josh said on Reddit that's where the trouble is - they can't reliably reproduce the bug.

So we're probably going to need to pool our resources here, compile info, and try to find a common denominator to help out.
  • SmashMan said:

Tyrus1235 said:

Comparing two totally different games isn't really accurate. It'd be better to compare RB4 and RB4: Rivals. There should be no reason a PS4 could run RB4 smoothly and stutter after Rivals.

Anyone done any tests lately to try and find a way to reproduce it 100% of the time? Josh said on Reddit that's where the trouble is - they can't reliably reproduce the bug.

So we're probably going to need to pool our resources here, compile info, and try to find a common denominator to help out.
    When people are claiming it's a hardware issue though it seems weird that the PS4 can run much bigger and more pushing games than RB though. Final Fantasy could be another example, runs that almost flawless.
    This is definitely much more than a hardware issue...