The stutter / lag is real

Comments

• thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    I've had one stuttery session on ps4 this week. Most sessions are smooth, but one time it was awful. Can't figure out what caused the awful session. Nothing was downloading, no other applications were running. It was just all low-and-erratic frame rate during guitar song play. That one time. By the next day and since it was normal again.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    i've only experienced a few sporadic random instances so far. maybe 2 or 3 times. none were bad enough to break my streak and only lasted a couple seconds. looked like a frame-rate issue more than anything else.
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    edited October 2016
    Mine isn't so much a slowdown as it is like a frame freeze then cut to it's current position.

Like mentioned before a hard boot will cure it for a time. As you play more and progress through the library, previews start taking a long time to play and then selecting a song and instrument can also hang for a long time.
    A lag on a local game.

Are the servers checking to make sure I'm online when I select a song?
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    Friend of mine is also getting this, according to him the game also desyncs a bit after every freeze. making every note after it have slightly different timing from the usual. I can see how that'd be a real problem even if you manage to hit the freeze
  • Delibird444Delibird444 Opening Act
    edited October 2016
    uppyb0t said:

Are the servers checking to make sure I'm online when I select a song?

No, but the console does have to reach out to Xbox Live to make sure you have a console or account license to use that content before it loads (which can mean super long load times for previews and song loading screens if you have a bad connection.)

This also happened on Xbox 360, though. When playing online, the console would check to make sure the content was licensed, and on the much slower satellite I had back then, it means song previews took up to a minute to load. Play offline, and the console would just say "hey, this console is authorized to play this" instantly. It's also why disc songs never have a wait time for the preview.

Interestingly, my PS3 and Wii did not have this license check. Sounds like a Microsoft thing.
  • XtremeNightsXtremeNights Opening Act
    edited October 2016
    I started to notice a trend. Just like a game called Table Top Racing. The more you go to the dashboard, and then back to the game, the worse the stuttering gets. I think this is playing into it as well.

So to put down the few factors:
    1: The longer you play, the worse it gets
    2: Possible memory leak
    3: Going to Dashboard and back to game also makes it worse
    4: Bigger Stages Stutter the worst
    5: I had to increase(Delay) my audio calibration number by 10ms
  • ^^ Exact same thing, except I decreased my video by 10. Weirdly enough (might be just coincidence), I've experienced less stutter since I started to use 1.25/1.50 breakneck speed instead of default.
  • SadSandwichSadSandwich Unsigned
    edited October 2016
    For me, I noticed that it seemed to be based on the background. For example, I was playing a song in the arcade that switched in and out of black and white but the note hwy was fairly consistent with how many notes were on it at any one time. When it was black and white it was stutter free, as soon as it switched to colour it started stuttering like crazy.

I thought it was just me because I changed HDMI cables, thinking maybe the cable was garbage or something, but I am happy to see this thread.

I am on PS4 and had zero stutter problems before installing Rivals.

edited October 2016
    zabigg said:

^^ Exact same thing, except I decreased my video by 10. Weirdly enough (might be just coincidence), I've experienced less stutter since I started to use 1.25/1.50 breakneck speed instead of default.

I also was about to do mine.

I made sure I did a hard boot first and went straight into RB4. Maybe the calibration will be good, but I was definitely missing notes I should have been hitting. Mainly HOPOs.

It seemed like there was so much more grace before.
    AFter the hard boot the calibration is great again and HOPOs are responding nicely along with a good before and after note video buffer.
  • I've found another interesting bit of info, the XB1 OS doesn't really like the legacy adapter anymore. Everytime I start up my XB1 with my GHWoR guitar it takes about an hour for indexing but if I start with my Halo 5 XB1 controller everything is properly indexed straight away.
  • I've found another interesting bit of info, the XB1 OS doesn't really like the legacy adapter anymore. Everytime I start up my XB1 with my GHWoR guitar it takes about an hour for indexing but if I start with my Halo 5 XB1 controller everything is properly indexed straight away.

Weird. I have no indexing problems with my RB2 Fender + adapter. Takes about 30 sec from launch to menu, maybe less. I only have 864 songs, though.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Hopefully the next patch fixes this, it's a bit ridiculous. I have to hard reset and cool down my Xbox every time i want to play the game to ensure it doesn't start stuttering after 3 or 4 songs. I literally just had the game freeze for about 10-15 seconds while the song kept playing. I couldn't even pause the game.

I have found that if you perform a system update with these things plugged in, it takes much, much longer. Around an hour and a half for me last time.

Other than that, since moving to Xbox One S, I've had literally no performance issues. It's been glorious.
  • How was the move @Delibird444 ? I'm thinking of moving on to a better XB around the holidays, but a lot of stuff is on an external drive. Will that be an issue?
  • Everything I own is on an external drive. Moving things with an external is a lot faster than redownloading... but then you have to wait for the new Xbox to index all of it. It took 14 days of being powered on for my Xbox to find it all.
  • Everything I own is on an external drive. Moving things with an external is a lot faster than redownloading... but then you have to wait for the new Xbox to index all of it. It took 14 days of being powered on for my Xbox to find it all.

14 days? I really hope you're joking...
  • zabigg said:

Everything I own is on an external drive. Moving things with an external is a lot faster than redownloading... but then you have to wait for the new Xbox to index all of it. It took 14 days of being powered on for my Xbox to find it all.

I wish.
  • zabigg said:

Everything I own is on an external drive. Moving things with an external is a lot faster than redownloading... but then you have to wait for the new Xbox to index all of it. It took 14 days of being powered on for my Xbox to find it all.

I wish.
    Welcome to Gen 8!
  • Same stuttering issue since the latest patch last week on the PS4. We have not seen actual freezes, but it hitches along for all instruments many times throughout the entire song which is annoying. Sometimes it is less noticeable, but prior to the update, it was perfectly smooth across the board. I'll try to pay attention to exact circumstances next time we play.
  • I've had stuttering problems for months on the Xbox One. The workaround for me is to restart RB4 from scratch every time I want to play, and to restart the Xbox One itself on a regular basis. Rebooted the Xbox One this morning, thus RB4 launched from scratch as well, and it's been running smooth.

It was so bad at one point that I just didn't play the game. It is much better now but I do the same thing you suggest and it seems to help. I restart my XboxOne at least daily and maybe even multiple times if I'm playing Rock Band a lot.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited October 2016
    Played an almost full band session last time. The lag made it almost unplayable. We only played three songs and didn't get back on.
    Wasn't very fun. Thought the lag was gone but seems like it's almost worse now.
    PS4 btw.
  • yep, had a horrible session this Friday, Xbox One, full band with all their own profiles in offline mode. stuttering/lagging non-stop. tried to reset cache reset/restart multiple times with no difference. Went home Saturday and played alone with my profile, console online, same thing stuttering/laggy tried multiple cache resets/restarts no difference......
  • I agree. It's as if the game or console is running a background process or check. And it is worse with more than one player. I always quit every other app before I play, but I still get some stuttering. Shouldn't the Xbox be programmed to not run any other tasks while a game is running?
  • zabigg said:

I agree. It's as if the game or console is running a background process or check. And it is worse with more than one player. I always quit every other app before I play, but I still get some stuttering. Shouldn't the Xbox be programmed to not run any other tasks while a game is running?

On the contrary! The Xbox One seems like it was designed to prioritize absolutely everything BUT video games.

Want to play Forza? No problem! Let me just check every game you own for an update while you do that...

Ready for some Rock Band? Awesome! Hope you enjoy these maintenance tasks I'm running while you play!
  • White_PawZWhite_PawZ Road Warrior
    Same here....

Xbox One and the game catches and stutters but we cannot find a pattern sadly
  • I'll say it again -- we NEED an awwww :( button. (Think Boogie Bunnies; so cute). That's how I wanted to react to deli's 14 days of indexing and pawz's addition to this sad thread...
  • White_PawZWhite_PawZ Road Warrior
    I'm sure it will get fixed once they figure out what is happening