The stutter / lag is real

Comments

• jakeellis01jakeellis01 Opening Act
    edited June 8
    EvilMunky said:

Online multiplayer since patch has been pretty much flawless for me as far as frame rate. I do have one minor graphical glitch with guitar sustains, but otherwise very smooth.

I know what you mean, this happens to me too on guitar sustains when playing online, minor but still a nuisance.
    EvilMunky said:

I still get the frame lag in offline multiplayer though. The ONLY way I have found to combat this (and I'm sure this has probably been mentioned somewhere in this thread) is to make sure ALL the instruments you plan to use are connected to the system BEFORE starting the game.

It seems any time you switch back to the PS4 OS the lag gets introduced. Unfortunately, what this means is, if someone wants to join mid-session, you have to reboot the game. If you want to switch profiles mid-session, you have to reboot the game.

I havn't tried local multiplayer yet, but this is were I experienced lag\tearing in the past. Sucks that this hasn't been fixed, especially since the equipment usually auto sleeps when taking a break.

Will have to test out myself but kinda disappointed as this is the exact issue I was hoping for a fix.
  • EvilMunkyEvilMunky Unsigned

I havn't tried local multiplayer yet, but this is were I experienced lag\tearing in the past. Sucks that this hasn't been fixed, especially since the equipment usually auto sleeps when taking a break.

Will have to test out myself but kinda disappointed as this is the exact issue I was hoping for a fix.

My main issue with it is the switching of profiles. I swap instruments a lot and like to stay on my profile. LoL Nothing I hate more than getting a new FC under a friend's account.

That being said, even if switching profiles didn't cause the stutter, I really wish there was an in-game method of profile switching. It's possible I don't know the PS4 OS as well as I should, but from what I do know, changing profiles from the PS button menu is a clunky PITA.
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    edited June 8
    (pre patch) once again hit with this bug when changing calibration settings.

A restart fixed it.

For me I can just about reproduce it but hopefully the new patch will render the calibration issues moot.

I'm waiting on the patch,it will take days because I'm an Aussie.
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    edited June 8
    The first time I tried multiplayer and rb4 in months and the vocal lane was stuttering while the guitar lane was solid.

• I can safely say that if you see any stuttering on XB1 now it's because your XB1 has temporarily disconnected from Xbox Live, not because of some problem with RB4.
  • jncselljncsell Opening Act
    edited June 10
    My wife and I started playing again after about a year hiatus. The lag, hanging, and freezing bugs make this annoying. Earlier we had to restart the game five times to get it to load. Once in the game we twice experienced a 30-second+ hang we had to wait out.
  • joseph5185joseph5185 Opening Act
    Part of the problem is that the Xbox is instinctively crap .. =/

But I have not had issues since the update.
  • jakeellis01jakeellis01 Opening Act
    edited June 10
    Havn't seen any stuttering since the update... and I also tried full band local co-op.

I hate that guitar sustain graphic glitch though which also appeared when playing offline.
  • @jakeellis01 I'm not sure it's a glitch. It may be intentional as you don't get points during that time so it may be related to preventing the overdrive exploit, @HMXOwl would know.
  • Mikey35Mikey35 Rising Star
    I had my first stuttering since the update last night on ps4. I have played almost everyday since the update with no issues. It wasnt as bad as some Ive had before but noticeable enough to yell at my tv screaming fu@$ right off!!
  • abz999abz999 Unsigned
    we played full band on friday and the lanes were smooth as butter all night
  • SadSandwichSadSandwich Unsigned
    I played this past weekend with my usual set up and had zero stutter. Considering before the patch I had stutter every single time I played for the past several months something has improved for sure.
  • I've noticed way less stuttering but now I'm having calibration issues haha.
    I'll just try to solve them on my own. it's annoying though and makes me not want to play the game...
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited June 14
    welp, played last night and experienced quite a bit of stuttering. first time it's stuttered on me since the update came out. there's obviously work left to do with this.

like some previous times, this was experienced at a time when i presume there was heavy server load with a lot of people playing at the same time, with season 0 coming to an end and lots of people probably trying to cram in some last minute rivals XP.
  • KazooKazoo Unsigned
    The only stuttering I've observed is when the regular controller I'm using to allow me to be in party chat powers down during a song. (I'm going to try to power the controller via USB to prevent it from shutting down.)

This is in single-player, btw.
  • billybobjoe1881billybobjoe1881 Rising Star
    I visited the store last night, to pick up my new shirts, which I wasn't given. Then I noticed some new bass guitars that I didn't have money for. Went to play tour mode, to earn more money, and everytime I was given a stage presence award, the screen jumped, and my calibration went off. By the time I hit my third song, I was missing every fifth note.
  • KazooKazoo Unsigned
    Restarting the game/console help? Or did you have to recalibrate?
  • LarryLafferLarryLaffer Unsigned
    edited June 17
    I had quite a successful local band party yesterday, but had to take an awful lot of precautions:

-moved all content except rb4 from internal to external HD, disconnected the drive afterwards
    -rebuilt database from ps4 safe mode
    -disconnected the camera
    -disabled the internet connection from the ps4 settings menu
    -audio output Dolby Digital instead of DTS
    -logged into all accounts before starting the game
    -avoided the dashboard

This was our 1st stutter free 6 hour experience since the Rivals update. We even figured out how to get 3 vocal harmonies to work :smile: .
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    I've noticed that if I have anything downloading in the background then it lags horribly pretty frequently.
    I'm running it all off a external drive though so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.
  • GLaDOS said:

I've noticed that if I have anything downloading in the background then it lags horribly pretty frequently.
    I'm running it all off a external drive though so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

No i've noticed this with the internal drive as well. I won't download stuff when I play RB anymore because the stuttering is pretty awful when doing so.
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    My RB console is no longer set as my home console and I've now got a few hiccups.

It stuttered during an Aerosmith song causing me to restart the song, then it didn't stutter again.

I believe it was during Dream On.
  • abz999abz999 Unsigned
    the only thing I changed myself was swapping out the default hdd for a cheap-ish SSD, maybe it makes a difference with the background tasks ... dunno B)
  • SadSandwichSadSandwich Unsigned
    abz999 said:

the only thing I changed myself was swapping out the default hdd for a cheap-ish SSD, maybe it makes a difference with the background tasks ... dunno B)

It definitely would. Mechanical HD's slow down significantly with simultaneous read/write access in different sectors of the HD as the arm goes back and forth to read in one spot for say playing RB and the writes in another spot for say a download. SSD's don't have this physical limitation of the mechanical arm.
  • abz999abz999 Unsigned

abz999 said:

It definitely would. Mechanical HD's slow down significantly with simultaneous read/write access in different sectors of the HD as the arm goes back and forth to read in one spot for say playing RB and the writes in another spot for say a download. SSD's don't have this physical limitation of the mechanical arm.
    yes, but i dont know if the stock drive is able to cope with RB and the background tasks (ie. did the SSD fix anything)
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    Just had TERRIBLE stutter on down with the sickness. Haven't been playing much so haven't been able to tell if the issue is back fully yet.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    edited July 6
    Happens quite a bit to me, when I playing local multiplayer (esp with both bass and guitar). Also some venues like the big stage that cuts through the middle of the audience. Happens all the time in that venue.
    edited July 20
    Today i got on with a bud on xbone and 90% of the songs stuttered and desynced the calibration.

It's beyond infuriating when you're trying to maintain a positive vibe when the **** is continuously happening.

We both ended up having enough and played on our own.

Enough is enough. Blank fackin screen fackin plz! I don't care about ambience, I care about functionality.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    The game stuttered badly for me only once, for a period of about a week many months ago. It was doing it a number of times during a song (though not every song?). It freaked me out, because yes it completely ruined the game for me. My n00b friends didn't seem bothered by it. Does the stutter really only last 40ms? How do you measure something like that? And apparently that's all it takes to throw everything off, wow.
    I can restart the song playing solo or at least pause the game, but online you're basically stuck in the moment.

When notes start travelling past the 'now bar', you can only take so much.
  • uppyb0t said:

I can restart the song playing solo or at least pause the game, but online you're basically stuck in the moment.

When notes start travelling past the 'now bar', you can only take so much.

Rarely restarting fixes mine so I don't bother restarting. I just close the game and find something else to play unfortunately.
    Oddly the latest patches have decreased the stutter, but every so often there will be times it's so bad you can't enjoy yourself. It just happens less frequently now but when it does you better hope it's not when you invited friends over for local.