Guitar Fixes / Workarounds

If you start the game and your guitar shows present, but the buttons don't work at all, try setting your game EXE to run as administrator. This fixed the problem for me. The only odd thing is when I got to the actual menu/band "room" the screen was black, but the issue went away when I pressed the A button on the touch controller. Not sure if that's related, or a separate bug.
Note: An uninstall/reinstall also had temporarily fixed this issue for me, but it came back again.

If you have a the Jaguar controller, and it won't pair or is otherwise acting funny, try the firmware update
https://harmonix.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004839308-MANDATORY-Xbox-One-Jaguar-guitar-controller-firmware-update

These are the two most common issues I've seen on the board, with the first one happening at least twice to me before I set the game to run as admin.

Comments

• inSain9876inSain9876 Unsigned
    I just tried running as admin....still no response on the guitar.
  • I have an odd issue. The game won't even launch if I have the PS3 dongle in. Works fine if I don't have the guitar plugged in but that's obviously not helpful.
  • Krasniye said:

I have an odd issue. The game won't even launch if I have the PS3 dongle in. Works fine if I don't have the guitar plugged in but that's obviously not helpful.

As far as I know, It's XBone PS4 guitar only. If you have a PS4 guitar, it's bluetooth, so you can use your built in bluetooth to pair (if you have it) or try another bluetooth adapter (they're cheap enough.)

• Krasniye said:

I have an odd issue. The game won't even launch if I have the PS3 dongle in. Works fine if I don't have the guitar plugged in but that's obviously not helpful.

As far as I know, It's XBone PS4 guitar only. If you have a PS4 guitar, it's bluetooth, so you can use your built in bluetooth to pair (if you have it) or try another bluetooth adapter (they're cheap enough.)

The first guitar listed on the oculus store:
    • PlayStation®3 Fender® Stratocaster®*

The PS3 strat uses a dongle instead of bluetooth.

Am I the only person attempting to use a PS3 strat? lol.
  • Krasniye said:

Krasniye said:

My bad, I never checked the store. I just did, and it looks like the asterisk listed after "PlayStation®3 Fender® Stratocaster®*" means that you need to connect it bluetooth. Try seeing if you can pair the PS3 guitar bluetooth, it's probably something like the dongle is PS3 specific/non-windows compatible.

• Krasniye said:

Krasniye said:

My bad, I never checked the store. I just did, and it looks like the asterisk listed after "PlayStation®3 Fender® Stratocaster®*" means that you need to connect it bluetooth. Try seeing if you can pair the PS3 guitar bluetooth, it's probably something like the dongle is PS3 specific/non-windows compatible.

Hmm well as far as I know you can't connect this guitar via bluetooth. It's strange because windows detects it just fine. And it works just fine (I've also used it for things like frets on fire and the like a long time ago).

Even on the harmonix RBVR site where it tells you how to connect the controllers to PC it includes the PS3 controller and says you use the dongle https://harmonix.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004674127-How-do-I-connect-a-guitar-controller-to-my-PC-

• Weird. I know this sounds stupid, but have you tried plugging it in after the game is running?
  • Weird. I know this sounds stupid, but have you tried plugging it in after the game is running?

I have. It instantly freezes the game and I have to kill the process.
  • I have been talking to Harmonix support to no avail, they are having me send them some driver info. Hopefully they'll look at it and have a fix for me but they said they may have to transfer me to "a higher tier of our technical support team" hopefully this gets fixed but as of now, no solutions.
    I sent them the file last night. I replied this morning asking for an update and still haven't heard from them. Same thing with Oculus support. You figure with a launch of a huge PC game like this they would be a little more prepared for tech support.
  • I sent them the file last night. I replied this morning asking for an update and still haven't heard from them. Same thing with Oculus support. You figure with a launch of a huge PC game like this they would be a little more prepared for tech support.

ugh if this doesn't get fixed soon I'll probably pester oculus for a refund :/
  • I sent them the file last night. I replied this morning asking for an update and still haven't heard from them. Same thing with Oculus support. You figure with a launch of a huge PC game like this they would be a little more prepared for tech support.

To put things into perspective (as far as I can tell) Harmonix is now an indie studio. After Rock Band 3, they were able to break away from MTV and take their IPs with them. So right now, they're not exactly a big budget studio. Beyond that, it looks like Oculus has taken a hit due to poor reception and the recent zenimax lawsuit, so while they may have (possibly, just a guess) financed or published RBVR, neither entity is in much of a state to throw money at RBVR.

It's a shame, because when it works, the game is AWESOME. As a long time Guitar Hero/Rock band fan, this is a way better experience than any Rhythm game I've played recently, including Rock Band 4. I urge you to hold off for at least for a week, or the first patch, whichever comes first. I know it totally sucks, but the experience I've had (buggy as it may be) I'd say is worth waiting for.

To put things into perspective (as far as I can tell) Harmonix is now an indie studio. After Rock Band 3, they were able to break away from MTV and take their IPs with them. So right now, they're not exactly a big budget studio. Beyond that, it looks like Oculus has taken a hit due to poor reception and the recent zenimax lawsuit, so while they may have (possibly, just a guess) financed or published RBVR, neither entity is in much of a state to throw money at RBVR.

It's a shame, because when it works, the game is AWESOME. As a long time Guitar Hero/Rock band fan, this is a way better experience than any Rhythm game I've played recently, including Rock Band 4. I urge you to hold off for at least for a week, or the first patch, whichever comes first. I know it totally sucks, but the experience I've had (buggy as it may be) I'd say is worth waiting for.

I'll keep that in mind I suppose. If it's not fixed after the first patch I'll unfortunately ask for a refund.
  • Krasniye said:

I sent them the file last night. I replied this morning asking for an update and still haven't heard from them. Same thing with Oculus support. You figure with a launch of a huge PC game like this they would be a little more prepared for tech support.

I'll keep that in mind I suppose. If it's not fixed after the first patch I'll unfortunately ask for a refund.
    That's quite understandable. Hopefully everything gets itself sorted out.
  • Krasniye said:

I was able to get it working with a PS3 strat + dongle. I know that doesn't help, but it's a data point. Could there be other software installed that is looking for the guitar? Possibly a conflict?
  • Storm360Storm360 Unsigned
    One thing that I've noticed is sometimes my game doesn't take "priority" as the open window, so my guitar won't respond to input. If that happens, just taking off the headset and clicking the RBVR window to set it as your active window is enough to fix it.
  • leoport said:

Krasniye said:

I was able to get it working with a PS3 strat + dongle. I know that doesn't help, but it's a data point. Could there be other software installed that is looking for the guitar? Possibly a conflict?
    well I'm glad you exist. I'm not sure what other program could be trying to use the guitar. What baffles me is it just refuses to load instead of the usual of it just not responding on the game.
    New development. I just did a live chat with tech support at Mad Catz to see if they may be able to help. Turns out they had no idea that their controllers were shipping with Rock Band VR. He said a different company does the controller for Harmonix now and the Mad Catz controllers may not be compatable with the game. He said Harmonix uses a company called PDP for their controllers now.
  • New development. I just did a live chat with tech support at Mad Catz to see if they may be able to help. Turns out they had no idea that their controllers were shipping with Rock Band VR. He said a different company does the controller for Harmonix now and the Mad Catz controllers may not be compatable with the game. He said Harmonix uses a company called PDP for their controllers now.

I'm gonna nip this one in the bud quick. To sell things, you gotta sign a lot of papers and make a lot of deals. You can't sell someone else's stuff without permission. The single tech support guy doesn't speak for 'they' here.
    HMXOwl said:

New development. I just did a live chat with tech support at Mad Catz to see if they may be able to help. Turns out they had no idea that their controllers were shipping with Rock Band VR. He said a different company does the controller for Harmonix now and the Mad Catz controllers may not be compatable with the game. He said Harmonix uses a company called PDP for their controllers now.

I'm gonna nip this one in the bud quick. To sell things, you gotta sign a lot of papers and make a lot of deals. You can't sell someone else's stuff without permission. The single tech support guy doesn't speak for 'they' here.
    First off, I didn't say he didn't know the guitars were still being sold. He wasn't aware they were being bundled with the VR version. He said that they have received no training on troubleshooting that game since they are no longer the company Harmonix is using. Do you not think it's possible that an older guitar with older drivers/software could be the issue? I'm guessing a guitar controller from 2 years ago may not have the drivers to run properly on a PC considering there was no Rock Band on PC at the time. Amazon just put download codes and the adapters in old controller boxes and put a new UPC sticker over the old one. That would at least make sense. I wouldn't have to dig and speculate so much if someone from Harmonix would jump in and acknowledge there is a problem and give some sort of explanation.
  • edited March 27

HMXOwl said:

First off, I didn't say he didn't know the guitars were still being sold. He wasn't aware they were being bundled with the VR version. He said that they have received no training on troubleshooting that game since they are no longer the company Harmonix is using. Do you not think it's possible that an older guitar with older drivers/software could be the issue?
    They've been tested and stuff, that's why they're on the guitar list and sold with it. Heck, they kinda work EASIER, the Xbox One Strats don't even need updates like the Jags do. PCs are just super variable, that's why DxDiags and stuff are being collected. The problem is most likely along the path it takes, which is why we're trying to identify trends. You'll notice even in this thread, people are like, "This worked for me!" while others are like, "Not for me!"
  • Still haven't solved my issue of the game simply not starting with the guitar controller plugged in. Tried reinstalling the drivers to, no dice. I hope they push an update out soon that fixes things.

Harmonix hasn't replied in days to my support ticket.

Ugh I just want to play the game :/
  • PS4 Rockband Rivals Jaguar guitar identifies as a "PDP Rock Band Guitar" on bluetooth..... but doesn't connect (see the thread I've raised on the forum)

So yeah I think PDP probably does make the newer guitars...but they alll should be working.

I'd be keen to hear of ANY Playstation Guitar owner with a bluetooth dongle (not native bluetooth) that can get the guitar recognised in game! If they can, PLEASE, get in touch!
  • Carbs said:

PS4 Rockband Rivals Jaguar guitar identifies as a "PDP Rock Band Guitar" on bluetooth..... but doesn't connect (see the thread I've raised on the forum)

So yeah I think PDP probably does make the newer guitars...but they alll should be working.

I'd be keen to hear of ANY Playstation Guitar owner with a bluetooth dongle (not native bluetooth) that can get the guitar recognised in game! If they can, PLEASE, get in touch!

The guitar works for me in-game, just not the whammy bar or the effects switch. Been like this for three days now! I can't play the game!
  • I talked to someone from Harmonix and there solutions didn't work for me, so now they forwarded my issue with tech support............
  • krectuskrectus Opening Act
    Is the guitar switch supposed to do something? I was fiddling around with it the other day and thought it was odd that the game recognizes when I switch it around visually but it doesn't seem to do anything audio wise.
  • Interesting update in my story.

If I run the game in Windows 8 compatibility mode it will start with my controller plugged in!

However unfortunately when I go to play anything (classic mode, tutorial, whatever) it will instantly crash to desktop.
  • edited April 5
    HMXOwl said:

HMXOwl said:

First off, I didn't say he didn't know the guitars were still being sold. He wasn't aware they were being bundled with the VR version. He said that they have received no training on troubleshooting that game since they are no longer the company Harmonix is using. Do you not think it's possible that an older guitar with older drivers/software could be the issue?
    They've been tested and stuff, that's why they're on the guitar list and sold with it. Heck, they kinda work EASIER, the Xbox One Strats don't even need updates like the Jags do. PCs are just super variable, that's why DxDiags and stuff are being collected. The problem is most likely along the path it takes, which is why we're trying to identify trends. You'll notice even in this thread, people are like, "This worked for me!" while others are like, "Not for me!"

All I can say is, that my MadCatz X-Box Guitar Strat works like a charm. I bought it from Amazone separately, since I wasn't able to get the bundle here in Germany.
    All I have to do is moving the Rockband-Window after starting the game (bring it in front), then everything works brillant.
  • edited April 5
    double post :*
  • Everything of mine works now! Cheers!