PS4 Rock Band 4 Guitar Whammy bar not working with Rock Band VR

Comments

• Vash744 said:

Guys, I think I found the fix. I made a comment on Sunday of all the things I had done, not sure if that stuff still needs to be done to get it working (updating drivers)....

...But I was able to make everything work by closing the Oculus software entirely, then right-clicking the Oculus Icon ->"Run As Administrator". (To be clear my guitar was already paired, and ready to go). Then I just opened the Rockband VR application, and everything started working.

(Should also be mentioned I also uninstalled/reinstalled Rockband VR, but I assume the only thing that is needed is to set "Run As Administrator" to get it all working.

From what I read up online, and as some of you have found out, the normal buttons come over natively, and display correctly from Windows. But all of the Axis controlls (Wammy bar, mode selector, and Overdrive tilt sensor) work using another protocol, and require the application to have specific rights to access those inputs. I put two and two together and figured I needed to start Rockband VR with administrative rights, however you can't do this on a per game basis, since the games are launched from Oculus, so starting Oculus with administrative rights was the next best thing.

I've updated by Harmonix support ticket with the resolution, so hopefully they can figure something out in a patch.

Unfortunately, this did not work for me. I opened the Oculus desktop app as Admin, and then once that was open I went straight to the RBVR.exe file location and opened that as Admin. Still no whammy support. I had a lot of hope there, for a second.
    I didn't have to run Rockband VR under admin, only the Oculus application. I wouldn't recommend opening oculus games under their exe. The Oculus App could be applying special parameters that might not run using only the EXE
  • QwedgeonlineQwedgeonline Unsigned
    edited March 28
    Vash744 said:

Vash744 said:

Guys, I think I found the fix. I made a comment on Sunday of all the things I had done, not sure if that stuff still needs to be done to get it working (updating drivers)....

...But I was able to make everything work by closing the Oculus software entirely, then right-clicking the Oculus Icon ->"Run As Administrator". (To be clear my guitar was already paired, and ready to go). Then I just opened the Rockband VR application, and everything started working.

(Should also be mentioned I also uninstalled/reinstalled Rockband VR, but I assume the only thing that is needed is to set "Run As Administrator" to get it all working.

From what I read up online, and as some of you have found out, the normal buttons come over natively, and display correctly from Windows. But all of the Axis controlls (Wammy bar, mode selector, and Overdrive tilt sensor) work using another protocol, and require the application to have specific rights to access those inputs. I put two and two together and figured I needed to start Rockband VR with administrative rights, however you can't do this on a per game basis, since the games are launched from Oculus, so starting Oculus with administrative rights was the next best thing.

I've updated by Harmonix support ticket with the resolution, so hopefully they can figure something out in a patch.

Unfortunately, this did not work for me. I opened the Oculus desktop app as Admin, and then once that was open I went straight to the RBVR.exe file location and opened that as Admin. Still no whammy support. I had a lot of hope there, for a second.
    Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling Rockband VR inside Oculus?
    I haven't, but I guess I've got the time to do it. I'll also try just running rbvr.exe plain and let you know how that goes once this is done reinstalling.
  • Vash744 said:

Vash744 said:

I didn't have to run Rockband VR under admin, only the Oculus application. I wouldn't recommend opening oculus games under their exe. The Oculus App could be applying special parameters that might not run using only the EXE
    Just got done with the install, ran as Admin, no whammy. :neutral:
  • Anyone have any new news to report? It's been 5 days since I've been able to play.
  • I'm probably just gonna buy the PS4 Jaguar if this goes unsolved. I hear it's a better guitar controller anyway.
  • I'm probably just gonna buy the PS4 Jaguar if this goes unsolved. I hear it's a better guitar controller anyway.

I am having the same issue with the jaguar and the stratocaster both for PS4. Hopefully you will have better luck.
  • QwedgeonlineQwedgeonline Unsigned
    edited March 30

I'm probably just gonna buy the PS4 Jaguar if this goes unsolved. I hear it's a better guitar controller anyway.

I am having the same issue with the jaguar and the stratocaster both for PS4. Hopefully you will have better luck.
    Well, dang. And I'm not paying $100+ for the Xbox one, that's for sure.

You're having whammy issues on the Jag?

Yeah same thing with both of them. I can load the game fine and they connect fine. Everything works but the whammy bar.
  • SindagonSindagon Unsigned
    So, I finally got this thing working. Your tips really helped. So I tried uninstallen/reinstalling the game, did not help. Tried reconnecting the guitar, installing and deinstalling bluetooth software, all did not work. Then I read here to run ocolus home as administrator. So I richt click the shortcut, and say run as administrator. Did not help. What did work was this:

I right clicked the short cut of oculus home, then properties. Then I went to the compatibility tab. Here I checked the box "run as administrator". Below that, there was also a button that said: change settings for all users. I did this and also checked the box "run this program as administrator" there. Thise worked!!!

Unfortunatly no time to play now anymore. but tomorrow its time to rock!

Yeah same thing with both of them. I can load the game fine and they connect fine. Everything works but the whammy bar.
    Well, I got the Jag anyway (it's a nicer guitar) and it doesn't work. Now I'm even more disappointed.
  • rwoodrrwoodr Unsigned
    Sindagon said:

rwoodr said:

As an update. I moved my bluetooth adaptor to a different usb controller, updated the drivers for the adaptor (a asus USB-BT400) and restarted. When I went back into rockband VR, the effect switch and whammy bar are now working properly. This does appear to be a windows/bluetooth side issue not a controller/rockband issue if my problems are anything to gauge by. YMMV

did you move from a USB 3.0 to a USB 2.0 by any change? or a case USB connection to a on board connection? any info would be nice :)

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I moved from my desktop tower's front usb 3.0 (which is connected to my asrock z87 mobo by a header pin connector) to a pci express usb card instead (a Inateck Superspeed 7 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card I got to allow me to connect my rift and 3 camera's) this seemed to do the trick for me.

I can confirm when it was not working that the windows controller utility showed that the effects switch and whammy bar where not functional while every other button responded in the utility properly.

Very odd behavior indeed. Since I made my swap, have had zero issues using the guitar with my system even after several reboots since.
  • Hi everyone,

Just to chime in here, it's very likely your USB controller is the culprit. I have the PS4 Guitar with Windows 7 and Intel USB 2.0/3.0 controllers on the motherboard. Using the onboard USB caused all kinds of problems with the Rift - "popping" sound in games, sound dropping out completely, and in RockBand VR, the guitar would "miss" notes during play (although the wammy bar did work).

Based on the advice from Oculus, I bought the Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, and now all these problems are gone (the headset, cameras, and bluetooth dongle are now all connected to the Inateck card). I don't know if Inateck just uses the latest USB spec or what magic they have, but for $23 I would recommend it to anyone having issues.

Let's test the theory - does anyone here having wammy bar issues have the Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card with their Bluetooth dongle plugged into that card?

BTW - Thanks to everyone at Harmonix for the great game! Looking forward to awesome DLC! :)
  • Hi everyone,

Just to chime in here, it's very likely your USB controller is the culprit. I have the PS4 Guitar with Windows 7 and Intel USB 2.0/3.0 controllers on the motherboard. Using the onboard USB caused all kinds of problems with the Rift - "popping" sound in games, sound dropping out completely, and in RockBand VR, the guitar would "miss" notes during play (although the wammy bar did work).

Based on the advice from Oculus, I bought the Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, and now all these problems are gone (the headset, cameras, and bluetooth dongle are now all connected to the Inateck card). I don't know if Inateck just uses the latest USB spec or what magic they have, but for $23 I would recommend it to anyone having issues.

Let's test the theory - does anyone here having wammy bar issues have the Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card with their Bluetooth dongle plugged into that card?

BTW - Thanks to everyone at Harmonix for the great game! Looking forward to awesome DLC! :)

I doubt this is the problem. The whammy bar also doesn't work on my Mac, which has built-in Bluetooth, and therefore, I don't even use a USB dongle. Of course, you can't play the game on the Mac, but my point is that it's not limited to just Windows, so I can't verify that USB is the issue.
  • -I unpaired the controller
    -I updated the firmware for the PS4 guitar
    -I went to device manager and deleted the bluetooth drivers, then scanned for hardware changes and re-installed them
    -I repaired the controller
    -I launched Oculus home as admin

Didn't work

-Rebooted

Works like a charm now

I have no idea which part of the changes above fixed it. I suspect it's the last part (running home as admin)

Weird freaking error. Seems likely there's a software side fix.
  • Had the exact same issues with the not working whammy bar. Absolutely nothing seemed to fix the problem (unpairing/re-pairing the guitar-controller, uninstalling/reinstalling the BT-dongle, updating the guitar controller's firmware.......)
    Then I remembered long forgotten issues I had with another USB-device a while back where it turned out that my USB-keyboard somehow interfered with that USB-device.
    I just unplugged my USB-keyboard and the whammy-bar instantly began to work like a charm. I wouldn't be surprised if the solution for all you guys here who also tried everything to no avail and are still facing the "whammy-bar" problem is also a conflict with another USB device.
    In my case switching the USB-keyboard from one of the MoBo's rear USB-ports to one of the tower's front USB-ports also lets me use the USB keyboard while also using the guitar controller (working whammy bar included).
  • New 1.01 patch release was done today. Did it fix your issues?
  • spineraptorspineraptor Unsigned
    Chiming in to say I have the problem of my PS4 Rockband 4 Strat whammy bar and switch not working too.

I've tried all the fixes I've found online and got it working once, but I've been unable to replicate the steps to get it working again, I've been trying for days and it's just exhausting.
    Tried a bunch of different bluetooth dongles, drivers, USB ports, extenders, it's just not working.

Really wish I could give the game a try past the tutorial.

• I've tried all the fixes I've found online and got it working once, but I've been unable to replicate the steps to get it working again, I've been trying for days and it's just exhausting.
    Tried a bunch of different bluetooth dongles, drivers, USB ports, extenders, it's just not working.

If you didn't try it already you should unplug every other connected USB device before launching Rock Band VR. If the whammy bar should work plug in the other devices one by one. Launch Rock Band VR every time you plug in another USB device so you are able to identify which USB device is causing the conflict.....

• tdondich said:

New 1.01 patch release was done today. Did it fix your issues?

No, it did not.

What fixed my issues was running out to Gamestop and purchasing the Xbox One Jaguar. Disappointed I had to buy another guitar, but it works.
  • spineraptorspineraptor Unsigned
    lohan said:

I've tried all the fixes I've found online and got it working once, but I've been unable to replicate the steps to get it working again, I've been trying for days and it's just exhausting.

If you didn't try it already you should unplug every other connected USB device before launching Rock Band VR. If the whammy bar should work plug in the other devices one by one. Launch Rock Band VR every time you plug in another USB device so you are able to identify which USB device is causing the conflict.....

I've already tried all that, but not dice. Thanks for the reply anyways though!

Yesterday I installed my Oculus on a different PC and tried RockBand VR on it, same issue with the PS4 Fender
    Tried a friends PS4 Fender...but nothing, same issue.

I remember I had a RB3 Fender in storage and tried that. It works with it's dongle, whammy bar and switch and all.
    Sadly it isn't a solution for me as after a few minutes in the game having the PS3 dongle plugged in makes the game slow down to chug stutter and lock up. Super strange.

Still looking for a fix for the bluetooth controller. :/
  • mmackinmmackin Unsigned
    edited April 10
    I'm having the same issue with the PS4 Madcatz guitar, it not seeing the Whammy axis control. I know this is a Windows 10/Bluetooth issue. So for the hell of it, I grabbed my 2008 (almost 10 years old) Rock Band 2 PS3 Fender guitar with the USB dongle. I plug the dongle into the PC, and the guitar works flawlessly in Rock Band VR.
    P.s. No wonder Madcatz went bankrupt.
  • My Madcatz Xbox Strat works pretty well. ;-)
  • I fixed it. After pairing the guitar I disabled my bluetooth and waited for the guitar to turn off. I then turned on bluetooth and the guitar and it works.
  • I had the whammy bar issue as well.
    Fix: try unplugging your keyboard and then starting the game.
    Worked for me and I tried all the other work arounds.
  • I hope that this can help someone as I was at my wit's end and ready to ask for a refund when I came across someone on another forum mentioning unplugging the xbox controller from the pc. I use a wireless xbox one wireless adapter so i thought i'd try that. I simply unplugged the xbox one wireless adapter and started oculus as administrator and it works perfectly now. That is really all I did. I had tried all the "solutions" and nothing worked except this small detail. I hope it helps you guys. (For reference i was using a ps4 jag on a bluetooth usb dongle.
  • Hello, I also bought the ps4 guitar (amazon bundle) and had issues with the whammy bar...the only thing I tried and it worked right away was disconnecting my keyboard/mouse. I am using a roccat sova & Kova ... upon disconnecting them the whammy bar worked immediately. FYI I have to leave them disconnected while I use the guitar for the whammy bar to work.