900 skill points

Comments

• edited January 11
    The way to go up real fast -- especially if you're experienced and have 100 embarrassing n00b scores, would be to get a dummy account. Explaining why I'm 735 at vocals and my alter ego goes between 850 and 950.

My current experience is (song library size around 450, for what it's worth) that each new raising a 5*H to a 5*X is one point up, and raising a 5*X to a G*X is another point up.

Of course, my alter ego won't even try to play anything he can't get 5 stars on the hard level with. He's an arrogant little brat that way, because he can gold star one song and his XP will go up 10 points until it hits 950.
  • Exports and disc songs are often overtiered.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    They're often mistiered, but just as notorious for over as under. Antibodies and Fly Like An Eagle are as undertiered on guitar as The Look and I Got You are overtiered on bass.
  • They're often mistiered, but just as notorious for over as under. Antibodies and Fly Like An Eagle are as undertiered on guitar as The Look and I Got You are overtiered on bass.

Okay, but we are talking about overtiered 4-5 dot songs. Warmup tier shouldn't be noticed.
  • Undertiered for me is You Should Be Dancin :s 4 dot song i can barely get 5 stars on. i loathe that song on guitar. And that damn stevie wonder song that i can fc on impossible bass but the 3 dot guitar is another barely 5 star. or i'm just a noob :# :D
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    MrsDerph said:

Undertiered for me is You Should Be Dancin :s 4 dot song i can barely get 5 stars on. i loathe that song on guitar. And that damn stevie wonder song that i can fc on impossible bass but the 3 dot guitar is another barely 5 star. or i'm just a noob :# :D

That Stevie Wonder song is grossly under-tiered on guitar.
  • gryhoundgryhound Unsigned
    I've taken the advice of working on this achievement by doing Harmonies. I can tell you that everything I've read is not accurate. Currently I've got a 894 score with the following:

Warm Up:
    GS- Fever
    GS- Pretend We're Dead
    GS/FC - History Repeats
    GS/FC - Prequel to the Sequel
    GS/FC - Hour of Rats

Apprentice:
    GS - Kool Thang
    GS - This Ones for the Girls
    GS/FC - Sabotage

Solid:
    GS - Stressed Out

Moderate:
    GS - Heathens

Challenging:
    GS - Ride

Nightmare:
    GS - Footloose

Impossible:
    GS - All I Wanna. (I took someones advice that this was easy from another thread. It took me 21 hours to Gold Star it, I finally did it by humming. The mic is really picky about not giving you credit when you are pronouncing consonants).

Anyway from what I read on another post I should have close to 1000 points. Not so. Doing more songs on Warm UP and Apprentice has not impacted my score. The score stays at 894.

I contacted Harmonix and all they say is play more songs. No kidding Harmonix but which songs. I don't have time to screw around and go backward.

What does anyone else suggest?

Gryhound
  • gryhoundgryhound Unsigned
    oh and those are the only songs that I've played in Harmonies.
    edited May 28
    What's your console and ID? I'm the one who reverse-engineered the 'formula' so it's my math you're trying to discredit, but you're not giving me any tools. Of course with rb4scores crippled I can't even do a thorough investigation on my own.

If you have the RB Companion App v2.0 that will show you your leaderboard star results for all your posted leaderboard scores. Your local view can be 'wrong' relative to leaderboard (and that's almost always the cause of these discrepancies). Log in to the companion app, go to song list, filter on owned, sort by stars. You'll probably see at least one non-gs your local view is showing as a gs. Likely some of those last 5 songs failed to upload a gs score leaving your online leaderboard best at an earlier sub-gs score despite your local machine having a gs.
    edited May 28
    Are you "gryhound" on PSN?

I can see from rb4scores that you've played harmonies on "Sorry" (Beiber), Everybody Talks, Drag Me Down, Can't Feel My Face... the CFMF score is at Hard, not Expert, so that would really damage your skill calc.

You didn't... just delete your save and assume that would remove songs from your leaderboard, did you?

The skill calculation is based on posted leaderboard scores on HMX's servers for your ID. Not what your local console is showing you. They would persist with your account through save deletion, game uninstallation, and console replacement. If you started a new account and posted the aforementioned scores on an account that had never posted harmonies scores before, you would have a 1000. But your pre-existing server-side scores are dragging you down here.

At the very least go back and sing Can't Feel My Face on expert and then check your skill. I suspect it will have gone up.

Edit: I also see posted a Hard score for Shut Up And Dance, a hard for Centuries, a medium for Uptown Funk, a medium for Fly on the Wall... yeah, you've got 5 logged scores below expert. Fix those five and you're almost certain to be above 900.
  • Yeah, the sad thing is that hard scores can exceed GS scores sometimes. The rating is hooked to whatever difficulty the highest score was on.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

What's your console and ID? I'm the one who reverse-engineered the 'formula' so it's my math you're trying to discredit, but you're not giving me any tools. Of course with rb4scores crippled I can't even do a thorough investigation on my own.

If you have the RB Companion App v2.0 that will show you your leaderboard star results for all your posted leaderboard scores. Your local view can be 'wrong' relative to leaderboard (and that's almost always the cause of these discrepancies). Log in to the companion app, go to song list, filter on owned, sort by stars. You'll probably see at least one non-gs your local view is showing as a gs. Likely some of those last 5 songs failed to upload a gs score leaving your online leaderboard best at an earlier sub-gs score despite your local machine having a gs.

Would you be able to point me to that formula as I seem to remember the algorithm being pretty well figured out.

Also, any Bass suggestions for easier Tier 5 and 6 songs (I.e. Over tiered songs) to bring up my averages there?

The math:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/5a3vqx/instrument_skill_formula/?st=1Z141Z3&sh=a3ad2835

The spreadsheet that does the math for you:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/5pzbyv/instrument_skill_formula_calculator_spreadsheet/?st=1Z141Z3&sh=a3ad2835

My post from earlier this thread on overtiered bass songs:

If you have the rb3 export, The Look and I Got You (I Feel Good) are wildly overtiered.

If you have the rb1 export, Welcome Home is an easy 5dot.

On disc 5dots and Devils I've GSed are Somebody Told Me, Still Into You, Arabella, Lazaretto, Suspicious Minds, and The Impression That I Get.

• djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Will look at this closer later but thank you! Yes, I have the old exports.
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    Thanks for posting the spreadsheet that does the scoring @thatmarkguy. It was fun to catalog my numbers (based on what the app says, I don't have access to my XB1 atm, and I know there are scores missing and wrong i.e. registering 0 on Sabotage when I've FC'd it.) But, somehow, it came out to practically the same number the game has, and the app has that number too, 971 for vocals. Somehow, My percentage of max went as follows: Solid > Nightmare > Challenging > Moderate > Impossible > Warm-Up > Apprentice (with the first 4 being over the 97% percentile, and the rest being just under).
  • Mikey35Mikey35 Rising Star
    edited May 29
    I started this thread, forgot about it. I was 897 on bass then. Im 972 now but man is it getting tough to gain points now.
    edited May 29
    The stars in the app are 'right' (ie, they're pulled from the servers and are what the skill calculation will use). If the app and your console disagree, your console has a value the servers don't know about and never will. If the app says you haven't played Sabotage but your XB1 says you have, the servers don't have a record of any play on Sabotage and it is not figuring in your calculation. (Likely: you haven't played it since the last leaderboard wipe. Less likely but also plausible: You played it but a temporary server or network outage caused your score not to upload.)

The app and the game round differently, so the app will show one point higher than the game about half the time.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited May 29
    Definitely thanks for sharing and nice sleuthing @thatmarkguy ...my numbers were only off by 1 for what the app should show, but very interesting in seeing star breakdowns. I have 5 (I think it was) hard scores that "overwrite" my expert star level but what was more interesting to me going through that little exercise was discovering that I have about 100-something (maybe 129?) songs unplayed still in RB4...
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    edited May 29
    Yeah, I am one of those that have a lot of full combo's or near full combo's on Hard that I cannot beat on Expert score wise even though I get 5 stars on many. Even 4 stars Expert would give you a better rivals score but you can't get it to count. This really needs feature where you can delete a score on a lower difficulty from the scoreboard. Such a broken algorithm that it penalizes you this way.

I even have a few 5-star FC's on Medium on the really difficult songs (for me) that I am stuck with (for now). Not that I expect to ever clear 900 but my skill ranking is artificially low because of the wonky way it forces you to count lower difficulty scores.

Shouldn't be that difficult to fix but...
    edited May 29
    BachiG said:

Definitely thanks for sharing and nice sleuthing @thatmarkguy ...my numbers were only off by 1 for what the app should show, but very interesting in seeing star breakdowns. I have 5 (I think it was) hard scores that "overwrite" my expert star level but what was more interesting to me going through that little exercise was discovering that I have about 100-something (maybe 129?) songs unplayed still in RB4...

Yeah, I expect rounding errors to throw off final numbers a lot more when hards are introduced, as the numbers I use as a starting point for hard are rounded to a whole number where their system likely uses some fraction I haven't figured out yet. I know a 5 star expert impossible is (11/12) * (1000/7)=~130.952... I've only estimated that a 5 star hard impossible is 107, when it might actually be something like 107.429 for all I know.
  • @BachiG Unplayed can also mean leaderboard got wiped in this case, don't forget there were a few smaller leaderboard wipes after the massive leaderboard wipe of January 2016.
  • thewickedchildthewickedchild Opening Act
    There are a few songs where I wish that the server didn't know about my scores. ;)
  • dconrad23dconrad23 Unsigned
    @thatmarkguy I just tried checking my scores on the companion app for harmonies and it just says no songs found, while every other instrument works fine. I know there are 3-4 songs on harmonies that I have 5 stars on but I've never been able to figure out which ones. I tried deleting and reinstalling the app, any ideas? I haven't had any luck finding them on rb4scores either.
    Yup, looks like harmonies song list in the app is borked. :|
  • billybobjoe1881billybobjoe1881 Rising Star

Are you "gryhound" on PSN?

I can see from rb4scores that you've played harmonies on "Sorry" (Beiber), Everybody Talks, Drag Me Down, Can't Feel My Face... the CFMF score is at Hard, not Expert, so that would really damage your skill calc.

You didn't... just delete your save and assume that would remove songs from your leaderboard, did you?

The skill calculation is based on posted leaderboard scores on HMX's servers for your ID. Not what your local console is showing you. They would persist with your account through save deletion, game uninstallation, and console replacement. If you started a new account and posted the aforementioned scores on an account that had never posted harmonies scores before, you would have a 1000. But your pre-existing server-side scores are dragging you down here.

So you're saying that when my console dies and I buy a new one my leaderboard score will go up when I beat one score? I won't have to play through my entire playlist to improve my leaderboard position like R32?
    I'm saying that your leaderboard score will never go away when your console dies. Once uploaded to the servers, it's there, and it will remain there in perpetuity until a machine you're logged into submits a higher score to replace it.

Your local machine never 'syncs' from the servers though (pksage has mentioned this would be a good idea so they might implement it some day...), so your new machine won't show your previous-machine-earned scores except when you load the leaderboard. You won't see your old-machine earned stars on your new-machine song list.
  • billybobjoe1881billybobjoe1881 Rising Star
    In Rockband 3, I had half my library played. Then I got a new PS3 and had to start over. My online leaderboard position wouldn't go up until after I passed 68million points on my new profile. Had I beat an existing score, the leaderboard should've changed.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    edited June 6
    There is some weirdness in figuring out what your stars are for certain songs. For example. On a few of the harder songs, I played on Medium awhile back and got 5 stars. I replayed more recently and got 4 stars on Expert, which fortunately was a higher score so while it shows 5 stars Medium on the display in game, if you look at leaderboards, it shows "X" as my score. Unfortunately, it does not show how many stars.

However, if I look at the App, it shows I have 5-stars Expert, and I know I only got 4 stars on it. I think the App is getting confused since I got 5 stars at a lower difficulty, but my leaderboard score is from Expert. It would be funny if it counted that way but I am guessing I get credit for 4 stars Expert even though the App shows differently. This has happened on more than one occasion so I know it is just me making a mistake.

I'll see if I can calculate and report back but I am guessing the score I derive from the Excel template (using the App as my source) is higher than my real score. The problem is that I still have a couple of scores on Medium, I haven't beat on Hard/Expert yet (Free Bird for example where I can't keep a long streak) so not exactly sure how to score those.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Ok, with your help, I think I cracked the rest of it.

Hards are indeed tiered like Experts and are 80% of the value for same stars and tiers. For those with any lingering Mediums, they are exactly 60% of expert value for same stars and tier.

So Hard 5-star for 0-tier to 6-tier is 95.2, 98.0, 100.0, 101.6, 102.9, 103.9.

To fully confirm, I would have to test with a new account as I have hundreds of songs played, but I was able to match up with my formula exactly, both truncated and rounded values.

edited June 9
    Hm, thanks for that. It makes sense, it closely matches my estimates (I had guesstimated 95-97-99-101-103-105-107). I didn't think to take a fixed percentage of the expert 5-star scores, and I couldn't find a linear fixed percentage, or difficulty-scalable version, of the expert *gold* star values. A big uncertain piece in my formula seems to be fixed now!