New Xbox Live Creators Program; A way back for RBN?

tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
I was going to post this on the RBN board, but I figured no one would see it there. Anyway, Xbox announced a new Creators Program to facilitate independent game publishing on Xbox (and Windows 10). Admittedly, I know next to nothing about how this stuff works; but IIRC, what was keeping RBN from coming back in RB4 (on consoles at least) was lack of an XNA-like publishing program. Would this be a suitable alternative to that?

I'm not trying to start rumors or anything, I'm genuinely asking. Here's a link to the program:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/games/xbox/xboxlive/creator

Comments

• WoodenGloryWoodenGlory Unsigned
    edited March 2
    I want to stay as neutral as possible, but at the same time...

IF, and this is a big IF, Harmonix can work out a new form of RBN for the Xbone/Win 10 devices, then I'm all for it. But that would also mean making a a near-on-par version of RB4 with Rivals for PC a thing. We saw how well this plan worked last year, if you all remember.

So, I'm waiting to hear any official word on what their plans are and if they even will be doing anything with this anytime soon, but if nothing else, we might get some new "secret projects" made through this.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Like I said before, I barely understand this stuff. I think I remember someone saying before the issue was content approval and it sounds like this new program removes that barrier. But it also sounds like this is meant for complete games, not add-on content.

Bringing back RBN would amazing though, especially with how limited DLC is this time around.
  • But will this new program allow to publish content on all the bazar or only for select countries?
  • Wildcat15 said:

But will this new program allow to publish content on all the bazar or only for select countries?

Expect the exact same.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    tdc002 said:

Like I said before, I barely understand this stuff. I think I remember someone saying before the issue was content approval and it sounds like this new program removes that barrier. But it also sounds like this is meant for complete games, not add-on content.

Bringing back RBN would amazing though, especially with how limited DLC is this time around.

Given what Nord said during the campaign, this is exactly what Harmonix needs to re-instate the platform. We had a brief mix-up a few months ago with some 'XNA' related tools, but this is a full on submissions platform, which is the piece we were missing.

Now the ball's in Harmonix's court to implement their end again.
  • I'm guessing this system would also make legacy RBN easier to implement as well (at least the 360 stuff)?
  • HMXOwl said:

Wildcat15 said:

But will this new program allow to publish content on all the bazar or only for select countries?

Expect the exact same.
    Then I don't care what happens.

I'm guessing this system would also make legacy RBN easier to implement as well (at least the 360 stuff)?

Nah, that seems like it would be even more complicated since it's porting over content people have already bought and all the entitlement issues that come with it.
    HMXOwl said:

Expect the exact same.

@HMXOwl said to expect the exact same! That means it's got what we need! We're back! Couple thousand new songs!
  • tdc002 said:

I'm guessing this system would also make legacy RBN easier to implement as well (at least the 360 stuff)?

Nah, that seems like it would be even more complicated since it's porting over content people have already bought and all the entitlement issues that come with it.
    I'm talking about outside of entitlement issues, that could be worked on directly after delisted DLC.

tdc002 said:

I'm talking about outside of entitlement issues, that could be worked on directly after delisted DLC.
    Yeah, but implementing a new system to get new content into the game has nothing to do with old content from the last generation, unless they're resubmitting it to be sold again.
  • WoodenGloryWoodenGlory Unsigned
    edited March 2
    tdc002 said:

tdc002 said:

Yeah, but implementing a new system to get new content into the game has nothing to do with old content from the last generation, unless they're resubmitting it to be sold again.
    Nice can of worms you got there.

Be a shame if somebody were to...OPEN IT. :p

I'd still buy some of the old stuff again if the new RB4 features could be implemented alongside it.
  • tdc002 said:

tdc002 said:

Well if the system isn't needed for legacy RBN to transfer normally then fine, it just being a means of getting the new content out. I was just thinking if the system was needed for entitlements to happen.
  • Well, in advance can someone post that guide of how to chart songs? :p
    Wildcat15 said:

Well, in advance can someone post that guide of how to chart songs? :p

There's some tutorials on YouTube.
  • tdc002 said:

Wildcat15 said:

I remeber this really big wiki page that had all the requeriments and tips on how to do a good chart for RBN, including dificulty, events, animations, etc. but I forgot to bookmark it.
    @TubaDude49 did you post it once?
    Wildcat15 said:

tdc002 said:

Wildcat15 said:

I remeber this really big wiki page that had all the requeriments and tips on how to do a good chart for RBN, including dificulty, events, animations, etc. but I forgot to bookmark it.
    It's on creators.rockband.com

A HMX employee has a mirror here: http://pksage.com/rbndocs/index.php?title=Authoring
  • Wildcat15 said:

tdc002 said:

Wildcat15 said:

It's on creators.rockband.com

A HMX employee has a mirror here: http://pksage.com/rbndocs/index.php?title=Authoring
    I was looking exactly for that page, thanks.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    Wildcat15 said:

HMXOwl said:

Wildcat15 said:

Expect the exact same.
    Make 2nd account, set location to one of the countries that can get it. Download songs on that.
    Don't even have to sign into said account to play the songs as long as you're on the same xbox on which they were first downloaded
  • g-money25g-money25 Unsigned
    What happens to playstation owners if this were to work out the way we hope, would we just get slim pickings of the hundreds of songs that get made?
  • jibjqrkl said:

Wildcat15 said:

HMXOwl said:

Wildcat15 said:

Expect the exact same.
    Make 2nd account, set location to one of the countries that can get it. Download songs on that.
    Don't even have to sign into said account to play the songs as long as you're on the same xbox on which they were first downloaded
    Can I have an account accessing the USA bazar and another one accessing the mexican bazar in the same console? It wouldn't cause conflict with my IP?

If ir works then I have to import MS cards from the USA to buy... maybe a friend can help me with that.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    g-money25 said:

What happens to playstation owners if this were to work out the way we hope, would we just get slim pickings of the hundreds of songs that get made?

PlayStation didn't have anything like the creators tools on 360, thus anything made on 360 had to be remade by Harmonix on PS3. It would be nice if Sony did something similar, but sadly we know that won't happen soon.

Basically you're complaining that the island you live on has a narrower bridge than another island.
    Witticus said:

g-money25 said:

PlayStation didn't have anything like the creators tools on 360, thus anything made on 360 had to be remade by Harmonix on PS3. It would be nice if Sony did something similar, but sadly we know that won't happen soon.

Basically you're complaining that the island you live on has a narrower bridge than another island.
    "Remade" is a strong word. All HMX did was submit the exact same files through Sony's quality control, something Microsoft really didn't do for their UGC (they left it up to your peers)
    HMXOwl said:

g-money25 said:

You're putting the cart before the horse.
    Yeah, a lot of this talk is getting out of hand haha. I was just curious if this new program was similar to 360's XNA program. Lots of jumping to conclusions.
  • tdc002 said:

HMXOwl said:

g-money25 said:

You're putting the cart before the horse.
    I was just curious if this new program was similar to 360's XNA program.
    To keep it simple, not particularly.
  • I would enjoy RBN returning!
    Won't get my hopes up, but just wanted to voice my acceptance of Harmonix looking into this! ;)!
  • ZigZag2005ZigZag2005 Road Warrior
    Hype train...

I would enjoy RBN returning!
    Won't get my hopes up, but just wanted to voice my acceptance of Harmonix looking into this! ;)!

Same here. As long as they're keeping up the trend of only one new song a week (and one Rewind), having a couple RBN songs in there to supplement that would help a bit.
  • White_PawZWhite_PawZ Road Warrior
    If RBN comes back I'll be working to get some Bear Hands into the game!