900 skill points

Comments

• djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

Graffin said:

Hate to break it to you, but you need to Gold Star EVERY song you've ever recorded a score on the leaderboards to get the 1000... godspeed.

I did that. I sorted by stars and made sure to get Gold Stars on any and every song i've attempted. I'd never played on Harmonies before, so there were no stars before. Maybe my Vocal score of 600ish is affecting it since it's the same account/profile.

I don't know. I guess it's gonna be a slow grind of getting GS on another 40 or so songs to get to 1000.

Do you have the Rock Band app on your phone? May want to check and see if any songs are showing as not gold on there. The local library sometimes differs from the scores posted online.
    Yep, I have run into a few songs where the App will show gold stars but also show "H" for Hard. This means you are only getting credit for the Hard score (much lower skill rating) because the Hard score was somehow higher than your Gold star score on Expert.

Not gold-star related, but this also happens semi-frequently where your Hard 5 star score is higher than your Expert 5-star score, you also get penalized for that in your skill rating even though you 5 starred it on Expert. Makes no sense, but....

• GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    edited September 24

@Graffin Vocals is separate from Harmonies (Drums is separate from Pro Drums too), also brutal mode doesn't count towards skill rating. So if you started from scratch all you need for 1000 skill is a gold star on 1 song of each difficulty:
    - 0 dots (warmup)
    - 1 dot (apprentice)
    - 2 dots (solid)
    - 3 dots (moderate)
    - 4 dots (challenging)
    - 5 dots (nightmare)
    - Devil horns (impossible)

Thanks for the tips guys.

I must've played harmonies at some stage on the US version of RB4, and that's killed my score. Have to go back and play 15 or so songs, d'oh.

Thought it was odd that I had 50+ songs all Gold Starred from various difficulty tiers in the UK version, and only creeping up slowly by 1 or 2 skill points with each new song.

I'm an idiot!

Struggling to get beyond 965. I played Spoonman (big mistake), that dropped my skill by 10. So, i've GS'd everything except Spoonman. At least 3 songs in each tier and can't get closer to 1000.

Does playing songs from the higher difficulty tiers have more chance of boosting the skill level or should I just grind out some easier ones in the hope it moves eventually?
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 24
    All tiers contribute equally to skill level (1000/7 each). What improves your skill is improving your average star result in each tier. If you’re already averaging near gs in Warmup then another gs won’t help much. If you’re only averaging 4 stars in Challenging and you gs something that’s likely to improve your challenging tier average a lot.

So best results come from improving your tier averages, which tends to make the higher tiers look like they’re weighted more because those are the ones that usually had more room to be improved.

If you’ve GSed everything but spoonman, then all your tiers are at max except the one spoonman is in. So your only road to improvement is playing songs in spoonman’s tier, and if you want 1000, gsing Spoonman itself.
  • djb5f1 said:

Graffin said:

Hate to break it to you, but you need to Gold Star EVERY song you've ever recorded a score on the leaderboards to get the 1000... godspeed.

I did that. I sorted by stars and made sure to get Gold Stars on any and every song i've attempted. I'd never played on Harmonies before, so there were no stars before. Maybe my Vocal score of 600ish is affecting it since it's the same account/profile.

I don't know. I guess it's gonna be a slow grind of getting GS on another 40 or so songs to get to 1000.

Do you have the Rock Band app on your phone? May want to check and see if any songs are showing as not gold on there. The local library sometimes differs from the scores posted online.
    Yep, I have run into a few songs where the App will show gold stars but also show "H" for Hard. This means you are only getting credit for the Hard score (much lower skill rating) because the Hard score was somehow higher than your Gold star score on Expert.

Not gold-star related, but this also happens semi-frequently where your Hard 5 star score is higher than your Expert 5-star score, you also get penalized for that in your skill rating even though you 5 starred it on Expert. Makes no sense, but....

I agree, but this constitutes extreme sadness as well. :'(

All tiers contribute equally to skill level (1000/7 each). What improves your skill is improving your average star result in each tier. If you’re already averaging near gs in Warmup then another gs won’t help much. If you’re only averaging 4 stars in Challenging and you gs something that’s likely to improve your challenging tier average a lot.

So best results come from improving your tier averages, which tends to make the higher tiers look like they’re weighted more because those are the ones that usually had more room to be improved.

If you’ve GSed everything but spoonman, then all your tiers are at max except the one spoonman is in. So your only road to improvement is playing songs in spoonman’s tier, and if you want 1000, gsing Spoonman itself.

I was afraid you were going to say that!

If I attempt anything else in that tier and don't get GS, it'll end up dropping my score, whereas getting a GS and FC on other songs seems to be adding 1 or 2 points to my skill, so it's slowly creeping up. Stuck on 981 at the moment and running out of songs I know I can definitely get GS + FC on.
    Fc doesn’t matter. It is gs or not gs. The formula does not care whether your gs is or is not an fc.
  • Fc doesn’t matter. It is gs or not gs. The formula does not care whether your gs is or is not an fc.

This definitely isn’t true for vox. I think fcs can matter.
    edited September 29
    I really don't know if the FC's matter.

According to the app, these are the only 5 that I couldn't get GS on...

The Who - Behind Blue Eyes (5 Star Expert)
    T Rex - Cosmic Dancer (5 Star Expert)
    The Cure - Lovesong (5 Star Expert)
    John Lennon & Yoko - Happy Xmas (5 Star Expert)
    Soundgarden - Spoonman (5 Star Expert) - this is the one that killed my skill by 10 points

I'm on 995 points, and it doesn't matter how many other songs I seem to GS or even FC, it won't go up.

I've got 97 Gold Starred songs and 43 of those are FC'd.

Any tips for getting 5 more skill points?

Can I pick up the 5 extra points by getting a GS/FC on a particular difficulty tier?

I really really hate myself for ever picking Spoonman. I thought.... I know it... should be easy. Wrong!
  • JadiouJadiou Unsigned
    edited September 29
    @Graffin you need to gold star those those 5 songs you listed to get the 1000 skill. There is no other way. Trust me I have 1000 skill with 1357 songs played and all gold starred. If I play any new song and do not GS it my skill will drop and won’t go up until I get GS on it.
    Jadiou said:

@Graffin you need to gold star those those 5 songs you listed to get the 1000 skill. There is no other way. Trust me I have 1000 skill with 1357 songs played and all gold starred. If I play any new song and do not GS it my skill will drop and won’t go up until I get GS on it.

Isn't there any other way?

What if I played other songs in the same tier, surely it averages out somehow. It's gonna be damn near impossible otherwise. If the vocal pointer wasn't so shaky, I could do it. I get 98% and just 1 tiny slither away from getting the gold... it's so damn annoying!
  • JadiouJadiou Unsigned
    edited September 29
    Graffin said:

Jadiou said:

Isn't there any other way?

What if I played other songs in the same tier, surely it averages out somehow. It's gonna be damn near impossible otherwise. If the vocal pointer wasn't so shaky, I could do it. I get 98% and just 1 tiny slither away from getting the gold... it's so damn annoying!
    You could be able to get couple points for playing more songs but for 1000 you need every played song to be GS. If you really want the skill just grind those un-GS songs, try to use freestyle vocals to make some harder parts easier, look up paths to get the most out of your Overdrive deployments.

Wait were these harmonies scores? If so the freestyle vocals won't of course work. You could use practice mode and the pitch guide there to help those hard parts.
  • @Graffin, my advice is:

1. Turn Freestyle Vocals on.
    2. Use Training, but never sing the whole song. Because you might beat it.
    3. Many of my Gold Starred songs were gained because I was "In The Moment".
    4. Breathe as soon as the "bar/pie" stops filling, then finish the rest of the phrase.
    5. Use vibrato.
    6. I can get more power out of a higher octave, but I run out of breath quicker.
    7. I can be more precise in a lower octave, but have less power.
    8. I find it easier to Gold Star or FC a song I don't know, because I follow the chart.
    9. Songs I know can be difficult because I tend to sing the Vocal (harmony) part I naturally gravitate to, rather than the chart.
    10. Sometimes the Vocal chart will hinder your knowledge of the song. Stop adjusting your voice for the chart when this happens, because you will beat the song if you sing it naturally.
    11. Remember your Vocal range is different to the original singer.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the tips guys. I just wish there was an easier way.

It's ridiculous that it can be done so easily on a new profile with only 7 songs...

Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice
    Sabotage - Beastie Boys
    Welcome To Paradise - Green Day
    So Watcha Want - Beastie Boys
    Fat Lip - Sum 41
    One Week - Barenaked Ladies
    Sing - Ed Sheeran

Piece of cake!

Wish I knew not to finish a song if I couldn't get GS on it before :(

Spoonman's gonna kill me. It's the most unforgiving song i've ever tried.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Technically, you can get to 999.5 without gold starring everything so it rounds up to 1000 (I think in-game truncates your score so that won't work but one of the scorings in the App rounds so if that is what you are looking for) .

But you'd have to have a lot of Gold Stars in that same tier that raises the average for that Tier to within 0.5 of the maximum. Let's say, you have a single 5X on a Tier 4 song, everything else gold star. You'd need at least 28 gold stars in Tier 4 to raise your average to within 0.5 of max so that it rounds up.

The number of songs you'd need to gold star would differ some depending on Tier. If you have a lower tier song that is only 5X, you'd need more song in that tier gold-starred to raise the average. Again, this won't get you to 1000 exactly, but to 1000 with rounding.

But yeah, to have a pure 1000 (maximum), you'd have to Gold Star everything you play. You can't get a maximum score with scores less than the max. It's like expecting to get a perfect 100 for a class, when you have a score or multiple scores less than that. In the words of Ralph Wiggum, that's unpossible.

edited September 29
    Graffin said:

According to the app, these are the only 5 that I couldn't get GS on...

Soundgarden - Spoonman (5 Star Expert) - this is the one that killed my skill by 10 points

One dot on vox.

One dot on vox.

three dot on vox.

two dot on vox

Spoonman
    5 devils on vox

The net meaning of this:
    Improving those songs will improve your skill (though possibly only by a fraction of a point).
    If you don't, GSing new songs in those songs' tiers can also improve your skilll, but by only a fraction of a fraction of a point. It would be a long road for tiny gains.
    GSing new songs in other tiers (0-dot, 4-dot, 5-dot) won't help you whatsoever. You're already at a 6.0 (GS) average in all other tiers.

The star you're missing on Spoonman should hurt your score LESS than the star you're missing on Lovesong or Happy Xmas, unless you've played substantially more songs at those lower tiers than at the devil tier.

If you've played, say, 10 devil-tier songs, and you're only missing the one star, then you've got a tier average of 5.90, you're getting 11.9/12 of possible points at the devils tier (141.667 of a perfect 142.857), and that Spoonman slip is costing you barely a single point. (less than 1.2 points). Of course if you've played fewer devils songs the impact would be greater, and if you played and GSed more devils songs the impact would be less.

Even if Spoonman was only your second devils song (say, after GSing Sheeran's "Sing"), that miss only cost you slightly less than 6 points. There's no way that one song alone cost you 10. A profile that's only played 2 devil songs, one to GS and one to 5SX, gets 136.905 of the possible 142.857 the tier could award.
    edited September 30
    It sounds like a really complex formula. I've got 100 Gold Stars (44 FC's), but most are in the lower tiers. There's only 2 or 3 in Nightmare and Impossible.

Spoonman killed my skill by 10, but then doing Sing, raised it by 6 (I think).

After trying in various pitches from growling to screaming, and singing like Towelie from South Park, I managed to get a couple more.

The only 2 the app show not being GS are:

Behind Blue Eyes - The Who
    Spoonman - Soundgarden

But, it shows me being at 997 Skill Points. I'm guessing i'd get 2 points for Spoonman?

Is it possible for another player to help me out locally on Harmonies and still have it count since i'm technically only singing from my profile?

The thing with Behind Blue Eyes is the vocal pointer is so sensitive and shaky and no matter how precise I am, it jumps from the blue line to one of the others and that screws me up.

Whereas Spoonman, it seems I have to have a completely flawless run, and even getting the first line is tricky at times.

But Harmonix should've made this a bit more forgiving. LIke if you can't get a GS on one song, doing 10 others in that tier would make up for it. I just wish I read the forums before. Getting 1000 points can be done in under 30 mins with 7 songs. It's incredibly easy if you only do the 7 songs (one in each Tier).

Thanks for all the help guys. It's so frustrating. I can't believe i'm trying so hard for this and there's not even a trophy associated with it!
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Harmonies has a separate skill rating than Vocals.
    djb5f1 said:

Harmonies has a separate skill rating than Vocals.

Yeah I know. I'm playing on Harmonies, and wanted to know if other users can help me GS the song considering that only my main profile is technically being scored. The other user accounts are just assigned to the other mic users.
    Graffin said:

Spoonman - Soundgarden

But, it shows me being at 997 Skill Points. I'm guessing i'd get 2 points for Spoonman

If you have GSed 19 or fewer one-dot songs, Behind Blue Eyes is costing you more than 1.000 skill points and even gsing Spoonman would only get you to 998.

If you have GSed 20 or more one-dot songs, Behind Blue Eyes is costing you less than 1.000 skill points and gsing Spoonman would get you to 999.

Go me, remembering how to algebra!
  • @ThatMarkGuy - We need to work on a slideshow to help out the audience...
    edited October 1

Graffin said:

Spoonman - Soundgarden

But, it shows me being at 997 Skill Points. I'm guessing i'd get 2 points for Spoonman

If you have GSed 19 or fewer one-dot songs, Behind Blue Eyes is costing you more than 1.000 skill points and even gsing Spoonman would only get you to 998.

If you have GSed 20 or more one-dot songs, Behind Blue Eyes is costing you less than 1.000 skill points and gsing Spoonman would get you to 999.

Go me, remembering how to algebra!
    Whoa... okay. I have 18 GS'd songs on Apprentice (in the same tier as Behind Blue Eyes).

Thanks for the info. I can test that theory and try get 2 more GS'd songs there and see if the skill goes up to 998. Then i'll know for certain it's those other 2 songs that just need to be done (don't know how).

Are there any Expert singers out there that have done Spoonman?
    Being on Harmonies, could another player join and help me achieve this on my profile (either online, or locally, i'm on the PS4 btw)?

Edit: Nope. Have 20 songs with GS in Apprentice (14 of those FC as well), but Skill still 997.

So, still hoping Spoonman will give me 2 (if I can ever do it), since i've done way fewer in that difficulty tier.
    edited October 1
    Eesh. That’s not what I said. You ‘disproved’ a theory I never proposed with bad math. I said that if you had 20 apprentice GSes then spoonman gs would take you to 999. That isn’t synonymous with saying 20 apprentice gs would take you to 998 without spoonman gs.

Let’s suppose you were missing 1.6 from spoonman and 1.1 from behind blue eyes. So your skill was 997.3 which the game displays as 997. Now suppose you gsed a few apprentice songs and now you’re only missing 0.8 in apprentice. Well, now your skill is 997.6, which the game still shows as 997 (because it truncates partial numbers!). But now you’re at the point where spoonman gs would take you to 999 (999.2 in fact), when before the 20th apprentice gs it would only have taken you to 998 (998.9).
    edited October 1
    I guess I took it the wrong way. Sorry!

I had another player help with Behind Blue Eyes... it helped keep the pointer steady for me to barely get it.

So, now on 998 with only Spoonman that is bloody impossible. :cry:

Would I get to 1000 if by some fluke I GS Spoonman or have I glitched it somehow because I’ve played it across the UK and US versions?
    I don't think anyone really knows how multi-region play affects skill calculation, if at all. Like, 1 in 1000 people have ever even played both regions, if even that many.
  • @graffin , which phrases are you having issues with in Spoonman? Did you try going to practice mode and trying to freestyle only those to get a few more awesome phrases? Might take a while to get to gold, but with practice it's FC'able.
    I think Graffin's going for the 1000 on harmonies, so freestyle isn't useful to him.
  • Aren't the harmonies included in the freestyle lines, though? Might just help him find the right pitch. (Just trying to be helpful.)
    edited October 3
    zabigg said:

Aren't the harmonies included in the freestyle lines, though? Might just help him find the right pitch. (Just trying to be helpful.)

The lines are there (well, different shades of blue in the background where the lyrics come up, not exactly solid lines). They do help with nailing the first line of Spoonman, but freestyle vocals aren't much help on Harmonies.

Spoonman is damn hard. I can get within a slither of filling the stars with gold. It's so frustrating that because of a shaky vocal pointer or it stupidly jumping from the blue line to brown line breaks the 4x combo and i'm stuffed. Using a 2nd mic helps keep the pointer a bit more steady, but still not enough to get GS.

Thanks so much for the tips and posts guys. Unless I somehow fluke it, there's no way it's gonna happen. I think it's the kinda mission that deserves a gold trophy/achievement for doing it!
  • Well, I know it's not harmonies since I only do regular vox, but I can speak from my 50 attempts at golding Beast and the Harlot... Sing other stuff. Get back to Spoonman once in a while. At some point, it'll just click (if you don't think too much about it). From the regular vox on Spoonman, though, I can tell you that the game's pitch detector expects a flatter, more nasal pitch than what you hear on every phrase. It might apply to the harmonies as well.
  • I'm okay with only 5*X on everything. At least when it beats my 5*H scores, which sadly, isn't always. :disappointed: