Major bug: Rockband Rivals BROKE lefty drum switches for PRO mode

Good afternoon all.

I'm making this thread to hopefully get the attention of the developers such as @HMXOwl so they can fix a major bug that has been present since the release of Rockband Rivals for lefty drummers.

Personally I play pro drums (3 cymbals) on righty mode and I have yet to encounter the error my friend is having who plays lefty mode on the same drum kit (yeah switching out all those cymbals can be a bit of a pain at times). The error my friend is having while playing pro drums on lefty mode is when he has to hit the GREEN PAD + RED CYMBAL at the same time it seems to drop notes 1 out of 4 times, which can be incredibly frustrating and makes FC'ing songs IMPOSSIBLE unless there is no green pad + red cymbal combination in the song.

We've tried a lot of things to diagnose this issue... At first we thought it was a local issue. We tried switching out different pads and cymbals, we used different cords, we tweaked calibration, we played a variety of songs, I played lefty drums (god help me) and was having the same issue as well, etc... We've spent hours trying to fix this issue and nothing was working. A last ditch effort we tried was going back to Rock Band 3 with the exact same setup and playing the same song (Monkey Wrench by Foo Fighters), and my friend FC'd it no problems. On Rock Band 4 because of the Red Cymbal + Green Pad dropping he could barely muster a 95%.

So this problem lies within the Rock Band 4 engine after Rock Band Rivals was released, previous to RB Rivals, lefty drums were working as intended.

There is another thread about this as well but it's in a very low visited section of the forums: http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/280824/rock-band-rivals-pro-drums-lefty-mode-red-cymbal-green-pad-glitch#latest

TL;DR: Lefty Drums are broken, when you hit the combination of Green Pad + Red Cymbal it drops notes, only on lefty mode.

I know lefty drummers are a bit of a niche but this is still a major bug that lies within the RB 4 engine and needs to be a critical bug fix I believe. Some feedback from the developers on this situation would be great, and if anybody else has anything to add about this problem that would be dandy as well. Thanks!

Comments

• nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    Have you submitted a support ticket?
  • nuttzo31 said:

Have you submitted a support ticket?

I have indeed!
  • r0bd0gr0bd0g Unsigned
    edited January 30
    This is reminiscent of a bug with using a GHWT kit in TBRB on Wii. If you hit a green tom at the same time as either cymbal on lefty, you would get a red instead of (or sometimes as well as) a green. Perhaps something similar is happening here? (I think it's actually quite likely that this is the same bug.) (The bug only occurs on Wii TBRB because only the Wii versions of TBRB and RB3 recognize the GHWT cymbals as cymbals, and I guess it was fixed in RB3.)

The only way to play on lefty was to make sure not to hit the two pads at the same time. You could try that, though it'll make some songs a lot harder. (Good luck on Visions.) In the end it was just easier to play on righty.
  • We encountered the same (or similar) problem just yesterday. No I haven't submitted a ticket.

When the red/green combo described are hit it drops a note.
    We also saw that occasionally, even in right hand mode, that the green drum sometimes records two hits when only struck once and attributed the issue to that. (this is the reason we didn't submit a ticket - I was going to look at returning the drums for exchange)
  • I got a reply to my support ticket for those wondering.

It reads as quote:

"Hello,

Our technical team is aware of this issue. Unfortunately, a fix related to double kick on legacy drums disabled a large number of non-standard input methods on legacy drum kits. We hope to find a solution for this problem in the future, but at the time we do not have an ETA for when this will be complete.

I apologize for any inconvenience. Please stay subscribed on Facebook and Twitter to be the first to hear of any updates.

Rock on"

Let's hope they find a fix soon!
  • legacy kits?
  • legacy kits?

I believe they use that term to refer to any non-RB4 drumkit.
  • incl the rivals kit?
  • Nope, pretty sure that's technically an RB4 drumkit still, so it is not a legacy kit.
  • So...is the problem you're having happening on a legacy kit?

I have the rivals kit and had the same issue
  • It is an Ion kit, so yes.
  • tragedy719tragedy719 Unsigned
    edited February 1
    Righto. I'll submit a ticket as well. Might test it out a couple of times first and record it if I think it's measureable.

But we definitely had the same issue with the Rivals kit on Sunday

I just read the previous post and their issue is with the madkatz kit, not ION kits. I don't understand why their response to you specifies legacy kits only
  • That's hilarious.
  • Can confirm this is accurate- playing on an Alesis Nitro kit with Crash left, Snare middle right. Crash/Snare combo just doesn't work accurately, i get dropped notes continuously. Will submit a support ticket.
  • I ended up exchanging my kit, but even the new one has exactly the same issues.

i submitted a ticket, and the first response was instructions on how to pair the instrument with PS4. A couple of emails later I received this from PDP

"The PDP drum kit is not optimized to be used with the Mad Catz Cymbal Kit, at the moment we're sorry to say that we have no cymbal kit that will work on the Drums that we manufactured. Could you to test the Rock Band game Drum Kit without the cymbals and see if the issue remains? If that is the case, then we can continue with a warranty claim for the Drum Kit."

Notes drop because the drums and cymbals aren't compatible.
  • I submitted a ticket and posted a thread about this in November....glad to see others calling attention to it as I received no reply other than 'we'll look into it'. Would love to play pro drums again!

http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/281094/any-other-drummers-with-this-problem#latest
  • Well I just checked my email, found this was sent on the 15th...

We have made a lot of changes to Rock Band 4 and have released game patch updates. Please test to see if the issues you where experiencing with are fixed.

If you still need help, you can re-open your ticket by signing in at our support portal, or by submitting a new ticket

Keep on Rocking

I'll need to test it tonight!
  • Well I just checked my email, found this was sent on the 15th...

We have made a lot of changes to Rock Band 4 and have released game patch updates. Please test to see if the issues you where experiencing with are fixed.

If you still need help, you can re-open your ticket by signing in at our support portal, or by submitting a new ticket

Keep on Rocking

I'll need to test it tonight!

I can almost assure you the problem has not been fixed yet, but let me know of your results regardless.
  • Yeah, it still drops notes for sure.
  • Moeman1364Moeman1364 Unsigned
    I know this is an old post but I haven't seen anything newer in searching for this exact problem that has been driving me crazy for months. I couldn't figure out why I was struggling on songs I was FCing on RB3. Good to know it's not just me. I will be putting in a ticket as well.
    To add some more information here, I have always played lefty and have been using the Alesis DM6 kit with an ION brain because the Mad Catz RB4 kit was just unplayable and my RB3 kit has seen better days. I had this exact problem where it would randomly but consistently drop notes on the red cymbal/green pad combination, I notice it more when there are kicks involved.
    Recently I picked up a Rivals band kit to see if the new PDP drum kit would be any better (friends don't like my lefty setup on the Alesis) and it's definitely an improvement over the Mad Catz, but same problem with the dropped notes. If PDP would make cymbals that are more "compatible", I would buy them but we have no options. It's extremely frustrating, especially on the newly returned "Don't Stop Believing". I hope Harmonix takes care of this, the frustration has pretty much taken the joy out of playing drums on this game, I want to like RB4, I really do...
  • edited May 26
    Can you just imagine such an uncompetence? Do they even read our problems??
    I have opened a ticket again:
    Hello again! I had submitted a ticket on Oct 2016, and finally got an answer yesterday. Original message was:

Hello. I try to play Pro Drums in lefty mode. I have MadCatz Rock Band 4 Drum Set for PlayStation 4. When I turn lefty mode on it seems that Green Cymbal becomes Red Cymbal. The problem is when I hit the Red Cymbal and the Green Pad (Crash and Snare) at the same time it does not register pad hits or cymbal hits sometimes. I found similar topic on Reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/58tumd/drumcymbal_hits_occasionally_only_registering_one/?st=ius7fcvg&sh=a87776b0.
    And people say that it started after Rivals update. I cannot confirm about Rivals because I got my Drum Set just on October 15, 2016. I have contacted MadCatz support and they asked me to do some tests. All tests show that hardware is okay and they asked me to contact Harmonix support about it.

Yesterday I got an answer from Harmonix support:
    Hello there,
    Keep on Rocking

I am testing every Rock Band 4 update and it is still no progress in that direction. Notes are dropping exactly as they were in October 2016. Please, look again at this problem, it is really annoying thing.
    Here are the videos, describing a problem:

1. Green Pad itself = works fine
    2. Red Cymbal itself = works fine
    3. Red Cymbal + Green Pad = missing notes
    4. Blue Cymbal + Green Pad = works fine
    5. Red Cymbal and Blue Cymbal switching does not affect the result

And then I got an answer:
    Hello,

Our technical team is aware of this issue. Unfortunately, a fix related to double kick on legacy drums disabled a large number of non-standard input methods on legacy drum kits. We hope to find a solution for this problem in the future, but at the time we do not have an ETA for when this will be complete.

I apologize for any inconvenience. Please stay subscribed on Facebook and Twitter to be the first to hear of any updates.

Rock on
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    @FourtySeven Thank you so much for putting this together my fellow pro lefty :) It clearly illustrates the problem and you've confirmed I'm not going crazy.

I was so heated the one day because I couldn't play White Stripes songs and score above 95% on anything that I think I nearly cracked my "red" cymbal in half. Crash/snare combo's are quite prominent on those tracks and it makes it impossible to register a proper score.

Just out of curiosity, did you try a red/green combo on the pads only? I played the same White Strips song twice in a row, one pro and one non, and I don't remember seeing a noticeable difference.
  • r0bd0gr0bd0g Unsigned
    Try hitting the red and green pads at slightly different times while stilling hitting both within the note window? Like, maybe hit the red early and the green late.
  • edited May 26
    @jaystonepk, yes, I tried red+green pad combination. It works very fine. I defenitely make a lot more hit percentage when I play regular Drums instead of PRO. Also, as @r0bd0g said, when you hit snare a little bit earlier than crash, it also works fine! But it confuses my brain a lot, so it is not a solution. By the way, I just got my MIDI PRO adapter yesterday and now I'm waiting for Alesis Nitro Kit to be arrived from Germany. I think I will get it about June 10'th and then I will tell you how it works in Lefty mode.
  • Coming back to this thread and will be testing the lefty pro drums tonight, will be interesting to see if the latest patch (which fixed A LOT of stuff) fixed lefty pro drums or not. It wasn't mentioned in the patch notes but you never know I suppose. I wish there was more urgency to fix this problem but because lefty drummers are such a niche you can tell Harmonix is taking their sweeeetttttt time solving this problem.

You know if this happened on righty mode it would be fixed in a few days most likely, disappointing.
  • No dice, the problem still exists. :/
  • ThatDrunkGuyThatDrunkGuy Unsigned
    Yeah, it's a bummer. Happy with all the fixes in the last patch, but I miss playing pro drums.
  • edited June 9
    Finally I got my Alesis Nitro Kit yesterday. Nice thing! But even with E-Kit the "lefty-problem" still exists. And there is another problem: Rock Band 4 does not register fast rolls with MIDI Pro adapter. I have tested it in Rock Band 3, and everything works fine: there is no Lefty-glich and it regiters very fast rolls very well.