RB4 "miss sounds" options missing

Any idea if/when it will be implemented? (like it is in RB3)

I bought RB4 to use it as a drumless player and the lack of that extremely simple feature makes it a non-starter - and to think I just found out after importing all of my previous RB songs and DLC... I feel silly now.

Comments

• Delibird444Delibird444 Opening Act
    It will not be returning.
  • I thought that we heard a thunk (for B/G) or a sidestick (drum) for someone missing a note...
  • zgeggy2kzgeggy2k Unsigned

You seem authoritative in your answer. How do you know?
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    edited March 19
    I want an option where the music/instruments don't go inaudible when a player misses a note.
  • edited March 19
    Would be a nice option to have back... That way when I play with my friends and they try to play "Panic Attack" on expert when they can barely manage "Say It Ain't So" on medium I don't have to listen to the sound of sticks clicking the entire time.
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    itzJV said:

I want an option where the music/instruments don't go inaudible when a player misses a note.

Sounds like you need to try some of the dlc without proper separation, that way it wont be inaudible, it'll just become muffled or tinny (depending on instrument and song).

For me most of the experience from these games come from having proper stems so that one can hear what they are trying to play.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    zgeggy2k said:

Although I don't have a link, around here it is somewhat common knowledge that the miss sounds are not mute-able so that you can't (easily) get separated tracks from the game. I guess in RB3 and prior you could set up your band with three players and not play and get the remaining separated track playing and record it, then cycle through until you had stems for the whole song. Now you have an annoying miss-note or three to deal with.

At least that what I understand about it.

Pirates screwing things up for the legitimate player again, as usual.

zgeggy2k said:

Although I don't have a link, around here it is somewhat common knowledge that the miss sounds are not mute-able so that you can't (easily) get separated tracks from the game. I guess in RB3 and prior you could set up your band with three players and not play and get the remaining separated track playing and record it, then cycle through until you had stems for the whole song. Now you have an annoying miss-note or three to deal with.

At least that what I understand about it.

Pirates screwing things up for the legitimate player again, as usual.
    Thanks for the info.

I guess I understand how you'd get access to those tracks, but then what do you do with them?

Remix-them so you get the whole song? It sounds like a very time-consuming piece of work to get the whole song, and I'm pretty sure the pirates have access to that song much more easily anyways.

What could pirates possibly do with individual tracks? Has this ever happened through the life of RB/HMX or is this just hypothetical?

If they are really worry about it they could simply only allow this modifier if there are two or more tracks that play.

I used to use RB3 as a drumless track player so I could play along with my own e-kit, and clearly I can't do it with RB4. Obviously I made the mistake of buying the game and I'm now stuck with the game not having the only feature I need (I don't actually play the game anymore). I feel like a sucker...
  • TheMuralsTheMurals Unsigned
    When people get the pseudo-stems, it's much easier to do remixes or produce instrumentals/karaokes.

I'm pretty sure theyre trying to curb sources of potential piracy across the board. I noticed that unlike Rock Band 3, highlighting Full Song in Practice Mode only gives you the preview clip (I'm guilty of using that feature like a jukebox back in the day to listen to the Rock Band remixes of certain songs while multitasking, since sometimes they're so different).
    TheMurals said:

When people get the pseudo-stems, it's much easier to do remixes or produce instrumentals/karaokes.

I'm pretty sure theyre trying to curb sources of potential piracy across the board. I noticed that unlike Rock Band 3, highlighting Full Song in Practice Mode only gives you the preview clip (I'm guilty of using that feature like a jukebox back in the day to listen to the Rock Band remixes of certain songs while multitasking, since sometimes they're so different).

Fair enough, but if you want to rip off a Karaoke version, you can simply rip an existing Karaoke CD/DVD, and if there isn't one that exists, then your product will quickly stand out as a pirate version. At any rate, it's such a small market...

Knowing the paranoid nature of studios, what you say does not surprise me however.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    i play the same way (as an e-kit player who turned off the miss sounds and instrumental drum track in RB3 to hear my own drum output). sadly they removed the ability to turn off miss sounds and to fully mute an audio track, which diminishes the enjoyment of playing the game that way, but doesn't remove it entirely. you can still make the drum track quieter, just not completely quiet (some songs sound better than others) and as for miss sounds, not really a problem if you don't miss. i think turning down the sound effects option may also reduce the miss sounds volume, i always turn it down low because the beeps and whistles are annoying and distracting anyway and i rarely notice miss sounds. but then, i don't miss much either.

bottom line, RB3 was made with people like us in mind. they catered much more to people with a musical background, with the pro modes and the pro adapter for e-kits and options that made the game more enjoyable for us. RB4 returned the game to the casuals at our expense. hell, most people on xbox are STILL waiting for an adapter to even be able to play their e-kits in the game.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    Just turn down the sound effects volume. Case closed.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Guitar Hero Live plays out-of-tune or THUD sounds when you miss. I didn't even notice they were gone from the current Rock Band until I heard them in that game.

Of course, I almost never miss a note in RB, so how would I even notice?

:neutral:
  • yoann007yoann007 Unsigned
    edited March 20

But no miss noises is the way intended for the game as a default.

I do think it's a much better game design choice from the developers, as long as the appropriate stems are provided with every song (which is not always the case in RB4, and is never the case in GHTV). You can hear that you missed a note when the instrument stops playing. It's just less... aggressive and "in-your-face" that a big cartoony clunking sound coming from the worst actual guitar ever.

That doesn't work. The miss sounds still play.
    Oh, so it still does play miss sounds?
    It's REALLY obnoxious in GHTV. Probably because they don't even pretend to use full stems, so they play a loud THUNK sound rather than just having the guitar go silent (impossible). Yes, it seems like the whole track gets quieter if you don't play anything. But playing the wrong note? Obnoxious. There's your incentive to play better, right?

Now I'm curious to see what RB4 does. I guess I've just internalized it. I know right away that I've missed though. Does the screen wobble? Just a little bit? And my instrument is made a bit quieter, if it's a properly made song. But is there a sour note played too?

Hmmm.
    tnevaker said:

i play the same way (as an e-kit player who turned off the miss sounds and instrumental drum track in RB3 to hear my own drum output). sadly they removed the ability to turn off miss sounds and to fully mute an audio track, which diminishes the enjoyment of playing the game that way, but doesn't remove it entirely. you can still make the drum track quieter, just not completely quiet (some songs sound better than others) and as for miss sounds, not really a problem if you don't miss.

If I understand you right, you are basically playing the game with your e-kit (so it registers your hits to avoid missed notes), but you have changed the settings somehow such that the drum track in the game isn't played (or is played at very low volume) and you mix your own kit sounds with the resulting sound of the console. Is that right?

Then your sound settings are such that the miss sounds aren't too intrusive either. Is that right too?

What are your settings? I'd like to reproduce them on my setup. I've played with the Sound settings sliders and didn't get any good results.

From a hookup perspective, I used to grab the audio feed from the RCA cables coming out of the PS3, but the PS4 doesn't have that so I guess I'll have to grab the sound from my receiver instead. How do you hook it all up?
    zgeggy2k said:

Then something's off since I haven't had an audible missed note sound since I changed my settings.

zgeggy2k said:

Then something's off since I haven't had an audible missed note sound since I changed my settings.
    Are you serious? What console are you playing on?
    I'm going to try it again just in case, but I swear I tried it many times yesterday without any luck. Do you mind telling me what your Sound settings look like? (it's the sliders screen right?)
    zgeggy2k said:

zgeggy2k said:

I'm going to try it again just in case, but I swear I tried it many times yesterday without any luck. Do you mind telling me what your Sound settings look like? (it's the sliders screen right?)
    Yeah. I'm on PS4. I can try to upload a snapshot tonight.

zgeggy2k said:

zgeggy2k said:

Yeah. I'm on PS4. I can try to upload a snapshot tonight.
    That is much appreciated, thanks!
    I'll do another round of settings test this afternoon too.

Once you have your settings done, do you play the song in "Practice Mode" or do you go to the main menu to play it?
  • itzJV said:

I'm sure a lot of musicians wish they had that option as well when they are playing live.
    zgeggy2k said:

tnevaker said:

i play the same way (as an e-kit player who turned off the miss sounds and instrumental drum track in RB3 to hear my own drum output). sadly they removed the ability to turn off miss sounds and to fully mute an audio track, which diminishes the enjoyment of playing the game that way, but doesn't remove it entirely. you can still make the drum track quieter, just not completely quiet (some songs sound better than others) and as for miss sounds, not really a problem if you don't miss.

If I understand you right, you are basically playing the game with your e-kit (so it registers your hits to avoid missed notes), but you have changed the settings somehow such that the drum track in the game isn't played (or is played at very low volume) and you mix your own kit sounds with the resulting sound of the console. Is that right?
    yeah, that's how it's set up, works 100% in RB3, not as well in RB4.
    zgeggy2k said:

Then your sound settings are such that the miss sounds aren't too intrusive either. Is that right too?

What are your settings? I'd like to reproduce them on my setup. I've played with the Sound settings sliders and didn't get any good results.

From a hookup perspective, I used to grab the audio feed from the RCA cables coming out of the PS3, but the PS4 doesn't have that so I guess I'll have to grab the sound from my receiver instead. How do you hook it all up?

in RB4 i turn the instrument volume slider all the way down (in RB3 this would completely mute the track, in RB4 it just makes it quieter but still audible) and i turned down the sound effects volume, i can't remember exactly how far, probably about 50%.

i have my console output going into a mixer via optical digital output into a D/A converter, and my e-kit output going to the same mixer, so i can adjust the relative volume of my kit to the in-game audio.

itzJV said:

I'm sure a lot of musicians wish they had that option as well when they are playing live.
    A number of vocalists have found a way to have that as an option but boy is it embarrassing when their mouth doesn't line up at all with the sound coming out of the speakers

itzJV said:

A number of vocalists have found a way to have that as an option but boy is it embarrassing when their mouth doesn't line up at all with the sound coming out of the speakers