'Checking Setlist...'

edited May 12 in Rock Band
No one's favorite bug. It's no fun and quite random. We're trying our super best to nail it down, but in-house reproductions are proving difficult. Several avenues have proven unfruitful. So, having previously gathered specific info to tackle a few ideas, we're now blasting it open to more information. We don't TECHNICALLY need all of this from everyone, but the more the better so we can find common threads. Chipping in with existing info(NOTHING vague please, 'a lot' of DLC isn't something we can categorize), or even making a point to keep an eye on your next session, all super helpful and great. Thanks!

1) Is anyone tethering and/or running with low bandwidth? Both the leader and remote player(s)
A:

2) Are you connected via wired connection or wi-fi connection?
A:

3) How much DLC do they have installed, exact quantity(remember, the app still isn't the best at having a real number)? Are people without DLC installed seeing this?
A:

4) How many players are in the session? (2, 3, 4) Does it happen more with more players in the session?
A:

5) What is your NAT type: Strict, Moderate, Open (both leader and remote players)
A:

6) Does it correct itself if they leave the session and create a new one? Does it occur when they start the session or can it happen later in the session (after playing a few sets)?
A:

7) Who throws away their song to make it work? The leader? Anyone? More than one person?
A:

Eight) What is the song selection when the error occurs? All 2-4 songs in order, denoting which the leader chose, please.
A:

9) Where is everyone geographically located? Please make a special note of which user is the leader here.
A:

10) Any other network information you may provide. Streaming your session? Someone else in your house watching Netflix?
A:

11) If possible, please attach a video of this issue happening.
A:

Comments

• Printing this out to keep track. Thanks for doing this too! <3 @Harmonix
  • Too bad there's not a <3 this post option.

Thanks @HMXOwl !!! Don't (ever) be afraid that you admitted there was a problem. With your fans, you need to communicate and be honest and I think you've done that really well here.

Way better than waiting for it to come and bite you on the Otherside.

Your bug report format is really good, too. I'll try and document the next time this happens.
  • Totally support this! Never had that bug happen to me, but if it does I'll be sure to report using this form!

BTW... Why is question #8 written as "Eight)"? lol
  • edited March 25
    Tyrus1235 said:

Totally support this! Never had that bug happen to me, but if it does I'll be sure to report using this form!

BTW... Why is question #8 written as "Eight)"? lol

To interrupt - otherwise it'd be 8)

ETA: I thought that'd make a funny smiley but it didn't. Sad. :disappointed:
  • SideshowNSideshowN Rising Star
    I play in a full band every weekend and this "checking setlist" happens everytime. Half of us are located on the west coast US and half are located on the east coast US. We have all switched being host but that doesn't seem to fix it. All of us have 1500+ DLC. Not sure about NAT type and if we are wired or wireless(would have to ask everyone about that). Most of the time we can only pick 1-3 songs in a setlist. Sometimes we can get 4 songs setlists to work if we all give up song choice and re add song choice in a random order. This bug is incredibly frustrating and I don't know what else I can say that would help to tackle it.

I would also like to add that the character intro's videos before a band starts playing a setlist is cool but should only be played once after a band exits the green room into the song selection area. If a band remains in the song selection area, there is no need to play the character intro videos before each setlist starts. When playing multiple setlists, the character intro videos become annoying.

Another issue I have encountered is during gameplay when a band mate misses one note, their combo meter doesn't reset and continues to show X4 or X6 even though their combo did break on their own screen(like it should). Minor bug but it still should be addressed.

The main thing is this "checking setlist" bug that just brings down the whole experience for everybody. I'm glad to see there is a thread on this issue because it's been happening ever since online started back in January. Let's get this fixed!
  • AkuryuAkuryu Rising Star
    edited March 31
    1) Is anyone tethering and/or running with low bandwidth? Both the leader and remote player(s)
    A: I'm not. Can't speak for the people I play with. Will ask next time it occurs and edit this post.

2) Are you connected via wired connection or wi-fi connection?
    A: Wired. 150Mbps cable. (speed test results typically fall between 135-155Mbps)

3) How much DLC do they have installed, exact quantity(remember, the app still isn't the best at having a real number)? Are people without DLC installed seeing this?
    A: I have 2295 songs.

4) How many players are in the session? (2, 3, 4) Does it happen more with more players in the session?
    A: I've seen it occur with 3 and 4 person groups. I don't have as much experience playing with only 1 other person. The times I have, it worked fine. I personally have not seen it occur with a 2 person group.

Edit: This happened last night in a 3 person group.

5) What is your NAT type: Strict, Moderate, Open (both leader and remote players)
    A: Mine is open. No clue about the folks I play with. Can ask next time it occurs and edit this post.

Edit: In my group last night, everyone had open NAT.

6) Does it correct itself if they leave the session and create a new one? Does it occur when they start the session or can it happen later in the session (after playing a few sets)?
    A: It seems fairly random. I've seen it start from the get-go. I've seen it start an hour into a play session. I've played for hours and not seen it occur at all. Sometimes ending the session and starting a new one fixes it (temporarily). Sometimes it doesn't.

7) Who throws away their song to make it work? The leader? Anyone? More than one person?
    A: Me. Always. I'm very rarely ever the leader. Usually get invited. When the glitch occurs, if I manually give up my song choice, everyone else can select their songs and the setlist will start normally.

Eight) What is the song selection when the error occurs? All 2-4 songs in order, denoting which the leader chose, please.
    A: I'll have to note this next time it happens and edit this post. I've had it happen with tons of different songs though. Once it starts, changing to different songs does not fix it.

Edit: In my 3-person band last night, the first setlist was Panic Attack, 3's and 7's and Scream Aim Fire in that order. Got the bug. 3's and 7's was my pick. I gave it up and the other 2 went through just fine. For the remainder of the session I gave up my song choice and the bug never occured again.

9) Where is everyone geographically located? Please make a special note of which user is the leader here.
    A: I'm in Louisiana. Not usually the leader. Next time it occurs I'll ask where folks are from and edit this post.

Edit: In a 3-person band last night having this issue. I am in the States. The other two players were in the UK.

10) Any other network information you may provide. Streaming your session? Someone else in your house watching Netflix?
    A: I never stream, but I often play with people who do. Nobody else in my house is using the internet for anything.

11) If possible, please attach a video of this issue happening.
    A: I'll record it next time and edit this post.
  • I've only seen this in full bands. The way we 'fixed' it was by alternating who gives up a song choice. Only picking 3 worked every time I think. We also tried switching hosts a few times with limited success. It's been at least 2 weeks since we've had this problem.

Me and a close buddy have a lot of DLC(1,500 to 2,000) and very fast internet speeds with open NAT. Although most people I play with have plenty of DLC, I'm not sure what connections they have.
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    I had this with my buddy last night after multiple sets.
    I was hosting, he gave up his choice and it worked.
    I ended the session, had a bit of trouble getting back into the Green Room, then it worked again.

I'm wireless and it only occurred once, but it does happen with only 2 people.
  • I have had this happen in 2, 3 and 4 people bands. Since the dashboard update it seems to happen A LOT less. For instance last night, when this error did occur, we (*cough-I-cough*) would delete my pick and the other 3 songs would work. Happened about 3 out of 12+ sets. Was RB3 songs, DLC and RB2 iirc. 3 players in US (WI-me-the leader, IN, NV) and 1 in Japan. All Hardwired. I was streaming though and using Wi-Fi on my phone. Collective DLC was at ~850 (me 1700+, Gtar 1500+, Bass 1500+, Mic ALL DLC). Think my NAT is restricted and I don't know about the other 3. Once I'm in the greenroom I never back out though.

Seems to be getting better *as-in happening less* :)
  • Use RB4's in-game invite and join system and this problem becomes minimal/tolerable on XB1. Use the dashboard to join, and you're in a world of hell.
    In a full band tonight having a hard time with this glitch. Some sets were so bad we could only get 1 song to go through. One of the band members turned off the "hide 1 star songs" filter and suddenly we could play full setlists. I am not claiming this is a fix. This glitch is very random. Could have been a complete coincidence. Just thought I'd mention it.
    edited April 17
    Something interesting me and a friend discovered with this glitch. Recorded it.

We were getting "Checking Setlist" every time. I scrolled to the song she selected and waited for the preview to load. Without fail, as soon as the audio preview begins "Checking Setlist" went away and we can start the set. Not saying this is the issue for everyone, or that it would work for everyone. I don't know how or even if it would apply to 3 or 4 person bands.
  • ZenzukiZenzuki Unsigned
    ^^ Looks like a promising start to a solution!

Next time I have this issue (and it happens every time), I will employ this trick to see if it works!

Nice find Akuryu :wink:
  • edited April 19
    Yesss @Akuryu I found that out as well last night. Even just scrolling past the song that wasn't working would make 'checking set-list' disappear. 4 song set lists woohooo :)

p.s. Nice songs in common :o :)
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    So does just the leader need to scroll past each selected song, or does everyone in the band need to do it too?

This development should interest @AndyTheIndigoer
    In my case, I was the leader and only I had to do it. It was only a 2 person band though. Don't know in a 4 man group.
  • Would be interesting to see this in larger bands. It's like the game can't figure it out until everybody has confirmed to the leader that they have the song by scrolling over it. :-X
    edited April 20
    Scrolling to the other player's songs worked in yet another band last night (with different friends). Was able to play full setlists all night. Sometimes merely scrolling past the song did it. A few times I had to wait for the song preview to start playing. Sometimes only I (as the leader) had to do it. Other times all players in the group had to do it. My guess is one person/song is stuck and it's just about finding which ones.
  • I forgot to mention that I was in a 3-4 person band and I was the host the whole time. Simply scrolling past the song was working for me the other night. We all were in the US, idk if that matters? Will report back after tonights jam session. :) Seems like they/we're getting somewhere with this, woohoo!!
  • edited April 20
    Okay, setlist error to report here....

I don't have all the info @HMXOwl needs, but I'll let everybody know what I do have...
    • Console: XB1
    • Connection: Ethernet over Power. I haven't had any reliability issues with it until the setlist issue, though. Ping is < 20ms, max download 50 Mbps, max upload 10 Mbps.
    • Player status: Playing as band leader. Part: Vocals
    • Bandmates: A bass and a guitar. Unknown network connectivity for them.
    • My NAT type: Moderate
    Extended description: We were selecting DLC to play (my selection went in second), and when the third selection was done and I tried to start, the doomful error came up. Unfortunately because I'm so impatient, I immediately canceled the selection and picked a disc song, which it was fine with. The other two players' DLC went in fine, as well.
    Come on, Andy, try the work-around fix! We are trying to get info for HMX that will help them zero-in on the root cause.
    I'll be on jamming later today and will be anxiously awaiting the dreaded "CS" error!

I will be immediately attempting the "scroll to song" work-around to see if it also works for me and my little band!

Fingers crossed, as the only way we've been able to sort this crap has been giving up one or more songs (usually more) or all of us going back to the dashboard and re-loading the game! :cry:

And that has REALLY been killing any desire to play this game online with my buds! So if this work-around actually works for us, Ima shed a damn tear or two of joy! haha

As an aside: Please please please add back either "party shuffle" (like RB3), introduce "Shows mode" for online play or simply lift the "one song per player" restriction. Why we even have that in place when the mode doesn't have matchmaking is dumbfounding, since we are playing with our friends and wont come across the issues that the "one song" thing was suppose to correct!

Because this whole... play four songs (if we're lucky with the error), then re-select (watch band intros-again), play four songs (if we're lucky with the error), then re-select (watch band intros-again), play four songs (if we're lucky with the error), then re-select (watch band intros-again)... loop is also very painful and has definately put me and others I know off of playing online as much as we'd like too (and used too).

Now that RBVR and such are released, we're gonna need you guys at HMX to return to giving some love to your flagship title! It's been a while since we've seen or heard about where we're headed on these stagnant seas we've found ourselves adrift on for far too long now! :sweat:
    Zenzuki said:

Because this whole... play four songs (if we're lucky with the error), then re-select (watch band intros-again), play four songs (if we're lucky with the error), then re-select (watch band intros-again), play four songs (if we're lucky with the error), then re-select (watch band intros-again)... loop is also very painful and has definately put me and others I know off of playing online as much as we'd like too (and used too).

Oddly enough, "play 4 songs, re-select 4 more and start again" was by far the most frequent way I played RB3 online.
  • Come on, Andy, try the work-around fix! We are trying to get info for HMX that will help them zero-in on the root cause.

Oh how I wish I could solve every bug that comes up. Despite all the fancy computing and data analysis I do for a living, I work mostly on solving the social problems that computers and other fancy gadgets create.

This one's creating social problems, but it's a purely tech bug and not a usability bug, so I'm a bit short on words on how to fix it. Anyways, the next time I observe it, I'm going to tell all my SOMP partners to run through tech error testing.

This situation is way better, anyways, than trying to "reproduce the problem" when the problem is your parachute not opening. XD
    It doesn't require an analysis by you. Just scroll through the selected songs the next time you get the error and report back. :)
  • It doesn't require an analysis by you. Just scroll through the selected songs the next time you get the error and report back. :)

You're talking to an absent-minded professor here. Remembering to scroll through the selected songs, telling my SOMP-mates to do the same, and remembering everything that happened is "deep qualitative analysis" for me.
    OK, an update!

Last play session had the "bug" rear it's ugly face pretty quickly!

No problem, I'll just implement the little scroll fix and we'l..... DOH!

Didn't work! Now we had three (not two) people in the band, so I'm not sure if that means anything or not. But no amount of scrolling by any of us was working as described above! :cry:

Back to the drawing board for my crew I guess.

C'mon HMX, let's see a fix pretty please's and warmest thank-you's!
  • @zenzuki Are you sitting on the song and waiting for the 'preview' of the selected song to start playing? Just simply scrolling over the song(s) won't work *at least for me it doesn't*.
    I was well into the bottle by the time we got going so I don't recall. :tongue: Will try again next time, and be sure to pause until playback starts.