LiveHomeVideo's Rock Band 5 Setlist (Plus DLC!)

Comments

• MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    Some typos on the tiers I have to mention - "Shembello" on "Maniac" and "Sarah" on "Everything is Awesome" should be Sembello and Sara, respectively.

Great pack though, would definitely buy "Maniac", "La Bamba" and "Live and Let Die". Was hoping to see some cheesy '80s arena rock soundtrack hits though, like "You're the Best" or "Scarface (Push It to the Limit)".
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard

Some typos on the tiers I have to mention - "Shembello" on "Maniac" and "Sarah" on "Everything is Awesome" should be Sembello and Sara, respectively.

Great pack though, would definitely buy "Maniac", "La Bamba" and "Live and Let Die". Was hoping to see some cheesy '80s arena rock soundtrack hits though, like "You're the Best" or "Scarface (Push It to the Limit)".

Thanks for pointing those out, fixed those now. And I knew there were some big ones I missed. Oh well, there's always the possibility of a third pack ;)
    Also, since we're getting "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" this week, I'll compare your tier of it on Thursday! I believe this is the first DLC tier of yours here to get officially released.
    Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want to Have Fun [CONFIRMED FOR RB4 DLC]

Wasn't expecting that to be one of this month's surprise songs, but will definitely pick it up. And looking forward to the comparison, @MCSMeister
    Alright, here's to the first tier comparison of this thread! And more to come, of course, once Freewill and Cirice get released, and the former should be coming next week to boot.

"Girls Just Want to Have Fun" comparison

Overall, this turned out pretty good. Drums are spot-on (obviously), vocals and bass are one dot off, and guitar is two dots off. I imagine you charted guitar so high because of the wonky keyboard solo. I'm going to buy it later today, so I'll see if it's really as hard as it seems.

Also, I have to admit, the way you do your tier images makes it much easier to make these, and overall, I think it looks much cleaner than some of the other comparisons I do :)
    edited June 22

Alright, here's to the first tier comparison of this thread! And more to come, of course, once Freewill and Cirice get released, and the former should be coming next week to boot.

"Girls Just Want to Have Fun" comparison

Overall, this turned out pretty good. Drums are spot-on (obviously), vocals and bass are one dot off, and guitar is two dots off. I imagine you charted guitar so high because of the wonky keyboard solo. I'm going to buy it later today, so I'll see if it's really as hard as it seems.

Also, I have to admit, the way you do your tier images makes it much easier to make these, and overall, I think it looks much cleaner than some of the other comparisons I do :)

Thanks, linked the comparison alongside the tier proper! I tiered guitar so high because I expected the xylophone in the outro to be charted to guitar as well, though Harmonix chose not to, and as thus their chart is easier than expected. That said, I do think their 3-dot tier is a bit low as-is from what I saw, I'd say a 4-dot tier would be more fitting. Though yeah, without that crazy xylophone stuff in the outro, I can definitely see why their chart wouldn't be as highly tiered as my prediction.
    With Canada Day coming this Sunday, this week's theme is a megapack of songs by Canadian artists! Much like the Norway pack, there are 20 songs, with plenty of variety to go around. We've got some jazzy alt-rock, punk, metal (some more tame, some that's really out-there), indie, electronic, classic rock, prog rock, noise rock, new wave, pop, folk, and even children's music (that is also rather jazzy). There should be something for everyone here!

A note about "Avalanche," I realize that it isn't Leonard Cohen's most well-known song, but I think it's a great song, and decided to include it here. As for the tier, I included backing strings and piano on the bass tier. I'm not sure whether or not Harmonix would do this, but I figured it'd make for a more interesting tier.

Alexisonfire - Young Cardinals (Tier)
    Arcade Fire - Ready to Start (Tier)
    Barenaked Ladies - Box Set (Tier)
    Billy Talent - Red Flag (Tier)
    deadmau5 - Ghosts 'n' Stuff (ft. Rob Swire) (Tier)
    Evans Blue - Erase My Scars (Tier)
    Heart - Magic Man (Tier)
    Kittens - Mongoose (Tier)
    Klaatu - Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft (Tier)
    Leonard Cohen - Avalanche (Tier)
    Men Without Hats - Safety Dance (Tier)
    Nelly Furtado - I'm Like a Bird (Tier)
    The Northern Pikes - Teenland (Tier)
    Protest the Hero - Sequoia Throne (Tier)
    Raffi - Bananaphone (Tier)
    Rush - Xanadu (Tier)
    Steppenwolf - Born to be Wild (Tier)
    Strapping Young Lad - Love? (Tier)
    Sum 41 - Goddamn I'm Dead Again (Tier)
    Unexpect - Desert Urbania (Tier)
    Time for the "Freewill" comparison! Again, I haven't bought this yet (but I'm going to later this week) so I don't know how the vault edition stacks up to the original. I imagine it's only marginally different, though, at least in terms of difficulty.

"Freewill" comparison

Welp, this answers my question! Pretty doggone close; bass is spot-on and everything else is a mere one dot off, which makes sense for a song like this where everything's pretty obviously high in difficulty.
    Thanks, updated the OP so the link for that song goes to the comparison.

I kinda forgot what I hat tiered this, assumed I had tiered drums, bass and vocals devils. Yeah I definitely undertiered guitar and drums; you can blame relative tiering for that one :p

As for vocals, that one is very subjective; with the alternate take in the Vault Edition, the high-octave part isn't as all over the place as in the album version, so I can see that being five dots as opposed to devils. I'd argue bass could be devils in HMX's chart, too, though five dots is also fine.
    Ghost - Cirice [CONFIRMED FOR RB4 DLC]

I'm not really a huge fan of Ghost personally, though I did put this in the setlist since I knew they were a big-name band, and this song I sort of like. So it's good to see it coming to RB4, and I look forward to seeing if they put the keyboard solo on guitar or not.

Also, this week's RB5 DLC is coming up shortly, so stick around for that.
    With Independence Day coming tomorrow in the US, this week's pack is a little something different than other country-themed packs. This is a pack of songs with US locations in the title or artist name! Note that lyrical content isn't quite as important as the titles or band names here, though I believe they all also reference the US or Independence Day in some way. There's quite a bit of variety here, including my first tiered country song in a long while, classic rock, surf rock, alternative, emo, pop, and a weirdly post-metal-like song from a metalcore band.

Songs (Arguably) Set in the USA 01

The Beach Boys - Surfin' USA (Tier)
    The Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down to Georgia (Tier)
    Chicago - Saturday in the Park (Tier)
    The Devil Wears Prada - Chicago (Tier)
    The Eagles - Hotel California (Tier)
    Frank Black - Los Angeles (Tier)
    Hawthorne Heights - Ohio Is for Lovers (Tier)
    Katy Perry - California Gurls (ft. Snoop Dogg) (Tier)
    edited July 3
    Yup, and that'll be your last tier comparison that we know of, at least for now. Like I said on Tule's thread, I'll be doing a normal comparison, plus a three-way comparison with Tule's and HMX's tiers. That'll be on Thursday, as always.

Also, nice, for once I recognize more than just one or two of these! Creative concept too, with the US locations theme. I'd obviously buy "Hotel California", "Saturday in the Park" and "Surfin' USA" (that is, if more Beach Boys is possible). Hell, maybe even the Katy Perry song since that's one of the few songs of hers I like. I can only imagine how insane the fiddle would be in "Devil", too...it would be like the solo in "Black Streak" but worse.
    edited July 6
    Alright, here's the last confirmed tier comparison for now. I must add that I haven't listened to this song, so I can't weigh in much outside of the tiers themselves.

"Cirice" comparison

Welp, literally everything's one dot higher than HMX's tiers. Gah, it's painful to see when people get this close.

I did the triple comparison with TuleRune and...okay, this is almost comical, they basically tiered everything one dot above you except for bass. This is getting oddly coincidental now :p

Alright, here's the last confirmed tier comparison for now. I must add that I haven't listened to this song, so I can't weigh in much outside of the tiers themselves.

"Cirice" comparison

Welp, literally everything's one dot higher than HMX's tiers. Gah, it's painful to see when people get this close.

I did the triple comparison with TuleRune and...okay, this is almost comical, they basically tiered everything one dot above you except for bass. This is getting oddly coincidental now :p

I think you compared my tier from my tiers thread, rather than the one here. Here's that picture again.

Though I will say it's interesting how much my tier changed for that song from the request in the tiers thread, to it's inclusion here. I think relative tiering may have something to do with it, but yeah I'd say my tier here is more accurate than my tier back then, regardless.
    edited July 6
    Oh...oops :p Yeah, when Cirice was confirmed for VR, I saved Tule's tier of it and the one from your tiers thread. It somehow slipped my mind that you re-tiered it here. Apologies for that. We might as well compare both, but either way, you should probably go mark it off as released in your old thread, since you've been keeping it updated when songs from it get released (you did so with "Safe and Sound" in October).

I won't redo the triple comparison just because that one turned out hilariously well, but here's the updated one of yours. Yeah, this one came out much better; you at least got half of it spot-on (guitar and bass) with only vocals and drums being one dot off this time.
    Updated the link on the OP to be of your new comparison picture, and also updated my old tiers thread to reflect that it's RB4 DLC now.
    Get ready for a mood whiplash this week! This week's selection includes packs from Sir Elton John and experimental metal band iwrestledabearonce! The Elton John pack includes some of his most well-known classics, as well as a lesser-known song that should prove to be a fun challenge; these would be some real doorstoppers at the party. I made sure to choose songs that included more lead instruments than just piano, so that it wouldn't just be keys-on-guitar the whole time, though I assume there's be at least a little bit of that.

Whereas on the opposite side of the musical spectrum, the iwabo pack (which is pretty much just a gimme for myself, apologies :P ) would prove to be a real challenge on all instruments, especially "Green Eyes," which is just absolutely bonkers throughout. Despite it's rather out-there fashion, there would also be plenty of melodic parts to spice things up a bit on vocals, including some Elvis impersonations in "You Know That Ain't Them Dogs' Real Voices," as well as a rapid-fire switch between singing and screaming in "Danger in the Manger," making them a little bit higher-tier.

Elton John 02

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Tier)
    Grey Seal (Tier)
    Rocket Man (I Think It's Gonna Be a Long, Long Time) (Tier)
    Tiny Dancer (Tier)

iwrestledabearonce 01

Carnage Asada (ft. Steve Vai) (Tier)
    Danger in the Manger (Tier)
    Green Eyes (Tier)
    You Know That Ain't Them Dogs' Real Voices (Tier)
  • Radiohead97Radiohead97 Rising Star
    I love Grey Seal. That song doesn't get enough love
    As a heads up, I'll be delaying this week's RB5 post for a day or so. I got busy with a different project, and haven't had time to plan it all out yet. Hoping to have it ready soon, though!
    This week's selection includes a 5-pack of classic, original-lineup Black Sabbath songs, and singles from the 60's! Often regarded as the originators of heavy metal, Black Sabbath is a band I'm surprised we don't see more often, and these songs would be pretty fun to play all around. As for the 60's singles, we have another possible origin point for heavy metal, as well as some pop-rock and psychedelic rock from none other than The Rolling Stones.

Black Sabbath 02

Black Sabbath (Tier)
    Electric Funeral (Tier)
    Embryo/Children of the Grave (Tier)
    Hand of Doom (Tier)
    Symptom of the Universe (Tier)

Singles

Blue Cheer - Summertime Blues (Tier)
    The Lovin' Spoonful - Do You Believe in Magic (Tier)
    The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black (Tier)
    edited July 24
    In memory of Chester Bennington, this week's RB5 selection is the rest of the Hybrid Theory album! I realize we have most of the big singles from this album, though "Papercut" has yet to appear in the game, and the rest of the album I feel would be fun and approachable on all instruments. This is one of the most well-known nu metal albums ever, though I'd argue there's also a strong influence from industrial rock as well, what with the distorted, electronic production throughout. My favorite tracks from here would be "By Myself" and "A Place for My Head."

On a side note, I'd assume if this were to really happen one day, it may be a similar situation to No Doubt's "Tragic Kindgom," where the full album package would include the other songs that are DLC, namely "In the End" and "Crawling" (and if it becomes available as a Rewind track, "One Step Closer" as well), so I'll list them here, though won't provide tier predictions for obvious reasons.

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory (Full Album)

Papercut (Tier)
    One Step Closer [RB2 On-Disc]
    With You (Tier)
    Points of Authority (Tier)
    Crawling [Rock Band DLC]
    Runaway (Tier)
    By Myself (Tier)
    In the End [Rock Band DLC]
    A Place for My Head (Tier)
    Forgotten (Tier)
    Cure for the Itch (Tier)
    Pushing Me Away (Tier)
    Closer to the Edge isn't it. It's called One Step Closer. Even the video link says that

Closer to the Edge isn't it. It's called One Step Closer. Even the video link says that

Whoopsie, guess I'm more tired than I thought again. Fix'd :)
    I just want to post a heads-up, I will be taking a few weeks off from updating this. I'll be very busy elsewhere, and won't be able to prepare anything due to this. I apologize, and will try to make it up somehow when I can.
    Sugar Ray - Every Morning [CONFIRMED FOR RB4 DLC]

Wasn't expecting this to be Sugar Ray's first song on Rock Band, to be honest, but I'm happy with it. I like the laid-back, sorta spacey vibe it has, and I figure it'll be a fun warmup song. So yeah I'll pick it up whenever I can.
    Forgive me if this has already been established, but is your tiering thread dead?
    edited August 6

Forgive me if this has already been established, but is your tiering thread dead?

I don't want to say "yes," because there are times where I'm this close to reviving it. But my life has been really busy lately, and the near-daily demand of tier threads (at least in my experience) is a bit much. Hopefully once I've finally gotten everything taken care of on my end I can take it out of hiatus (in fact, tomorrow I go on a trip to New York in one of the last steps before I finally complete what I've been working towards for a long while now). But until then, don't expect me to do so.
    No rush, take as much time as you need
    edited August 13

I don't want to say "yes," because there are times where I'm this close to reviving it. But my life has been really busy lately, and the near-daily demand of tier threads (at least in my experience) is a bit much. Hopefully once I've finally gotten everything taken care of on my end I can take it out of hiatus (in fact, tomorrow I go on a trip to New York in one of the last steps before I finally complete what I've been working towards for a long while now). But until then, don't expect me to do so.

Just out of curiosity (and I really don't mean this to come off in a bad way), but why couldn't you just transfer the time you take to make the weekly tiers for this thread into time making tiers for others? You'd still be making tiers either way, right? Also, tier threads don't have to be a daily commitment at all. Just look at @TuleRune, he updates at his own pace (every few weeks, usually - though right now isn't a good example because he's moving) and we still love his dedication to tiers. But, perhaps tier threads are just more pressuring for you whereas this is a more casual thing. Either way, I understand, and like Radiohead said, there's no rush at all.

Just out of curiosity (I really don't mean this to come off in a bad way), but why couldn't you just transfer the time you take to make the tiers for this thread into time making tiers for others? You'd still be making tiers either way, right? Also, tier threads don't have to be a daily commitment at all. Just look at @TuleRune, he updates at his own pace (every few weeks, usually - though right now isn't a good example because he's moving) and we still love his dedication to tiers. But, perhaps tier threads are just more pressuring for you whereas this is a more casual thing. Either way, I understand, and like Radiohead said, there's no rush at all.
    It has a lot to do with my own mental processes. You'd be correct in saying that tier threads provide a lot more pressure for me, since I always feel bad for making people wait for their tiers. Also the fact that here I get to make the song selection saves me a lot of time doing the tiers, since 99.9% of the time I'm already really familiar with a song, and don't have to think as hard about the tiers. Whereas with a brand new song I've never heard, I sometimes need to listen to it a few times so I don't miss anything (and even then, sometimes I do). Whenever I do a tiers thread, I start feeling a bit of pressure to update more often, since more people tend to post on those.

The other issue is that with the tiers thread, I have to sort of do a short review of every song, since that's a big part of the appeal it seems (people also wanting my opinion on the songs themselves), which can be mentally exhausting for me to do with every single song. Whereas with this thread, I don't have to give a detailed review of every song; instead I can get away with just listing genres or instruments of interest for a particular song or artist. As thus, this thread is easier for me to update over a long period of time as opposed to a traditional tiers thread.

And then there's the fact that if I were to revive my tiers thread, I'd also want to keep this one running, rather than swapping one out for the other. And with the things going on IRL right now, I don't know if I can fit that all into my schedule.

There are possible solutions, though. I could always try your advice and perhaps force myself to space out tier requests. Perhaps I could update this thread on Mondays, and find some other day of the week to update the tiers thread. I could also try limiting the song choices to perhaps one song per request (especially since my new tiers pictures take a bit longer to make than something with the template, since it's all by hand and I need to adjust the album art every time).

Again, this is a lot to keep in mind, I'm hoping that I'll be done with the current big things I'm working on IRL, and I'll have plenty of more free time on my hands to do more tiers.