ONLINE Multiplayer Etiquette

I thought it would be a fun idea to post some etiquette suggestions based on previous online multiplayer experience. ;)
What is your suggestion???

1. It is desirable to have everyone deploy overdrive at the same time. If a drummer is playing, they have the most limited time slots to OD so follow their lead when u can. If no drummer, follow vocalist when u can.

Comments

• Take bathroom breaks in your own time
  • when playing with all randoms, I don't pick a song with devil horns on other instruments other than my own on the first round. After I see how they handle the lower difficulty or what difficulty they chose on their pick, I make future song choice decisions.
  • jibjqrkl said:

Turn off your mic/headset during the song. I'm looking at you drummers >:c

Oh please don't forget the singers, the cringe..
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    i'd make obvious suggestions, like don't pick insanely long, hard, and/or bad songs and then quit, leaving the rest of the band stuck playing them. but those people are trolls who do that stuff on purpose so it's not like asking nicely is going to make them stop.

quitting is OK if you get shoved into a band that is obviously not a good match for you, skill-wise, DLC-wise, taste-wise, etc. but try to wait til the end of the current set before quitting. 4 songs isn't that much (unless one is 2112, in which case you're fully justified in quitting mid-song).
  • If you have a vocalist in your band, don't pick all talkies and/or songs with little to no singing, same goes for other instruments as well. Don't pick Song of the Century if you have a full band.

Also, if you are not very good and play on easy, consider picking bass once in a while instead of guitar. While I was curious what GGAHT solos looked like on easy, it isn't the most interesting for people. On the flip side, don't get mad at those on lower difficulties. They are learning and having fun. If you want a fbfc with high scores, find some serious friends and play with them.

It was good etiquette in the old days to alternate guitar and bass from set to set. Battles of who can pick guitar first (or leaving it to the randomizer) was never very fun.

Get some variety in there. When playing with randoms, I always ended up playing the same damn songs over and over again. If you have no dlc, consider getting some. Dlc adds to variety and there are tons of great songs to play. If you refuse to pay for dlc, don't pick the same song every time you go online.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    gaiacat said:

when playing with all randoms, I don't pick a song with devil horns on other instruments other than my own on the first round. After I see how they handle the lower difficulty or what difficulty they chose on their pick, I make future song choice decisions.

Went on this thread to say exactly this, actually. I feel it's very important to try and keep things a bit moderate at first, unless you know the other player's skills from past times playing together.

If you have a vocalist in your band, don't pick all talkies and/or songs with little to no singing, same goes for other instruments as well.

I will say that I myself actually like all-talkie songs (I like to do death growls/screaming, alongside actual singing). I may pick some of those myself from time to time, to signal others that it's okay if they want to as well. Though yeah, for 99% of the time, this is the go-to rule for vocalists, unless they signal otherwise.
  • edited December 2016
    Wiggle when ready after the song results screen.
    jibjqrkl said:

You don't like hearing click-clack-click?

*edit 200th post woohoo*
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    Choose easy/moderate songs that would be fun for all instruments and not just yourself.
  • Protege420Protege420 Unsigned
    edited December 2016
    Don't pick free bird after green grass and high tides or vice versa?

Also have heard female vocalists love warming up with an AC/DC song.
  • If someone deletes a song, don't put it back.
    If you do put it back and it gets deleted again, don't put it back.

Doesn't work that way. Everyone picks one song.

Also why be a jerk and delete someone's pick (unless they are spamming or trolling in some way)?
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star

If someone deletes a song, don't put it back.
    If you do put it back and it gets deleted again, don't put it back.

Doesn't work that way. Everyone picks one song.

Also why be a jerk and delete someone's pick (unless they are spamming or trolling in some way)?
    For the sake of it or because the setlist HAS to be only things you like and screw everyone else. Or you changed your mind on your pick and have to delete everyone else's in the way to get to yours and remove it.

This happened quite a bit in RB3 when song selection was a free-for-all and anyone could delete the previous song on the setlist.
  • How can you turn off your headset if the controllers donthave slots for them ?
    O.o
  • How can you turn off your headset if the controllers donthave slots for them ?
    O.o

I have a headset plugged into my PS4 controller while I play guitar/drums.
  • Meh, it's okay to select something on 5 flaming dots on my track when it's 0 on yours... just don't get mad/quit/etc. when I select 'medium' difficulty in order to avoid failing the band.
    O.o

You can do party chat like that ?
    O.o

You can do party chat like that ?
    You can indeed! And if ony PS4, you just log the microphone onto guest account and headset onto your main account.
  • BuRnBuRn Unsigned
    jibjqrkl said:

"tok tok tok tok tok tok tok tok tok tok tok tok tok"
  • Ah, from reading this thread - now I see someone had a misguided attempt to be nice to me back in the day.

I was happily playing expert bass and then suddenly I got switched onto guitar somehow.

Let me tell you being "nice" to people is not always going to work out the way you think.

I was an adequate bassist back then, but not an adequate guitarist. So I was horrified to be put on guitar suddenly and limped along and barely was able to pass the song. So in this case switching between guitar and bass caused pain for all parties involved.

Talking about all this reminds me of the good old days. If I played vocals everyone was happy, If I played bass I was tolerated. If I played guitar everybody quit...

from a fellow bassist I feel your pain. too bad there isn't a way to set an option that lets people know what instrument you want to play before joining, then if 2 people want to play guitar they can switch on each song.

• Ah, from reading this thread - now I see someone had a misguided attempt to be nice to me back in the day.

I was happily playing expert bass and then suddenly I got switched onto guitar somehow.

Let me tell you being "nice" to people is not always going to work out the way you think.

I was an adequate bassist back then, but not an adequate guitarist. So I was horrified to be put on guitar suddenly and limped along and barely was able to pass the song. So in this case switching between guitar and bass caused pain for all parties involved.

Talking about all this reminds me of the good old days. If I played vocals everyone was happy, If I played bass I was tolerated. If I played guitar everybody quit...

I always let the other person pick first in the old online days. If they picked bass, I always let them have bass. I occasionally had the person who always picked bass and never had a problem with that. I figured they either liked bass, or were too nervous to do solos and such on guitar.

I do have the problem with the person who always picks guitar. If they picked guitar first, it is good etiquette to at least let the other player have the choice of what to pick the second time around.
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited December 2016

Ah, from reading this thread - now I see someone had a misguided attempt to be nice to me back in the day.

Same thing happened to me. It was cool but I was just starting out and struggling on harder songs on medium.

I played a few songs but I really felt uncomfortable whenever I was moved to guitar. The other guy didn't mind though.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    RE: Players who prefer bass, what I used to do when playing online was cycle between guitar and bass on my first set to signify the other player may choose first. If they chose bass, I'd naturally choose guitar. But then on the next round, I'd repeat this process, to see if they actually preferred bass, or if they went for guitar that time. From then on out, based off that, I'd know whether they were simply a bass player, or if they did want to play guitar for a bit, too.
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    edited December 2016

RE: Players who prefer bass, what I used to do when playing online was cycle between guitar and bass on my first set to signify the other player may choose first. If they chose bass, I'd naturally choose guitar. But then on the next round, I'd repeat this process, to see if they actually preferred bass, or if they went for guitar that time. From then on out, based off that, I'd know whether they were simply a bass player, or if they did want to play guitar for a bit, too.

now that's good etiquette, I remember seeing a few people do that with me when I played 3 online, the few times I did play online though were rough and wasn't as fun as 2 was online.

regarding headset usage, where am I gonna stick it since the guitar doesn't have a port (xbox by the way). also my social anxiety makes it very difficult to physically talk to people I don't know. its hard enough just hearing them and trying to concentrate on the song at the same time.