What Are You Doing Right Now? Part SEVENTEEN - Court of Owls

Comments

• LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

That's such a great first song, yes it was one of mine too. It was only when I "played" the song in Rock Band many decades later that I realized that the guitar part eventually gets far more complicated (including a wicked solo).

I just wish Rocksmith had the real solo instead of the alternate take that they got and used. I mean, yeah sure all those real guitarists that work for Ubi are prolly sick to death of that solo and thought the alternate take was fresh and welcome and what not, but *I* don't know how to play the classic solo!
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Alternate takes / a fresh solo? That's what freestyle mode on RB4 is for, it shouldn't be done that way in Rocksmith!

(I haven't played in forever and I don't remember getting riled up about this when I did but I'm choosing to take your side here if only for entertainment value)

BOOOOOOO
  • M_Robbins5M_Robbins5 Road Warrior
    Ugh I still hate that they got the version with a different solo. The classic solo is the best.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    Thanks for the info on the Rock Band bits I picked up, @Delibird444.

And boo to putting songs with different guitar takes in a song that's all about learning to play guitar! Why else do we want to play along to our favorite songs?
  • Maybe they couldn't get the license for the classic version at the time, it was released during very early RS1 era after all. If a situation like that happened in the RS2014 era they'd have rejected the alternate version as with re-records and alternate versions they've been very careful to choose versions with basically identical guitar parts like with the Hysteria Def Leppard re-records (PSSoM and Hysteria).

Maybe they couldn't get the license for the classic version at the time, it was released during very early RS1 era after all. If a situation like that happened in the RS2014 era they'd have rejected the alternate version as with re-records and alternate versions they've been very careful to choose versions with basically identical guitar parts like with the Hysteria Def Leppard re-records (PSSoM and Hysteria).

I'm not so sure of that after all the iconic riff is still the same.
  • joseph5185joseph5185 Opening Act
    Just checking IRL = in real life, correct?

Also, @LoopyChew, congrats!
    Looks like a step in the right direction.. =)
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard

Just checking IRL = in real life, correct?

This is correct, yes.
  • You should play Hitman, @Meat-Popsicle , you'll never look at toilets the same way.

Did the target USE that toilet, before going downstairs? The one perched on the edge of the giant hole in the floor? I don't think it was connected to any plumbing. Making that kill move even ridiculous (and sloppy)
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior

She compared it to how the patriarchy always treats people that aren't white males, but I think that just indicates just how angry this issue makes her. VERY.

Smash the toilet!
  • dig her a poop hole

Isn't that an Alice In Chains song?

• dig her a poop hole in the back yard and have her use THAT for comparison.
    she'll quit complaining about your indoor toilets real quick, I bet.

The thing about replacing 'faulty' toilets is that it is almost never the actual porcelain that is the problem, unless it is cracked in the wrong spot. It's the seals/seating, floats and tank water delivery systems that fail. I have replaced close to 10 wax seals to fix 'broken' toilets as well as replaced floats and the like. Never have I HAD to replace a toilet. I have replaced them because my wife wanted a new one....period.

Just not one of the things we men that are still married are willing to fight too much about.

• I have learned a lot about plumbing today. Thanks, new WAYDRN!
    edited January 4
    Yeah, I'm convinced that it's not "the toilet" but I'm also convinced that my wife will never smile at me again until we get a new one.

She was determined that we should replace it on our own. Our friends claim to have done it, and said it was easy. And I'm at least sort-of handy. I fixed the dryer a few months ago! It's all about having the right tools and parts. Do we? I ... I am not sure. No, I don't have any "wax seals", so I guess the answer is, "no".

She seems open to the idea of having a pro do it given that she's failed to light the fireplace two days in a row.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

She was determined that we should replace it on our own. Our friends claim to have done it, and said it was easy. And I'm at least sort-of handy. I fixed the dryer a few months ago! It's all about having the right tools and parts. Do we? I ... I am not sure. No, I don't have any "wax seals", so I guess the answer is, "no".

That's an odd sentiment coming from either of you. It seems like it was only yesterday that we were reading 20,000 words on the difficulties encountered installing a new float -n- flap.
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited January 4

Yeah, I'm convinced that it's not "the toilet" but I'm also convinced that my wife will never smile at me again until we get a new one.

She was determined that we should replace it on our own. Our friends claim to have done it, and said it was easy. And I'm at least sort-of handy. I fixed the dryer a few months ago! It's all about having the right tools. Do we? I ... I am not sure.

She seems open to the idea of having a pro do it given that she's failed to light the fireplace two days in a row.

If you are handy and watch a youtube video it is very easy to replace a toilet...just gross. Long gloves are necessary.
    It will take at most a couple of hours.
    Hidden considerations you may want to know depending on your level of tolerance for gross-

Turn off the water undo the hose and drain the tank as best you can (don't use your wet/dry vac unless you want to throw it away, old throwaway towels work best). not too gross yet.

Undo the 2-4 nuts and lift the toilet straight up with more old towels at the ready. (have a spot ready to move the old one to already set up). not gross yet.

Now the grossness - cleaning all the nasty ?? year old wax seal completely with some light solvent. Must be done thoroughly to insure new toilet and wax seal seat right. There may be more than you might expect

Read the directions, watch a youtube and you now have a badASS feather in your cap and your wife will love you til the next thing breaks that she is not sure you can fix.

Look at how the old toilet sits on the floor...Is it completely flat to the ground? if not you might need urethane shims...they are right there at the toilet section.

Also, if the toilet is really really old....take a pic with your phone of the hose fixtures and all angles of the toilet before you go shopping for one.

That's an odd sentiment coming from either of you. It seems like it was only yesterday that we were reading 20,000 words on the difficulties encountered installing a new float -n- flap.
    The float -n- flap is easy enough to install, but she was convinced it wouldn't help (because a real-live plumber installed something very similar last January and it didn't fix the issue). So the replacement kit that I bought is still sealed up, untouched.

dig her a poop hole

Isn't that an Alice In Chains song?

hahaha, yeah that's a real deep cut

on a B side somewhere
    If I recall correctly it's the second track on that album right after Sea of Urine.
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    Blue Cheese vs Ranch ?

as a blanket statement, I dislike both. I understand that Blue Cheese is better for wings, and maybe Ranch is better for ... carrots and celery?

I don't know. It's all gross.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    You're the kind who asks, "Coke or Pepsi?" and then comments how both taste like malted battery acid, aren't you?
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    FujiSkunk said:

You're the kind who asks, "Coke or Pepsi?" and then comments how both taste like malted battery acid, aren't you?

I wouldn't say that really - I'm not a Pepsi guy. This whole Blue cheese vs Ranch has serendipitously come up in a couple conversations (not initiated by me) as well as a couple podcasts and I was curious as to which way my fellow rockers lean ...
    Blue cheese is delicious. Ranch is pretty good too. Serve me either with wings and I'll dip away, happily. Even with carrot sticks. But I'll pretty much never order them, because I'm old and I know how many years it would take me to lose the weight I would gain if I ate wings + blue cheese even once a week for a few months. SO tasty. SO full of fat.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    I'm not a fan of either or dressings in general. I also don't eat go around putting gobs of condensed fat on my salad trying to convince myself 1,000 liquid calories with lettuce somewhere is better than nothing.
  • Neither, and I'm from the Midwest, where we put ranch on pizza.
  • Bleu cheese better. Ranch generally is loaded with MSG,
  • I don't like either, but I also don't like any dressing or condiments