Introducing Our Next Game: DropMix [the Discussion Thread]

Comments

• MemoDLSGMemoDLSG Opening Act
    Looks interesting enough, but very expensive, and random packs, no thanks.

Interesting seeing I Want You Back there... it doesn't confirm it, of course, but it gives me hope it's coming to RB4 as Rewind (I don't have LEGO), and, dare I dream, even actual Michael Jackson in RB4?
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    This in intriguing to say the least. Curious to see actual gameplay in the coming months.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    I love the idea of a mashup/remix-themed game, where the goal is to make really weird mashups of different songs in wildly different genres. However, with the base game being as expensive as it is, and with the card packs being randomized, I doubt I'll ever pick it up (plus, I currently don't have a smart phone. Way too poor for one of those things). That said, I am interested in seeing how it actually plays out, as a fan of remixes and mashups.
    edited March 10
    UPDATE: It appears none of the packs are randomized, meaning small packs appear to consist of the parts to a single song.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/5ym7g3/harmonix_blog_introducing_our_next_game_dropmix/derfiry/
  • gaiacatgaiacat Unsigned
    I'm seeing a lot of articles on this game today, but can't find any video. harmonix, can you share some gameplay?
  • Tom ImpTom Imp Road Warrior
    edited March 10
    I'm going to have to actually see it in action, but right now it's a bit confusing to me. If the point of the game is to get to 21 first, where does the music come in other than to try and make some mix that has no bearing on the actual win/lose scenario?
  • gaiacat said:

I'm seeing a lot of articles on this game today, but can't find any video. harmonix, can you share some gameplay?

Hoping to livestream this early next week! Stay tuned for a date/time.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior

UPDATE: It appears none of the packs are randomized, meaning small packs appear to consist of the parts to a single song.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/5ym7g3/harmonix_blog_introducing_our_next_game_dropmix/derfiry/

Thanks. That kicks my interest up to "probably going to buy it"
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star
    The concept sounds really interesting, but I'm not feeling the pricing.

I'll probably just wait for the clearance sale.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    Sounds like Fantasia x Yugioh

Will be getting for "Temperature"
  • I'm just shocked they didn't go full bore and release Rock Band Board Game™.

How do I deploy in that game?
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    Wildcat15 said:

I'm just shocked they didn't go full bore and release Rock Band Board Game™.

How do I deploy in that game?
    Turn It Like This /
  • This should work on any iPhone right?
  • This should work on any iPhone right?

I don't think we've finalized specs yet, but you don't need the most current or anything.
  • HMXJosh said:

This should work on any iPhone right?

I don't think we've finalized specs yet, but you don't need the most current or anything.
    I have an iPhone 4. So maybe it will work?
  • Tom Imp said:

I'm going to have to actually see it in action, but right now it's a bit confusing to me. If the point of the game is to get to 21 first, where does the music come in other than to try and make some mix that has no bearing on the actual win/lose scenario?

I mean, since we aren't detailing everything quite yet, I can really only say the mix DOES have bearing on the win/loss scenario. Otherwise it'd just be chuckling at mixes while points alternated and the person who started wins every time. Which isn't...well, any positive adjective.
  • While I get HMX "gotta do what a company gotta do", this isn't for me, from either an interest or financial standpoint.
  • Will this be launching outside of America?
  • HMXJosh said:

We're not done with optimization yet so this could change, but I think that might be a little too old. :(

@Tranquilbez22 I'd have to check for specific regions, but yes, we will be launching internationally!
  • army_of_mearmy_of_me Rising Star
    edited March 11
    Seeing as the audience for Rock Band doesn't exist anymore (at least to the extent it did), it seems smart for them to appeal to a different audience.

Plus there's precedence for games centered around collectibles being very successful, such as Skylanders. So I disagree with anyone saying it's a terrible idea - I think it has potential. At least, as a HMX fan, I hope so.
    I realize this is a long shot, but for those of us without a modern smart phone, how about maybe a PC version of the app? Maybe allow those who have a computer to hook up their board to that instead, since I assume a computer with the specs needed would be easier to come by than a phone with the specs.
  • crazysean05crazysean05 Opening Act
    I'm willing to try out anything Harmonix puts out, but I generally hate playing games on my phone. Especially since a lot of them zap your battery without you even playing it.

This seems like a game that would be perfect for the Nintendo Switch, (as a Switch owner, would so love to play it on something like that instead.) I am worried about the cost though.

To all the people upset about resources going to games like this and not Rock Band. I mean heaven forbid a developer wants to make other things and continue to innovate in a space where they have a market share. I'd say this is healthy for them.
  • I realize this is a long shot, but for those of us without a modern smart phone, how about maybe a PC version of the app? Maybe allow those who have a computer to hook up their board to that instead, since I assume a computer with the specs needed would be easier to come by than a phone with the specs.

Maybe an Android emulator? I don't know how to connect the board, though.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited March 11
    i hope we get Childish Gambino, Churches, Run DMC, Tribe Called Quest and Young MC as RB4 DLC.

oh yeah, about the game... not for me, but i'd give it much better odds of success than RBVR.
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    This sounds super cool, and a very likely purchase if it lands around here. My friends and I play quite a varied range of board games, and this could be a cool addition. Really looking forward to this.

As for the price, I expected this to cost a fair amount. That deck has to cost something to manufacture.
  • Edify1Edify1 Rising Star
    edited March 11
    Looks like an interesting concept, and I love card games. I'm guessing working on this new game is part of the reason we've been receiving so few songs as DLC in Rock Band 4. Unfortunately the pricing is a bit steep, and I've invested so much money into Rock Band 4 that I can't really afford to invest in a new game.
  • HMXJosh said:

HMXJosh said:

We're not done with optimization yet so this could change, but I think that might be a little too old. :(
    Well at least I have several months to find out. If I need a newer one I'm sure I can get a cheaper one somewhere.
  • I've never seen the appeal of turn based card games. No thanks. :s
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    Well, I just watched the trailer on Facebook from a post on Reddit:
    https://www.facebook.com/dropmixgame/videos/392287027806921/

As a musician and music fanatic, this game is actually intriguing to me. But I don't know if this is something I'd want to play with others initially. I'd rather just play around with it all day trying everything out and seeing what I can make from all the samples.

Given the fact that you're adding different stems to the game, this gives it better potential for these songs being secured for a later RB release.... hopefully.

Maybe that's what the drought has been. HMX needs to partner with other companies for funding purposes, but must hold off on the DLC until the partnered products are in full distribution.