Streaming takes hit. . .

ZenzukiZenzuki Unsigned
So with the recent XBO update and "BEAM" taking over streaming duties from Twitch, it appears we can no longer stream our RB gameplay from the XBox? This is unfortunate as unlike the glitchy mess that streaming from the xbox to Twitch was, streaming to Beam (in the other games I've tried) is super easy and the streams audio & video is flawless!

Was getting ready to undo all my external DVR equipment that I use to properly stream RB, until I tested trying to stream RB from the xbox dashboard and finding out its restricted!?! As bad as the xbox/twitch connection was, at least we could stream our gameplay.

What's the deal HMX? Is this something that can be looked into?

Now that we're finally getting our bands back together with the re-introduction of online play, you take our streaming away?!?

C'mon HMX. . . Get with Beam and sort this out pretty Please and Thank you!

Comments

• ZenzukiZenzuki Unsigned
    ^^^ Hey if a little Beam'll help them out. . .

I say go for it HMX! :sunglasses:

On the serious tho, let us stream your game guys! It keeps your name/game out there!
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    I'm assuming if it's restricted, it's because of music licensing. It's the same reason you could never record video of RB4. I believe streaming was never allowed on PS4 to begin with for the same reason (or maybe you could stream w/o audio? Any PS4 user wanna clarify?)

My point is, there's probably nothing that can be done about it.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    tdc002 said:

I'm assuming if it's restricted, it's because of music licensing. It's the same reason you could never record video of RB4. I believe streaming was never allowed on PS4 to begin with for the same reason (or maybe you could stream w/o audio? Any PS4 user wanna clarify?)

When I tried to stream RB4 pre-release (after the embargo was lifted) on PS4, the stream was muted, but they fixed that in a patch.
  • RaccoonaticRaccoonatic Unsigned
    edited March 28
    Beam is totally going to replace Twitch? I thought it was just going to be another option. I watch Twitch on my XB1 all the time when I play games on PC. And I do stream Rock Band 4 sometimes. I'm new-ish to doing it and I don't use mic/self cam, but I still like to do it. (I once did an 85 song, 6 hour setlist stream with only a minute or two of break here and there)
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    Zenzuki said:

^^^ Hey if a little Beam'll help them out. . .

I say go for it HMX! :sunglasses:

On the serious tho, let us stream your game guys! It keeps your name/game out there!

If someone tells me to get with Beam I do as Leo does!
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith

Beam is totally going to replace Twitch? I thought it was just going to be another option. I watch Twitch on my XB1 all the time when I play games on PC. And I do stream Rock Band 4 sometimes. I'm new-ish to doing it and I don't use mic/self cam, but I still like to do it. (I once did an 85 song, 6 hour setlist stream with only a minute or two of break here and there)

Beam is Microsoft's service, right? That would explain the apparent replacement.
  • edited March 28
    I'm confused here.... My live streams have never been 'muted' while I was live-broadcasting it. The re-play will always have the songs muted that "Audio for portions of this video has been muted as it appears to contain copyrighted content owned or controlled by a third party." But that's only on the archived broadcasts (replay).

Just checked and my friends are streaming from the Xbox one right now, with no issues.
  • @ohNOitsLYNCHO The update isn't live for everyone, I think it's preview program only so I guess this'll end up being a situation like how in summer 2013 those who were in the 360 update beta had issues buying RBN songs meanwhile those not in the beta were unaffected.
  • You get copyright notices when you stream, but usually the audio works correctly broadcasting from PS4 share button.
  • @ohNOitsLYNCHO The update isn't live for everyone, I think it's preview program only so I guess this'll end up being a situation like how in summer 2013 those who were in the 360 update beta had issues buying RBN songs meanwhile those not in the beta were unaffected.

@grumblevolcano ahhh yes I forgot @Zenzuki is in dash-board preview program.

Sooo this is going to make streaming on the Xbox-1 with RB useless now? That's dumb!
  • LoopyChew said:

Beam is Microsoft's service, right? That would explain the apparent replacement.
    Yeah. It is Microsoft's service and I knew it was being developed. I just did not expect a complete replacement of Twitch. For instance, they have Microsoft's music service thing as an app but they also have Pandora and other music apps. I had just thought you could choose to download and use the Beam app when it released, if you wanted, not that it would be the only choice for streaming on XB1.
  • tdc002 said:

If it is restricted because of licensing, why were people able to broadcast it before now?
  • edited March 28
    btw...when i saw the headline, i couldn't help but think of this...

• AkuryuAkuryu Rising Star
    As far as I know, Twitch will still be an option on Xbox even after the next update. Beam isn't replacing it... it's just another option. Disappointing to hear Beam won't allow Rock Band streaming, but with Twitch still being there I don't see a problem.
  • Akuryu said:

As far as I know, Twitch will still be an option on Xbox even after the next update. Beam isn't replacing it... it's just another option. Disappointing to hear Beam won't allow Rock Band streaming, but with Twitch still being there I don't see a problem.

Ah, ok. That's what I thought. I'll stick with Twitch for Rock Band, then. Might try Beam for some of the other games I play, though.
  • I'd be surprised if Twitch is completely replaced on XB1, Microsoft does not need huge backlash (which that would cause) going into E3. Sony would tear them apart (again), maybe even Nintendo as they want Splatoon 2 to be esports so Twitch for Switch would make sense.
  • You get copyright notices when you stream, but usually the audio works correctly broadcasting from PS4 share button.

I've streamed to twitch and more recently YouTube. I only get issues when it gets archived then the bots get their copyright claims. I've had one video muted that's about it over on the PS4
  • Thanks for confirming @GLaDOS, good to know.

That is good to know! I didn't dig into the settings to see if I could by-pass Beam. Just that MS made it the default and after I actually used it to stream another game for like 8 hours, found it was perfect.

Then tried Rb and got bummed!

I will sort out switching it back to Twitch. Still sucks, because for me, Beam streams so much better. My RB twitch streams work sometimes, but mostly just become a audio hitching mess with the sound not working correctly that I just don't bother doing it through the xbox (thus using my DVR equipment outside of the xbox).

Would be nice if they'd just allow Beam to stream RB like you can through Twitch. Then people could just decide which program they prefer to stream with.

Choices are always good!
  • Speaking of this update, it's coming to everyone today.

• edited March 29
    ooooh okay cool thanks @GLaDOS

and @Zenzuki Do you have a Kinect plugged in while you're streaming on Xbox? Doesn't matter if you're using it or not, but it will cause your stream to have a audible 'clicking' noise with no other audio. You will need to use an extra controller with a headset pluged in and on mute. Also make sure the controller doesn't shut off, because that dam audible clicking will come right back. Orrrr just unplug the Kinect.
    edited March 30
    OK! So I've done some more digging into this and there is nowhere in the settings to "revert" the broadcasting duties back to Twitch (ala the Cortana/xbox change). I was also unable to "snap" any apps??? (They must be going away from this feature). Trying to "snap twitch" or anything just gave the default... "You can't do that" answer! And simply saying "broadcast this" brings up Beam. I'm beginning to really despise this update already! :angry:

I was able to actually go to the Twitch app and select "broadcast" manually. It used to not allow you to do that unless a game was actively running, and at the time I did it, no games were active. So maybe you could start the Twitch broadcast and then go over and start up RB and it would work. (I ran out of time and couldn't test this last night - will try today).

The Beam app does so many cool things and runs so smoothly, it's just a complete shame that they can't authorize it do the same thing that Twitch is able to do "RIGHT NOW"?!?!?

And Lyncho... I was not aware that the Kinect could be the issue. I will disconnect it tonight when I try to test the "manual" twitch broadcast thing. That audio hitching crap was the whole reason I bought all the DVR equipment in the first place. It was so frustrating trying to simply broadcast my RB gameplay. Thanks for the heads up!

I would love to be able to get back to just easily streaming RB right from the XBO without going to outside equipment, but it seems like that is becoming more and more a pipedream! :disappointed:

@HMX if there is anything you can put in with MS (as you're the RB Devs) to allow Beam to mimic Twitch in its broadcasting abilities, please look into doing so! It can't be a licensing thing, when other apps have the ability to do what this app should be capable of as well!

Help us keep broadcasting your game out to the world HMX!
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    If you start Twitch while a game is booted up then it will have it in a mode similar to when it's snapped.
    But yeah, Snap is a feature that's being phased out in order to speed up the dashboard.
    Testing Complete. . .

So it would seem that Beam has now been instituted as MS's primary "go to" app for streaming. This, as we've already sorted out, does not allow Rock Band streaming at all (at this time). Works great for other games though.
    So GG MS on that! A :cookie: for you all!

As Glados mentioned and I suspected, MS is going away from "snapping" apps. Speeding up dashboard, I guess is as good a reason as any, and as they've not even mentioned this is a thing, we'll go with that.

Now onto Twitch. . .

If you attempt to start a stream before running a game, it will act as if it's broadcasting, but will fail out as soon as you begin a game. So that route failed.

I then started up RB first and once I was at the mode select screen, I "home buttoned" and chose the Twitch app. This popped it into a "snap like" state. From there it worked as it did previously (but better, keep reading). Although once streaming, the little interface at the bottom of screen looked identical to how it's presented while "Beam" streaming. So they must now share a common piece of coding internally for the XBO.

A final check. . .

As to the other thing I wished to check, I wanted to see about the audio "hitching" and it being tied to the Kinect.
    I did the above process to begin streaming, both with and without the Kinect plugged in. And there's good news on that front as well! It worked like a charm, in either instance!!!

Apparently, whatever MS did on the back-end code for this update to account for their Beam app's streaming abilities, has also benefitted other streaming apps (like Twitch). Twitch ran better then I've ever seen it run since I began streaming from it! The low latency enhancements had the stream running in an almost "near real time" state (about a mere 3 second delay for me). In the little over two hours that I streamed RB last night (between Kinect and Kinectless attempts), the video (and more importantly audio) both ran flawlessly! :heart:

Putting it to rest. . .

While I'd prefer that Beam just worked for everything and be the "one stop shop" of streaming on XB now, testing and finding out that Twitch still works (and is actually better then ever), is just as good to me! It does require a little different approach the getting it launched and running, but after a few times of doing it, I'm sure it will become second nature and wont even be a thing any longer.

Hope this info helps put anyone's mind at ease that may have thought (like I did) that we'd not be able to stream RB directly from the dashboard any longer, and that it's all good! :sunglasses:
  • RaccoonaticRaccoonatic Unsigned
    edited March 31
    Thanks for the info.

Well, I always started game, then Twitch, then unsnapped, so the process isn't really that different for me. I do like that the larger (and less transparent) "X Viewers Watching" banner has been replaced with the Beam style one. There was still gameplay-to-broadcast delay for me when I just tested on Twitch.... but I had no lag during the entire test I just did. None. Before this update, I was struggling even at Medium setting with buffering and glitching on one of my games. Totally smooth now. Guess I'll stick to Twitch, then. Beam is quicker to use and has cool features, but I had no one at all watch in the day I used it (people are reluctant to change and I'm not popular enough to succeed as a pioneer on a new platform)
  • TimmoWarnerTimmoWarner Opening Act
    Re: the speed of the XBox One dashboard after the update in general, if you hold the controller button to turn off the console. it pops up immediately now.

No more pressing it and then waiting (sometimes I swear it was 10 seconds or more) for the "turn off console/turn off controller" menu to pop up! It's just there!
  • Re: the speed of the XBox One dashboard after the update in general, if you hold the controller button to turn off the console. it pops up immediately now.

No more pressing it and then waiting (sometimes I swear it was 10 seconds or more) for the "turn off console/turn off controller" menu to pop up! It's just there!

They took out the OS that dealt with the Snap feature, so we now have loads more CPU and RAM to properly run the main OS. Should have been like this from the start!
  • edited April 4
    Anyone on Xbox1 having quality issues and/or disconnecting issues since this dashboard update? I had my stream disconnect 5 times last night. 2 times was from getting a text message and another was from a game invite. The other two just happened while I was typing on my stream. I can't figure out why. Never had this problem before the update. Doesn't matter if my Kinect is plugged-in or not.