What Are You Doing Right Now? Part SEVENTEEN - Court of Owls

Comments

• Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited January 4
    I bought a huge bag of Umami on the internet. Turns out it's pure Monosodium Glutamate. A pound of it. Let's explore the least known of the 5 basic tastes!
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP

I don't like either, but I also don't like any dressing or condiments

See, we can find common ground!
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    Meat's new toilet.

• LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

I bought a huge bag of Umami on the internet. Turns out it's pure Monosodium Glutamate. A pound of it. Let's explore the least known of the 5 basic tastes!

MSG is awesome. It's worth the debilitating headaches in order to be able to trumpet those ginormous farts, brother.
  • Witticus said:

I don't like either, but I also don't like any dressing or condiments

See, we can find common ground!
    Careful, maybe we just invented condiments in the '90s and he hates it out of principle.
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business

MSG is awesome. It's worth the debilitating headaches in order to be able to trumpet those ginormous farts, brother.

So for Dipping purposes:

Ketchup - fries
    Mayo - Some people like it on fries
    Mustard - mini cor dogs or pigs in a blanket
    BBQ sauce - Chicken Strips/Nuggets
    Sweet n Sour - Chicken Strips/Nuggets
    Ranch - vegetable sticks
    Blue Cheese - Wings
    Salsa/Guacamole, Bean/Cheese dip - Chips only

those are kind of the staples, yeah? Or do we expand into the worlds of Thousand Island, Aiolis, and other dipping condiments?

I mean, the world of sauces is so subjective, I want to limit this convo to just the dipping sauces.
  • Mayo is not for dipping, it's for making bread not dry as all hell
    I'm told MSG doesn't cause headaches, it's a total myth.
    What are people making that up? I mean, I've never gotten a headache that I could attribute to MSG [Chinese takeout?] but I've heard it's common.

Only one way to be sure. Eat a few tablespoons straight and see what happens.

*does some Googling*
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2005/jul/10/foodanddrink.features3
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    As far as chicken wings go, I like both but I lean toward ranch. Beyond that, both have their place. Bleu cheese can be a really good chip dip from time to time.
    France puts mayo on its fries.

But you know what really gets me? It's the little things. You know over there you can go to the movies and a glass of beer, I mean a GLASS of beer.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    What do they call a Wendy's double stack over there.
    Also, did you guys hear what happened to Tony Rocky Horror?
    edited January 5

France puts mayo on its fries.

I had mayo on my fries before - In Amsterdam, back in my twenties. There was a little street vendor, tucked away between some 800 year old cathedral and some little park, and the smell was amazing. Some Asian guy in line next to me said "F**k it - I'm putting mayo on it, I heard about that s**t in Pulp Fiction" so of course, I followed suit.

It was not bad at all, I must say.
  • SuperTigerMarioSuperTigerMario I'm not a hipster!
    Sweet and Sour is my go to.

China knows what's up.
    Thats because China is sweet, with chow mein and pandas. Then its sour with communism
    Who named this thread? Its very Game of Thrones-ishm

(Lawdog was beheaded)
  • Who named this thread? Its very Game of Thrones-ishm

(Lawdog was beheaded)

Dibs on Warden of the North!
    Knowing thr inevitable outcome... do you really want a position of authority?

• I could do White Walker. I've had practice.
  • joseph5185joseph5185 Opening Act
    thread title change?
    (I like this one more)
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited January 5

thread title change?
    (I like this one more)

Nope it is a brand new thread!

*edit* oh wait it did change... hmm it went form me thinking about Phoenix Wright sequels, to now me thinking about that Daredevil comic book I checked out from the library months ago
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Aw, man. :(
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
    MAGFest starts today! I'm planning on going to a birthday dinner tonight, but I actually took the whole day off tomorrow so I can spend it there. My wife finds that plan hilarious / ridiculous. I can't remember the last time I had any vacation days left over after Christmas. It's a "stay-cation", I guess? I'm not going to PAX East this year, and I'd be taking a few days off if I went to that.

1 inch of snow in the forecast for tonight which could gridlock the streets so maybe I won't be going to that birthday dinner after all.

http://magfest.org/
  • Delibird444Delibird444 Opening Act
    I wish I were going this year. Chose PAX East instead and (hopefully) made the right call.
    I got an "Orcs Must Die" scarf at PAX East 2 years ago, so geektastic. And warm. I need to dig that out. Will there be any kind of Harmonix party? Make sure to check out the small games expo (@ MIT?) if you arrive a day early.

I am sure I did PAX East "wrong" (alone, for one) but still had a swell time. I prefer getting lost in the arcade at MAGFest. The games room at PAX East was rather perfunctory. But the demo area for the game making companies is ginormous (and so are the lines). No such feature at MAGFest.
    Hey, who wants to see Ragnar Kjartansson's show? Meet me at the Hirshhorn at noon
  • Court of Owls? WTF? What's next?

Canonically, they go international and become the Parliament of Owls (a group of owls is called a parliament, for those who don't know owl factoids).