TuleRune's Tiering Thread II Turbo

Comments

• MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    edited February 16

That Education Connection song was an ad from a few years ago that has stayed stuck in my head. I just thought it would be funny.

Songs by wrestlers now.

Fozzy -- Martyr No More
    John Cena -- Bad, Bad, Man(feat. Bumpy Knuckles)
    Macho Man Randy Savage -- Be A Man

Didn't you already request 3 songs? :p
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Opening Act

That Education Connection song was an ad from a few years ago that has stayed stuck in my head. I just thought it would be funny.

Songs by wrestlers now.

Fozzy -- Martyr No More

Didn't you already request 3 songs? :p
    To many shots to the head.
    I'm honestly just flummoxed how you managed to overlook your last requests a mere two posts above that, but shots to the head'll do that to ya.
  • thebipsnbeepsthebipsnbeeps Unsigned
    edited February 18
    Ah man, new thread, preciate the listening and work you put into these things bud! For the record, I'm gonna bet you found "Candy Girl" at least familiar because it sounds like a lost Jackson 5 hit to basically a tee (I think it even samples "ABC," not to mention the singing just straight-up copping Michael Jackson's style and such). Also, surprised with "Hold My Life" being so high in guitar. but I think I can see what you're talking about, it seems like it's got a lot of guitar picking in between all of those big chords. Cool all the same!

I'm in a 'Mats mood, here's some more songs off of probably their best album Tim

Kiss Me on the Bus
    Bastards of Young
    Left of the Dial

Songs by wrestlers now.

Fozzy -- Martyr No More

I'm honestly just flummoxed how you managed to overlook your last requests a mere two posts above that, but shots to the head'll do that to ya.

I remember having no memory of that first post until you pointed it out.
    And with Black Betty finally out, here's the next tier comparison for this thread! I'm not sure if you want tier comparisons for songs from the first thread posted there or here, but you can go back and add this to the old thread's OP either way.

"Black Betty" comparison

Well, look at that, Harmonix gave guitar five dots after all. That definitely surprises me, so I'll have to see how the chart looks later. Anyway, this turned out awfully close, with drums and vocals spot-on and guitar and bass one dot off. If you would have given guitar the five dots like you said earlier, then it would have been even closer. But still, great job!

Also, you don't have to include this one in the OP but for fun, I did a three-way comparison with your "Black Betty" tier, Harmonix's, and @FritzyKatz's.
  • TuleRuneTuleRune Rising Star

And with Black Betty finally out, here's the next tier comparison for this thread! I'm not sure if you want tier comparisons for songs from the first thread posted there or here, but you can go back and add this to the old thread's OP either way.

"Black Betty" comparison

Well, look at that, Harmonix gave guitar five dots after all. That definitely surprises me, so I'll have to see how the chart looks later. Anyway, this turned out awfully close, with drums and vocals spot-on and guitar and bass one dot off. If you would have given guitar the five dots like you said earlier, then it would have been even closer. But still, great job!

Also, you don't have to include this one in the OP but for fun, I did a three-way comparison with your "Black Betty" tier, Harmonix's, and @FritzyKatz's.

Ooh not bad at all. Closest I think I've been with the amount of dots off.
    edited February 27
    So after playing "Black Betty" in Rock Band, I can vouch that Harmonix's devil tiering on bass is well-founded - it goes absolute bonkers during the instrumental break and makes an otherwise easy chart become difficult real quick. And despite my surprise that guitar wasn't devils, I actually didn't find the solos to be terribly difficult, but your four dots seems kind of low for that sort of chart (then again, the easy verses kind of "balance out" the more tricky solos).

Unrelated, but the fact that they didn't chart a Big Rock Ending was pretty odd, but I reckon it has something to do with them not using stems for this one.
  • Radiohead97Radiohead97 Rising Star
    I was a little surprised that it wasn't devil tiers on drums. Sure, it's not insane all the time, but it really gets crazy when it has to
    Everything alright? Haven't heard anything in a while

Everything alright? Haven't heard anything in a while

All good. I'm actually ahead of schedule considering it usually takes a month per update.

I'd say maybe tomorrow but that's generous, but soon.
    edited March 29
    I'm not late what are you talking about.
    Fozzy -- Martyr No More

My next picks, hopefully in two comments I don't forget about these.
    edited March 28
    Pleasant surprise, and of course, I'll do the "Shape of You" comparison on Thursday. Little did I know you were going to do a whole CHVRCHES pack! Yeah, those three songs were possibilities I had for a pack myself, but there is one more that I'll throw in this next batch that I haven't seen anyone tier yet. Interesting how different your drum tier on "Clearest Blue" is from LiveHomeVideo's, who put it at devils compared to your three. Other than that, you guys basically had everything else exact (save for a one-dot difference on bass).

I'll post my thoughts and requests a bit later. Should be fun to see weekly DLC posts a la @LiveHomeVideo and @FritzyKatz, so I'll look forward to those.
  • Escondido - Cold October
    Escondido - Heart Is Black
    Escondido - Idiot
  • A Wilhelm Scream - "The Rip" (from Mute Print, 2004)
    Dead Kennedys - "Jock-O-Rama" (from Frankenchrist, 1985)
    The Living End - "Bloody Mary" (from The Living End, 1998)
    Interesting tiers. I was expecting a high tier for Rhythm Nation...

Anyway, have three covers...
    The Byrds - We'll Meet Again (originally by Vera Lynn)
    Disturbed - Land of Confusion (originally by Genesis)
    Velvet Revolver - Can't Get It Out of My Head (originally by ELO)

Velvet Revolver

Also a fix I was alerted of.

Daft Punk - "Giorgio by Moroder"
    Sorry.
    edited March 29
    More bourbon, Tule?

Interesting that you think all Elle King songs sound the same. I'm a big fan of her so I'm curious what songs of hers you're basing that on to come to that conclusion, though I respect your opinion regardless. Her new song "Wild Love" is quite different so I'd recommend checking that one out. So I did end up seeing Elle King live, and I was kinda disappointed she didn't do "Good Girls". I even wrote a paper about this song for my blues and rock history class, funny enough. But anyway, I'd say this is more upbeat than "Ex's & Oh's" and would be a bit more fun in a Rock Band setting (as much as I love "Ex's & Oh's", it has boring bits in the RB chart and it's a bit slow). Despite that, this turned out easier than I envisioned, but I guess it makes sense since nothing gets too adventurous. I'd probably put vocals at 4 just because Elle is a powerhouse on vocals, but this is good otherwise. Also, I can't even tell if there's bass in this song, but I'm sure it's simple if it is there.

Really glad my friend showed me "O B 1" and that I could introduce you to it, I figured it would be up your alley since you enjoyed Painted Palms and they sound so similar. We need more fun synth-based basslines in Rock Band these days. "Obsession" and "Blue Monday" were fantastic electronic bass charts, as well as "Antibodies" (unpopular opinion, I know). My previous request of "Fade to Grey" is another one. But yeah, this one is unrelenting just like all of those. I feel like HMX would put it at five dots, but devils would probably be stretching it since it's mostly the same riff over and over. I also feel like guitar would have some gaps because I don't hear a whole lot of extraneous synths in the first two verses, but what's there is fun enough for sure, and some extra stuff comes in later to keep things varied. The disco beat on drums rounds this out nicely, lots of fun hi-hat action. I'd probably bump it up a dot just because >disco beat, three just seems too low for something like this.

So Debora Iyall sounds much less like Courtney Barnett in this song and adapts more of a normal "female new wave" vocal style here. That said, I'm not sure if it deserves to be on the same vocal tier as "Never Say Never" since the vocal style is so much smoother. I've noticed lately that HMX just likes to chart whatever's prominent at any given time to guitar, so I feel like they would chart some sax even if guitar is going on underneath. They did a similar thing with "Danger Zone" just recently, charting the scaling keyboard when they really didn't need to (ultimately it did provide a fun challenge though so I can't complain). I too am curious how they would chart that weird disco riffing in the verses. Depending on how they chart it it could very well be higher than a three, and if the sax solo is factored in, that would definitely bump it higher too. Anyway, hopefully you enjoyed the song. Everything else looks pretty agreeable.

For the next batch of assorted singles, we have a classic Eurodisco hit from Boney M. that would be fun for the whole band - Rock Band is criminally lacking in disco, I swear. Then, yet another CHVRCHES song to add to your tiering collection, which was actually the first song of theirs I ever heard. Ending it off is a song from a very strange indie band named Stepdad that I discovered over spring break - I highly suggest watching the music video for this one if you want to go on a 4-minute acid trip featuring Windows 98 graphics and prehistoric VHS video quality.

Boney M. - "Rasputin" (from Nightflight to Venus, 1978) (The things I would do to play that intro in RB...)
    CHVRCHES - "Recover" (from The Bones of What You Believe, 2013)
    Stepdad - "My Leather, My Fur, My Nails" (from Ordinaire EP, 2010) (No discernible guitar here, but plenty of synths to make up for it)

A quick note on the Stepdad song - it first appeared on the EP I listed above and later on the 2012 Wildlife Pop album. Harmonix is back and forth on this, and in an example like Vance Joy's "Riptide" they used the EP the song was first on rather than the album. It's up to you what release you want to use, either one is fine.

I'm considering requesting a re-tier just to bump up the drum tier a dot on "O B 1". Bass could maybe even use a bump as well given how relentless and tiring it would probably be to play. I also am tempted to say the Romeo Void song should be a dot higher on guitar because of the disco riff and potentially the sax solo (unless you weren't envisioning that being part of the chart). All up to you, though.
    edited March 30
    And now the "Shape of You" comparison. I actually haven't heard this song, as surprising as that may be, so I'm just going to compare the tiers themselves.

"Shape of You" comparison

Didn't turn out too bad outside of the three dot difference on drums. I read in the announcement post that they charted acoustic guitar percussion to drums, so maybe that bumped it up a bit and you didn't envision that originally? That aside, guitar and bass is spot-on, while vocals are two dots off.
    But in all seriousness, why isn't Rhythm Nation higher on drums?

And now the "Shape of You" comparison. I actually haven't heard this song, as surprising as that may be, so I'm just going to compare the tiers themselves.

"Shape of You" comparison

Didn't turn out too bad outside of the three dot difference on drums. I read in the announcement post that they charted acoustic guitar percussion to drums, so maybe that bumped it up a bit and you didn't envision that originally? That aside, guitar and bass is spot-on, while vocals are two dots off.

What the hell is that wacky drum chart. There isn't even anything that sounds like it should be charted like that.
    edited April 5
    TuleRune said:
    Wow, I didn't know CHVRCHES did "Way Down We Go", I'd love to hear that version.

In all seriousness, good stuff here. Looking forward to seeing the Frankie Goes to Hollywood pick (probably "Two Tribes") and I imagine Rag'n'Bone Man's pick will be "Human". I really won't be surprised if we see the latter in a future Off the Charts pack; it's gotten huge lately. Glad to see Car Seat Headrest get some rep too, of course. I probably prefer "Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales" over "Fill in the Blank" but it's still a good one.
  • My next songs, hope you enjoy them:
    Acid Bath - Scream of the Butterfly (The Sludge Metal classic)
    Schizoid Lloyd - Avalanche Riders (Some Prog that reminds me to Mastodon)
    Nuclear Assault - Critical Mass (Get ready for the CROSSOVER THRASH)

It doesn't feel well to write CROSSOVER THRASH without caps.

• Juiciest dang bourbon
    Anywho, more 'Mats, from my personal favorite album Hootenanny (1983)
    "Color Me Impressed"
    "Take Me Down to the Hospital"
    "Lovelines"

Also, would probably like to see how "Vincent" by Car Seat Headrest works, but "Fill in the Blank" is probably the right choice, if only for the "You have no right to be depressed!" part

TuleRune said:
    Wow, I didn't know CHVRCHES did "Way Down We Go", I'd love to hear that version.

In all seriousness, good stuff here. Looking forward to seeing the Frankie Goes to Hollywood pick (probably "Two Tribes") and I imagine Rag'n'Bone Man's pick will be "Human". I really won't be surprised if we see the latter in a future Off the Charts pack; it's gotten huge lately. Glad to see Car Seat Headrest get some rep too, of course. I probably prefer "Drunk Drivers/Killer Whales" over "Fill in the Blank" but it's still a good one.
    Pointing out that typo makes me sad because now I'd like to hear it.

Or at the very least a cover like Lauren Mayberry's version of Killing in the Name.