PS4 Rock Band 4 Guitar Whammy bar not working with Rock Band VR

Hi,

I have connected my PS4 guitar via bluetooth to my PC and everything is working ok (it sometimes disconnects or stutters), but my Whammy bar is not working at all. On the PS4 it works fine. And I need this to finish the Tutorial and move around. Can someone help me?

ps: there was a self made solution on Reddit but it does not work (anymore, DLL missing)

Comments

• edited March 24
    Have you unpaired it and repaired it? Restarted your computer? It could be trying to apply drivers, which would need a reset.
  • SindagonSindagon Unsigned
    HMXOwl said:

Have you unpaired it and repaired it? Restarted your computer? It could be trying to apply drivers, which would need a reset.

I have tried that, did not work :(
  • kenekekeneke Road Warrior
    Did you update the firmware on your guitar?
  • Also if anyone reading has any suggestions please let me know.
  • If the game shows it moving, but it never seems to do anything, flip it around and pull it up. I had to do this with my xbox one guitar.
  • rwoodrrwoodr Unsigned
    I am having the same problem. Ordered the VR bundle from Amazon, got it Thursday and found I couldn't finish the tutorial. Skipped tutorial and now can't do anything in the game. I updated firmware, unpaired and repaired the controller, tested in devices and printers (windows doesn't show it is reading the whammy or effects switch at all) all other buttons work as expected though. I am running windows 10 pro creators edition. Have the ps4 bundled guitar that came with rockband VR. Any help on this issue would be great. I already swapped out my first guitar with amazon thinking it was a hardware problem as I don't have rockband to test on ps4.
  • rwoodrrwoodr Unsigned
    As an update. I moved my bluetooth adaptor to a different usb controller, updated the drivers for the adaptor (a asus USB-BT400) and restarted. When I went back into rockband VR, the effect switch and whammy bar are now working properly. This does appear to be a windows/bluetooth side issue not a controller/rockband issue if my problems are anything to gauge by. YMMV
    rwoodr said:

As an update. I moved my bluetooth adaptor to a different usb controller, updated the drivers for the adaptor (a asus USB-BT400) and restarted. When I went back into rockband VR, the effect switch and whammy bar are now working properly. This does appear to be a windows/bluetooth side issue not a controller/rockband issue if my problems are anything to gauge by. YMMV

did you move from a USB 3.0 to a USB 2.0 by any change? or a case USB connection to a on board connection? any info would be nice :)

• I am having the same problem. I tried all the steps listed thus far. I opened a ticket with Harmonix. Seems like any of the Axis are having problems. Nothing registers in windows besides the buttons. Windows 10.
  • Having the same issues here, tried all the methods of fixing that have been posted, as well as several others that I thought of.

Updating the firmware seemed like a solid fix in theory, but it's done nothing. I've also tested the controller using another computer as well with built-in Bluetooth, and it's not working there, either.
  • Updating the firmware seemed like a solid fix in theory, but it's done nothing. I've also tested the controller using another computer as well with built-in Bluetooth, and it's not working there, either.

There is no firmware for PS4 Jags.

Seen success from someone who made sure to update their Bluetooth adapter, it might be just your adapters aren't updating correctly.
  • I can confirm the same issue, I have the PS4 Bluetooth Fender Stratocaster controller, the Whammy bar does not work at all on Rockband VR, I have an ASUS BT400 bluetooth controller, I have updated it's drivers, I have updated the guitar firmware and it still dosn't work, leaving the game unplayable (you can't finish the tutorial or choose a teleport spot in the main caravan), a quick fix would be to allow another button of course, such as the start button or left/right on the dpad, at least that would allow us to play, but obviously fixing the drivers would be awesome.

P.S i know it's not the guitar because I paired it with my PS4 and ran rockband 4, the whammy bar works just fine over there.
  • QwedgeonlineQwedgeonline Unsigned
    edited March 27
    HMXOwl said:

Updating the firmware seemed like a solid fix in theory, but it's done nothing. I've also tested the controller using another computer as well with built-in Bluetooth, and it's not working there, either.

Seen success from someone who made sure to update their Bluetooth adapter, it might be just your adapters aren't updating correctly.
    Sorry, I forgot to mention which guitar I've got. I dunno where you read it was the Jag, though. I've got the PS4 Strat bundled with RBVR.

I've got the most-recent driver for my adapter so I can't go any further with that. Same thing happened with my Mac, with built-in Bluetooth.

Interestingly enough, I've got some software that tests the buttons of gamepads and controllers, and it shows the whammy bar as pressing down, it's just not assigned to any of the Axis. The digital values are changing from 0-254. But when I'm using it on Rock Band VR, it's not registering.
  • inSain9876inSain9876 Unsigned
    Hey Qwedgeonline, what is the software to test the controller? I'm having an issue getting my Xbox One controller to work in the game. I'd like to be able to test it out and make sure I didn't just get a dead controller.
  • HMXOwl said:

Sorry, I forgot to mention which guitar I've got. I dunno where you read it was the Jag, though. I've got the PS4 Strat bundled with RBVR.
    That's an excellent question, not sure where I pulled that from...

And you're having just the whammy issue? Or the guitar won't detect?
  • Hey Qwedgeonline, what is the software to test the controller? I'm having an issue getting my Xbox One controller to work in the game. I'd like to be able to test it out and make sure I didn't just get a dead controller.

On the Mac, I used software called Joystick and Gamepad Tester for Mac. Works very well.
    HMXOwl said:

That's an excellent question, not sure where I pulled that from...

And you're having just the whammy issue? Or the guitar won't detect?

The guitar is detected, I just can't use the whammy bar. Controller testing software shows signals being sent when I use the whammy bar, but in game and in Windows otherwise, the whammy bar isn't showing any sign of life.
  • Seeing a successful fix from someone who deleted their third-party Bluetooth drivers and going with the default Windows ones. Tried that?
  • HMXOwl said:

Seeing a successful fix from someone who deleted their third-party Bluetooth drivers and going with the default Windows ones. Tried that?

Just tried. Still nada. Wondering what else to test.
  • ^ tried same thing, no luck as well....4th straight night of no solution
    I was already working with the standard windows 10 bluetooth software, that caused the whammy bar issue. Thought about installing the official bluetooth donge software. Once I did that, I could not connect the guitar at all. so not really an improvement.
  • Sindagon said:

I was already working with the standard windows 10 bluetooth software, that caused the whammy bar issue. Thought about installing the official bluetooth donge software. Once I did that, I could not connect the guitar at all. so not really an improvement.

I imagine HMXOwl will be online to help here momentarily. If Harmonix is on the west coast, and if they open at 8:00am, we should be hearing something fairly soon, I hope.
  • Ok, I tested some more stuff, I can confirm it's not the BlueTooth controller it's self, I have now tested with 3 BlueTooth controllers, White Label, Plugable and ASUS, the main thing I see that's odd is that the controller is detected ok by windows but the functions (Whammy In Particular) are not shown in the Windows Hardware test (the screen with all the buttons and axises), anyone know if this can be hacked in ??
    edited March 28
    Hibbins said:

Ok, I tested some more stuff, I can confirm it's not the BlueTooth controller it's self, I have now tested with 3 BlueTooth controllers, White Label, Plugable and ASUS, the main thing I see that's odd is that the controller is detected ok by windows but the functions (Whammy In Particular) are not shown in the Windows Hardware test (the screen with all the buttons and axises), anyone know if this can be hacked in ??

Do the rest of your buttons work? Because my buttons work, just not the whammy or effects.
  • edited March 28
    Yes all the buttons work BUT the whammy bar and the little up and down switch, i'm thinking that the gamepad that's installing is simply missing the enabling of these axis's, i've been playing with the registry to try and find a hack to enable these functions on the gamepad direct x side but really not going well so far.

I did find out this :

Manufacturer ID is 0738
    Product ID is 8261

These can be used to lookup registry by PID VID_0738&PID_8261

But yet to find an area to enable extra axis's in the registry
  • krectuskrectus Opening Act

Sindagon said:

I imagine HMXOwl will be online to help here momentarily. If Harmonix is on the west coast, and if they open at 8:00am, we should be hearing something fairly soon, I hope.
    The are East Coast, Boston area.
  • Hibbins said:

Yes all the buttons work BUT the whammy bar and the little up and down switch, i'm thinking that the gamepad that's installing is simply missing the enabling of these axis's, i've been playing with the registry to try and find a hack to enable these functions on the gamepad direct x side but really not going well so far.

I did find out this :

Manufacturer ID is 0738
    Product ID is 8261

These can be used to lookup registry by PID VID_0738&PID_8261

But yet to find an area to enable extra axis's in the registry

Any more progress on this? I feel like I need to be doing something helpful.
  • I think i got a fix, seen over on Oculus Forums Vash744, just make sure oculus is not running, pair the bluetooth guitar, right click the oculus app and run as administrator
  • Guys, I think I found the fix. I made a comment on Sunday of all the things I had done, not sure if that stuff still needs to be done to get it working (updating drivers)....

...But I was able to make everything work by closing the Oculus software entirely, then right-clicking the Oculus Icon ->"Run As Administrator". (To be clear my guitar was already paired, and ready to go). Then I just opened the Rockband VR application, and everything started working.

(Should also be mentioned I also uninstalled/reinstalled Rockband VR, but I assume the only thing that is needed is to set "Run As Administrator" to get it all working.

From what I read up online, and as some of you have found out, the normal buttons come over natively, and display correctly from Windows. But all of the Axis controlls (Wammy bar, mode selector, and Overdrive tilt sensor) work using another protocol, and require the application to have specific rights to access those inputs. I put two and two together and figured I needed to start Rockband VR with administrative rights, however you can't do this on a per game basis, since the games are launched from Oculus, so starting Oculus with administrative rights was the next best thing.

I've updated by Harmonix support ticket with the resolution, so hopefully they can figure something out in a patch.
    edited March 28
    Vash744 said:

Guys, I think I found the fix. I made a comment on Sunday of all the things I had done, not sure if that stuff still needs to be done to get it working (updating drivers)....

...But I was able to make everything work by closing the Oculus software entirely, then right-clicking the Oculus Icon ->"Run As Administrator". (To be clear my guitar was already paired, and ready to go). Then I just opened the Rockband VR application, and everything started working.

(Should also be mentioned I also uninstalled/reinstalled Rockband VR, but I assume the only thing that is needed is to set "Run As Administrator" to get it all working.

From what I read up online, and as some of you have found out, the normal buttons come over natively, and display correctly from Windows. But all of the Axis controlls (Wammy bar, mode selector, and Overdrive tilt sensor) work using another protocol, and require the application to have specific rights to access those inputs. I put two and two together and figured I needed to start Rockband VR with administrative rights, however you can't do this on a per game basis, since the games are launched from Oculus, so starting Oculus with administrative rights was the next best thing.

I've updated by Harmonix support ticket with the resolution, so hopefully they can figure something out in a patch.

Unfortunately, this did not work for me. I opened the Oculus desktop app as Admin, and then once that was open I went straight to the RBVR.exe file location and opened that as Admin. Still no whammy support. I had a lot of hope there, for a second.
  • Vash744 said:

Guys, I think I found the fix. I made a comment on Sunday of all the things I had done, not sure if that stuff still needs to be done to get it working (updating drivers)....

Unfortunately, this did not work for me. I opened the Oculus desktop app as Admin, and then once that was open I went straight to the RBVR.exe file location and opened that as Admin. Still no whammy support. I had a lot of hope there, for a second.
    Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling Rockband VR inside Oculus?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file