The $400 Fix To Stuttering!

Comments

• Try to backup and initialize your Ps4. This has fixed every stutter and fps drop for me.
  • abz999abz999 Unsigned
    edited February 23
    nuttzo31 said:

abz999 said:

The original PS4 has two quad core CPUs running at a hilarious 1.6GHz - any game that is not programmed to make maximum use of multiple cores is going to run bad (multi-threaded concurrency).

My guess is Harmonix develop on the PC platform then test on PS and XBOX. They probably even test the majority of the functionality on PC before they test on the consoles. Just about any PC will wipe the floor with a PS4 on CPU performance (when is the last time anyone bought a CPU running at less than 2GHz?).

Just release the game on Steam and be done with these pathetic consoles. I know crowdfunding was not a success before anyone chimes in on that one.

If it was poor programming or optimization on PS4 then all consoles would be affected.

Mine is an old white launch model PS4 which runs RB4 fine with no skipping at all.
    I only see a problem when its a full band playing (2 guitar, drums and singer). What I mean by skipping is the lane is not moving at a constant smooth speed. Obviously there is a lot more work going on there.

I've ordered one of these to see if it helps https://www.overclockers.co.uk/crucial-mx300-525gb-ssd-sata-6gbps-3d-nand-7mm-solid-state-drive-ct525mx300ssd1-hd-063-cr.html
  • It is pretty bad... my calibration is significantly worse when it starts stuttering. It's not only certain venues either for me, it's most lol
  • I think some people here already said that it might be linked to network usage.
  • LarryLafferLarryLaffer Unsigned
    So, something weird happened. I 'fixed' the stutter by making a backup and initializing my Ps4. But yesterday, the framedrops returned. All I did since the backup was play Uncharted 4 and install the update. After removing the Uncharted 4 update, the framedrops were gone again. There is more than enough space on my harddrive. What is going on here?
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Uncharted: Drake's Drop in Frame Rate
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I love having this on hand as an excuse to buy a PS4 Pro. I've only had the game stutter on me once, but it happened fairly recently. Do I "need" a PS4 Pro? No. It would be such a ridiculous indulgence. But if my game started stuttering all the time, and I knew this would fix it for sure ... I'd be tempted.

IF. If that were to ever happen to me. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen, that it never happens again.
  • abz999abz999 Unsigned
    I'm happy I did the SSD upgrade. Its nice and responsive due to the low latency seek times. Probably an indulgence and certainly wont fix CPU utilisation problems. Spanks the default 5400rpm drive it ships with. :D
  • abz999 said:

I'm happy I did the SSD upgrade. Its nice and responsive due to the low latency seek times. Probably an indulgence and certainly wont fix CPU utilisation problems. Spanks the default 5400rpm drive it ships with. :D

I didn't catch what you put the SSD in.
  • abz999abz999 Unsigned
    in an original PS4
  • edited March 8
    Been having a lot less stuttering recently, it seems to only happen when switching accounts (I keep all my purchases on an old account and switch over to buy stuff then go back to my main for playing.) Local multiplayer unfortunately can result in stuttering unfortunately.

I haven't initialized my PS4 and only been installing other games and the occasional DLC song purchase. So... am not exactly sure how it got better.
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star
    LadyFroey said:

Been having a lot less stuttering recently, it seems to only happen when switching accounts (I keep all my purchases on an old account and switch over to buy stuff then go back to my main for playing.) Local multiplayer unfortunately can result in stuttering unfortunately.

I haven't initialized my PS4 and only been installing other games and the occasional DLC song purchase. So... am not exactly sure how it got better.

I've also had less stuttering, but I've been playing solo a lot. Feeling confident, I suggested my brother hop on vocals and we could get some time in this past weekend. Terrible idea. I quit after the first song and just let him sing. I wasn't playing, but had left the guitar on as he sang. It wasn't until I dropped out entirely that the stuttering went away for him. Just the fact that another character slot was 'active' was enough to cause a ton of trouble. This was surprising to me, since I assumed it was having more note tracks up on screen that contributed to it.

@HMXOwl @HMXCrisis - any hope for us in the upcoming patch? If not, is there anything we can do to help get this settled before too long? I'm assuming you don't want me to send my PS4 over, but short of doing that I don't know what I could do to help.
  • GoshdarnitGoshdarnit Rising Star
    I replaced my stock hard drive with an SSD and never suffer with any stuttering. I didn't do that just for RB though, but as a hard drive upgrade I was planning to do anyway. Not 100% sure if that is why I don't have stutter issues or if it's down to some other reason.
  • My rock band 4 on ps4 hardly EVER stutters when it does its only because I stream to much. Stop streaming to youtube or twitch and boom problem fixed. Saves you $400
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    i've been fairly lucky in that i rarely see stuttering, and almost never bad enough to break my streak. the old "bouncing highway" trick was more disruptive than most of the stutters i do see.

now, the everchanging calibration is another story...
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    Just bought a fancy 4K tv and had stuttering until I set the tv on game mode which turns off the motion smoothing feature which looks great when watching movies but not so good for 60fps gaming.
  • yoann007yoann007 Unsigned
    Friendly reminder that "Boost mode" is now out for everybody owning a PS4 Pro. It does miracles for me. I don't own RB4 on PS4, more of an Xbox player, but hey you should try that.
  • I run rock band on "boost mode" on the PS4 Pro. There is however an issue. Every once in a while, the screen goes Red/white loses color and you miss 4-5 notes (depending on difficulty i play expert) and it pops back into focus.
  • edited March 31

I run rock band on "boost mode" on the PS4 Pro. There is however an issue. Every once in a while, the screen goes Red/white loses color and you miss 4-5 notes (depending on difficulty i play expert) and it pops back into focus.

That sounds like a display problem... Or could this be an early PS4 Pro problem? Sounds pretty weird, tbh. Can't comment on it as I still use my old (like, from as soon as they released it and loud as all heck) PS4.
  • jakeellis01jakeellis01 Opening Act
    I have a pro with boost mode enabled, and I did some serious testing regarding this. Here's my outcome.

First up, there is a significant improvement on the PS4 Pro with boost mode enabled. But it's still far from perfect. I havn't experienced any stuttering with one or two players.

Rock Band 4 on PS4 Pro still stutters when a Full Band is playing on Expert.

I have noticed the system/game stutters mostly when all players are playing on Expert, and when there are vocals involved. I have also noticed that the vocals reproduce more of a screen tearing effect rather than framedrops on PS4Pro with Boost mode enabled.

Also noticed that this does not happen all the time throughout the song, if the song has all highways filled with notes it is easily reproducable. 4 Players on Expert on a hard song with NO breakneck speed is the best way to see this.

I find that the PS4 Pro benefited from framedrops, but it's definately not a steady 60fps.

Let's hope a fix will be out for all PS4s soon, as I don't remember this was a case on launch day.
  • Let's hope a fix will be out for all PS4s soon, as I don't remember this was a case on launch day.

It wasn't. I can 100% tell you that Rivals started the stuttering issues on PS4 because I never had an issue in vanilla RB4. Literally the first song I played after I installed Rivals had terrible stuttering that I had never seen before and I thought something went wrong with my installation.