If there were a RB event planned in the Montréal (Québec, Canada) area, who would attend?

edited November 2016 in Rock Band Events
I'm just gauging if organising such an event would be worth my time. Let me know! I'd be happy to meet (and have fun with) fellow players.

[MOD EDIT: subjonctif.]

Double edit: for those who wonder (and loopy is truly considerate for saying it in my language), the initial title was "if there WAS...". Please trust that I'm a much better writer in my native tongue, rofl.

Comments

• Nope, you don't get to get away with grammar problems either.
  • LoopyChew said:

Nope, you don't get to get away with grammar problems either.

Hey, I'm French. I get a pass from at least giving it my best shot... :p
  • Anyway, I do visit MTL once in a while (friend in Laval), so if I happen to be there, I'd do what I can to join in, but the likelihood of that is enh-ish.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    edited November 2016
    We had a Rock Band event here in Prospect, SA (Australia) just a month or so ago... where they hired the town hall and actually got permission from Harmonix (as there were lil giveaways like stickers and guitar strap thinggies), but even though it was a free event and promoted on Facebook, only about 50 people were there.

It was good for us, as we could get on stage several times and feel like real rock stars performing. If there were more people, we'd be lucky to get on stage once throughout the night.

It was a great night, but so poorly organised. The promoters/organisers never thought to post it here on the forums. I'm sure there would've been other Adelaideians that would have gone, if only they knew about it. I was hoping to meet other forum regulars there.

So, if you go ahead with it, make sure to ask Harmonix for some merch to give away, and promote it better than these guys did!
  • LoopyChew said:

Anyway, I do visit MTL once in a while (friend in Laval), so if I happen to be there, I'd do what I can to join in, but the likelihood of that is enh-ish.

You'll be very enh-come if others feel it's worth all our whiles :)
    (I'm just testing the waters to see if the community would like it or not. I do understand that I'm not the most welcome person here, yet I would love to make friends nearby, especially if we could help the franchise get better known/loved in the area)
  • Graffin said:

We had a Rock Band event here in Prospect, SA (Australia) just a month or so ago... where they hired the town hall and actually got permission from Harmonix (as there were lil giveaways like stickers and guitar strap thinggies), but even though it was a free event and promoted on Facebook, only about 50 people were there.

It was good for us, as we could get on stage several times and feel like real rock stars performing. If there were more people, we'd be lucky to get on stage once throughout the night.

It was a great night, but so poorly organised. The promoters/organisers never thought to post it here on the forums. I'm sure there would've been other Adelaideians that would have gone, if only they knew about it. I was hoping to meet other forum regulars there.

So, if you go ahead with it, make sure to ask Harmonix for some merch to give away, and promote it better than these guys did!

Graffin, you rock. Especially considering the Sony situation in your neck of the woods, which is (for lack of better words) screwy. I'm not expecting this to lift off at all, but I figured the effort of meeting other Rock Band aficionados was worth an elemental try on a basic social level.
  • NulienNulien Opening Act
    edited November 2016
    It's possible, but I'm near Toronto, so it would be a half day's bus ride each way. So... maybe?

Edit: Also, my French is horrible... I stopped taking French in school the first year it was no longer mandatory, and promptly forgot most of it. But I've been to Montreal, so I'm aware it's not that important there.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    Schedule permitting, I expect I'd give it a go. Any timeframe idea?
  • I'm thinking after the Holidays, maybe end of January? If people have to travel, though, it might be wiser to wait for spring, depending on the kind of winter this one will be. I'm open to suggestions. And, @Nulien , we'll manage, as long as my own Frenglish is not an issue ;) It might even be possible to carpool if others are interested in your area. As I said, I'm gauging the interest for now.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited November 2016
    I'll actually be up in Mont Tremblant the weekend of Jan 13ish... But too otherwise occupied to take the further leg down to Mtl. :)

End of January is my 40th birthday...
  • edited November 2016
    So I guess your wife and family will organize a huge shebang :p The big 4-0 is generally a big deal, isn't it? (Or is that just a Quebecer thing?)

Spring sounds good, then! I'll try to see what's coming up in the city to make it interesting for travellers who want to make it a weekend thing. If anyone is aware of any special upcoming events, just let me know here or via PM.

Also, since you've shown interest, I'm paging you here to discuss the details, @1993mic and @TheStuddz
  • Hmmmm ... this might work for me. I'd need some lead time to make plans and book time off work to travel (I'm in Charlottetown, so it'd be about a 10-hour drive -- I've made that trip twice before in winter and it sucks, especially northern New Brunswick through to Riviere-du-Loup).
  • Hmmmm ... this might work for me. I'd need some lead time to make plans and book time off work to travel (I'm in Charlottetown, so it'd be about a 10-hour drive -- I've made that trip twice before in winter and it sucks, especially northern New Brunswick through to Riviere-du-Loup).

Yeah, spring is sounding more and more like the better choice. I have family at the four corners of the province (including some not too far from Rivière-du-Loup), so I know about long, stressful winter drives :(
  • 1993mic1993mic Opening Act
    I would love that, but I have difficulty finding time to play Rock Band at home, so it's gonna be near impossible to have the time to make the 2 and a half hour drive from Quebec City for that :disappointed:
  • Well I'm late to the party, just saw another post about a convention and ThatMarkGuy pointed this thread. Anyway I live near MTL (Joliette to be precise - the city not the metro station. :P). I would be interested in such event and meet local players. ROCK ON :)

Keep us updated.
  • Yeah, since there were only around 6 of us interested, I kind of put this plan on the back-burner. But if I see interest from at least 20 people, it'll be worth booking a space and negotiating hotel rates, especially since it's the 10th anniversary of the game this year. Just let me know.
  • nomades99nomades99 Unsigned
    edited February 21
    Just saw the thread. I'm in Laval, so I'm down to help you organize it if you want some help (and particilate to the event). I would be down for some local play also, are you on ps or xbox? Since Rock Band 3, most of my friends lost interest, would like to share this hobby with other folks like me.
  • I'm on Xbox @nomades99 . You can add me as a friend if you are too :)
  • Lily_MuLily_Mu RB Wii Super Fan
    I'm from Montreal! I'd attend guaranteed.