DLC Discussion Thread: Kaleo and New Order!

Comments

• kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    edited April 11
    V8VANTAGE said:

tdc002 said:

Which version of Bizarre Love Triangle are we getting? Vocals sound a little different to me.

I believe it is the single version. The 12" version at the same point as where the gameplay was recorded has a completely different mix with louder vocals and has additional snares and claps. Also the drum pattern is completely different. A bit of a shame considering we have the full 12" Blue Monday (albeit with re-recorded drum snares). I was looking forward to the 12"'s drum intro :/ Nethertheless, it's an 80's song; an awesome 80's song!

As for the stems, it seems promising but not definite. The vocals sound strange because they sound more "dry" than what they do on the album. In fact most of the instruments do too.

Dry = instruments or vocals with no added sound effects like reverb, as it would usually sound in the recording studio.
    Wet = instruments or vocals with added effects like reverb, as most songs are heard after editing.

I like your comments based on the standard that they too are dry. :)

Dry = Serious and straight to the point. No extra biased filler. Just the facts.

Wet = Contains water.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal

TheStuddz said:

This is a fantastic week, probably my two most anticipated songs of the month arriving from on the same day! Too bad that it'll mean a week of repeats, but it's no different from the update weeks off last year.

That's not a given. We have Champagne Supernova, Heaven Knows, Free Bird, and Beast and the Harlot to go.
    Oh that's true! I thought there was only one new song left and 2-3 repeats for some reason, oops.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited April 11

I mean, a stone cold classic from the 80s that would have been perfect for Rock Band 3, but for some reason we never got it? There's very little chance that it uses full stems. But I'll hope for that outcome any way.

Is it a classic though?

I don't know, chart data seems to suggest it didn't do well so was it a "Cherry Pie" type situation like with Blue Monday or is it more just a fan favourite?
    I'd argue it's a classic, if not by name then by recognizability. I didn't know it by its name, but as soon as I listened to it I was able to sing the entire chorus by heart. I've heard it quite a bit on my local radio station (which isn't an 80s station or a new wave station, just a variety station).
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited April 11
    Rolling Stone has it listed at #204 in their list of the Greatest Songs of All Time.
    Not "proof" but suggestive that, yeah, it really is a stone cold classic
    Also, from Billboard:
    10 Reasons Why New Order's 'Bizarre Love Triangle' Is One of the Greatest Songs of All Time
    Reason #3? The 13 note drum launch, which is supposed to be in every one of the many edits of this song (including this one ... right???)
    Reason #10: "It wasn't a commercial hit". The version by Frente! did best on the charts (!)
    Is this really relevant to why it is "great"? Huh. In any case, it addresses the idea that a song can be a classic now even if it wasn't a smash hit upon release. Staying power. Timelessness.
    Would have been awesome on keys, eh?
    (ducks)
  • I mean, a stone cold classic from the 80s that would have been perfect for Rock Band 3, but for some reason we never got it? There's very little chance that it uses full stems. But I'll hope for that outcome any way.

Is it a classic though?

I don't know, chart data seems to suggest it didn't do well
    How about we all just have some good old-fashioned F.U.N.?

No, not like that SpongeBob song :p

And now here's a good fun. song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIoaiTwLk6I

• hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior

I mean, a stone cold classic from the 80s that would have been perfect for Rock Band 3, but for some reason we never got it? There's very little chance that it uses full stems. But I'll hope for that outcome any way.

Is it a classic though?

I don't know, chart data seems to suggest it didn't do well so was it a "Cherry Pie" type situation like with Blue Monday or is it more just a fan favourite?
    New Order weren't really that successful chart wise, but among fans of dance music and Joy Division fans they have a pretty devoted following
  • I was gonna get Bizzare Love Triangle but arm hurts just looking at that chart and think I'll play it once, get annoyed then never play it again.
  • hiimSMAP said:

Is it a classic though?

New Order weren't really that successful chart wise, but among fans of dance music and Joy Division fans they have a pretty devoted following
    I wonder why we only have one Joy Division song.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior

I was gonna get Bizzare Love Triangle but arm hurts just looking at that chart and think I'll play it once, get annoyed then never play it again.

On that note: see #4 from that Billboard link I posted:

4. The non-instrumentation. New Order spent much of the '80s fascinated with the idea of turning itself over to the machines -- if only to have a song available for encores that could play without its involvement -- and by the time the band got to "Bizarre," every element in the song was sequenced besides the vocals and some bass. Rather than rob the song of its humanity, the flooding beds of Fairlight-programmed synths and orchestral hits just come off sounding like the distracting chaos of a cluttered brain, with Sumner's besieged vocal at the middle trying to make sense of it all.
    Maybe it wouldn't be fun even on keys. Definitely fun to sing, though.
  • akuiken98 said:

Congratulations to Kaleo for making it to Rock Band.

What's so funny about this? Who gave this post a "lol"?
    How do you NOT find it funny?!
  • edited April 11

I mean, Blue Monday is one heck of an awesome song - but boy does it suck to play it on anything other than Keys lol (well, I guess the drums are fun too). Singing is always fun, though.
  • It turns out that Harmonix is using the 1994 version, which is pretty good. (Though not as good as the Substance version, which the best version IMHO, but still good never the less).
  • I'll be getting both... not falling behind this time! :) Thank you Harmonix! <3
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    Wildcat15 said:

hiimSMAP said:

Is it a classic though?

I wonder why we only have one Joy Division song.
    I feel like we would've gotten more pre-RB3 when Harmonix was taking a lot more chances with cult favorite groups like that, like a 3-pack of Disorder, Shadowplay, and She's Lost Control would've been incredible
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior

It seems to be confirmed via the stream that there will be RBVR DLC songs that aren't songs already in the main RB library.

I thought this might be the case. Maybe there will be some weeks where both platforms get the same song(s) or artist(s).
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

There's TONS of great keys songs that should've made it to RB3 but didn't. Stems weren't the reason. They just did't pick that many keys songs (because apparently not many of those keyboards sold).

Plus something tells me Blue Monday didn't sell that well (outside of RB3 preorders), so they were probably hesitant to do more New Order DLC in the first place.

Is it a classic though?

I don't know, chart data seems to suggest it didn't do well
    How about we all just have some good old-fashioned F.U.N.?

No, not like that SpongeBob song :p

And now here's a good fun. song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIoaiTwLk6I

That used to be my favourite song, and I was so hoping we'd get it as part of a fun. pack back when they were big for a bit. Now that we have Some Nights too, I don't think we'll ever get a pack. Too bad, as Some Nights, Carry On, and All the Pretty Girls would have made a great pack.
  • Basically confirms my pairing predictions for the month.

Well, Free Bird has to go with something :p

What better song than the OTHER one with the awesome guitar solo in it XD
    I'm pairing that with Champagne Supernova so we get a challenge that's just long songs.
  • Tyrus1235 said:

I mean, Blue Monday is one heck of an awesome song - but boy does it suck to play it on anything other than Keys lol (well, I guess the drums are fun too). Singing is always fun, though.
    Only if it's the original version...the Orgy version is great on guitar.
  • Tom ImpTom Imp Road Warrior
    TheStuddz said:

I'd argue it's a classic, if not by name then by recognizability. I didn't know it by its name, but as soon as I listened to it I was able to sing the entire chorus by heart.

Same here. Can't say I remember much about New Order back then and when I saw the title it didn't ring a bell, but as soon as I heard the first few seconds I immediately remembered it. Definitely picking that one up.

• MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    akuiken98 said:

Not sure if this is a serious question or not (internet sarcasm is convoluted), but Dog has been congratulating new artists in Rock Band since August. From what I've gathered, it's become an ongoing inside joke.
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star

akuiken98 said:

Not sure if this is a serious question or not (internet sarcasm is convoluted), but Dog has been congratulating new artists in Rock Band since August. From what I've gathered, it's become an ongoing inside joke.
    Someone else was doing it for way longer prior to this (doing fifty things at work so I can't on-the-spot recall who). Dog just picked up the mantle.
  • I've been thinking, I know there's only been 2 confirmed DLC months so far but maybe we'll be getting an up and coming RBVR disc setlist artist each month. For March it was Basement (Promise Everything) and for April it's Kaleo (Glass House)