900 skill points

Comments

• jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    So my devious plan to gain a 900 skill may have been foiled. Been looking through my play counts and have 900ish bass, 600ish pro-drums, 150ish guitar, but only 22 on drums and 1 is already 5H on impossible. I can work up the other ones to GS or 5X in a cinch I thought to myself. So I play through 3 low-tier songs on expert and barely managed to get 1 up to 5X. Think my brain is so trained to hit the cymbals that it feels completely unnatural trying to play everything on the pads. Woe is me :'(
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    Um, you can hit the cymbals on nonpro, can't you? If the blue cymbal feels more natural to you than blue pad, you can hit the blue cymbal when the drum cue comes up blue.
  • Um, you can hit the cymbals on nonpro, can't you? If the blue cymbal feels more natural to you than blue pad, you can hit the blue cymbal when the drum cue comes up blue.

Yup. Standard drums doesn't care.
    WAIT! You mean I have to CHOOSE when I hit the pads or cymbals! Are you guys trying to make my head explode?
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

WAIT! You mean I have to CHOOSE when I hit the pads or cymbals! Are you guys trying to make my head explode?

Kids these days. Why, 9 years ago when the Ions first came out for RB2 all we could do was listen to the song and try to guess what was coming next, a cymbal or a pad.
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    edited June 18

Kids these days. Why, 9 years ago when the Ions first came out for RB2 all we could do was listen to the song and try to guess what was coming next, a cymbal or a pad.
    Ditto. Still do it for Beatles, but it's nice to not be penalized for a wrong guess.

I've gone back to 5X songs that I need to GS to raise my score. It's gone from 984 to 987, but I have quite a few to go.

It seems that sorting by stars also lists the songs in order of difficulty within each star category.

There were quite a few easy ones in there I don't remember doing so poorly on.

I was either heavily intoxicated or another piece of my drums broke mid-song.

I had Werewolves of London sitting at 3 stars. Blew my mind.

Watch who you're calling a kid there kiddo! My kid wasn't even around when RB2 came out. Now when I play pro drums if I wasn't in possession of my spectacles I wouldn't be able to see pad or cymbal even though it's right there in front of me.
  • JoeSlapBassJoeSlapBass Unsigned
    I love that folks are still trying to "game" a system that has been painstakingly designed to be a reflection of your actual skill at an instrument. Maybe just practice a bit more until you get better?
  • I love that folks are still trying to "game" a system that has been painstakingly designed to be a reflection of your actual skill at an instrument. Maybe just practice a bit more until you get better?

*900+ vox with most of my library played here* I don't think people are trying to "game" the system (well, aside from those folks with 7 song plays lol) - it is a real problem that by progressing through the game normally you end up screwing yourself because there are plenty of songs you could end up getting a FC on Hard and then it becomes that much harder to overwrite your score for Expert.

It's just that the skill gap is too high! Up to Hard I feel like the progression is natural and smooth - you'd be hard-pressed to not beat a Normal FC on Hard - but as the difficulty jumps to Expert things get really crazy and suddenly that Hard score you were so proud of has become a huge hurdle to surpass.

I'm talking from experience, as when they wiped Through the Fire and Flames leaderboards (after the song update) I was so relieved it got rid of my Hard high score because I could finally put in some Expert stars in it on Guitar. There are other songs where I do my best on Expert, manage to get 4 stars or so with great effort and then find out my Hard score was 20k points higher... Ah well, guess that was for nothing, then.
  • JoeSlapBassJoeSlapBass Unsigned
    Interesting... I've never had to deal with the differences in scoring between the difficulty levels. I did my time long ago in the RB1 days to get to a point where I could play most tunes on Expert on a sightread run. I don't think I've ever actually played a song on Hard at all on this profile.

Is there no way to reset your score so you can switch exclusively to Expert? I suppose that only really helps if you are ready to switch to Expert for the higher tier tunes...

• Is there no way to reset your score so you can switch exclusively to Expert? I suppose that only really helps if you are ready to switch to Expert for the higher tier tunes...

If I recall correctly, @HMXOwl basically said that ain't happening... :disappointed:

• I could totally have got this trophy IF I had known about it way back when RB4 came out and been able to prepare for it, as it is most of my 100% hard scores on the highest few tiers are unbeatable for me and my friends meaning I can NEVER unlock it, been trying for 6 months now and have made no progress over the last two so give up. It's the only one I have left to get, too.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Yeah, I got it on Vocals/Harmonies but my Bass/Guitar scores are artificially low as really hard to overwrite really high or full combo Hard 5 stars
  • *Tries really hard to not blather his BMTH parody again*

There's ignorance going around in that some people think it's impossible to outscore expert by playing hard.

Also, everybody needs to realize that for skill calculation, the star-difficulty pairing hooked to your highest score is the one used.

So I have no choice but to repeat myself below...

*Fails at not blathering his BMTH parody, though reworded it a bit at least*

E - X - P - E - R - T - Expert, play in it

I ... played on expert // but only got 4 stars – so then I tried…

But ‘cause I played on hard // and did a full combo
    and outscored myself // my skill's gone down

Everybody else just went and sang in expert // even though they couldn't get past 4 stars
    and their skill ratings are eight hundred plus // I even beat their 4X in expert
    But I’m grinding on in expert // but can't beat that full combo...

A dissertation upon vox scoring:
    On vox, hard can easily outscore expert because even though expert is twice as difficult (my personal guess), it only gets 25% more points per phrase. (800 hard, 1000 expert). If you're good enough to full combo all hard tracks, it's likely that you'll do at least 4*X on the same tracks. Because expert scoring is undervalued, a 4*X score, which gets a higher skill weight than 5*H, is actually a lower score so your skill won't be improved because you haven't outscored yourself.

Point is at the end of the day, I'll concede that skill is a carefully crafted measure -- but it uses the wrong data. Your highest star rating is a good estimate of skill. The star ratings of you scored highest with -- this is the number HMX uses -- ends up being a semi random number, and they stick this semi-random number next to your screen name in many places.

What they're doing is the equivalent of scoring a guitar performance by the number of times the player hit the strum bar.
  • One thing folks have mentioned in this thread previously and I think is very important (because I didn't realize it for a long time) is that in-game it will show your highest star rating - so even if you beat your personal best by playing on Expert, if you had 5 stars on Hard and got 4 stars on Expert, the game will still show your 5 stars on Hard. That said, the servers only care about your highest score, so your online high score (and, therefore, your skill rating) will reflect that new personal best, even if your game seems to tell you otherwise!
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Tyrus1235 said:

One thing folks have mentioned in this thread previously and I think is very important (because I didn't realize it for a long time) is that in-game it will show your highest star rating - so even if you beat your personal best by playing on Expert, if you had 5 stars on Hard and got 4 stars on Expert, the game will still show your 5 stars on Hard. That said, the servers only care about your highest score, so your online high score (and, therefore, your skill rating) will reflect that new personal best, even if your game seems to tell you otherwise!

Yes, that also happens when you get 5X on a song you got 5H on previously but a lower score. Next to the song, it will show 5X but you go to Leaderboard, it will still show H so you only get credit for a 5H score.
    I've practiced on two instruments quite a bit but its more a matter of hard difficulty outscoring expert difficulty and the way the scores post. I worked drum and bass from easy through expert difficulty levels and top-tier 5H scores can be very difficult to beat, even though I can earn 5X most of the time.

At the risk of sounding critical, I think having a minimum required number of plays before awarding the 700 and 900 point trophies wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world. Only having to play 7 songs and still be able to attain a skill over 900 seems like gaming the system itself. A minimum play count of 3 songs per tier would be a slightly more accurate representation of ones skill and not simply being able to pick one or two of the most over-tiered songs at the highest difficulty levels.
  • @jaystonepk -- One good definition of 'critical' is 'actually caring about what's going on', so you should be proud of yourself. ^_^

My earlier recommendation was that the player had to complete (for the instrument in question) a 'basket minimum' of 79 songs that represented an identical distribution of song difficulty tiers from the RB4 + Rivals free sets. This would amount to about 3-5 songs on each extreme easy and hard tier and 7-15 for tiers in the middle, depending upon instrument.

And of course, in cute beautiful ideal land, they would change the skill recording system to be proportionate to stars (with stars and only stars counted, assigning the highest star-hooked rating), but... yeah. :-\
    This happened to me on Space Cowboy bass a few weeks ago. Only my GS score was 8000 points lower than my hard score. 8000 POINTS!! That doesn't even seem possible. Ima probably have to FC that to change the score :(
  • Hm. I had no trouble with this achievement, since the day I downloaded the Rivals expansion I immediately had 990 on vocals.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    Because i've got a huge library of almost 1900 songs, I was only on 600 on vocals. I found it easier and quicker getting to 900 by re-doing 2 or 3 songs from each difficulty tier on harmonies, and playing them on expert. That got me to 915 pretty quick, but getting to 1000 (one of the Rivals Missions) seems to be damn hard. With every gold star FC on Expert, it's only adding 2 points for each song. It's gonna take a while!
  • Hate to break it to you, but you need to Gold Star EVERY song you've ever recorded a score on the leaderboards to get the 1000... godspeed.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    On the bright side, you don't need to FC any of them! >:)
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act

Hate to break it to you, but you need to Gold Star EVERY song you've ever recorded a score on the leaderboards to get the 1000... godspeed.

There are certain songs I regret playing
  • Luckily I had only played two songs on expert harmonies before the missions came out, one of which was already gold, so once I gold starred Homecoming harmonies, it was pretty smooth sailing from there.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star

Hate to break it to you, but you need to Gold Star EVERY song you've ever recorded a score on the leaderboards to get the 1000... godspeed.

I did that. I sorted by stars and made sure to get Gold Stars on any and every song i've attempted. I'd never played on Harmonies before, so there were no stars before. Maybe my Vocal score of 600ish is affecting it since it's the same account/profile.

I don't know. I guess it's gonna be a slow grind of getting GS on another 40 or so songs to get to 1000.

• @Graffin Vocals is separate from Harmonies (Drums is separate from Pro Drums too), also brutal mode doesn't count towards skill rating. So if you started from scratch all you need for 1000 skill is a gold star on 1 song of each difficulty:
    - 0 dots (warmup)
    - 1 dot (apprentice)
    - 2 dots (solid)
    - 3 dots (moderate)
    - 4 dots (challenging)
    - 5 dots (nightmare)
    - Devil horns (impossible)
  • Graffin said:

I did that. I sorted by stars and made sure to get Gold Stars on any and every song i've attempted. I'd never played on Harmonies before, so there were no stars before. Maybe my Vocal score of 600ish is affecting it since it's the same account/profile.

I don't know. I guess it's gonna be a slow grind of getting GS on another 40 or so songs to get to 1000.

Do you have the Rock Band app on your phone? May want to check and see if any songs are showing as not gold on there. The local library sometimes differs from the scores posted online.