ONLINE Multiplayer Etiquette

Comments

• regarding headset usage, where am I gonna stick it since the guitar doesn't have a port (xbox by the way).

I tried solving that problem on drums several months ago, and the results were sad...

• I say to hell with headsets. Rock Band isn't a very talkative game for me, since there's only a few moments of time in-between songs for that.

I keep Twitter, Skype, or Discord open for text-chats during.
  • I say to hell with headsets. Rock Band isn't a very talkative game for me, since there's only a few moments of time in-between songs for that.

Full online band play was totally a social experience for me. Voice chat is/was a huge part.
  • Wiggle when ready after the song results screen.

THIS. What we used to do in RB3 was stay on note streak window when ready

• bandaddybandaddy Rising Star

I say to hell with headsets. Rock Band isn't a very talkative game for me, since there's only a few moments of time in-between songs for that.

Full online band play was totally a social experience for me. Voice chat is/was a huge part.
    Same with us.

Also, if you are playing with total randoms, I recommend turning no fail on. That way no one has to feel bad, other than bouncing their red icon off the bottom of the indicator. If you are playing with people you regularly play with, and everyone prefers no fail turned off, by all means, turn it off.
  • Yes, no fail is a must. Required really with all the 'orribly mis-tiered songs in the library. I have 1400+ songs in RB4 now and I don't have every instrument of every song memorized as to whether any part for each is mis-tiered enough to make me fail on Expert for a two dot song. And honestly some of those make for the funniest band experiences where my band mates are laughing and I'm wondering if this is the time I finally pull of the elusive 1-star performance while actually trying as hard as I can. :)

'Elephant' in the room notice --
    Deep qualitative analysis (aka common sense) has proven that vocalists don't like to chat in the middle of phrases.
  • I'm glad the bass/guitar swap was raised because although I don't consider myself to lack etiquette I didn't realise how important this can be to people. It has been a long time since I played online and it was always with random players.

I would join a band and want to play guitar and often this was already filled so I took up bass. I assumed that the player taking the guitar position was happy to do that so therefore was happy to be there always and it was tough luck on me stuck on bass.

It did not occur to me to ask the other player to swap and more importantly, it didn't occur to me that the guitar player would want to swap over to bass. These were the days of "broken mic, mate" so communication was poor and reduced to frantic messaging in-game between song picks. Not ideal, so about chat while playing, yeah.

It's funny though how things work out. I am a bass player through and through because of this but there are some songs that I have to play on guitar, not for scoring purposes but just the sheer joy of the experience, such as "GG&HT" (The Outlaws) and "Johnny Guitar" by Pearl Jam. "In Bloom" by Nirvana is so much better on bass for me than on guitar, so thanks for mentioning the importance of guitar/bass swapping. You opened my eyes :)
  • I imagine the situation will be more complicated with RB4 given the fact HMX wasn't allowed to add headset jacks to the current gen hardware. I'm not sure whether headsets that connected into the last gen instruments would work either.

Plenty of good ideas in here for silent communication. A big piece of advice I'd give is never start an online session (the first batch of songs you play with each group) with a song that's either from the RB4 disc or the 12 free Rivals songs from the update earlier this week unless that's the only common songs between the group. This is so a signal can be sent to the whole group that everyone has at least some DLC.
  • gaiacatgaiacat Unsigned
    edited December 2016
    @grumblevolcano now that we don't have to scroll thru hundreds of greyed out songs, people will be able to see if the others have DLC easier.

MORE suggestions:
    If you are the person in charge and another person really messes up at the beginning of the song and then doesn't play for several seconds, do them a favor and restart the song. They weren't ready.

If we can still see people scrolling thru songs as we did in RB3 - if you see them stop on a song, or go back to it several times, they may be wanting to play the song but are being polite and trying to gauge if others would want to play as well. I saw this a lot on long songs or really difficult for another person. As a singer, I would go ahead and pick it then if I didn't have a problem playing. Again, just being polite.

Another polite thing to do is to play at least ONE set with whoever you get matched with. One set of on disc or free songs - then bounce if you are looking for something else - genre,DLC amounts, etc.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard

I imagine the situation will be more complicated with RB4 given the fact HMX wasn't allowed to add headset jacks to the current gen hardware. I'm not sure whether headsets that connected into the last gen instruments would work either.

I have a PS4 headset that connects via wireless USB adapter to the PS4 itself. Do you think that would work for online communication, because I'm kind of hoping so.
  • edited December 2016

I imagine the situation will be more complicated with RB4 given the fact HMX wasn't allowed to add headset jacks to the current gen hardware. I'm not sure whether headsets that connected into the last gen instruments would work either.

I have a PS4 headset that connects via wireless USB adapter to the PS4 itself. Do you think that would work for online communication, because I'm kind of hoping so.
    Yes. PS4 have a couple of options for audio chat.
    1. Wireless Headphones
    2. Wired Headphones with controller
    3. Nyko Speaker with controller
    4. Wireless Chat Headset

X-Bone has.
    1. Wireless Headphones
    2. Wired Headphones with controller
    3. Nyko Speaker with controller
  • i feel like I've walked into a thread from 2007 or something when wireless headsets weren't common. Come on people, wireless is the future. Embrace it!
  • i feel like I've walked into a thread from 2007 or something when wireless headsets weren't common. Come on people, wireless is the future. Embrace it!

yeah, its fine, unless you have a cell phone that runs at the same frequency, or neighbors that use wireless products that interfere, or batteries die.

give me wired any day of the year.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive

i feel like I've walked into a thread from 2007 or something when wireless headsets weren't common. Come on people, wireless is the future. Embrace it!

yeah, its fine, unless you have a cell phone that runs at the same frequency, or neighbors that use wireless products that interfere, or batteries die.

give me wired any day of the year.
    even national wireless day? D:

I don't want a **** pair of cans when I have a great sound system. How do I chat on Xbox?
  • edited December 2016

i feel like I've walked into a thread from 2007 or something when wireless headsets weren't common. Come on people, wireless is the future. Embrace it!

I for one, accept our new wireless laggy overlords. [/sarcasm dripping on keyboard] XD

Interestingly, the lag is so bad on my wireless headset that I can't use it on drums, where it makes a huge difference... 5 real speakers and a 2CH sub hooked to a 300W 5.2CH receiver FTW.
  • edited December 2016
    who the hell said buy a full on set of headphones, that's why I said headset. You know the stuff that goes over one ear that plays voice out of it?

It can't be that bad, I'm pretty good and I use wireless stuff all the time. I even live in an apartment, where there's a lot of signals flying about and I still play really well.

Mind you I did forget people do have access to huge speaker systems, and don't have to worry about neighbours calling for you to be kicked out.

Buuuut yeah, if you're on PS4 at least, you could always connect a second controller and mic that up if you're so determined to reject wireless.
  • who the hell said buy a full on set of headphones, that's why I said headset. You know the stuff that goes over one ear that plays voice out of it?

Wake the **** up and try to realize that there is more than just the **** PS4 out there.
  • LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act
    Please think twice before selecting any of the following songs:

1. Dani California
    2. Panic Attack
    3. Down With The Sickness
    4. The Beast and the Harlot
    5. Before I Forget

YOU KNOW WHY.
  • who the hell said buy a full on set of headphones, that's why I said headset. You know the stuff that goes over one ear that plays voice out of it?
    Mind you I did forget people do have access to huge speaker systems, and don't have to worry about neighbours calling for you to be kicked out.
    Buuuut yeah, if you're on PS4 at least, you could always connect a second controller and mic that up if you're so determined to reject wireless.

A headset would sort of ruin the RB experience for me because you know I'm in for the audio.

For me it would have to be analog headphones or the speakers. And I'm privileged I guess in that I have half a duplex to myself and that the wall between my neighbor and me is a 1 foot thick concrete firewall. If I couldn't do the speakers, only analog headphones would work for me (via optical to my receiver I suppose). I'm also privileged in that I don't think one would want to attempt singing vox in a crowded apartment building...

• LeCH24 said:

Please think twice before selecting any of the following songs:

1. Dani California
    2. Panic Attack
    3. Down With The Sickness
    4. The Beast and the Harlot
    5. Before I Forget

YOU KNOW WHY.

I know why, but sadly I will still pick them because I love playing them. if someone else were to pick them though there are a lot of others I could choose. I'm not a, well, you know, after all.

• Rivals will create a different feel for the online play as most of us hardcore's have groups to play online with. It will certainly make the weekly grind of xp more fun as we can play along with others to do it...

• edited December 2016

who the hell said buy a full on set of headphones, that's why I said headset. You know the stuff that goes over one ear that plays voice out of it?

Wake the **** up and try to realize that there is more than just the **** PS4 out there.
    Meanie :s That was uncalled for.
  • bandaddybandaddy Rising Star
    We have wireless headphones, with mics [xbone]. As far as I know, the mics won't work for in game chat and link to your profile. The little ear piece ones on x360 would actually connect up to a controller location and you linked it to your game controller with a little thing that let you choose controller 1-4. That is not how the Turtle Beach wireless headsets work. As far as I know, they won't work for in game chat, or party chat, as it doesn't identify you to a profile. Does anyone have any ideas how this would work?
  • I haven't used my headset yet for chat but it is supposed to do all this...

The TURTLE BEACH® STEALTH 420X+ is an officially licensed gaming headset for Xbox One offering gamers the freedom of 100% fully wireless game and chat audio. The STEALTH 420X+ comes loaded with features every Xbox One gamer should have, including Superhuman Hearing™ which provides a competitive advantage by allowing players to hear soft sounds like enemy footsteps sneaking-up from behind and weapon reloads off in the distance, Bass Boost and other audio presets, Mic Monitoring so players can hear their own voice to avoid shouting, a removable high-sensitivity mic, independent game and chat audio controls, a 15-hour rechargeable battery and mobile compatibility.
  • Again, that Turtle Beach Dope Smoker Edition is a full-on set of headphones. They use the term "headset" but it is headphones.

There are no wireless chat headset options for Xbox One. Only headphones with microphones.