Yearly Playlists!

Comments

• I decided to make a YouTube playlist of the missing hits songs I'm listing in case anyone wants easy access to all of them. Here is the link: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHuICcIAZX4JbCXybRfO3dQieNQDuB0sy
  • I have finished 1955, what a year! Rock just keeps growing and this is the year it started to dominate. Johnny Cash, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley and others all made the scene this year. Enjoy!
  • 1956 is finished. Roy Orbison, Carl Perkins, and Jerry Lee Lewis all get their big break! Tons of other stuff was happening this year as well. 42 songs are listed in the missing hits section (keep in mind I limit it to 1 per artist, otherwise I'd have like 9 Elvis songs on there hehe). The YouTube playlist is up to date as well. Enjoy!
  • grimripper82grimripper82 Opening Act
    This is such a cool project. I've been looking through the playlists off and on since you started. I didn't want to muddy up your topic with more comments, so I didn't say anything until now.

I just discovered the google doc you've been working on, and it's really been a blast reading through what you've got to say here. I love 50's rock, and I have quite a bit of those songs in my music collection, and it reading through all of this really brings the history of all that great music to life. Thanks so much for doing this!
  • 1957 is done. This year Buddy Holly and The Everly Brothers enter the picture along with many more. I'll update the playlist later today. Enjoy!
  • @Iamtheplague Shout by The Isley Brothers is coming out as DLC this May.
  • I just finished 1958. Did a whole lot of reading for this one. The original form of rock and roll is beginning to phase out. Pop rock is the name of the game now!

P.S. I am so excited about Shout! :DD
  • Huzzah! With 1959 completed I have covered the first decade of rock! Enjoy the last year of the 50s. :)
  • @Iamtheplague Cool! I wish we get other 50s songs as DLC eventually (Even if it's near impossible).

So, what comes next? Are you going to add Missing Songs for the 1970s or Are you going to add more songs for the 1960s?
  • I will continue in chronological order. The 1960s are on the horizon!
  • Hi guys. Since the 1960s are where rock music starts to really go nuts and get really complicated, I decided to take some preliminary steps to prepare for writing my descriptions and lists. I just completed the first step which was to list the genres of rock in chronological order and to map all of them according to their development.

These two documents are mostly for me, to ensure I don't miss anything important in my descriptions but I thought people may find them interesting/useful so I am attaching them below. I used Word because I found it easier to create the maps than on Google Docs.

The next step is just to do some more research. Rest assured, I will begin on the year 1960 within the next couple of days and I will likely finish that year by Friday.
  • I have finished the year 1960! Motown and Brill Building are starting to develop along with many, many other things! Along with the missing hits list that I always do, I have also included a missing albums list as well. I will be doing this from now on as albums become increasingly important past 1960.

I have also gone through all the songs I've listed and picked out my personal favorites and/or what I think are the most important songs. I went through and did lists of those for each year so if you're interested in a more consolidated list or my opinion (lol) check that out.

I have also updated the 1950s YouTube playlist so it now includes all 344 songs listed for the 1950s. I have started the 1960s playlist as well. The links to both are below.

Main Google Doc Link (so you don't have to go to page 1 on the forums):
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Tl4RGoUmC7dnshp-Ef2Xg_tse5m6uymzWImuQIqyr8E/edit?usp=sharing

My Personal Opinion Lists:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k23cJ5NdIjWh42gFTilgBjnBZuGyL1tUcso20u6Rcl0/edit?usp=sharing

YouTube Playlist for 1949-1959:
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHuICcIAZX4JbCXybRfO3dQieNQDuB0sy

YouTube Playlist for 1960-1969 (currently only 1960):
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHuICcIAZX4KUSHebsZwKikDQ7PnTN7E9
  • After much research, 1961 is complete! More than ever is going on during this time with Soul, Surf, and Beat Music starting to surface. The song lists are getting pretty long because rock music and friends are becoming more and more popular. I'm thinking about putting a cap at 100 songs per list once it gets to that point (I guess probably 1963 or 1964). What do you think? Should I cap it or post as many songs as there should be?

P.S. Both my opinion list and the YouTube playlist have been updated to include 1961.
  • I would suggest doing the 100-song cap once you reach 1964, but I don't mind if you did it at 1963. So, I fine with either.
  • A focused 100 is better than a massive list trying to cover everything!
  • Thanks for the input. :)

I took a little break from researching and did some more of the Rock Band setlists today. I have updated the document to include my setlists for 1985, 1986, and 1987. 1985 and 1986 are a bit low on songs compared to the previous 80s years so I didn't split those lists into two parts but after '86 the number of songs skyrockets again so 1987's is two parts. I think I'm going to finish up to 1990 by tomorrow and then I'll start up on my research again.
  • I have finished the 1988-1990 RB setlists. Sorry it took a little longer than I thought. They've got lot's of great stuff in them though and are all two parts. Enjoy!

P.S. Since I've been adding in songs from Lego Rock Band into my setlists, the time length I give next to the name of each setlist listed is that setlist's length without the Lego Rock Band songs added on. (I can't change this because I personally don't have these songs to check exactly how long they make the setlists). Pretty much any setlist will only have one or maybe two of the L:RB songs though so any given setlist should be no more than around 5-10 minutes longer if you have those songs.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    Rbdb.online has all the song lengths. The RB companion app v2 does too.
  • Rbdb.online has all the song lengths. The RB companion app v2 does too.

Much appreciation for that information. I have finished adding all the L:RB songs that fit with the previous setlists and corrected all the time lengths. :)
  • Well, it turns out I reached that 100 song mark sooner than I thought. I decided to stick to a 100 song limit so some stuff did get left out. I actively tried to ensure that the song list ended up with only songs that either were important to rock music's development and/or are good examples of developing rock genres. This will be the criteria I use from now on when determining what stays on the list. (I really try not to bring my own opinion into it! I am not perfect though so of course take it with a grain of salt. :P)

I will also be placing a 100 album cap on the album list when it gets to that point, probably around 1964. Please note that unlike the song list, I do not listen to all the albums on the list in their entirety because it is unrealistic time-wise. I do listen to a sampling of each album and combine that with my reading research to decide what goes on the list. For my opinions list, I mark the albums that I especially enjoy while going through the larger list (for 1962 it was about 14 out of the 30 listed) and give them a full listen (then I narrow it down from there).

I have finished the year 1962. It is by far the longest yet, showcasing, yet again, how much rock is expanding. Dance crazes, surfing mania, beatsplosion, popapalooza, the soul sensation, and girl groups galore! This year has all this and more and is waiting for your viewing for a simple price of $0.00 just pay viewing and mental processing. I have also updated the YouTube playlist and my own personal opinions list. Based on how long this one took, I estimate 1963 to be done by the Friday after next (not a promise!).

Enjoy!

Sam

P.S. I think you'll probably have noticed by now that not all the songs I list are actually rock, but the songs that are not rock are there because they were influential on rock in some way or another. This rings especially true for soul, blues, and R&B which is why I focus so much on them in my rock development descriptions even though they themselves are separate genres from rock music. (It's also why you see more of them in Rock Band than other genres, for example, Classical.)
  • I just wanted to stop by and say thank you again for undertaking this huge task. I appreciate all the time you are putting into it and feel like I'm learning something too! This trip through music history is quite delightful :)
  • Darn, my prediction was one day off! Well anyway, I'm done with 1963. All sorts of cool and important stuff happened: Surfmania, Beatlemania, Garage Rock gets a hit, mass protest, the British blues boom, and tons more. At this point, it's 20+ pages per year so it's gonna start taking me longer to get these done. I really crushed it on this one but I can't do the next year so quickly so you can probably expect 1964 in 2, maybe 3 weeks (Especially since I'm starting my summer class, Differential Equations this upcoming week! D: ).

As always the YouTube playlist and my personal opinions list have been updated as well. I hope you enjoy! :)

P.S. I'm going to tackle a few more RB setlists (for a change of pace and because the RB setlists don't take anywhere near as long) before starting 1964 so expect 1991-1993 by the end of this upcoming week.
  • Another update! So I decided I would take a break from the rock history and not work on it at all for the past week. That meant I had a lot more time to work on the RB setlists than I thought I would so I have kicked some butt and finished the setlists for 1991 through 2000. I have also gone through the songs for 2001-2017 and narrowed them down to the songs that I will include in those years setlists (though I have not sorted them into their setlist order yet).

While doing all this I developed a looser criteria than I had been using before while making these newer setlists. I think I perhaps had been a bit too limiting on the number of songs included on the setlists in the past. In particular, I had previously been limiting the number of songs to one per artist (with two or three being used on very rare occasions). I began to think this was a bit harsh while working on these newer setlists so I developed a new and more concrete criteria. The new criteria I use for these setlists is as follows.

A song automatically makes the list if it meets one of these three standards:
    • The song was instrumental in some way in the development of rock as a musical genre.
    • The song is extremely popularly successful.
    • The song is universally critically acclaimed.

If the song doesn't meet these standards, it can still make the list if it meets a combination of these less harsh standards (it must be more than one of these to make the list). First, the song is impactful on the development of rock. Second, the song is popular. Third, the song is critically acclaimed.

Songs that are impactful are either innovative technologically in some way, helped pioneered new musical genres, developed new musical techniques, or are related to some important event in history that brought attention to an aspect of rock music. If a song meets this criteria, it doesn't have to be very popular or critically acclaimed to make the list though it still needs to be somewhat known.

Even if an artist has several songs that meet everything above in spades, I am placing a soft limit of three songs per artist on each setlist. An artist can have more than three songs in a year, only for VERY special circumstances. In this case the songs are either part of a really important release like American Idiot, Boston's debut album, etc or each individual song released is so important that it would be silly to leave it off this kind of list. The number of songs per artist under these special circumstances is still limited to five (hard limit).

Because I developed these new standards, it changed what made the newer lists. Mainly, it meant more songs got included (which I think is a good thing). My reasoning behind no longer limiting artists to one or two songs isn't too complicated. I think it better suits a "year in music" kind of feel if certain artists get multiple songs for a particular year. For example, Nirvana was huge in 1993, so why shouldn't that importance be represented on the list (by having more than one song)?

As a result of all this I will be going back and "remastering" the old setlists from 1970 to 1990 to meet the new criteria. I do not expect the setlists from 1970 to 1990 to be altered dramatically. Likely, each will receive around 5 to 10 new songs. I will post an update when all the setlists have been altered. If you preferred the old setlists, I will be keeping a copy of all of them and will post a link to those sometime before I alter them. This should not take very long and I think I will have this done in a week or so.

Finally, though I personally prefer these kinds of more inclusive lists, I know some people probably prefer a more distilled, more exclusive version of what I'm doing. Therefore, I will also be going through all the lists and making a version of each that includes only one song from each artist with no exceptions whatsoever. Those lists will also exclude non-rock songs entirely and will follow a much harsher version of the criteria above for what songs make the list at all. I anticipate this to be done in maybe a month or two.

P.S. I will still be limiting my rock history lists to one song/album per artist though. This is because, unlike the RB setlists, these lists select music from literally thousands if not tens of thousands of songs per year (as opposed to ~10 songs per year to ~150 songs per year in RB). With that much music, and the 100 song limit, I think it's simply unfair, for a genre as wide as rock music, to give any artist more than one song per year (yes, even The Beatles). If an artist is particularly important, that will be reflected in my history descriptions so there is no need to exaggerate on the lists.

P.P.S. All of this does NOT mean I am stopping with my rock history research. I was just taking this one week off from that. I will begin again with that next week and I expect to have 1964 done in about two or three weeks (like I said before).
  • A short update. I've been pretty slow with 1964 so far and I apologize for that. I estimate I'm about 40% done with it currently. As per usual, it will definitely be my longest year yet. I just finished listing the relatively well known garage bands in the U.S. (I listed over 150 bands). Part of what's taking so long is slacking on my part (I admit it!) but it also is a lot of research (I don't just read Wikipedia you know, in fact the list of garage bands I just talked about contains far more bands than Wikipedia's does for 1964 and prior). I'm going to try to work on this more and at least get the description part of 1964 done by the end of the week.

P.S. Since I just finished with the bulk of the garage research part, I thought I might share a cool resource for anyone interested. The site garagehangover.com/ is an awesome resource for anyone interested in the genre. The guy who posts on the site has tons of interesting information about nearly every known garage band. He's done interviews with them, researched them, etc. and has way more information on the site than I could ever put in my work (since my focus is much broader). For further reading, look no further!