RockBandAide's PAX East 2017 interview with Harmonix (RB4, entitlements, RBVR, DropMix and more!)

13

Comments

  • KidSleez said:

    Ah, I didn't know masters weren't needed for RS. I thought maybe they found some live versions somewhere. Is RS worth picking up for someone who can't play guitar? How likely is it that I'd be able to learn from it?

    Obligatory there are live Skid Row masters post.
  • blockquote class="Quote" rel="aimsmallmismall">.
    KidSleez said:

    Rocksmith in 2017 has been pretty varied for quantity, 3 - 6 a week:
    1/3 - U2 (5 songs)
    1/10 - 60s (3 songs)
    1/17 - blink-182 (5 songs)
    1/24 - Variety (4 songs)
    1/31 - Evanescence (3 songs)
    2/7 - 80s (3 songs)
    2/14 - Coldplay (6 songs)
    2/21 - Variety (4 songs)
    2/28 - Beastie Boys (3 songs)
    3/7 - Avril Lavigne (5 songs)
    3/14 - 90s (3 songs)
    3/21 - Skid Row (5 songs)

    HOLD ON A MINUTE...Rocksmith is getting Skid Row? And they recently got Far Behind?
    Well I think we all know the issue with Skid Row for RB, whereas that's not a problem for Rocksmith.. But Far Behind (among other Candlebox gems) is more than likely a possibility for RB, as they re-recorded it a few years back and released it on the back end of Love Stories And Other Musings.

    So MAKE IT HAPPEN HARMONIX!!! I'm still surprised we've never gotten Far Behind in RB at some point. Still hopeful for it. It's one of my personal top requests.

    How did the re-record sound?
  • tdc002 said:

    KidSleez said:

    Ah, I didn't know masters weren't needed for RS. I thought maybe they found some live versions somewhere. Is RS worth picking up for someone who can't play guitar? How likely is it that I'd be able to learn from it?

    It's less of a game than it is a guitar teaching software that just happens to be on video game consoles (and PC and Mac). If you genuinely want to learn guitar and are going to take the time to do it, it's a good teaching tool. But it's not really a fun game.
    Yeah, I understand it's not really a "game". Just wondering how useful it is to get somebody into playing guitar who otherwise has no real knowledge about guitars.
  • I personally stopped playing because audio delay made it impossible to play with.


    Then I learned about a month or so ago that they've had a calibration guide around since forever so I should probably do that.

    I read about an audio delay in reference to XB1, but I think that was old info. Curious to see if what you mentioned fixes that issue.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited March 20
    Wildcat15 said:

    KidSleez said:

    Ah, I didn't know masters weren't needed for RS. I thought maybe they found some live versions somewhere. Is RS worth picking up for someone who can't play guitar? How likely is it that I'd be able to learn from it?

    Obligatory there are live Skid Row masters post.
    I think he's referring to video tapes from the home video. Look at the tapes. Those are VHS and Mini-DV. Not audio recordings. But there is a possibility the audio recording maybe just weren't photographed.

    And even if there are masters, it would presumably only be these songs:

    "Big Guns"
    "Piece of Me"
    "Here I Am"
    "Midnight/Tornado"
    "Mudkicker"
    "Get the **** Out"
    "18 and Life"
    "Monkey Business"
    "Slave to the Grind"
    "Psycho Love" (Video in 3-D)
    "Psycho Therapy"
    "C'mon And Love Me"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_Kill_(video)

    Not exactly Skid Row's biggest hits, outside of 18 and Life.
  • KidSleez said:

    blockquote class="Quote" rel="aimsmallmismall">.

    KidSleez said:

    Rocksmith in 2017 has been pretty varied for quantity, 3 - 6 a week:
    1/3 - U2 (5 songs)
    1/10 - 60s (3 songs)
    1/17 - blink-182 (5 songs)
    1/24 - Variety (4 songs)
    1/31 - Evanescence (3 songs)
    2/7 - 80s (3 songs)
    2/14 - Coldplay (6 songs)
    2/21 - Variety (4 songs)
    2/28 - Beastie Boys (3 songs)
    3/7 - Avril Lavigne (5 songs)
    3/14 - 90s (3 songs)
    3/21 - Skid Row (5 songs)

    HOLD ON A MINUTE...Rocksmith is getting Skid Row? And they recently got Far Behind?
    Well I think we all know the issue with Skid Row for RB, whereas that's not a problem for Rocksmith.. But Far Behind (among other Candlebox gems) is more than likely a possibility for RB, as they re-recorded it a few years back and released it on the back end of Love Stories And Other Musings.

    So MAKE IT HAPPEN HARMONIX!!!
    I'm still surprised we've never gotten Far Behind in RB at some point. Still hopeful for it. It's one of my personal top requests.

    How did the re-record sound? Scroll to the 36:50 point.. I think it sounds good.. Vocals are slightly different, but not bad.. The guitar work is still great.

    https://youtu.be/apic7lls8X8
  • aimsmallmismallaimsmallmismall Unsigned
    edited March 21
    tdc002 said:

    Wildcat15 said:

    KidSleez said:

    Ah, I didn't know masters weren't needed for RS. I thought maybe they found some live versions somewhere. Is RS worth picking up for someone who can't play guitar? How likely is it that I'd be able to learn from it?

    Obligatory there are live Skid Row masters post.
    I think he's referring to video tapes from the home video. Look at the tapes. Those are VHS and Mini-DV. Not audio recordings. But there is a possibility the audio recording maybe just weren't photographed.

    And even if there are masters, it would presumably only be these songs:

    "Big Guns"
    "Piece of Me"
    "Here I Am"
    "Midnight/Tornado"
    "Mudkicker"
    "Get the **** Out"
    "18 and Life"
    "Monkey Business"
    "Slave to the Grind"
    "Psycho Love" (Video in 3-D)
    "Psycho Therapy"
    "C'mon And Love Me"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_Kill_(video)

    Not exactly Skid Row's biggest hits, outside of 18 and Life.
    Monkey Business was the lead single off their #1 album Slave To The Grind, which was their sophomore release.. Not sure how well that song itself charted, but it's amazing.

    And I always thought Big Guns, the opening song off the debut album, was awesome and could've been a single.
  • 'SKID ROW Roadkill elements' make it sound like those are separated recordings for a remaster (I don't know too much about remasters but I guess you need at least something to be separated, and these days that's good enough to work with). 18 and Life, Slave to the Grind and Monkey Business are already a three pack that is included in the Rocksmith songs.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited March 21
    Well the popular Skid Row 3 pack would be:
    Youth Gone Wild
    18 and Life
    I Remember You

    Rocksmith's 5 pack has those 3 and these 2:
    Monkey Business
    Slave to the Grind

    As for Far Behind, it feels like HMX has kind of taken a break from new 90s DLC, this year so far has had:
    Megadeth - "Trust"
    Cake - "I Will Survive"

    I'd imagine the next new 90s DLC we get are Champagne Supernova, Pull Me Under and Mother Mother.
  • KidSleez said:

    I personally stopped playing because audio delay made it impossible to play with.


    Then I learned about a month or so ago that they've had a calibration guide around since forever so I should probably do that.

    I read about an audio delay in reference to XB1, but I think that was old info. Curious to see if what you mentioned fixes that issue.
    I have not had an audio lag problem playing Rocksmith guitar. I use an optical cable.

    And the keys to learning guitar are the possession of self motivation, self discipline and persistence.

    Lack of inherent talent can be overcome by practice.
  • Well the popular Skid Row 3 pack would be:
    Youth Gone Wild
    18 and Life
    I Remember You

    Rocksmith's 5 pack has those 3 and these 2:
    Monkey Business
    Slave to the Grind

    As for Far Behind, it feels like HMX has kind of taken a break from new 90s DLC, this year so far has had:
    Megadeth - "Trust"
    Cake - "I Will Survive"

    I'd imagine the next new 90s DLC we get are Champagne Supernova, Pull Me Under and Mother Mother.

    Well, around this time last year we got a 90s three-pack from the Cranberries.. Seems like a good time for a CANDLEBOX three-pack!

    Far Behind
    You
    Simple Lessons
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    Sign me up for any and all Candlebox... and most anything SkidRow (for @daxx1970).
  • KidSleez said:

    blockquote class="Quote" rel="aimsmallmismall">.

    KidSleez said:

    Rocksmith in 2017 has been pretty varied for quantity, 3 - 6 a week:
    1/3 - U2 (5 songs)
    1/10 - 60s (3 songs)
    1/17 - blink-182 (5 songs)
    1/24 - Variety (4 songs)
    1/31 - Evanescence (3 songs)
    2/7 - 80s (3 songs)
    2/14 - Coldplay (6 songs)
    2/21 - Variety (4 songs)
    2/28 - Beastie Boys (3 songs)
    3/7 - Avril Lavigne (5 songs)
    3/14 - 90s (3 songs)
    3/21 - Skid Row (5 songs)

    HOLD ON A MINUTE...Rocksmith is getting Skid Row? And they recently got Far Behind?
    Well I think we all know the issue with Skid Row for RB, whereas that's not a problem for Rocksmith.. But Far Behind (among other Candlebox gems) is more than likely a possibility for RB, as they re-recorded it a few years back and released it on the back end of Love Stories And Other Musings.

    So MAKE IT HAPPEN HARMONIX!!!
    I'm still surprised we've never gotten Far Behind in RB at some point. Still hopeful for it. It's one of my personal top requests.

    How did the re-record sound?
    Scroll to the 36:50 point.. I think it sounds good.. Vocals are slightly different, but not bad.. The guitar work is still great.

    https://youtu.be/apic7lls8X8 Wow, re-record sounds great! The music sounds virtually identical to the original and while the vocals aren't, it's very close and still faithful to the OG.

    But having listened, now I'm sad because I want the song even more. :(
  • tdc002 said:

    Wildcat15 said:

    KidSleez said:

    Ah, I didn't know masters weren't needed for RS. I thought maybe they found some live versions somewhere. Is RS worth picking up for someone who can't play guitar? How likely is it that I'd be able to learn from it?

    Obligatory there are live Skid Row masters post.
    I think he's referring to video tapes from the home video. Look at the tapes. Those are VHS and Mini-DV. Not audio recordings. But there is a possibility the audio recording maybe just weren't photographed.

    And even if there are masters, it would presumably only be these songs:

    "Big Guns"
    "Piece of Me"
    "Here I Am"
    "Midnight/Tornado"
    "Mudkicker"
    "Get the **** Out"
    "18 and Life"
    "Monkey Business"
    "Slave to the Grind"
    "Psycho Love" (Video in 3-D)
    "Psycho Therapy"
    "C'mon And Love Me"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_Kill_(video)

    Not exactly Skid Row's biggest hits, outside of 18 and Life.
    Monkey Business was the lead single off their #1 album Slave To The Grind, which was their sophomore release.. Not sure how well that song itself charted, but it's amazing.

    And I always thought Big Guns, the opening song off the debut album, was awesome and could've been a single.
    Yeah, it would suck to have no Youth Gone Wild, but I would pretty much take anything Skid Row. Big Guns, Piece of Me, Monkey Business, Slave to the Grind...I could go on and on. Would love Breakin' Down (Remix) for vocals.

    I just saw that there's a re-record of 18 and Life that was done in 2015 with then-singer Tony Harnell. It doesn't sound too bad (music is virtually identical to the original), but it'd probably be nearly impossible to get that version.
  • edited March 21

    KidSleez said:

    I personally stopped playing because audio delay made it impossible to play with.


    Then I learned about a month or so ago that they've had a calibration guide around since forever so I should probably do that.

    I read about an audio delay in reference to XB1, but I think that was old info. Curious to see if what you mentioned fixes that issue.
    I have not had an audio lag problem playing Rocksmith guitar. I use an optical cable.

    And the keys to learning guitar are the possession of self motivation, self discipline and persistence.

    Lack of inherent talent can be overcome by practice.
    So question to you or anyone else...what would be a decent, inexpensive guitar to try to use with RS to learn?

    EDIT: Also, the game + cable is currently $38 on Amazon. From a quick search, it seems that's a pretty good price. Can anyone confirm?
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    tdc002 said:

    KidSleez said:

    Rocksmith in 2017 has been pretty varied for quantity, 3 - 6 a week:
    1/3 - U2 (5 songs)
    1/10 - 60s (3 songs)
    1/17 - blink-182 (5 songs)
    1/24 - Variety (4 songs)
    1/31 - Evanescence (3 songs)
    2/7 - 80s (3 songs)
    2/14 - Coldplay (6 songs)
    2/21 - Variety (4 songs)
    2/28 - Beastie Boys (3 songs)
    3/7 - Avril Lavigne (5 songs)
    3/14 - 90s (3 songs)
    3/21 - Skid Row (5 songs)

    HOLD ON A MINUTE...Rocksmith is getting Skid Row? And they recently got Far Behind?
    Rocksmith doesn't need masters. You're essentially just playing guitar tabs along to a recording of the song. That's why they have Skid Row and we don't.
    TheMurals said:

    They don't have to use masters at all, not even a final mix master. (I.e. Why we'll never get Skid Row: their masters are literally obliterated thanks to a hurricane, Sandy iirc)

    well, i can see i've got my work cut out for me here.

    Rock Band no longer needs masters. they don't need multitrack masters now that HMX is ok with non-separated stems on songs. they don't need final mix masters. they don't need any other of the various forms of recordings that get labelled as "masters" during the recording process. all they need now are whatever version of a recording the artist or label deems to be of acceptable quality to send them. that's up to the licensee: it could be a master recording, or it could be a rip off of a CD. it's completely up to them. basically, it's the same thing RS needs, so any artist or song that is released in RS could also conceivably be released on RB.

    the backlash against stemless songs might make HMX more reluctant to offer a lot of these songs, but if enough people ask for or request them, they're still possible. just look at Hold the Line, or Danger Zone from just last week. Danger Zone had the same "lack of masters" issue that prevented it becoming DLC back in the RB3 era, but now that HMX no longer requires masters, that song is finally available in RB4.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    tnevaker said:

    tdc002 said:

    KidSleez said:

    Rocksmith in 2017 has been pretty varied for quantity, 3 - 6 a week:
    1/3 - U2 (5 songs)
    1/10 - 60s (3 songs)
    1/17 - blink-182 (5 songs)
    1/24 - Variety (4 songs)
    1/31 - Evanescence (3 songs)
    2/7 - 80s (3 songs)
    2/14 - Coldplay (6 songs)
    2/21 - Variety (4 songs)
    2/28 - Beastie Boys (3 songs)
    3/7 - Avril Lavigne (5 songs)
    3/14 - 90s (3 songs)
    3/21 - Skid Row (5 songs)

    HOLD ON A MINUTE...Rocksmith is getting Skid Row? And they recently got Far Behind?
    Rocksmith doesn't need masters. You're essentially just playing guitar tabs along to a recording of the song. That's why they have Skid Row and we don't.
    TheMurals said:

    They don't have to use masters at all, not even a final mix master. (I.e. Why we'll never get Skid Row: their masters are literally obliterated thanks to a hurricane, Sandy iirc)

    well, i can see i've got my work cut out for me here.

    Rock Band no longer needs masters. they don't need multitrack masters now that HMX is ok with non-separated stems on songs. they don't need final mix masters. they don't need any other of the various forms of recordings that get labelled as "masters" during the recording process. all they need now are whatever version of a recording the artist or label deems to be of acceptable quality to send them. that's up to the licensee: it could be a master recording, or it could be a rip off of a CD. it's completely up to them. basically, it's the same thing RS needs, so any artist or song that is released in RS could also conceivably be released on RB.

    the backlash against stemless songs might make HMX more reluctant to offer a lot of these songs, but if enough people ask for or request them, they're still possible. just look at Hold the Line, or Danger Zone from just last week. Danger Zone had the same "lack of masters" issue that prevented it becoming DLC back in the RB3 era, but now that HMX no longer requires masters, that song is finally available in RB4.
    Rock Band does need masters. They're not charting these songs "ripped off a CD." They've just loosened their requirements of what are acceptable master recordings. They no longer need near pristine, perfect masters. With Black Betty, IIRC, the stems for both guitar parts (rhythm and lead) are together, maybe even bass? (idk, I've only played the song twice).

    Plus, like I've posted a million times, there are tons of songs in the back catalog without perfect masters. This is nothing new with RB4 DLC.

    Did they ever say Hold the Line didn't have proper masters? I didn't buy the song, so idk if it does or not. I just figured they were hesitant to license a Toto 3 pack originally because...well, it's Toto.
  • @KidSleez If you do decide to get into Rocksmith, I'd recommend picking up both games (Rocksmith and Rocksmith 2014) so you can export the first game into 2014. But after the export, only use 2014.
  • HMXCrisis said:

    This went from pineapple on pizza to Skid Row...I love you guys.

    Yes, I like pineapple on my pizza. Let me be clear that it's only when eating hawaiian pizza, and let me be DOUBLE clear that as a true born-and-raised New Yorker, I only settle for hawaiian when I can't get the unbelievably amazing quality NY pizza I grew up with. You don't put toppings on NY pizza, that sh*t is so good by itself.


    So, how 'bout that interview, yea?

    *Insert Yankees Suck joke here*

    Yeah, that Craig guy is pretty cool! He should go to more junkets and become the Nardwuar of the Rock Band world :p
  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior

    HMXCrisis said:

    This went from pineapple on pizza to Skid Row...I love you guys.

    Yes, I like pineapple on my pizza. Let me be clear that it's only when eating hawaiian pizza, and let me be DOUBLE clear that as a true born-and-raised New Yorker, I only settle for hawaiian when I can't get the unbelievably amazing quality NY pizza I grew up with. You don't put toppings on NY pizza, that sh*t is so good by itself.


    So, how 'bout that interview, yea?

    *Insert Yankees Suck joke here*

    Yeah, that Craig guy is pretty cool! He should go to more junkets and become the Nardwuar of the Rock Band world :p
    Uuuuuuhhhhh what's a nardwuar?

    Also Thanks :)
  • Munnchy said:

    HMXCrisis said:

    This went from pineapple on pizza to Skid Row...I love you guys.

    Yes, I like pineapple on my pizza. Let me be clear that it's only when eating hawaiian pizza, and let me be DOUBLE clear that as a true born-and-raised New Yorker, I only settle for hawaiian when I can't get the unbelievably amazing quality NY pizza I grew up with. You don't put toppings on NY pizza, that sh*t is so good by itself.


    So, how 'bout that interview, yea?

    *Insert Yankees Suck joke here*

    Yeah, that Craig guy is pretty cool! He should go to more junkets and become the Nardwuar of the Rock Band world :p
    Uuuuuuhhhhh what's a nardwuar?

    Also Thanks :)
    THIS is a Nardwuar; trust me, it's high praise :)
  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior

    Munnchy said:

    HMXCrisis said:

    This went from pineapple on pizza to Skid Row...I love you guys.

    Yes, I like pineapple on my pizza. Let me be clear that it's only when eating hawaiian pizza, and let me be DOUBLE clear that as a true born-and-raised New Yorker, I only settle for hawaiian when I can't get the unbelievably amazing quality NY pizza I grew up with. You don't put toppings on NY pizza, that sh*t is so good by itself.


    So, how 'bout that interview, yea?

    *Insert Yankees Suck joke here*

    Yeah, that Craig guy is pretty cool! He should go to more junkets and become the Nardwuar of the Rock Band world :p
    Uuuuuuhhhhh what's a nardwuar?

    Also Thanks :)
    THIS is a Nardwuar; trust me, it's high praise :)
    <3
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    KidSleez said:

    KidSleez said:

    I personally stopped playing because audio delay made it impossible to play with.


    Then I learned about a month or so ago that they've had a calibration guide around since forever so I should probably do that.

    I read about an audio delay in reference to XB1, but I think that was old info. Curious to see if what you mentioned fixes that issue.
    I have not had an audio lag problem playing Rocksmith guitar. I use an optical cable.

    And the keys to learning guitar are the possession of self motivation, self discipline and persistence.

    Lack of inherent talent can be overcome by practice.
    So question to you or anyone else...what would be a decent, inexpensive guitar to try to use with RS to learn?

    EDIT: Also, the game + cable is currently $38 on Amazon. From a quick search, it seems that's a pretty good price. Can anyone confirm?
    $38 for the Cable+game is indeed a pretty good deal.

    As for guitar recommendations, you have to define your budget. To some people $79 is inexpensive, to others that have looked at real Gibsons then "under $500" might be inexpensive. There is no "right" answer.

    To me, a super cheap sub $100 guitar is just that: super cheap and sub-par. It will be difficult to play and difficult to tune, and it won't want to stay in tune. And you probably won't want to play it. Unless you score some kind of lucky amazing used guitar deal.

    I'd ask around first and see if you have any family or friends that have an electric guitar sitting around that's just gathering dust. Ask if you can borrow it for a couple of weeks or a couple of months. If it's a cheap POS then you can experience that and understand why you don't want to pay for something that cheap. (Money thrown away.) If it's nice, then you'll have a ball-park of what you'll want to spend.

    Your first guitar doesn't need to be a $1500 American Strat, but it also shouldn't be something that makes you *NOT* want to pick it up. I personally think today's sweet spot for "cheap" guitars is around $350: you can get some pretty amazing guitars for around that or a little less today, thanks to CNC wood machining. Epiphone Les Paul and SG pro models are really nice. There are some killer Fenders in the low-end too, but at about $1500 for a US made Strat I'm just saving my pennies for one of those and not even bothering to look at their lower end gear. $1500 is a lot, but in the world of classic American made models it's pretty cheap! Schecter and other lesser known guitar makers are also cranking out some awesome axes in Singapore and South Korea that sell in that price range, and you can't really go wrong with those. (I currently have 3 Schecters.)

    $350 is still a lot if you don't end up liking it and sticking with it. That's why I say ask around and see of you can borrow a currently unused one. Then you're only out $38 when you realize it's tough to do and you don't want to invest the time. And then if you are digging it and want to get a decent guitar, $350 isn't *too* traumatic of a sum to save up.
  • Munnchy said:

    Munnchy said:

    HMXCrisis said:

    This went from pineapple on pizza to Skid Row...I love you guys.

    Yes, I like pineapple on my pizza. Let me be clear that it's only when eating hawaiian pizza, and let me be DOUBLE clear that as a true born-and-raised New Yorker, I only settle for hawaiian when I can't get the unbelievably amazing quality NY pizza I grew up with. You don't put toppings on NY pizza, that sh*t is so good by itself.


    So, how 'bout that interview, yea?

    *Insert Yankees Suck joke here*

    Yeah, that Craig guy is pretty cool! He should go to more junkets and become the Nardwuar of the Rock Band world :p
    Uuuuuuhhhhh what's a nardwuar?

    Also Thanks :)
    THIS is a Nardwuar; trust me, it's high praise :)
    <3</p>
    Told ya B)
  • HMXCrisis said:

    This went from pineapple on pizza to Skid Row...I love you guys.

    Yes, I like pineapple on my pizza. Let me be clear that it's only when eating hawaiian pizza, and let me be DOUBLE clear that as a true born-and-raised New Yorker, I only settle for hawaiian when I can't get the unbelievably amazing quality NY pizza I grew up with. You don't put toppings on NY pizza, that sh*t is so good by itself.


    So, how 'bout that interview, yea?

    Skid Row Confirmed! ;)! :p
    She conveniently ignored the Candlebox talk, so maybe you're right! :p
  • @KidSleez If you do decide to get into Rocksmith, I'd recommend picking up both games (Rocksmith and Rocksmith 2014) so you can export the first game into 2014. But after the export, only use 2014.

    Can you still export the original version into the 2014 version? I hadn't gotten that far into my research yet.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited March 21
    tdc002 said:

    tnevaker said:

    tdc002 said:

    KidSleez said:

    Rocksmith in 2017 has been pretty varied for quantity, 3 - 6 a week:
    1/3 - U2 (5 songs)
    1/10 - 60s (3 songs)
    1/17 - blink-182 (5 songs)
    1/24 - Variety (4 songs)
    1/31 - Evanescence (3 songs)
    2/7 - 80s (3 songs)
    2/14 - Coldplay (6 songs)
    2/21 - Variety (4 songs)
    2/28 - Beastie Boys (3 songs)
    3/7 - Avril Lavigne (5 songs)
    3/14 - 90s (3 songs)
    3/21 - Skid Row (5 songs)

    HOLD ON A MINUTE...Rocksmith is getting Skid Row? And they recently got Far Behind?
    Rocksmith doesn't need masters. You're essentially just playing guitar tabs along to a recording of the song. That's why they have Skid Row and we don't.
    TheMurals said:

    They don't have to use masters at all, not even a final mix master. (I.e. Why we'll never get Skid Row: their masters are literally obliterated thanks to a hurricane, Sandy iirc)

    well, i can see i've got my work cut out for me here.

    Rock Band no longer needs masters. they don't need multitrack masters now that HMX is ok with non-separated stems on songs. they don't need final mix masters. they don't need any other of the various forms of recordings that get labelled as "masters" during the recording process. all they need now are whatever version of a recording the artist or label deems to be of acceptable quality to send them. that's up to the licensee: it could be a master recording, or it could be a rip off of a CD. it's completely up to them. basically, it's the same thing RS needs, so any artist or song that is released in RS could also conceivably be released on RB.

    the backlash against stemless songs might make HMX more reluctant to offer a lot of these songs, but if enough people ask for or request them, they're still possible. just look at Hold the Line, or Danger Zone from just last week. Danger Zone had the same "lack of masters" issue that prevented it becoming DLC back in the RB3 era, but now that HMX no longer requires masters, that song is finally available in RB4.
    Rock Band does need masters. They're not charting these songs "ripped off a CD." They've just loosened their requirements of what are acceptable master recordings. They no longer need near pristine, perfect masters. With Black Betty, IIRC, the stems for both guitar parts (rhythm and lead) are together, maybe even bass? (idk, I've only played the song twice).

    Plus, like I've posted a million times, there are tons of songs in the back catalog without perfect masters. This is nothing new with RB4 DLC.

    Did they ever say Hold the Line didn't have proper masters? I didn't buy the song, so idk if it does or not. I just figured they were hesitant to license a Toto 3 pack originally because...well, it's Toto.
    so wait, now there are "non-pristine, non-perfect" masters? which of the various kinds of masters are these?
    the problem on this forum is that so many people go throwing around the term "masters" without any idea of specifically what they are referring to. there are all kinds of masters. there are multitrack masters (the kind HMX used to require because that's what you need to get fully separated audio track for the different instrument stems, and which they no longer need). there are mix masters. there are post-mastering masters, i.e. the version of the recording you get after it's gone through the mastering process (which, despite its name, has nothing to do directly with "master" recordings)... and then there are all the other various mix masters, for surround sound, for radio mixes, etc.

    other than the multitrack masters, there is no functional difference between any of those other masters in terms of what HMX needs to produce a DLC song. they are all versions of the song mixed down to 2-track stereo with all the instruments mixed together, no longer separated (or 6-track or 8-track surround, but still, most importantly, with all instruments mixed together and unseparated, and it's a safe bet HMX isn't being sent surround sound mixes by anyone). HMX still needs multitrack masters to exist to produce a song with fully separated stems, but for the stemless songs, all bets are off. they can and will use whatever the label sends them, and the label can call it a "master" if they want, but if they did send a rip off of a CD (and i'm not saying anyone has, but it's a possibility) HMX would have no way of telling that it came off a CD. it's all just bits and bytes, and there's nothing special or unique about a master recording vs. audio taken from a CD or other source that makes it more suitable or usable for the purpose of producing DLC. if the label is OK with using CD-quality audio (which BTW is perfectly suitable high-quality audio) to send to HMX, they'll use whatever it is their sent.

    people just throw around the term "masters" and can't even point to what they mean by that. everyone is confused because rock band USED to need masters, but the only reason they needed them was for separated stems, and without that, the requirement no longer stands. but people keep inventing this fictional narrative that HMX still needs "masters", just a different kind of "master" than what they needed before, with absolutely nothing to back that claim up.

    as for Hold the Line, it was one of HMX's DIY stem releases. that doesn't mean absolutely that there was an issue with the multitrack masters, but it's the most likely reason. if there were multitrack masters available to use, the song would almost certainly have properly separated stems instead. i can't speak to Black Betty, but in the pre-RB3 era, there were very few songs that didn't have completely isolated stems, and the few examples that did were usually attributable to recording issues on the original multitrack masters, such as having multiple instruments recorded to the same track (a common practice on older recordings when there were fewer tracks available to record to, or when bouncing tracks down to make more room for new tracks was required) to bleed-through during recording. in those cases, they still had most instruments separated, but not always the complete separation that would be ideal. but you still need the multitrack masters even for that level of imperfect separation. the stemless songs we get now, where NONE of the instruments are isolated to their own tracks, are due to not using multitrack masters at all, and resorting to other mixed-down stereo sources to produce those DLC songs.
  • KidSleez said:

    KidSleez said:

    I personally stopped playing because audio delay made it impossible to play with.


    Then I learned about a month or so ago that they've had a calibration guide around since forever so I should probably do that.

    I read about an audio delay in reference to XB1, but I think that was old info. Curious to see if what you mentioned fixes that issue.
    I have not had an audio lag problem playing Rocksmith guitar. I use an optical cable.

    And the keys to learning guitar are the possession of self motivation, self discipline and persistence.

    Lack of inherent talent can be overcome by practice.
    So question to you or anyone else...what would be a decent, inexpensive guitar to try to use with RS to learn?

    EDIT: Also, the game + cable is currently $38 on Amazon. From a quick search, it seems that's a pretty good price. Can anyone confirm?
    $38 for the Cable+game is indeed a pretty good deal.

    As for guitar recommendations, you have to define your budget. To some people $79 is inexpensive, to others that have looked at real Gibsons then "under $500" might be inexpensive. There is no "right" answer.

    To me, a super cheap sub $100 guitar is just that: super cheap and sub-par. It will be difficult to play and difficult to tune, and it won't want to stay in tune. And you probably won't want to play it. Unless you score some kind of lucky amazing used guitar deal.

    I'd ask around first and see if you have any family or friends that have an electric guitar sitting around that's just gathering dust. Ask if you can borrow it for a couple of weeks or a couple of months. If it's a cheap POS then you can experience that and understand why you don't want to pay for something that cheap. (Money thrown away.) If it's nice, then you'll have a ball-park of what you'll want to spend.

    Your first guitar doesn't need to be a $1500 American Strat, but it also shouldn't be something that makes you *NOT* want to pick it up. I personally think today's sweet spot for "cheap" guitars is around $350: you can get some pretty amazing guitars for around that or a little less today, thanks to CNC wood machining. Epiphone Les Paul and SG pro models are really nice. There are some killer Fenders in the low-end too, but at about $1500 for a US made Strat I'm just saving my pennies for one of those and not even bothering to look at their lower end gear. $1500 is a lot, but in the world of classic American made models it's pretty cheap! Schecter and other lesser known guitar makers are also cranking out some awesome axes in Singapore and South Korea that sell in that price range, and you can't really go wrong with those. (I currently have 3 Schecters.)

    $350 is still a lot if you don't end up liking it and sticking with it. That's why I say ask around and see of you can borrow a currently unused one. Then you're only out $38 when you realize it's tough to do and you don't want to invest the time. And then if you are digging it and want to get a decent guitar, $350 isn't *too* traumatic of a sum to save up.
    This is very helpful, thanks! Yeah, I don't know anybody with a guitar that I could either use or have, so that option is kinda out the window. Is finding a used guitar in decent condition at a reasonable price possible?

    I'd be down to pay $350 if I knew I wouldn't get frustrated and quit. Although I suppose I could always sell it later.
13
Sign In or Register to comment.