900 skill points

Mikey35Mikey35 Rising Star
So I am trying to get to the 900 skill points for the achievement. Im at 897 now on bass. Was hoping someone could give me a list of bass songs either 5 dots or devil heads that should be 5 star attainable? Or even some 4 dot songs that can be gold starred fairly easy compared to others.

Comments

• II_IronII_Iron Opening Act
    I am at 787 and can't gain any ground on it. This is a tough achievement for me. Sorry I can't be much help with this.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited January 8
    If you have the rb3 export, The Look and I Got You (I Feel Good) are wildly overtiered.

If you have the rb1 export, Welcome Home is an easy 5dot.

On disc 5dots and Devils I've GSed are Somebody Told Me, Still Into You, Arabella, Lazaretto, Suspicious Minds, and The Impression That I Get.
  • II_Iron said:

I am at 787 and can't gain any ground on it. This is a tough achievement for me. Sorry I can't be much help with this.

Sounds like you haven't played a tier of difficulty yet. That will make your score jump by a lot depending on how many stars you get.
  • Also adding Follow You Down by Gin Blossoms as another easy skill gain.

II_Iron said:

Sounds like you haven't played a tier of difficulty yet. That will make your score jump by a lot depending on how many stars you get.
    I'm not sure what you mean by a tier of difficulty, but I have played songs in every tier. I play hard/expert, so that's probably why I can't get there? Can you explain what you meant? I have a lot of DLC, so some tiers have a lot more songs than others.
  • Play Expert only.

I think 3 star Expert is better than 5 star Hard.
    At impossible, 5 star hard = 3 star expert.

At warmup, 5 star hard = 4 star expert.
  • Play Expert only.

I think 3 star Expert is better than 5 star Hard.

Is this true?
    No, 5 star hard is never actually worse than 3 star expert. They're equal at worst.
  • Ramblin' Man on bass is usually a pretty easy FC for me on Bass, even easier to GS. It's devil tiered on bass, as well.
  • Delibird444Delibird444 Opening Act
    Easiest way to make it jump is to go back and correct older scores. Try to get three and four star songs up to give stars, and if they're all five and you play on expert, try to get them to gold.
  • Evil_DanEvil_Dan Unsigned
    edited January 8
    Try and play the easiest songs you haven't done yet and aim for gold stars and full combos. I found that I might have to do a couple of GS FCs on consecutive songs to gain a point on the easiest difficulty tier but if you GS at least you won't lose a point.

Also I found quitting before the end of a song didn't cause me to lose skill points so preventing a poor effort dropping your score.
    edited January 8
    Evil_Dan said:

Try and play the easiest songs you haven't done yet and aim for gold stars and full combos

This is ... everything you don't do to improve your skill score. Playing new songs only helps if you're improving a tier average, and doing new songs at easy dots only helps you if your tier average for easy tiers was bad anyway (in which case your best play is to improve the existing bad scores anyway).

What you're suggesting is exactly what I warn against for people trying to improve skill. Don't waste your time on new songs on tiers that you've already got a good average.

And FC does not matter. It does not figure into the calculation at all.

Evil_Dan said:

Try and play the easiest songs you haven't done yet and aim for gold stars and full combos

This is ... everything you don't do to improve your skill score. Playing new songs only helps if you're improving a tier average, and doing new songs at easy dots only helps you if your tier average for easy tiers was bad anyway (in which case your best play is to improve the existing bad scores anyway).

What you're suggesting is exactly what I warn against for people trying to improve skill. Don't waste your time on new songs on tiers that you've already got a good average.

So I can play most songs and 5 star on hard. However, I can't play any of the higher tiered songs on expert at all. My scores on expert are always lower than my 5 star hard scores. What's the best course to get there? Sorry to hijack this thread.
    edited January 9
    If you can't beat your existing hard scores on expert than you're stuck - even in cases where 4 star expert would help your skill more than 5 star hard, it's immaterial if you can't beat your hard score and force a leaderboard update.

To get as good a skill score as able, the main way is to improve your existing weakest star scores (new songs are unlikely to hell you much of at all, and could actually reduce your skill). Once you've done that to your ability level, your skill score will be as high as you're able to get it.

If you're looking to learn to graduate from hard to expert for lower tiers, I suggest starting by playing hard with breakneck speed on.
  • If you can't beat your existing hard scores on expert than you're stuck - even in cases where 4 star expert would help your skill more than 5 star hard, it's immaterial if you can't beat your hard score and force a leaderboard update.

To get as good a skill score as able, the main way is to improve your existing weakest star scores (new songs are unlikely to hell you much of at all, and could actually reduce your skill). Once you've done that to your ability level, your skill score will be as high as you're able to get it.

If you're looking to learn to graduate from hard to expert for lower tiers, I suggest starting by playing hard with breakneck speed on.

Using breakneck speed helped me a lot in moving from Medium to Hard, as did playing bass on Hard. When I'm (hopefully) ready to move to Expert, I'll use the same processes and hope to get the same good results.
  • MofoMan2000MofoMan2000 Rising Star
    First time I launched the Rivals expansion I looked at my stats and had a 1000 on Harmonies. Not sure how that happened. But all I had to do was play a song on Harmonies and I got the achievement.
  • Evil_DanEvil_Dan Unsigned

Evil_Dan said:

Well that's how I managed to get my skill up from 885 to 900.

Didn't play anything over second tier difficulty and biggest improvement came with FCs and GSs. Obviously if you fail to get GS then the skill level falls but it is easy to pause, quit and try again. It's interesting that people can be so dismissive of something that I know from experience works.
    edited January 9
    I know the math. I've studied the system. Your method might 'get you there', iff you already had some crappy scores at low tiers (if the people who read your suggestion and tried to follow your advice already had a good low-tier average this wouldn't help their score at all; they'd be completely wasting their time), but it's horribly inefficient.

You would have gotten from 885 to 900 much faster than you did by replaying the songs you had bad star scores on.

The bottom two tiers account for 285 of the possible 1000 points. Spinning your wheels there by adding more values to your average and incrementally raising it, rather than addressing the low ones that are bringing it down, to grind your way up from 265/285 to 280/285, isn't efficient use of time.

You're the guy driving on the highway in first gear using the logic "Well, I'm getting there, aren't I?!"
    Evil_Dan said:

I found that I might have to do a couple of GS FCs on consecutive songs to gain a point on the easiest difficulty tier

That says it all right there. Multiple GSes (again, FC doesn't matter) for a 1-point increment. You're already close to maxing out the 285, and there are so many better ways to use your time than getting a single point bump per multiple song plays.
  • joseph5185joseph5185 Opening Act
    I still need to "improve" my drum skill. Currently sitting at 938 and just haven't been motivated enough lol.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    There is no way to reset your history so that you start fresh (using your same profile of course), is there? If I cherry pick songs across tiers starting from scratch, I can get to 900.

I just want the trophy, I have no problem of my score falling below 900 by just playing normally after that. But I've played way too many songs that I have no chance to GS that to have any chance, I would have to do from the beginning.
    djb5f1 said:

There is no way to reset your history so that you start fresh (using your same profile of course), is there? If I cherry pick songs across tiers starting from scratch, I can get to 900.

I just want the trophy, I have no problem of my score falling below 900 by just playing normally after that. But I've played way too many songs that I have no chance to GS that to have any chance, I would have to do from the beginning.

No way to reset and keep profile, no.

You can (theoretically) get to 907 without a single GS above 0-dot. A GS average at 0-dot and a 5* average for everything else is 907. If you can get your 1-dot average to well above 5star as well (like, halfway to GS) you could spare to take a few 4-star performances at higher tiers as well.

What instrument are you on? If you main guitar but haven't played much bass, you may find it easier to try to get the trophy on bass than on guitar.
  • djb5f1 said:

I am stuck in the 820's too, had pretty much FC'd every song on hard before Rivals and I'm not good enough at expert to beat those scores on expert.

If I deleted my save and started from fresh would that allow me to get the Trophy? I suspect no as the skill seems to be server side making it impossible to get offline.
    That's correct. It's all server side. A deleted save would not help you.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    thanks for confirming, that is what I thought, that it would be stored server side on the leaderboards.

• I think it is worth mentioning again that you may get this achievement in as few as 7 song plays (one from each tier) on expert on a fresh instrument or profile. That is totally how I got it, but playing harmonies with my daughter and gold starring or 5 starring each song. We hadn't played harmonies at all before. I am not even trying on guitar as I have played or other family members have played on easy/medium on a few hundred songs and it would take me forever to get all those songs up to expert 5 star (not to mention I lack the skill).
    The problem being people want the trophy on their main profile, not some fresh offshoot profile that doesn't have any of their other trophies associated with it.
  • True, I am an achievement hound myself (finally got 100% when "all I do is pin" finally popped), so I guess mediocre skilled seekers (like myself) need to think carefully about which instrument would be most attainable and look carefully at their song stars/difficulty. I totally agree replaying low difficulty/stars is the best strategy to improve skill, but looking at your neglected instrument song counts maybe the quickest overall path to getting this achievement. My true skill after hundreds of song on vocals is in the 800s. It would have taken me hours/days to get that score up as I replayed each of the easy/medium 3/4 star songs (trust me, I was trying as you were experimenting with the math, and you gave the idea to try harmonies, thanks again by the way). Many people play one instrument guitar/bass, drums/pro drums, vocals/harmonies and have less song plays on the other very-similar instrument.

On a side note, vocals/harmonies are very forgiving when playing with a friend. Does anyone know if using auto-kick drums allows for skill to be improved? I have not tried, but that could be a quick path as well as many medium skill players can 5 star with the auto-kick on.