Rock Band VR's Final Setlist and First DLC Reveal [Discussion Thread]

Comments

• TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    I know what I want...
    ...our Band of Skulls RBN track back.
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned

I know what I want...
    ...our Band of Skulls RBN track back.

Before I'd listened to Band of Horses properly, I use to think it was a weird collaboration group between Band of Skulls and Pulled Apart By Horses... that certainly put me off listening for a while...
  • I want to see:
    Freewill- Rush
    Pull me Under- Dream Theater
    Circie- Ghost
    Ain't it Fun- Paramore
    Heaven Knows- The Pretty Reckless
    Champagne Supernova- Oasis

in RB4 the most. Pretty much in that order. I wasn't a fan of Bored to Death or that album.. i'd still buy it though because Blink has fun drums.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    I'm definitely the most hyped to see the return of Switchfoot to Rock Band

Oasis and Kings of Leon getting tracks we've waited forever for is pretty huge to me too, and I had never heard "Mother Mother" until the announcement and it's now one of my favorite songs from the setlist.

I would definitely say this is a super solid group of songs. I only lament that getting "Maps" instead of finally getting "Harder To Breathe" is a huge misfire in my eyes (though I like both songs, this seemed like THE place to finally get that track)
  • NavyCherubNavyCherub Unsigned

HMXOwl said:

tnevaker said:

tnevaker said:

tnevaker said:

uppyb0t said:

tnevaker said:

oh yeah, and as far as the DLC goes, i guess this means those six Aerosmith songs will be playable when "VR Mode" comes out as a new play mode in the next RB4 paid expansion.

What do you mean? We have those for RB4 or you mean the VR versions of the songs?

i mean the VR "chord lane" charts which would be necessary for any songs to be playable in VR mode, since VR mode is basically like freestyle mode expanded to entire chord-based sections of the song. so when that freestyle chord play mode comes to RB4, only songs that already are charted for that play style will be playable in that mode. the entire library won't be available in that mode because they don't have the necessary charts. presumably any songs released as RBVR DLC could also be made available for that same play mode in RB4 when it's added, possibly as a DLC upgrade to those tracks (kind of like the pro guitar upgrades were handled on RB3)
    It's basically Endless Solo Mode which already exists in Rock Band 4. All songs post-RB4 are already fully charted with this, and all pre-RB4 songs with solos have this charting as well.

Rock Band VR is essentially Endless Solo Mode, but with a FRICKTON more control over your sound. Different chord shapes actually mean different things now, and the zero-lag setup of VR means it works much better.

It's a really hard experience to describe, but I would liken it to a scored Endless Solo Mode on crack. It's really, really fun.
    it's different enough that they had to make new charts for the entire song. even the songs with freestyle guitar only have the solos charted. i don't play guitar so i don't know exactly how endless freestyle mode works, but as far as i know it's not charted, it just allows you to play randomly over top any song, even ones without freestyle solos. so this new mode would still require songs with full song-length charts, and so far the only songs we know to have those charts are the 60 VR songs and the 6 Aerosmith DLC songs.

i suppose they could just cheap out and use existing freestyle mode with some kind of scoring system overlaid on top of it, but how would you even score such a random mode without some underlying chart to compare to? seems pointless to add scoring to endless freestyle mode as a dumbed down version of this new play style being used in the VR game. if they're going to bring it over, i would think they'd bring it over with the full chart-based scoring system intact.
    Freestyle is actually charted in Rock Band 4! It's essentially a chart of the song's chord progression and key information. All songs with any form of freestyle in Rock Band 4 have the entire song's chord progression charted because vocal freestyle also requires this to work (that information is not just for guitar solos and vocal freestyle- it also improves the hand animations for strings-based characters). It's not just for the solos.

Endless Solo Mode allows you to play freestyle over any track that has those chord progressions charted. You should try it out one day- it's nifty!

Rock Band VR seems like it uses that same underlying chord progression tech and kicks it into high gear by adding a scoring system, new ways to play with different chord patterns, and improving the guitar sounds themselves. It feels kinda(?) like Rock Band 4's freestyle, but at the same time there's a hell of a lot more depth to it.

We had Pro Guitar, Pro Drums, and Pro Keys... well, VR's gameplay is essentially Pro Freestyle mode. Same base idea and tech, but MUCH deeper.

Either way, moot point, I'd say there's about a 0% chance of VR's freestyle mode coming to the main game. They're two totally different experiences- VR's makes sense in VR, and RB4's makes sense in RB4.
    well, if they really are able to use existing freestyle charts
    We aren't. VR's charting method won't come to Rivals. Figured I'd just...throw that in here since it's getting meaty.
    I don't care what you think, as long as the songs make it in.
    The best of us can find happiness in EXCLUSIVITY
    We could use more Folie à Deux songs in Rock Band.
  • HMXOwl said:

tnevaker said:

tnevaker said:

tnevaker said:

uppyb0t said:

tnevaker said:

oh yeah, and as far as the DLC goes, i guess this means those six Aerosmith songs will be playable when "VR Mode" comes out as a new play mode in the next RB4 paid expansion.

What do you mean? We have those for RB4 or you mean the VR versions of the songs?

i mean the VR "chord lane" charts which would be necessary for any songs to be playable in VR mode, since VR mode is basically like freestyle mode expanded to entire chord-based sections of the song. so when that freestyle chord play mode comes to RB4, only songs that already are charted for that play style will be playable in that mode. the entire library won't be available in that mode because they don't have the necessary charts. presumably any songs released as RBVR DLC could also be made available for that same play mode in RB4 when it's added, possibly as a DLC upgrade to those tracks (kind of like the pro guitar upgrades were handled on RB3)
    It's basically Endless Solo Mode which already exists in Rock Band 4. All songs post-RB4 are already fully charted with this, and all pre-RB4 songs with solos have this charting as well.

Rock Band VR is essentially Endless Solo Mode, but with a FRICKTON more control over your sound. Different chord shapes actually mean different things now, and the zero-lag setup of VR means it works much better.

It's a really hard experience to describe, but I would liken it to a scored Endless Solo Mode on crack. It's really, really fun.
    it's different enough that they had to make new charts for the entire song. even the songs with freestyle guitar only have the solos charted. i don't play guitar so i don't know exactly how endless freestyle mode works, but as far as i know it's not charted, it just allows you to play randomly over top any song, even ones without freestyle solos. so this new mode would still require songs with full song-length charts, and so far the only songs we know to have those charts are the 60 VR songs and the 6 Aerosmith DLC songs.

i suppose they could just cheap out and use existing freestyle mode with some kind of scoring system overlaid on top of it, but how would you even score such a random mode without some underlying chart to compare to? seems pointless to add scoring to endless freestyle mode as a dumbed down version of this new play style being used in the VR game. if they're going to bring it over, i would think they'd bring it over with the full chart-based scoring system intact.
    Freestyle is actually charted in Rock Band 4! It's essentially a chart of the song's chord progression and key information. All songs with any form of freestyle in Rock Band 4 have the entire song's chord progression charted because vocal freestyle also requires this to work (that information is not just for guitar solos and vocal freestyle- it also improves the hand animations for strings-based characters). It's not just for the solos.

Endless Solo Mode allows you to play freestyle over any track that has those chord progressions charted. You should try it out one day- it's nifty!

Rock Band VR seems like it uses that same underlying chord progression tech and kicks it into high gear by adding a scoring system, new ways to play with different chord patterns, and improving the guitar sounds themselves. It feels kinda(?) like Rock Band 4's freestyle, but at the same time there's a hell of a lot more depth to it.

We had Pro Guitar, Pro Drums, and Pro Keys... well, VR's gameplay is essentially Pro Freestyle mode. Same base idea and tech, but MUCH deeper.

Either way, moot point, I'd say there's about a 0% chance of VR's freestyle mode coming to the main game. They're two totally different experiences- VR's makes sense in VR, and RB4's makes sense in RB4.
    We aren't. VR's charting method won't come to Rivals. Figured I'd just...throw that in here since it's getting meaty.
    What about the idea that @Delibird444 was referring to - that HMX has really nailed the solo tech this time around? If rocking a solo in RBVR is indeed an updated version of what we have in RB4 - any chance we get that in a RB4 patch? Afterall - the freestyle solos are the main selling point of RB4 over RB3 in the first place..
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited March 18

HMXOwl said:

tnevaker said:

tnevaker said:

tnevaker said:

uppyb0t said:

tnevaker said:

What about the idea that @Delibird444 was referring to - that HMX has really nailed the solo tech this time around? If rocking a solo in RBVR is indeed an updated version of what we have in RB4 - any chance we get that in a RB4 patch? Afterall - the freestyle solos are the main selling point of RB4 over RB3 in the first place..
    I'd say "were", not "are". While it was heavily promoted pre-launch, freestyle solos and stage presence are rather buried compared to how they were in October 2015. When you started up RB4 back in October 2015, you had freestyle solos on by default and were greeted with an ingame message to go to the freestyle solos tutorial. Also, shows mode had stage presence. As time moved on, feedback from the community led to freestyle solos being demoted to "a cool on the side feature" status and stage presence only being in tour mode in favour of the traditional leaderboard system we know and love from past games.

My guess for the main selling points of base RB4 are the soundtrack, for the most part new DLC every week and the ability to play your old songs from last gen. As for Rivals, all of the modes support the idea of the more songs you have the better the experience will be and it's super cool that every few months we seem to get a bunch of free new songs.
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star

HMXOwl said:

tnevaker said:

tnevaker said:

tnevaker said:

uppyb0t said:

tnevaker said:

You misspelled Take This To Your Grave.

Grand Theft Autumn when?
  • Dead on Arrival (Rewind)
    Grand Theft Autumn/Where is Your Boy?
    America's Suitehearts

I'd be perfectly fine with that pack and it would also be good for those who didn't export RB1 but I know not to get my hopes up as 10s FOB is bigger than 00s FOB.
  • TheRainbowTroutsTheRainbowTrouts Opening Act
    edited March 18
    Is the team working on this game from the UK, or Europe? The setlist picks feel like a Lego Rock Band type setlist.
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star

I too wonder if any improvements to the base freestyle sounds can be applied to RB4. I guess it depends on how the BIAS tech was initially implemented.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited March 19
    I was just thinking, if Bored to Death comes to RB4 this may be only the 2nd time we have songs by a band during 2 different main vocalist eras (pre-California had Tom DeLonge meanwhile the California album had Matt Skiba).

The first being in 2012 when we got a Paul Di'Anno era Iron Maiden song, Phantom of the Opera meanwhile all other 18 songs were either Bruce Dickinson era or a live version with Bruce Dickinson as Iron Maiden's main vocalist.

I was just thinking, if Bored to Death comes to RB4 this may be only the 2nd time we have songs by a band during 2 different main vocalist eras (pre-California had Tom DeLonge meanwhile the California album had Matt Skiba).

The first being in 2012 when we got a Paul Di'Anno era Iron Maiden song, Phantom of the Opera meanwhile all other 18 songs were either Bruce Dickinson era or a live version with Bruce Dickinson as Iron Maiden's main vocalist.

That can't be that rare. Just off the top of my head, we got 18 Brian Johnson AC/DC songs to follow our Bon Scott one in 2008, long before 2012.
  • I was just thinking, if Bored to Death comes to RB4 this may be only the 2nd time we have songs by a band during 2 different main vocalist eras (pre-California had Tom DeLonge meanwhile the California album had Matt Skiba).

That can't be that rare. Just off the top of my head, we got 18 Brian Johnson AC/DC songs to follow our Bon Scott one in 2008, long before 2012.
    Good point, Alice in Chains also fits. I do think it's rather rare though.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited March 19

LOL NOPE. Rock Band 1 had "Epic" by Faith No More, and we also got "We Care A Lot" as DLC less than 3 months later. Both of them have different lead singers.

AC/DC's a special example though given A) Bon Scott died, B) the AC/DC Live tracks were recorded like a decade later, and C) the studio "Let There Be Rock" never exported.

The only comparison that I think would be apt would be if we got new live versions from Journey with the new lead singer (and even then, Steve Perry's not dead)
  • NavyCherubNavyCherub Unsigned
    Arcanon said:

HMXOwl said:

tnevaker said:

tnevaker said:

tnevaker said:

uppyb0t said:

tnevaker said:

You misspelled Take This To Your Grave.

Grand Theft Autumn when?
    Unfortunately, that is just wishful thinking.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    It is rarer, but it's also pretty rare for a band to change their singer and then replace the singer without either becoming an entirely new band or one that fans agree on. So a lot of times bands sputter out after switching singers.

• BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    Witticus said:

It is rarer, but it's also pretty rare for a band to change their singer and then replace the singer without either becoming an entirely new band or one that fans agree on. So a lot of times bands sputter out after switching singers.

Or drummers. Nobody wants to go,see their favorite band if it's not the original drummer. ...right?
    BachiG said:

Witticus said:

Or drummers. Nobody wants to go,see their favorite band if it's not the original drummer. ...right?
    I don't have much drive to see The Who without Keith.
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Opening Act
    BachiG said:

Witticus said:

Black Sabbath seemed to do fine on their latest tour.
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    BachiG said:

Witticus said:

In most cases, yes, but I thought Yellowcard did an okay job of replacing their original drummer. However, would be outraged if a band replaced the most important members: the theremin player and the oboist.
  • So here's what I'd want in RB4 from RBRV.. It's pretty much the most obvious ones.. I really believe we will get almost all of these eventually in RB4 - I'd be pretty surprised if I'm wrong about that..

Gold on the ceiling - I like their hits.. This is a hit.. I'd buy it.

Bored to death - Not a huge Blink fan, but I like some of their stuff, and I really like this song - one of their best as far as I'm concerned.

You & Me - Kind of a fun, newer song.

Use somebody - You couldn't escape this song a few years back.. It is pretty good.. That whole album was.

Maps - Girlfriend likes it.

I will wait - Do we already have this as DLC? I was surprised how much I didn't mind The Wolf when I was playing it during tour mode the other day.. This is decent.

Champagne supernova - A glaring omission from RB4.. Instabuy.

Counting stars - I don't love it.. The kids probably do.

Ain't it fun - One of the few songs that were constantly on the radio that I never got sick of - love it!

Heaven knows - A little slow.. I like some of their stuff (Going To Hell would be great), but this'll do.

Freewill - I'm on record as saying I can't stand Rush (mostly due to their lead singer's grating voice and insufferably pretentious lyrics), BUT - I'd buy it cuz it's classic rock, and I can do the singing myself with my angelic voice, and I can change the lyrics in freestyle vocals mode ;)

Float - Rainy day song - I'd more than likely buy it eventually.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    Witticus said:

It disturbs me to know how rare this is in reality while knowing how common it is among the bands I loved in my formative years (many of which I still like today). Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Anthrax, Marillion, Faith No More, Genesis, Guns n Roses, Styx, King Crimson, Van Halen, AC/DC, Yes, Queensryche...
  • @thatmarkguy At least AC/DC and VH had two very strong eras with both singers - that's pretty rare.. I can't speak too much about the other bands
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior

Witticus said:

It disturbs me to know how rare this is in reality while knowing how common it is among the bands I loved in my formative years (many of which I still like today). Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Anthrax, Marillion, Faith No More, Genesis, Guns n Roses, Styx, King Crimson, Van Halen, AC/DC, Yes, Queensryche...
    When did GNR change singers?
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited March 19

, Marillion,

Post Fish Marillion.. good stuff, but it just doesn't work as well for me. I'm sort of the same with with non Tommy Shaw Styx or non Dickenson Maiden. Those guys really defined the band's sound.

Although I think I'm one of the 5 people that actually liked Gary Cherone Van Halen

• , Marillion,

Post Fish Marillion.. good stuff, but it just doesn't work as well for me. I'm sort of the same with with non Tommy Shaw Styx or non Dickenson Maiden. Those guys really defined the band's sound.

Although I think I'm one of the 5 people that actually liked Gary Cherone Van Halen
    I never gave that Cherone VH album much of a listen, maybe I will give it a go sometime..

I actually liked the John Corabi Mötley Crüe album, so I guess it deserves a fair shot.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited March 19
    hiimSMAP said:

Witticus said:

When did GNR change singers?
    Oops, brain fart. I musta been thinking of Motley Crüe or something. A different long-straight-blond-haired LA narcissist from the 80s.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    I've been putting off listening to this setlist, so now I'm just gonna listen to it and react to it. I'll right my reactions to each and every song, though for the export/past DLC stuff I probably won't need to re-listen to those again to form an opinion, so I'll mostly be listening to the new stuff.

Aerosmith - Walk This Way - This probably wouldn't have been my pick for an on-disc Aerosmith song, but it is fun on guitar, so I get it. I think think I would have picked something else, perhaps "Sweet Emotion," but that's just subjective taste. Objectively, this is a pretty big song with an iconic guitar line, so it makes sense.

Against the Current - Running with the Wild Things - I mostly like this one; I've got a weak spot for woman-lead, punky pop like this. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the "oohs" in the main riff; I've noticed these kinds of "oohs" in a lot of modern music, and I just personally don't like it. That said, otherwise it's a fun song that's reminiscent of early Paramore.

Alice In Chains - Man in the Box - This song was really fun on guitar in RB2 (at least for an easier song), so it should work well here as well. It's also a rather good song, heavy enough to get one going, but also catchy and fun to listen to.

Arctic Horror - Black Seas - I've already listened and posted about this song, and I stand by what I said. I imagine people who aren't into this kind of metal are gonna hate it, much like they did the likes of Visions, Dead Black, and even Red Lottery back in the early GH days. However, I like it a lot, just like I like those songs. (Also note it's not quite as heavy as Visions or black metal-influenced as Dead Black, it does remind me of Red Lottery a lot, though)

AudioDamn! - Lights Out - These vocals just don't do it for me; I'm just not a fan of these sorts of indie vocals, and the fact that I can sense an Adam Lavigne influence isn't helping any. That said, the rest of the instrumentation is pretty good and catchy. The vocals kind of drag it down for me, so I'm left with a "meh."

Avenged Sevenfold - Beast and the Harlot - I'm glad they went with an older Avenged Sevenfold song for this, and this is a good choice. It was great on GH2, it was fun on RB3 (even if I've learned over the years that the chart isn't all that great), so I imagine it'll be fun here, too.

Band of Horses - Casual Party - Band of Horses isn't my thing, sadly. I realize there's some hype here over this band, but this just isn't my thing. I'm not a fan of the vocals, or the production; something feels sort of "empty" here for me. Still, cool for fans of this band!

Basement - Promise Everything - I dig this. I like the slight punk/emo influence, and this is the sort of indie production I actually like; sort of old-sounding, but still having enough energy to it to get one going. I hope this one comes over to RB4.

The Black Cheers - (You're) Breakin' Up - Punk in my Rock Band game? What is this, RB2? :p In all seriousness, though, this is pretty cool, has a 90's skate-punk sort of feel to it that I rather enjoy. Let's hope this makes it over to RB4.

The Black Keys - Gold On the Ceiling - I'm surprised we don't have this in the main series already. It's the band's biggest song, as far as I know, and we already have a lot of other Black Keys songs. That said... this song isn't my kind of thing. I just find The Black Keys boring in general, and this song isn't any different. I like poppy things, but it's just something about the mix of poppy songwriting and intentionally-lo-fi production that sort of just brings me out of it. Still, this is a big get for the series, and I really do hope it makes it over to RB4, because it's a big song and it'd suck to see fans of it be left out in the cold.

Blink-182 - Bored to Death - I've never really been that big into Blink-182, especially their more modern, alt-rock-influenced sound. That said, this song is pretty alright, the chorus sounds pretty cool and the drums are pretty tight. I really hope this makes it to RB4, because the drums sound like they'd be really challenging.

Blondfire - True Confessions - This song is okay, nothing that I'd listen to on my free time or anything, though. It'd probably be fun in RB4, though the song itself is sort of forgettable. It's got some nice medleys, but they do sound like a lot of other pop-rock songs I've heard. I do like the echoey, spacey atmosphere, though.

Blondie - One Way or Another - Not really a song I'd have picked for a guitar-only game, but it's a very well-known song, and it's still pretty catchy. So on that regard, this is a good inclusion.

Bon Jovi - Livin' On a Prayer - I used to really like this sort of cheesy glam-rock ballad stuff. Now I've kind of grown out of it, and find stuff like this rather dull to listen to. That said, it's a great get, since it's got iconic guitar lines, and was rather fun in RB2.

Carrie Underwood - Church Bells - My taste in country is very limited, leaning more towards stuff like Johnny Cash and the more rock-influenced stuff from the 90's and early-mid 2000's. That said, this should be fun on guitar, and I do sort of like it; probably won't go out of my way to buy it if it comes to RB4, but it's alright.

Catfish and the Bottlemen - Postpone - This song's pretty good, actually. I wasn't really sold on this band with the song that was RB4 DLC, but this song is pretty alright. It's catchy, and at the same time has just enough of a pop-punk influence to add some energy. This is the sort of high-energy indie stuff I actually like.

Coldplay - Birds - I can't help but feel this is an odd pick for a Coldplay song, especially for a guitar-centric game, given how especially on this same album there are songs with more guitar leads in them. Not really my favorite off this album, sadly.

David Bowie - Suffragate City - This song's pretty alright; probably not my first Bowie choice, but it's a classic from RB1, so not complaining. On the one hand, I'm thinking getting one of Bowie's big hits we don't have yet, such as "Starman," would be cool. On the other hand, I'd rather have that on RB4, so fair enought :p

Disturbed - Down With the Sickness - MEMES! *ahem* Anyways, not at all surprised to see this one here again. I'd personally would have gone for either Inside the Fire or Indestructible, but this one is their biggest song, so it makes more sense from an objective standpoint.

DragonForce - Through the Fire and Flames - Kinda figured we'd get this song when they showed the Rock Band VR trailer with DragonForce (and also shoulda saw it being this one when they did the re-charts for this and OGAP). That said, we've seen this song a billion times already, and would have seen a song not in Rock Band already, such as Heroes of Our Time or The Game. Here's hoping we get more DragonForce as RB4 DLC.

Dream Theater - Pull Me Under - Kinda surprised it took us this long to get Dream Theater's biggest song, though honestly we already have "On the Backs of Angels," which is almost the same song :p I liked this song in Guitar Hero: World Tour, and do hope to see it as RB4 DLC, though.