The stutter / lag is real

Comments

• jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    edited May 8
    If you're going to add equipment I think it's probably worth asking about connecting directly to the TV or passing through a receiver that handles surround as well. I run my 4 devices through an Onkyo surround receiver first then pass through to my various audio/video output sources.
  • SadSandwichSadSandwich Unsigned
    nuttzo31 said:

I still believe that the tv model is significant because fancy tvs have alot of movie optimization and maybe some can't be disabled but that wouldn't account for audio stutter.

I'm glad turning off all your TV features solved the issue for you. I did not change my TV or any part of my setup the day Rivals came out I.e the day the stuttering started. There is a software issue here that coincided with Rivals' release.

For @jaystonepk's question about connecting directly to the TV versus pass through in the receiver - I have always run optical direct to my receiver, HDMI direct to my TV and I have the PS4 set to only output audio through optical not both.
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star

nuttzo31 said:

I still believe that the tv model is significant because fancy tvs have alot of movie optimization and maybe some can't be disabled but that wouldn't account for audio stutter.

I'm glad turning off all your TV features solved the issue for you. I did not change my TV or any part of my setup the day Rivals came out I.e the day the stuttering started. There is a software issue here that coincided with Rivals' release.

For @jaystonepk's question about connecting directly to the TV versus pass through in the receiver - I have always run optical direct to my receiver, HDMI direct to my TV and I have the PS4 set to only output audio through optical not both.
    Agreed. If people want to collect TV model info, that's up to them (I won't stop anyone from providing any and all info they can for this), but unless everyone experiencing stutter happened to change TVs on the same day Rivals released, I don't think it's going to lead to much.
  • nuttzo31 said:

Maybe if someone made a template of questions it may narrow down the issue

Like ps4 model
    Tv model
    Amount of dlc
    HDMI or Optical sound output
    Solo or online/band play.
    Console connected to internet etc.

Im using a regular white non pro ps4 with optical sound out and my experience is butter smooth apart from one occasion where a green day song was stuttery.

My own experience with fancy TVs is that it's nearly impossible to calibrate for them. With a couple of LG TVs (one Smart and another not) I could not, for the life of me, find a good calibration number - especially for drums.
    Thankfully, my own TV is fine - first time trying auto-cal and all instruments are peachy :D

As for the stuttering, I play mostly on my own TV, which is not a Smart TV, and I am actually not sure if I have Game Mode on. Nonetheless, as I have mentioned previously, my release PS4 has barely seen any stuttering - definitely no stuttering at all on full-band online play.
    Did feel a bit of it with a 2-person band (locally) but it only lasted for some seconds.

That said, as soon as I got Rivals (in its release, as I pre-ordered it) I did get some horrible stuttering playing solo - up to a point I could not play guitar or drums at all! But, as far as I recall, it barely lasted a week and soon was back to normal(-ish, as I seem to notice some fps drops here and there rarely).
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    Ok,finally got hit with this bug after recalibrating,something went haywire.

I'm all good again now though I'm not sure what I did apart from recalibrating and switching the tv back and forth from hdmi.

I noticed my video calibration jumped from 70ms to 150ms for no apparent reason but I left it for now.
  • tiagosouzatiagosouza Unsigned
    I dont suffer lag on Xbox One S when on Quickplay.

When it happens its on Career Mode.
    PS. On Vocals.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    Thing is i don't have that much of a fancy TV, it's from 2009 and doesn't even have any of the new "anti-stutter" features most claim. I have tried this game on new and old TVs and no matter what it stutters for me.
    It could be a DLC count issue (i always thought the XMB issue on ps3 was related between their server and having lots of DLC). I have over 2000+ dlc (On PS3 i had close to the max with RBN).

• Thing is i don't have that much of a fancy TV, it's from 2009 and doesn't even have any of the new "anti-stutter" features most claim. I have tried this game on new and old TVs and no matter what it stutters for me.
    It could be a DLC count issue (i always thought the XMB issue on ps3 was related between their server and having lots of DLC). I have over 2000+ dlc (On PS3 i had close to the max with RBN).

Well, I only have 480 songs - RB4+Rivals tracks included. I guess that may be one of the factors? Although I'm pretty sure I got some stuttering while singing yesterday - felt like the vox lane was jittering back and forth a bit at parts in one song. I was playing on the big arena/stadium/idk venue, so maybe that too is a factor?
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    It is ok solo but played with a 4 person band today, brutal.
  • gaiacatgaiacat Unsigned
    @Tyrus1235 - I never had stuttering on vox until recently. Now it is on a lot of songs but still more subtle than other instruments for me. :neutral:
  • I had a lot of stuttering after downloading the second batch of delisted songs on Friday so maybe @Dangimarocker is right about DLC quantity being a big factor.
  • SadSandwichSadSandwich Unsigned
    I played for maybe 2 hours last night. I had the worst stuttering I have ever had. Didn't seem to matter what venue. I restarted the PS4 and it did nothing where that was my usual go to fix.

I played for maybe 2 hours last night. I had the worst stuttering I have ever had. Didn't seem to matter what venue. I restarted the PS4 and it did nothing where that was my usual go to fix.

For me it was changing calibration settings which triggered the stuttering.

Perhaps try changing the calibration numbers manually to even numbers of use the auto calibration of the guitar if you have one then restart the game.

Calibration did nothing to fix my stuttering . I at first, when rivals was first released kept thinking it was my tv or my calibration so I sat in that menu for over 48 hours trying to fix my calibration/stuttering issues.
    I am still saying it's rock central/ or dlc amount issues.. just like the xmb issue

Calibration did nothing to fix my stuttering . I at first, when rivals was first released kept thinking it was my tv or my calibration so I sat in that menu for over 48 hours trying to fix my calibration/stuttering issues.
    I am still saying it's rock central/ or dlc amount issues.. just like the xmb issue

It's unlikely unless people with issues have a massive library.

I have 1300+ songs and I play whilst connected online and haven't had any issue except when changing calibration.
  • LarryLafferLarryLaffer Unsigned
    Do you play alone or with more people/instruments? I noticed a significant increase of stutter and lag when playing with 3 people, while alone there's pretty much no problem.

Do you play alone or with more people/instruments? I noticed a significant increase of stutter and lag when playing with 3 people, while alone there's pretty much no problem.

I've never played multiplayer on RB4
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    The Stutter/lag has gotten far worse for me this last week. It's interesting because I didn't have a problem with the prior challenge, but with the mother's day challenge..it was really hard to get decent scores. It just went crazy..even so far as to actually bring a song to a dead stop. So frustrating, and if that wasn't enough, it was nearly impossible to connect with the server. I tried all day long to be able to look check my stats and finish playing before the challenge deadline. I'll allow, that I don't get full fc's as a rule, but I do get gold stars, and this stutter glitch is messing up my gaming experience. :'(
    edited May 18
    rkbdgurl said:

The Stutter/lag has gotten far worse for me this last week. It's interesting because I didn't have a problem with the prior challenge, but with the mother's day challenge..it was really hard to get decent scores. It just went crazy..even so far as to actually bring a song to a dead stop. So frustrating, and if that wasn't enough, it was nearly impossible to connect with the server. I tried all day long to be able to look check my stats and finish playing before the challenge deadline. I'll allow, that I don't get full fc's as a rule, but I do get gold stars, and this stutter glitch is messing up my gaming experience. :'(

Funny you mention that. I just tried to play right after this week's weekly challenge (vocal one) started and my game was unplayable. Literally felt like it knocked my calibration from almost-perfect to notes weren't even close with how much it was stuttering. :(
    edited May 19
    ....and today I started on the new Rivals challenge, and played for several hours, with no stutter at all.. weird.
    (i played all instruments, including vox.) got one fc and a couple gold stars..so at least for today, it seemed fixed, hope it lasts.
    rkbdgurl said:

....and today I started on the new Rivals challenge, and played for several hours, with no stutter at all.. weird.
    (i played all instruments, including vox.) got one fc and a couple gold stars..so at least for today, it seemed fixed, hope it lasts.

Once I restarted my ps4 2-3 times my stutter pretty much vanished until I got about an hour into playing . It's so weird lol
    Yep..today I had a bit of a stutter...just the faintest hint in one song, but that was it, so not a big problem today. Yay!
  • thewickedchildthewickedchild Opening Act
    Normally dont see much of this, but got hit with it a bit while playing earlier... kinda had to play mostly by sound for awhile.
  • GeOMatriXGeOMatriX Opening Act
    Played last night locally with a full band. Random stuttering to the point of almost being unplayable. Really depends what stage it is in the background also.

The auto calibration kicked in mid song. Only way to hit notes sometimes was to play to the audio. Haven't played solo in some time but I didn't have the stuttering last time I played and seem to hit this highway stuttering only during adding more players locally.
    Had minor stuttering yesterday every couple of songs (assuming stages had to do with it.. I don't recall which ones I was in because I rarely look at the background) . Didn't make it unplayable on this occasion, but it was still annoying and noticeable.
    Had company over last night and tried to play with just two people local. The stuttering made the game completely unplayable. I shut the game off because it just became too frustrating.
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    It's like the game can't render the animations fast enough at times and RB is a game that's reliant on framerate down the the millisecond.

If they can't fix it for the next update, hopefully they add a venue select or no animations option to have a workaround until they can.

Or just keep the venue select, regardless. Sometimes angles can disrupt visibility.
    I played for many hours over the weekend and again today without a big problem. A slight hesitation on one song today while I was grinding and working on some Gold stars. Held my breath and crossed my fingers. All in all, a pretty successful day.
  • gaiacatgaiacat Unsigned
    rkbdgurl said:

I played for many hours over the weekend and again today without a big problem. A slight hesitation on one song today while I was grinding and working on some Gold stars. Held my breath and crossed my fingers. All in all, a pretty successful day.

It's sad that this is viewed as one of our successes. I agree with venue selection or the ability to take out background if it would make the lag/stutter stop.
    edited May 24
    What's really sad is to think that we would have to give up backgrounds, and certain venues in order to play the game without the stutter. I can't imagine people trying to play "Call of Duty" in Nuketown or something, without being able to actually see Nuketown. Why should we RB'rs have to settle? This should be a high priority on the hmx radar. If they are serious enough to threaten a complete wipe to rule out cheating exploits in Rivals ...how about correcting the things that we know for a fact are sabotaging honest player scores. *steps off of soapbox*