How is skill calculated???

Comments

• edited October 2016
    From what I was testing tonight, I haven't taken a hit on staying in the same difficulty/number of stars, but getting a lower score. As long as the result didn't get me to a lower star rating, and I remained on Expert, I stayed at 830.

Edit: I did get 2 more gold songs, but still remained at 830.*

*Edit: I have a feeling the most efficient way to get a better skill level will be to beat any hard scores that remain on an expert difficulty first.
  • Late to the board, but wanted to add what I have found the last couple of days. I am currently 853 on vocals. Skill level is usually going up 1 point for GS on new songs including a disc song that I had not played. 5 stars is usually not changing my skill. When I replay songs that I had previously played on lower levels or only 3 starred, I am getting a much bigger boost, one gave me 4 points. Improving from 3 stars to 4 stars on a single song did not change my skill that I noticed , but 4 to 5 would "recoup" a point. I am currently at disc song score of 6,384,142, total score of 18,279,847, total stars of 447, 32 gold stars, 14 expert full combos, 5 crimson stars. Crimson stars did not seem to effect my score at all. I even tried crimsoning a song before playing on expert, and I got the point only after gs on expert. The crimson was a FC too (easy rap song). FC on expert seem to sometimes add another point, but I am less sure on that assertion.
  • Looked and I am only skill 82 on Harmonies. I can do some real tests here to see what has the most effect when starting from almost zero. Looks like I only have 68,000 in disc score (1 song) and 332,000 total score. I have 0 stars, 0 gs, 0 expert fc, and 0 crimson. I will look into this the next few days.
  • edited October 2016
    Thanks. Looking forward to your results @patricide1979 :)

Edit: I hope you didn't really kill your dad.
  • gaiacatgaiacat Unsigned
    edited October 2016

What I'm uncertain of... can skill go down because of a worse-then-previous replay of a song that is already figuring in your skill calculation? (IE, is the skill calculation based on your best recorded postrivals score for a song, or on your most-recent or average or some other function where your secondbest
    But clearly, your score can go down on a poor score on a song that had no-score before you played it.

I think it is based on your best score for that song. Playing songs more than once makes no difference unless you get a higher score. I'm on a vacation this week visiting friends in another state. Ive had time to play rockband on their system a few times and im playing poorly (different instruments, calibration, etc). Im not penalized on songs ive already played when i score lower than saved high score. My skill level also doesnt increase either when i fc gold star a song that ive already done that on.
  • gaiacatgaiacat Unsigned
    edited October 2016
    zabigg said:

@gaiacat your stats confirm what I was thinking about the ratios. What's your disc score? Mine's only around 5,482,000 because I haven't played all disc songs yet. I have a feeling that all disc songs played is what gets the jump from the 800s to the 900s, as @TubaDude49 was saying earlier when we were discussing the weighing.

I wont be home till thursday to check, but you brought up a good point on the mess the leaderboard wipe made. I was missing the play all disc songs and get 5 star expert because my list showed that i had completed all on expert 5 stars and the trophy didnt pop. I had to play most again to find the songs that were wiped but still showed on my screen.

I suggest everone replay all disc songs. Grind!!!
  • zabigg said:

Thanks. Looking forward to your results @patricide1979 :)

Edit: I hope you didn't really kill your dad.

No I didn't. Love the word though! It rolls off the tongue nicely! I have committed very few -cides. Insecticide and bactericide maybe. Fratricide but that that was in the womb so it doesn't count, right?!
  • I believe i have an idea as to how its figured.

It looks at the total number of songs that you played overall.
    then it looks at either the score or the stars and assigns you a level.

If you play songs that you have a low score on and improve it it recalculates and reassigns you based on that.

I had 4 stars on a song on expert and played it on hard and FC'd it on Hard and noticed that i went up on the leaderboard my level didnt change but instead of being below said person i was now above them.
  • After some trial and error.

I discovered skill score is heavily influenced by the # of Impossible/Nightmare songs completed.

After poking around at shooting for a gold star, it didn't budge. So I bumped the difficulty to one of the hardest songs (Panic Attack). Got 5 stars (non-GS) and my Skill went up 3 points. I don't think it's limited to disc songs since Panic Attack is a RB2 track.

I think it's seriously dependent 100% on the difficulty of the song, and the score of that song. I'm sure there's a soft-cap to skill points. Maybe it'll slow down (1-2 per impossible track passed) once hitting a certain threshold.
  • This still doesn't make sense to me, as I have a FGFC on Hard Guitar, and have a low skill... I started playing Bass, because I originally only played 3 songs on Bass on disc before Rivals came out. I was at 142 skill, Gold Star FC'd about 5 songs that were zero/1-dot difficulty which brought me to 571 skill. I am now at around 13 Gold Star FC's on easy songs on Bass, and the skill has not increased even by 1 point. My guess is I have to play harder songs now for it to increase further (but I will still play the rest of the easy songs, to get scores for them).
  • Right. There has to be a threshold. I bet you would have to do only impossible songs at 900 skill to gain points. Also I'm pretty sure there's also a threshold for when you need to go to Expert, from Hard.
  • A threshold is probably set for weighing against difficulty (explaining why I lost skill points by playing unplayed songs on hard instead of expert), but reading what people are saying here and in other threads makes me think that gaining skill points while in the 900s is still possible on songs from all tiers (not just impossible), as long as you're improving. It's probably slower and more difficult, like for reaching upper XP levels in RPGs, for instance.
  • Here is what I discovered tonight. I had only played two songs previously on harmonies before rivals. They were both disc songs and I had 3 stars on a 3 dot difficulty. 4 Stars on a 1 dot. 89 skill. I have since replayed and 5 starred both (not GS) on expert. 240 skill on not sure on # of attempts as I wasn't thinking to count that at first. GS a new dl song 2 dot 440 skill with 2 attempts. 2 attempts and GS nightmare dl song and 535 skill. 4 songs total. Total stars earned stands at 39 as it counted each song play into the total. If anyone has theories or equations they want to test out, let me know. I will attempt any suggestions. I now have two of the top 1000 badges in harmonies in skill and total stars earned.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    Yup, I got it covered here:
    http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/comment/5331456/#Comment_5331456

When you got to 2 5* expert at 2 different difficulties, that was (roughly, allowing for rounding) 5/6 * 2/7 * 1000. 5 out of 6 for expert 5 stars (you only get 6 out of 6 for GS), 2 tiers out of 7, and nothing else ... is around 238. Again, allowing for rounding I could see that getting chalked up as 240. Were you witnessing these skill numbers in the game or the smartphone app? From what I've seen the app rounds more generously than the game does.

You going from 240 to 440 on one song doesn't match my theories though (by how I figured it, the most one song could possibly improve your score is 143). And my math would have your final after everything you described above as 523, not 535.

Hmmm.
  • I was replying in the other thread, how funny! I just saw your math. Maybe there is a slight bonus for "improving" as many people have noticed in their scores. It surely took me several attempts to get some of those songs star count up. I may have miss remembered 240 to 440, so don't discount your math yet. I think it is holding remarkably true. My 535 is showing on both the app and in game.
  • The app does appear to update slower than the game though. I'm seeing a 1-point difference here. And song count is totally wrong. I just went from 864 (from my library count), to 861 (officially reported by the game), to 264 (reported by the app).
  • So I took that advice of getting a GS on 1 song of each tier, and it did not give me 1,000 (I am at 998). I had FC'd all said tiered songs, so what gives? My current line-up of 100% GS's on Bass:

0-dot: 4
    1-dot: 4
    2-dot: 2
    3-dot: 1
    4-dot: 1
    5-dot: 2
    6-dot: 4

I had 998 with 1 6-dot song FC'd, playing 3 more with a FC and GS'ing them did not increase it at all. I do have some songs that haven't been FC'd that are GS'd, but like it was mentioned, that shouldn't be the issue...
    edited October 2016
    If I were to guess, I would guess that some rare songs are registering as GS in the game but for some reason are only registering as 5* in the calculation. Like maybe ones that have had their GS threshold changed - maybe the game is recognizing the new lower threshold but the server side skill calculation is still using the old threshold.

Or you've been tricked by a nonsubmitting score on a song you improved from 5* to gs that is now showing you gs on your quickplay screen but the score didn't successfully upload so the servers still have a 5* as your highest recorded score.

Either that or there's another element at play here that I haven't accounted for yet. Unfortunately I'm not skilled enough to gs impossibles and be able to debug a 1000 score computation on my own.
  • My guess is a bit of an over aggressiveness in the rounding down, but it could also be like vocals were where you get all awesome but still wind up with 99%.

It'd be near impossible to know which song(s) you'd need to redo (if that would even help).
  • PaulSmartPaulSmart Unsigned
    edited October 2016
    I personally think you need to 100% all songs that you have played. I am currently at 999 skill rank on vocals on xbox one. I have over 700 at 100% (obviously gold starred) and about 40 gold starred but only 99%. I just whizzed through them when I first got rock band 4. I am slowly tidying up my songs to 100%, doing 5 or 6 a day.
    When I do my remaining songs I won't post them until I achieve 100% :)
    edited October 2016
    Some people with 1000 skill have reported having some non-100% GSes.

And my skill did not change a single point when I improved a score from barely-GS-sub-100% to GSFC.
    PaulSmart said:

I just whizzed through them when I first got rock band 4.

When did you do this?

There have been leaderboard resets that would result in your local list showing your GS that ISN'T reflected in online leaderboards. And the same can happen today when a song fails to upload its score - your local list will show a better star score than the best that ever successfully uploaded to leaderboard, so you think you've got that song GSFCd but the leaderboard thinks an older lesser play is your best.

This is why anecdotal exception cases are going to be impossible to prove or refute (and if people keep on stepping up with NUH UH I KNOW YOU'RE WRONG BECAUSE MY NUMBERS DON'T LINE UP it's just going to make me not share my findings in the future - why go out on a limb with sharing a theory if it becomes a full time job to defend it?). Local list doesn't always match leaderboard. Leaderboard can think your best score for a song is a 5* while your local machine knows you've got a GS-FC, and there's no easy way to figure out which ones are unuploaded. I think if you take your system offline and make a list of what it thinks all your best scores are offline, then go online and take a look at the online leadereboards and see if any of them don't match the first list, then you could find out which imprived scores didn't upload. But that's a pile of effort.
  • I made sure to check the leaderboards after I played each song, and they all reflected the score I had just obtained on said song. Hopefully we can figure this out soon, because I would much rather not replay songs if I don't have to lol.
  • I check all my scores on the leader board after I have sung them :)
  • edited October 2016
    I GS 25-30 songs (FC'ed 5 songs) yesterday and my guitar score only went 4 points!!! i was playing tier 3-4 songs by the way.
  • edited October 2016
    Statiic said:

I GS 25-30 songs (FC'ed 5 songs) yesterday and my guitar score only went 4 points!!! i was playing tier 3-4 songs by the way.

That's where ratio comes in.

If you had only played those songs from your entire library, your score would be perfect. Let's say you add 25 5S results to that, your rating will decrease accordingly, until you've managed to GS them as well.
  • zabigg said:

Statiic said:

That's where ratio comes in.

If you had only played those songs from your entire library, your score would be perfect. Let's say you add 25 5S results to that, your rating will decrease accordingly, until you've managed to GS them as well.
    And if your after the elusive 1,000 skill then Gold starring songs won't be enough :)

All mine are Gold Starred (740) but some are only 99% so I am skill ranked 999. Until I tidy up the random songs :)

• I'm sure you're a good guy, Paul, but I'll never attain that level of perfection, so I kinda dislike you right now. (It'll pass, don't worry!)
  • zabigg said:

I'm sure you're a good guy, Paul, but I'll never attain that level of perfection, so I kinda dislike you right now. (It'll pass, don't worry!)

I certainly haven't attained any level of perfection 999 ;)

I enjoy the game a lot, and it is fun to challenge yourself. I certainly didn't want to come across as some kind of bragger.
  • Wasn't my intent, lol. I keep forgetting my obscure sense of humour doesn't translate well in writing.
  • zabigg said:

Wasn't my intent, lol. I keep forgetting my obscure sense of humour doesn't translate well in writing.

Your right it certainly doesn't does it :)

I was trying to tell the fella that Gold starring all your songs won't be enough if you want 1,000 Skill level. You will have to at LEAST get 100% on at least 99% of them (that's expert combos). If that makes any sense :)