Introducing Our Next Game: DropMix [the Discussion Thread]

edited March 10 in DropMix
HMXCrisis said:

DropMix

Today, we’re extremely excited to announce DropMix, a brand new game that we’re making in partnership with our friends at Hasbro. DropMix is a fast-paced music mixing game where players create one of a kind mixes by playing cards featuring hit songs from award-winning artists. It’s completely unlike anything else you’ve ever played and we hope it will give you that same deep connection to your music and your friends that our previous fan favorites like Rock Band or Dance Central have offered.

DropMix Board

So, how do you play DropMix? Each card in DropMix represents a different part of a song – like vocals, bass, drums, etc. As you place cards on the electronic DropMix board, which connects to a free app on your iOS or Android device, you and your friends will hear a custom mix start to take shape in real-time. We’re starting off by introducing Clash Mode, where you can either face off against one friend to play 1v1, or team up to take down two buddies 2v2. There’s a lot of depth and strategy to Clash Mode, but the core idea is that you earn points by playing cards and it’s a race to 21. There’s also an option to save your mix to your device, so when you’re playing and you’ve got those cards sounding just right, you can save it for you and your friends to enjoy.

Clash Mode

It’ll be coming out in September 2017, and we’ve got over 300 DropMix cards in store for the 2017 collection, across a variety of genres, so there’s sure to be something for everyone. On top of that, sometimes mixes sound even better when you combine cards that span very different genres! Take a look at some of the songs that’ll be coming to DropMix later this year:

DropMix Artists

There’s still a lot of info to come, and we can’t wait to share it with you. Expect to see gameplay demos on Twitch, hands-on demos at various events throughout the year, and plenty more info about the game, including new game modes and more songs that you’ll be able to mix with! To stay up to date on everything DropMix, be sure to follow us on the… er, following channels (hint: it’s @dropmixgame everywhere).

Tell your friends, and stay tuned for more DropMix info ahead of the September launch. It’ll be worth the wait.

Talk about our new game announce here!

Comments

• LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    I've never heard of a remixing card game. I'll be keeping an eye to see how this shapes up.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    Interesting concept, look forward to seeing in action.
  • Fun fact (thank you Paste Magazine): "...the game would retail in September for $99.99, with collectible card packs going for $14.99 and $4.99.."
    100 bucks. And packs for between 5 and 15?
    (UPDATE: Thanks Engadget!)
    "The basic Dropmix set will include the board and a set of 60 cards across multiple genres, and it will cost $100 when it launches in September. But, just as with Rock Band, more songs will become available throughout the year, with genre-based "Playlist Packs" going for $15 each while randomly assorted "Discover Packs" will cost $5."
    ...Care to comment?
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act

but it does feel like VR and now this will divert licensing and development money/resources that could've been used on Rock Band 4.

Not really.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act

Fun fact (thank you Paste Magazine): "...the game would retail in September for $99.99, with collectible card packs going for $14.99 and $4.99.."
    100 bucks. And packs for between 5 and 15?
    (UPDATE: Thanks Engadget!)
    "The basic Dropmix set will include the board and a set of 60 cards across multiple genres, and it will cost $100 when it launches in September. But, just as with Rock Band, more songs will become available throughout the year, with genre-based "Playlist Packs" going for $15 each while randomly assorted "Discover Packs" will cost $5."
    ...Care to comment?

To be fair... I can easily see something like this catching fire. So long as it works flawlessly of course.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited March 10
    Looks interesting and a fresh take on how to mix music into games. Looks like something I could get into with my kid....can't wait to see demos of it in action.

How do you add songs to it? Assume it'll be some sort of DLC model... so the number one question for us RB diehards (as asked above) is whether there will be any crossover into RB4? Edit: after reading the article, I guess you can scratch the question about "DLC" cross-over...

Also, for our "out-of-the-states" brethren can you start teaming with Hasbro to make the controllers for RB? ...assuming they have distribution around the world, they've got to be big enough to handle getting stuff out there and making it more durable and more available... right? Maybe they can manufacture a new MPA compatible with the XBO midi-drummers?
  • Dr_DrumminDr_Drummin Unsigned
    It looks cool. Interesting artist mix. I like it!! Now, I'd love to have some Ricky Martin and more latin artists in Rivals. Not to mention that some vocalists I know would kill for Barbra Streisand on RB (although I'm sure that there would be plenty that would curse HMX for that ;-) ). Looking forward to DropMix.
  • Livin' La Vida Loca. /thread

And yeah, if this works, then I welcome that!

But I do feel a little bit out of the main demographic for something like this. I play Cards Against Humanity but obviosuly that's a completely different subset of the population (...and for good reason).
    ...ahhh, so the cards hold a chip of some sort that contains the music... even more interesting.
    Yep, cards...

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/03/dropmix-has-some-impressive-tech-but-is-it-more-th.html

Officially revealed today, Dropmix isn’t played on a console or PC, but a physical board in conjunction with an app for iOS or Android. The game is about dropping differently-colored, NFC chip-carrying cards —each representing a song— into corresponding “Mix Slots” to create original mashups while battling other players for control over said mix. Green cards contain bass lines and harmonies, yellows have your leads (mostly vocals), reds play melodic loops and blues lay down beats. Each card has a power level between one and three, and the player’s goal is to score points by playing equal or higher numbered cards on top of their opponents’. You can also spin the “Equalizer” wheel to knock out a randomized level of card. Introduce a handful of wild cards into the mix, and you’ve pretty much got a sense of the game.
  • Expensive.
    But I'm curious to see it in action, cuz it sounds fun.. Could be a neat family Christmas gift.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited March 10
    It'll be interesting to see the game shown off. As for the card packs sold separately, I guess they are random just like with stuff such as Pokemon and amiibo card booster packs, right?

@TubaDude49 It's pretty obvious RBVR is the cause of the RB4 DLC reduction and feel free to correct me but I'm pretty sure the plan was always that Amplitude would have no DLC.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior

It'll be interesting to see the game shown off. As for the card packs sold separately, I guess they are random just like with stuff such as Pokemon and amiibo card booster packs, right?

@TubaDude49 It's pretty obvious RBVR is the cause of the RB4 DLC reduction and feel free to correct me but I'm pretty sure the plan was always that Amplitude would have no DLC.

The plan wasn't that Amplitude would have no DLC, it was that they would gauge interest before commiting to it. They said it didn't have the playerbase to justify it.

And while RBVR is a factor in our meager DLC output, it's just another project competing for resources. They've explicitly said before that Rock Band's output has gone down (even since RB4 came out) because they are allocating resources to other projects. RBVR is just one of those projects, and while it's the only one that shares the RB name, that doesn't mean all the others don't affect RB.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited March 10
    @TubaDude49 Don't forget that RBVR is getting DLC as well as having around 30 (this number is a prediction based on the reveals so far) new songs to the platform which some may not come to RB4, it's a much bigger deal than say HMX Music VR where when the game was finished that was it for the game.

If all the new songs to the platform for RBVR and its DLC come to RB4 then I don't mind the reduced output we're seeing currently but I get the feeling that won't be the case.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Neat! I'm eager to try this out. I hope it's a big hit for HMX.

I'd love to bring this to a gaming MeetUp, maybe even a board game event, heads would explode.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    Is this if a precursor to Rock Band getting The Mother We Share, I'm sold.
  • I tend to stay away from iphones and such so this is obvious not for me.

But does anyone else feel that RB4 is now just a side hobby and not the main concern?
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    Interesting idea. I think it could be pretty fun

Now I hope HMX working with Hasbro means we will be getting some My Little Pony DLC in Rock Band down the line :p
  • Interesting idea. I think it could be pretty fun

Now I hope HMX working with Hasbro means we will be getting some My Little Pony DLC in Rock Band down the line :p

My first thought was Hasbro might be interested in putting Can't Stop the Feeling in this game given Trolls was such a success.

Or at least the song was a big reason why the soundtrack was.
  • Would love to see It's Tricky on Rock Band. This game has a really interesting concept but I'm not sure it's for me.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited March 10
    As long as every card is in genre packs, non random, so we can get cards without randomness. I'm not getting into a music version of Magic: the Gathering.

Price point for buy-in is a little high for me, but I saw "random card packs" and that is a big nope for me. I refuse to do any randomly-packaged-game-pieces game ever again.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    Not too interested in this, but would definitely be interested in "Save a Horse..." for Rock Band. :)
  • JLynn943JLynn943 Unsigned
    It definitely sounds intriguing (albeit expensive). I'll be very curious to see it in action.
  • XzalorXzalor Rising Star
    edited March 10
    Glad to see this game come to light. The alpha years ago was so much fun. Will definitely be getting this!!