Introducing Our Next Game: DropMix [the Discussion Thread]

Comments

• wreckem279wreckem279 Opening Act
    No idea how well this will sell but I am most likely going to get it. I think it looks like a lot of fun.

I really hope it works out well for HMX too. They seem like they need a W desperately.
  • BrutalBrianBrutalBrian Road Warrior
    I don't know about this game, sounds like it would get annoying fast. Price tag is very high.

Seriously, THIS game gets Chvrches and not RB4? Really? smh
  • RaccoonaticRaccoonatic Unsigned
    edited March 13
    @yoann007

I have not said either of those things. I did not say Harmonix was dying. I did not say what they should do. I expressed some concern and I did so fairly politely. That was it.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith

@yoann007

I have not said either of those things. I did not say Harmonix was dying. I did not say what they should do. I expressed some concern and I did so fairly politely. That was it.

You'll note that you were the other category, not the one that said Harmonix was dying.
  • Odin ForceOdin Force Road Warrior
    I feel like I am pretty well about the most target customer for this ever. I love Rock Band (obviously) and Frequency/Amplitude/Blitz were something I adored for the mixing. I play board games regularly, enjoy collecting card games, and love digital games that involve a phone (like Jackbox).

...But here's the thing. I still feel like this is slightly off-base. I feel it would have worked better entirely digitally, like an app where people still pay to open packs. Again, online match-making. That would eliminate the need for an expensive peripheral and probably also bolster the popularity without having to be a physical card game.

That said, I'm in. I'll buy it. I'm setting aside $200 to be able to get the things I want for this... I just hope it plays out well.
  • I guess I don't get what is involved for each song.. For instance, Its Tricky is shown.. But just the beat.. Are the vocals of that song also "playable"? September by Earth Wind & Fire is shown - the vocals anyway.. But is it just the chorus? Or if I let that mix continue, will the verse play as well? If it's just a snippet of each song, that seems pretty weak..
  • KhurseKhurse Unsigned
    Just realized that "Childish Gambino - Heartbeat" was in this. I just heard it yesterday and also an awesome mashup with "Twenty One Pilots - Car Radio".
  • I don't know about this game, sounds like it would get annoying fast. Price tag is very high.

omg you are **** hilarious...this game at about $100 is too high in price but Rock Band at around $200 for a complete box of instruments and the game is not expensive? Makes perfect sense to me!

I don't know about this game, sounds like it would get annoying fast. Price tag is very high.

omg you are **** hilarious...this game at about $100 is too high in price but Rock Band at around $200 for a complete box of instruments and the game is not expensive? Makes perfect sense to me!
    As currently shown, there's a pretty big difference in what you're getting for your money.

Also, people will spend their money on what they want to spend their money on. I'd buy a full band Rock Band 5 without a moment's hesitation at that price, already having it all (over and over). Consumers, man.
  • only Phone(/tablet)?

I'm out - This game looks reaaallly awesome I'ld love to play it ... on my PS4....

like ppl mentioned - a digital version of it wouldve made me so happy - like hearthstone for android/iOS - but without the limitation to tables/phones - adding Ps4, X1, PC.
    Not sure if it would've worked out at all, since we havent seen much. it wouldnt feel the same ofc, but i switched from MtG to Hearthstone quite a while ago, it doesnt really feel like a TCG, but it does its job - u dont need friends to come over etc - still wish blizzard would bring hearthstone to PS4/X1 lol.
    and maybe .... HMX might do the same - dont think it would be too hard to make it work on a console as well ;)
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act

only Phone(/tablet)?

I'm out - This game looks reaaallly awesome I'ld love to play it ... on my PS4....

like ppl mentioned - a digital version of it wouldve made me so happy - like hearthstone for android/iOS - but without the limitation to tables/phones - adding Ps4, X1, PC.
    Not sure if it would've worked out at all, since we havent seen much. it wouldnt feel the same ofc, but i switched from MtG to Hearthstone quite a while ago, it doesnt really feel like a TCG, but it does its job - u dont need friends to come over etc - still wish blizzard would bring hearthstone to PS4/X1 lol.
    and maybe .... HMX might do the same - dont think it would be too hard to make it work on a console as well ;)

Actually, that would be really cool if the game could be downloaded as a free app on an Xbox One (or whatever modern console) and then sync up with the peripheral somehow to play on a big screen for those of use with lesser phones/no tablet.

Unfortunately I know that, at least in Microsoft's case, they only allow peripherals specifically designed for Xbox One to be used, so they would have to sell an adapter in their circumstance, and we all saw how well that went for Rock Band 4.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    I have a question.

I know there are wildcards that include all the parts of a song, as well as individual parts as separate cards. I realize some songs won't have all the parts as separate cards, but will there be any songs that will have all the available parts as separate parts (for example, a song split between red, blue, yellow and green parts)? I ask because there are songs I'm hoping to be able to use all the parts to that aren't wildcards.
  • edited March 16

I have a question.

I know there are wildcards that include all the parts of a song, as well as individual parts as separate cards. I realize some songs won't have all the parts as separate cards, but will there be any songs that will have all the available parts as separate parts (for example, a song split between red, blue, yellow and green parts)? I ask because there are songs I'm hoping to be able to use all the parts to that aren't wildcards.

I don't think so, I think the most we'll have is three parts, not all four. Keep in mind also that you can't rebuild an entire song with this, as even with a wild, you can only get two parts of that track at a time (since the wild can't be in multiple slots at the same time). This is a game about mixing songs together, we're really trying to encourage people to not just rebuild their favorite songs.

Edit: I was wrong, there are some songs where we will have all four parts. These won't necessarily be in the same deck though, you might have two parts to a song in one rock deck and two other parts in another.
  • Here's the stream on demand if you missed it yesterday:

• LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited March 16
    HMXJosh said:

I have a question.

I don't think so, I think the most we'll have is three parts, not all four. Keep in mind also that you can't rebuild an entire song with this, as even with a wild, you can only get two parts of that track at a time (since the wild can't be in multiple slots at the same time). This is a game about mixing songs together, we're really trying to encourage people to not just rebuild their favorite songs.

Edit: I was wrong, there are some songs where we will have all four parts. These won't necessarily be in the same deck though, you might have two parts to a song in one rock deck and two other parts in another.
    Alright, thanks for the answer. I wasn't looking to re-create any songs, just thinking that it'd be cool to have all the parts of these songs on-hand for maximum potential with the remixes and such. Though I also understand that, as mentioned in the stream, some songs have parts that aren't as memorable, so rather than have people spend money on, say, some subbassey bass part that's highly repetitive and non-moving, you'd focus on the parts people would want to play with, such as the vocals, drum beats, and any instruments that aren't just minimalist and repetitive.

EDIT: Also the song I had in mind for this was "The Final Countdown," and re-watching the stream last night, I learned (and must have missed the first time) that The Final Countdown is a wildcard, so it'll have all the parts anyways. There are still others I hope to see all the instruments for someday, though.
  • bandaddybandaddy Rising Star
    No interest whatsoever. Good luck with it, though.
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    Damn, the stream made me want this so much more. Looks very cool.
    I'm so in. I really hope for this to be a smash success.
  • Delibird444Delibird444 Opening Act
    yoann007 said:

Harmonix is a good company, so I hope it does well... but it does feel like VR and now this will divert licensing and development money/resources that could've been used on Rock Band 4. I tend to worry too much so, probably not, but it was my most immediate concern when I saw it announced this morning.

Harmonix is mainly doing RB4 : "ugh, a one-game studio, they are dying"
    Harmonix is doing something other than RB : "ugh, you should spend all your time and money on RB"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    It's the Nintendo Effect- no matter what they do or what new ideas they come up with, someone exclaims that they are dead.

Meanwhile, I'm stoked for this game and can't wait to have it at Rock Band's 10th Birthday party we're doing in November~
  • Hey guys, DropMix has brought me back to the boards! The game has a lot of potential for competitive gameplay, i'm on board no matter what at this point, but will you guys be implementing a feature suggestion thread or function on the site closer to release? I'm hoping to pitch a couple features that will grow the community faster.

...will you guys be implementing a feature suggestion thread or function on the site closer to release? I'm hoping to pitch a couple features that will grow the community faster.

I say pitch them now and here!

That said, I'm willing to bet the stuff in the core game is very basic. I'd hope expansions add some depth. One of my (minor) concerns is the gameplay being shallow. ( @HMXJosh I'll fly to Boston if I gotta to help!)
  • I don't know if it's shallow, but I do know that I watched the whole 50min video and I still don't "get it".. The tech is admittedly very cool, and that's what is intriguing to me, but I absolutely don't understand the whole scoring system..
  • shayboshaybo Road Warrior
    I'll buy it, also the perfect target. Shocked they didn't make an all-digital version like a Hearthstone. I'd buy both.
  • I'd like to know more about the artwork on each card.. In the livestream it seemed like they were about to talk about it, but then went off in another direction.. So there's brand new, original art for each song, right? They talked real quick about the one for I Want You Back - which does look cool.. I don't think I understand the concept behind the 24K Magic art (which look like some sort of figure eight in rainbow form)..

Do the rights holders for each song get any sort of say in the artwork representing their songs? Veto power at least if they don't like it?
    From what I can tell, it's a different piece of art for each card (not even each song). I think the art isn't part of the deal with artists, as we can see in the promo photo of the peripheral (look at the start of this thread) that the art on the wild card "A Tribe Called Quest - Sceneario" has since been reassigned to "Childish Gambino - Heartbeat" in the LiveStream.
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    Really glad I watched the stream because I am now extremely interested in this.
  • edited March 27
    The art doesn't necessarily reference the music in any way, it's just cool art.