Does not hit notes

I got this game almost 3 months ago now and unfortunately have not been able to enjoy it yet due to complete and utter incompetence on the part of both harmonix and madcatz where customer service and technical support is concerned. I calibrated successfully and then the drums work but the guitar simply doesn't hit notes. Harmonix tried telling me they are just being missed which is a lazy response at best. I can guarantee you they are NOT "just being missed". They are getting hit, and yet nothing happens. I have been emailing for 3 months now back and forth and still no resolution, tried updating firmware and software and everything else they told me, I am ready to toss the game out the window and find a way, any way, to get my money back. If anybody knows this issue and can help please advise, any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    It's most likely your calibration. If you're absolutely certain you're hitting the notes when they cross the line, then does the audio line up with the notes?

Do they seem to be early or late when the notes cross?

This can be fixed.
  • I am absolutely certain...here's the thing, in some songs it will take none of them(obviously I don't suck that bad). In other songs during certain portions of the songs it will work and during others it won't(always the same parts). So for harmonix to try and tell me they are just being "missed" is infuriating. I literally between harmonix and madcatz probably have a total of like 8 tickets because they keep closing them believing the issue has been "fixed". The notes seem to be late even though I hit it on time but then if I try to overcompensate for it sometimes they appear to be early. If it is a calibration issue how come it is telling me the calibration is successful + drums work fine, and how do I fix that? Thanks!
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    Unfortunately, the calibration system isn't perfect. It can be skewed if any reaction is off when it's trying to determine the timing.

I'm an advocate of manually setting numbers yourself. It will be a process, but it will help in the long run
  • If calibration doesn't help, most likely the instrument it self is defective. Out of 5 guitars i own, 2 have delay input, but they are older generations and i use them only for bass. If i were you, i would return your equipment for exchange, if possible.
  • Thanks for your comments. In regards to the equipment, I'm on my third guitar now and that has not fixed the issue(yes madcatz actually sent me a replacement free of charge twice without even having to send the old one back, mind you they are the ones who determined it was faulty not me). Regarding the manual calibration, what do I do? Just try random numbers or is there a certain way I should do it?
  • JadiouJadiou Unsigned
    Try calibrating with this video:

I got my calibration right with the help of the video.
  • It could also be your TV. I swear some TVs refuse to allow a good calibration - I have nearly given up on playing the PS3 games on anything other than a crappy AV cable because my friend's TV has some sort of HDMI lag that I could not, for the love of me, find a way to turn off.

That said, my TV (which is an LG, same brand as my friend's) allows perfect calibration for any game (PS3 and PS4 RBs) to the point where I can use the same cal numbers for any instrument.

So I guess it's a TV model thing or something... I wouldn't know for sure.
  • I got a defective guitar. I ended shelving it and using my rb2 guitar. I got the rivals bundle for 40 at Wal-Mart and it came with a pdp guitar and it works flawlessly. Rivals is 30 by itself so I basically paid 10 dollars for a guitar. Check Wal-Mart or amazon. You might be able to find that same deal again.
  • @HMXOwl - A *serious* hint for a tip now -- "Notes always being missed on your drum or guitar/bass controller? Visit Settings > Calibration, calibrate system, and then adjust your numbers from there."
  • As I pointed out in another post, it's also possible that only your video calibration is off, and not the audio calibration. When you play drums. you're more likely using your ears to figure out the timing rather than your eyes, whereas for the guitar you might actually be using the track to guide your timing a bit, particularly on solos where not everything squares away properly.
  • If your on a newer flat screen tv... ensure the settings on the TV are set to Game Mode... These newer tv's automatically change scan rates to keep up with the changing TV inputs. When set to game mode, it locks in the scan rate so that your calibration sticks. I had a huge problem on my tv when I first started with RB4. It was frustrating as I would miss notes that I knew I was not missing. No amount of calibrations would keep it from happening. Found this tip and boom... now notes miss when I miss...
  • Thanks for your help guys however none of that seems to work either. Here is another odd issue, I can go to "training mode' and play a song and during certain parts(always the same parts) it will hit just fine, and then other parts it won't at all, but the same song in quickplay won't hit anything. I tried calibrating using the video and it's not the calibration because even if I randomly hit it just to see if it will get ANYTHING it won't which statistically is impossible. It's just like there's a glitch or something where the guitar can hit it perfectly but it just doesn't do anything with it even if it shows it hit it(by lighting up). Any other thoughts?
  • gervdoggervdog Opening Act
    This may seem obvious, but don't do anything until you put in a fresh set of batteries. I was missing notes a lot, and did nothing but change batteries and it really helped. Even though the batteries weren't that old.

Secondly, I have to change the calibration drastically between drums and guitar for some reason. Maybe it's the way I play. Also, I was using by RB2 guitar because it worked the best, but when the strum bar went on me I had to resort to the RB4 guitar. Again, I had to change the calibration drastically between the old and new guitar also.

And....depending on the song difficulty I've been switching between 1.5 & 1.75x the scroll speed. When I do this I may have to adjust the calibration slightly also. This could be because of when I'm seeing the notes pass the strum bar.

Maybe try flipping between songs (up & down) quickly in the menu with the strum bar. if there's a delay, it could be the strum bar isn't registering every hit. That happened to one of my guitars already. Or try hitting the frets before the song starts, and if any don't light up a button could be sticking.
  • edited February 20
    Jadiou said:

Try calibrating with this video:

I got my calibration right with the help of the video.

This video right here resolved most of my calibration issues. I used both the calibration tools - both automatic and manual and got consistent results each time which is why I though it was just me when it didn't feel right.

Turns out they were both way off on the video numbers - by about 30ms and 20ms on the audio. While the video recommends that you have a second person for audio, I found it easy to calibrate myself by going to training mode and playing "blitzkreig bop" at 70% speed on easy which made it very easy to see where audio was out of sync when playing by beat.

Edit: I remember the ps3 les paul (worst guitar controller ever btw) has constantly changing lag which made calibration impossible. Don't know if its possible that this can affect strat controllers? Is there any possible wireless interference nearby that could cause issues?
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    When your guitar misses a series of notes that you are hitting, is the guitar light flashing? If so, that is the wireless signal dropping out. When it hits the notes it may be that the guitar does find the signal again. Make sure there is nothing blocking the signal like a TV stand with a door on it for example.

Failing this, have you tried completely powering down your console, unplug the power and leave it for about 30 seconds before plugging it in and turning it on again? These consoles don't completely power down when you turn them off just by pressing the "off" button; and it leaves everything loaded in the memory so that booting up is quicker; but that can have a major effect on a lot of games.
  • Nothing has worked so at this point I have to conclude that this game/company are an incompetent waste of time.
  • KickingguruKickingguru Unsigned
    edited February 26
    terrible conclusion.... at this point... I am going with either user error.. or your unlucky and have a broken guitar... try another guitar to confirm the 2nd ... otherwise.. its the first...

Hundreds of thousands of people play this game with no issues. If you truly want to play it, you need to figure out your issue.
  • edited February 26
    oriz123 said:

Nothing has worked so at this point I have to conclude that this game/company are an incompetent waste of time.

I'll ask the very, very silly and obvious question, but you do strum a fraction of a second before the note passes the bar, right?

Even if you're using the higher frets (solo buttons) those would work without strumming in the solos, but still require strumming anywhere else on the charts.
  • terrible conclusion.... at this point... I am going with either user error.. or your unlucky and have a broken guitar... try another guitar to confirm the 2nd ... otherwise.. its the first...

Hundreds of thousands of people play this game with no issues. If you truly want to play it, you need to figure out your issue.

Your comment is exactly the issue and just proves my point...you're doing the same thing they do, first you don't pay attention to what I ALREADY wrote(it's the third guitar) and second you assume it is me even though I've played other versions of this game as well as guitar hero in the past with no issues. Well let me assure you it is not me, and just because you or them have no clue what the issue is doesn't mean there isn't one and that it should not be figured out and fixed. I have spent hours upon hours trying to fix this issue. Obviously no one has any good ideas so best to just admit it instead of blaming the user.
  • zabigg said:

oriz123 said:

Nothing has worked so at this point I have to conclude that this game/company are an incompetent waste of time.

I'll ask the very, very silly and obvious question, but you do strum a fraction of a second before the note passes the bar, right?

Even if you're using the higher frets (solo buttons) those would work without strumming in the solos, but still require strumming anywhere else on the charts.
    Of course, again, it's not me so next.
  • oriz123 said:

zabigg said:

oriz123 said:

Of course, again, it's not me so next.
    Which console?
  • edited February 27
    @oriz123 - I guess I'm trying to shear a pig here, but I still think the issue could possibly be calibration, because If you've gone through multiple hardware units and are experiencing the same problem, there could be a few more things to try.

I've found that playing multiple instruments can make things a lot more complicated. Personal experience-inspired hint:

My audio calibration on vocals, is twitchy (hmm no wonder I always had problems speaking out of turn as a kid) - I've set it at -20ms typically. Video is calibrated at 0.

But, when I play the bass or drums (here comes the equivalent of actual music class) - I have to have it at +60ms for both audio and video due to being a slow klutz.

So I have a tradeoff -- If I want to have really good vocals scores, I have to go back and re-enter my calibration numbers because I can talk the talk a lot faster than I can strum the strum or bang the bang, or something like that.

Try the following for each instrument.
    • Set the audio and video calibrations to -100ms
    • Things will almost certainly seem like they're way out of sync, with the game showing you gems way before your fingers can hit them and playing the music too far in advance.
    • Adjust audio and video step by step towards (and if needed) past 0.
    • This took 20-30 tries for me, by the way.
    • Record your optimum calibration numbers for each instrument.
    So at the end, I have a feeling you're having a discrepancy between instruments. If you're way more skilled on one than the other, your reaction times will be different, and if you're anything like me, calibration will help suit the game not just to your hardware but also your own capabilities.

I agree that RB's auto-calibration functions are terribly designed, do not take into account certain human factors, and need to be more interactive (like "sing when you see the bar" and not "push the A button when you see the needle hit the side" - because we don't sing with the A button). The existing calibration modality only seems to take into account device engineering factors but not human ones...

Best of luck.
  • @oriz123 -- I have another question due to a recent issue I've had with my guitar controller -- Is your strum bar making noisy tapping sounds as it goes down? That means the down strum function is physically broken and PDP should be buried with extreme prejudice.