Rock Band VR is headed to the Rift on March 23rd!

Comments

• LadyFroey said:

Someone already mentioned PS VR here, but it would be awesome if VR were somehow implemented into Rock Band 4 for PS4. Until then, hope y'alls launch goes well. My old PC isn't really well optimized for VR, plus I already have all the Rock Band I need on PS4. ;)

Oh, and is Rock Band VR for guitar only, or does it also support drums?

Guitar only.

And since Oculus/Facebook is the one that completely funded this project, it will not be coming out on any other VR solution. At least not this version.
    Hope not cause I won't be playing it then and they'll be limiting themselves to how much potential money they can make, not a smart business move.
  • maxpare79 said:

Pass. I'm afraid VR is just the new 3D. I bought an Xbox One for RB4, but I'm not dropping 6 bills for Oculus plus a computer upgrade for this.

I hope everyone that picks it up enjoys it.

Haha VR is the next 3D...good one, mate. I can tell you never tried a real VR headset, going back to flat screen gaming is impossible once you experience VR. VR isn't going anywhere, it's not a gimmick. It's the most immersive entertainment technology ever invented. There is no going back now.
    This is definitely bs, the few who run around on forums pointing fingers claiming VR is a gimmick are the people who can't afford to buy one. The rest of us are enjoying it.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    Cetra said:

LadyFroey said:

Someone already mentioned PS VR here, but it would be awesome if VR were somehow implemented into Rock Band 4 for PS4. Until then, hope y'alls launch goes well. My old PC isn't really well optimized for VR, plus I already have all the Rock Band I need on PS4. ;)

Guitar only.

And since Oculus/Facebook is the one that completely funded this project, it will not be coming out on any other VR solution. At least not this version.
    Hope not cause I won't be playing it then and they'll be limiting themselves to how much potential money they can make, not a smart business move.
    How is this not a smart business move?

Harmonix gets to make another Rock Band with new songs, features, and campaign mode free of charge. The new songs that they license will more than likely carry over to the platform that is Rock Band 4.

Oculus gets an exclusive to help sell the Rift.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited February 8
    I think it's a smart business move provided the songs carry over to the main platform. If they don't then RB4 likely becomes a Wii U type situation.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior

Cetra said:

LadyFroey said:

Guitar only.

Harmonix gets to make another Rock Band with new songs, features, and campaign mode free of charge. The new songs that they license will more than likely carry over to the platform that is Rock Band 4.

it's not exactly free of charge, if you include all the man-hours of HMX developers being devoted to this game. even if Oculus is footing the bill, those are man-hours taken away from their core business of working on the version of Rock Band that most people play. is it a good business move to devote so much time and effort to this that it results in them putting out a meager version of online multiplayer for RB4 that generates severe backlash? is it good business to dial back on DLC production for the main game? maybe if this game turns out to be a success, but if it crashes and burns, then they've just alienated their core consumer base for the sake of a failed game.
    tnevaker said:

Cetra said:

LadyFroey said:

Guitar only.

it's not exactly free of charge, if you include all the man-hours of HMX developers being devoted to this game. even if Oculus is footing the bill, those are man-hours taken away from their core business of working on the version of Rock Band that most people play. is it a good business move to devote so much time and effort to this that it results in them putting out a meager version of online multiplayer for RB4 that generates severe backlash? is it good business to dial back on DLC production for the main game? maybe if this game turns out to be a success, but if it crashes and burns, then they've just alienated their core consumer base for the sake of a failed game.
    Or they hired other people on in order to make said game. And what I meant by free of charge was basically... if Oculus wasn't 100% funding it, the game wasn't going to happen.

I have no qualms with this, and I don't understand why anyone would.

tnevaker said:

Cetra said:

LadyFroey said:

Guitar only.

Or they hired other people on in order to make said game. And what I meant by free of charge was basically... if Oculus wasn't 100% funding it, the game wasn't going to happen.

maybe they did, but it sure doesn't look like it. they aren't a publicly traded company so we'll never know for sure, unless they tell us (guffaw!).

and yeah, i do have a problem with a company diverting resources from the game i play and enjoy to one i know i'll never play. but that's beside the point. the point was, is this a good business move? HMX's reputation has really sunk from the moment RB4 was released as such a bare-bones game, to the continuing problems getting broken and delisted content back in the game as was promised (going on 16 months now), the various hardware issues with MadCatz and now PDP, and the problematic rollout of online multiplayer, as well as the DLC dwindling by the month. HMX hasn't had a lot of success outside of their core franchise, and while it's hard to turn down a company that's throwing money at you, if it distracts you from your core business, the long-term damage may not be worth it. no one can know whether RB would have done better without taking time out to do a VR game, and i suspect HMX doesn't really expect this game to sell that well and probably took the money primarily to help keep the lights on an extra 6 months or so. but it doesn't matter now, the game's pretty much done, and we'll see whether now they'll return to paying RB4 the attention it deserves or if they continue to allow the franchise to sputter out.
    tnevaker said:

tnevaker said:

Cetra said:

LadyFroey said:

Guitar only.

maybe they did, but it sure doesn't look like it. they aren't a publicly traded company so we'll never know for sure, unless they tell us (guffaw!).

and yeah, i do have a problem with a company diverting resources from the game i play and enjoy to one i know i'll never play. but that's beside the point. the point was, is this a good business move? HMX's reputation has really sunk from the moment RB4 was released as such a bare-bones game, to the continuing problems getting broken and delisted content back in the game as was promised (going on 16 months now), the various hardware issues with MadCatz and now PDP, and the problematic rollout of online multiplayer, as well as the DLC dwindling by the month. HMX hasn't had a lot of success outside of their core franchise, and while it's hard to turn down a company that's throwing money at you, if it distracts you from your core business, the long-term damage may not be worth it. no one can know whether RB would have done better without taking time out to do a VR game, and i suspect HMX doesn't really expect this game to sell that well and probably took the money primarily to help keep the lights on an extra 6 months or so. but it doesn't matter now, the game's pretty much done, and we'll see whether now they'll return to paying RB4 the attention it deserves or if they continue to allow the franchise to sputter out.
    Without going into a 'wall of text' style response I will just say this:

I have a strong suspicion that this year is going to be pretty amazing. I think everyone is going to be very pleased (including yourself ;) ).

But alas... time will tell. :)
  • @HMXOwl or @HMXCrisis Will new tracks from the Rock Band VR Setlist be revealed on Monday, like with the Rock Band 4 Setlist before (When it was in progress of being released)?
  • Harmonix announcing a new game and the tread only cares for the songs coming to RB4 :p
  • akuiken98 said:

tnevaker said:

tnevaker said:

Cetra said:

LadyFroey said:

Guitar only.

They never promised broken or delisted content in this game. When did they say this?
    March 2015 when RB4 was announced, they said everything you can play in RB3 will be playable in RB4. The key thing to remember is they didn't set a timeline for how long it would take for everything to work which was the right thing to do. Entitlement fixes are so reliant on cooperation from first party (Microsoft/Sony) and so while it's annoying that everything isn't fixed yet the very important note is they haven't given up. SIEE got RB2 export at the end of January, Crazy Little Thing Called Love was fixed for SIEA yesterday, etc.
    except for RBN which they were non-committal on, but otherwise, their message when RB4 was first released was "if you bought it in RB1/2/3, you'll be able to play it in RB4"
  • newfroJDIXnewfroJDIX Rising Star
    I'm not going to dive into the debate of whether or not this is a good idea, making a niche game for an even more niche system. If Oculus truly funded this project entirely which, boy would that be generous of them to do, then great, means to an end.

I will however say that it's a bad look for Harmonix to keep running at all these off-shoots, the VR thing, the failed PC "kickstarter" deal, when Rock Band 4 by and large is still extremely divisive and an admitted work in progress. Whether or not resources are being taken from Rock Band 4 development to work on this, doesn't really matter. It LOOKS like it is, and perception is reality.
  • @HMXOwl or @HMXCrisis Will new tracks from the Rock Band VR Setlist be revealed on Monday, like with the Rock Band 4 Setlist before (When it was in progress of being released)?

They won't be revealed on Monday, but definitely expect to hear from us when we've got new songs to announce from the core RBVR soundtrack. You won't miss 'em, promise. ;)
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    HMXCrisis said:

@HMXOwl or @HMXCrisis Will new tracks from the Rock Band VR Setlist be revealed on Monday, like with the Rock Band 4 Setlist before (When it was in progress of being released)?

They won't be revealed on Monday, but definitely expect to hear from us when we've got new songs to announce from the core RBVR soundtrack. You won't miss 'em, promise. ;)
    I ain't blind, it's just a matter of time @HMXCrisis
  • This trailer is rough... zero information about gameplay... doesn't even really show the game itself (I guess you an kinda see the score system but like.... really?). The game is a month away and there's no real info about it?

That doesn't bode well.
  • @victimsofadown Actually the trailer shows the main game mode's gameplay is based off RB4's freestyle guitar solos feature, the focus being on creativity rather than the traditional gameplay that has represented RB since 2007. Then in the press release, it says that the classic gameplay will be an option.
  • Thanks for the info! That sounds absolutely horrible to me, but since the majority of people seems to be "over" this genre it might help sell more to the masses.

Also if both options are included then who cares? More options never hurt anyone!
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited February 18
    I've been thinking about this game and realized there's quite a resurgence of ideas that didn't work out for RB4 (but probably fit VR better anyway).

Here's a few things that I noticed.
    - Special moves: In some 2015 RB4 interviews, we found out that RB4 was originally going to have Kinect support for the XB1 version of RB4 but got removed as a result of Microsoft ditching Kinect.
    - Interacting with the virtual crowd: In some of the earlier RB4 builds we saw stuff like drum count-ins and the vocalist interacting with the crowd as if it was a real crowd but got cut, RBVR seems to be bringing this kind of idea back.
    - Freestyle guitar and stage presence: 2 key new features for RB4 which kind of died due to fanbase requests (I agree with the changes made). Stage presence got limited to the "go on tour" mode and freestyle guitar was kind of made redundant when the leaderboard merge happened. RBVR is bringing it back with performance gameplay.
  • Also there was an idea that some crowds liked different genres and playing something they didn't like would make failing easier, but it wasn't implemented.
  • Does xbox 360 guitar controller work on RBVR?
  • How much will the software cost if we already have a Rock Band 4 guitar? Will we even be able to buy the software on its own?

Sorry if this has been asked before.
  • How much will the software cost if we already have a Rock Band 4 guitar? Will we even be able to buy the software on its own?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Pretty much wondering the same thing???

And if not where are the Canadian sellers, I can get it on amazon.com but it sets me back a woopin 125cad...with probably some import fee at the door...
  • RaptortimRaptortim Unsigned
    In a Nvidia Game ready driverupdate, they have an article about Rock Band Vr, and it says you can not only use a guitar controler, but a drum kit and a microphone. Is this true?
  • krectuskrectus Opening Act
    edited March 21
    Pretty sad that the RBVR bundle is not being released in Canada and I'm going to assume other places as well. Also the game is out in a few days and no one seems to have any idea what it costs for the digital version. That's pretty nuts! Is it $20, $70, Free??? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
  • Oculus' attitude towards their exclusive content has been "It's out when it's out."

It is something I wish they would work on as I don't like seeing game reviews literally happen after I've begun playing the game, but I suppose they don't really care and are just trying to build up a catalog of games and inspire actual professional game developers to work out VR's kinks and experiment with the medium to generate interest.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    Just curious... is the there no way to get the game outside of the bundle with the guitar? I've been tempted to buy it for the same reason I participated in the amplitude kick-starter (which is just to support HMX since I don't actually have immediate plans to get the Occulus - but you never know). Problem is, I don't need or want anymore guitars and if I can just buy the game I'll know (I think) that more of my money would be headed to HMX...
  • krectuskrectus Opening Act
    edited March 23
    Yes you can download it from the Oculus store and use your Xbox One or PS4 guitar with it. You would need an Oculus account and I assume a Oculus Rift headset. I don't know if anyone has ever tried to buy a Rift game without one but you're welcome to try.