The $400 Fix To Stuttering!

So, I have been on the beta version of the new PS4 update. I have been using boost mode, and ever since, no matter how long I play, I don't get a single stutter! This leads me to believe that it truly is a CPU issue. Now, how to fix this you may ask? You need to get a PS4 PRO! Not only does it run a lot of games and everything else better, but now Boost mode make so many games run much smoother!

I know this is expensive, but it's a suggestion for a fix for now for those who don't mind dipping out some money.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/361349-ebay-newegg-39999-playstation-4-pro-1tb-consoleresident-evil-7-biohazard-deus-exmankind-divided-free-shipping-w-no-tax/

NewEgg currently has a bundle for $400 with Resident Evil 7 and Dues Ex Mankind Divided with no tax or shipping fees for this weekend only!

Comments

• grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited February 11
    @XtremeNights Have you tried playing RB4 without boost mode (is it optional?) with the new PS4 update as that's the best way to gather more info. It could end up being that something else in the update resolves the problem, that's how things ended up being fixed for XB1. Just a system update got rid of the stuttering and lag.
  • @XtremeNights Have you tried playing RB4 without boost mode (is it optional?) with the new PS4 update as that's the best way to gather more info. It could end up being that something else in the update resolves the problem, that's how things ended up being fixed for XB1. Just a system update got rid of the stuttering and lag.

Boost mode is optional. I tried it without Boost mode and still got stuttering every four-five songs and it kept getting worse. Boost mode has kept it running well. So PS4 definitely still has the problem and the Boost mode is the only fix at the moment.

• Thing is you shouldn't have to throw $400 to make a game work...

What it does show, is that something Rivals brought was pushing the CPU harder than it should. Boost mode is mostly about CPU overclocking and not GPU.
  • Thing is you shouldn't have to throw $400 to make a game work...

What it does show, is that something Rivals brought was pushing the CPU harder than it should. Boost mode is mostly about CPU overclocking and not GPU.
    Which it really shouldn't lol. if a PS4 can run Witcher 3 decent it should be able to run RB4 with ease. lol
  • BandM$te4LyfeBandM$te4Lyfe Unsigned
    edited February 11
    Still stutters on the large stadium level. FYI, all of my RB YouTube videos from now down to Pinball Wizard come from a PS4 Pro with boost mode active. https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCp8wbV80B8j4vHevtYi9Q0g
  • edited February 13
    Just a minor note, playing online with a friend today we didn't get any stuttering (yay!), just two disconnects, one in the middle of a Yes song. :(

I think stuttering is becoming less of an issue, but it's still there and needs to be addressed. It's especially common with 3 players I found.

As Band above said, maybe its due to certain stages?
  • Just a slightly off topic question. Does boost mode improve song load times in RB4? I know they're hardly bad to start with but a second here or there can add up over time.
  • Not that I've noticed.
  • edited February 14

Just a slightly off topic question. Does boost mode improve song load times in RB4? I know they're hardly bad to start with but a second here or there can add up over time.

You will have better luck with replacing the stock hard drive with a Seagate Firecuda:

Or if money is no issue, a big SSD.
  • i fix my stuttering with rb3.

I actually get really, really intense frame drops in RB3 on PS3, for example at the beginning of Just Like Heaven, down to about 5 to 10 FPS I'd guess. At least neither highway nor sound are affected, which are exactly RB4's issues for me every few minutes (damn modern consoles without analog line-out).
  • Delibird444Delibird444 Opening Act

i fix my stuttering with rb3.

I actually get really, really intense frame drops in RB3 on PS3, for example at the beginning of Just Like Heaven, down to about 5 to 10 FPS I'd guess. At least neither highway nor sound are affected, which are exactly RB4's issues for me every few minutes (damn modern consoles without analog line-out).
    That was a visual effect in RB3 called frameskipping. It's typically applied to 80's tracks.
  • i fix my stuttering with rb3.

That was a visual effect in RB3 called frameskipping. It's typically applied to 80's tracks.
    Didn't look like that to me, since there was nothing else going on visually to accompany such effect. I think I do remember what you mean from my 360 version, which is the one I actually played a lot back then (only have PS3 copies for exports and tried vocals a bit). I might record it, but who cares, still plays fine :)
  • Delibird444Delibird444 Opening Act
    I actually loved that effect lol. I'm quite disappointed that grayscale is the only screen effect in Rock Band 4. Distortion, frameskips, negatives, colorizations, and security cams are all gone. I haven't even seen fog or strobe effects in RB4.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior

i'm trying to figure out which part of your post delibird disagrees with.
    does he doubt that you actually play RB3? or does he believe that your RB3 also stutters?
    i'm really curious about this one.
  • tnevaker said:

i'm trying to figure out which part of your post delibird disagrees with.
    does he doubt that you actually play RB3? or does he believe that your RB3 also stutters?
    i'm really curious about this one.
    Pretty obvious, he's disagreeing with the logic of fixing every "issue" with RB4 by not playing RB4 at all.

• would play this and hope for that cam, twas bliss
  • I just fixed the stuttering on my ps4 by making a backup to usb drive, boot the ps4 to safe mode, initialyze ps4 (factory reset), and restore the backup. This took a couple of hours and I still need to perform a full band stress test, but I'm quite optimistic and happy right now.
  • I just fixed the stuttering on my ps4 by making a backup to usb drive, boot the ps4 to safe mode, initialyze ps4 (factory reset), and restore the backup. This took a couple of hours and I still need to perform a full band stress test, but I'm quite optimistic and happy right now.

You didn't take the opportunity to upgrade the HDD?
  • heppycat said:

You didn't take the opportunity to upgrade the HDD?

No, not really. Firmware 4.50 should allow content to be moved to external HD.

• Larry Laffer! what a great name, and a great game series. I long for a leisure game as good as the originals.
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act

Larry Laffer! what a great name, and a great game series. I long for a leisure game as good as the originals.

• abz999abz999 Unsigned
    The original PS4 has two quad core CPUs running at a hilarious 1.6GHz - any game that is not programmed to make maximum use of multiple cores is going to run bad (multi-threaded concurrency).

My guess is Harmonix develop on the PC platform then test on PS and XBOX. They probably even test the majority of the functionality on PC before they test on the consoles. Just about any PC will wipe the floor with a PS4 on CPU performance (when is the last time anyone bought a CPU running at less than 2GHz?).

Just release the game on Steam and be done with these pathetic consoles. I know crowdfunding was not a success before anyone chimes in on that one.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited February 22
    @abz999 After the big fall update last year for Xbox One, I've had no problems at all with RB4 outside of severe menu lag caused by too many people playing online multiplayer in the first week or so. Even that's just a server overload issue, you see it too often with other games so not really a concern.

Looking back outside of the issues caused by the NXOE and Windows 10 anniversary XB1 updates (which affected all games, not just RB4), most of the problems have been PS4 exclusive which is odd considering XB1 is supposedly the worse console in terms of specs.
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    abz999 said:

The original PS4 has two quad core CPUs running at a hilarious 1.6GHz - any game that is not programmed to make maximum use of multiple cores is going to run bad (multi-threaded concurrency).

My guess is Harmonix develop on the PC platform then test on PS and XBOX. They probably even test the majority of the functionality on PC before they test on the consoles. Just about any PC will wipe the floor with a PS4 on CPU performance (when is the last time anyone bought a CPU running at less than 2GHz?).

Just release the game on Steam and be done with these pathetic consoles. I know crowdfunding was not a success before anyone chimes in on that one.

If it was poor programming or optimization on PS4 then all consoles would be affected.

Mine is an old white launch model PS4 which runs RB4 fine with no skipping at all.
  • I'm picking up my $400 fix tonight. Hopefully it makes RB4 play a bit smoother not that its bad but I do notices slight frame rate jumps and stitches.