Would you pay more for DLC?

tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
edited April 10 in Rock Band
I was thinking about this recently. The price of Rock Band DLC, $1.99/song (at least in the US), was set nearly a decade ago. Just with basic inflation, that $1.99 in 2007 is worth $2.34 today. Basically, would you pay more for DLC if it meant more profit for Harmonix?
(and hopefully more profit would lead to more DLC)

I'd honestly be wiling to pay $2.50-$3 a song.

[EDIT]
Oh dang, I thought I could go back and add a poll afterward, but I must be thinking of the old boards.

Comments

• I would have to really like the song. I'm already cherry picking now as is. (I was buying all for several years but decided I was done doing that a few weeks ago)

• TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited April 10
    I could do $2.50 a song, if it meant we could get 3-4 songs a week as opposed to 1-2. $3 would lead me to only buy the stuff I really want (I'm buying it all right now, even the songs I hate). Any more than $3, and I'd probably pass on most songs.

Studdz... PS4 Canadians are already paying $2.99 per.

I'm aware. But I'm not on PS4, which I'm very happy about.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    There are many songs that I'd pay a little bit more for, or a LOT more for. As long as they used full stems. But I don't expect them to try this option any time soon. As I remember it, they have only tried this a few times in the past, or maybe only once ("Blow at High Dough" - yes, I bought this song).

This model would bring them:
    - More gross revenue per sale
    - Fewer unit sales [because of the higher price]
    - More sales [if the song is extra-awesome, justifying this attempted extra charge]
    - Higher expenses, for the songs they have to pay more to get [maybe this is already happening]
    - Possible backlash ("why are you charging more for this song? Is this a permanent change for all songs? I am angry and confused")

The net result for Harmonix under this model is ambiguous.

Instead they seem to be opting for "charge the same price for songs that are in high demand, even if they have to pay more to get them, and even if they don't use full stems". If you don't notice or care about whether the songs use full stems, then doing this is probably a big win for you. Awesome songs for the same price as before.

Harmonix doesn't share details about their deals with artists, so maybe we have already gotten several or many songs that they had to paid extra in to get. U2? Aerosmith? We'll never know! And then they sell more of these super-popular tracks (at the same price as everything else), and this extra revenue makes up for [or is projected to make up for] the extra price they paid to get the song. But it all sells for the same price: what a nice bonus for us.

[maybe]

tl;dr Harmonix doesn't seem to be using this model, but maybe if they had it wouldn't have made a noticeable difference in DLC sales this year.
  • newfroJDIXnewfroJDIX Rising Star
    Meh. At one point, probably. In RB3, definitely. But I barely ever want to turn RB4 on. Even if it was something like Led Zeppelin or Radiohead, it's not worth it to me to buy at 3 bucks when I may end up playing them 2 or 3 times.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

Studdz... PS4 Canadians are already paying $2.99 per.

But $2.99 Canadian Dollars = $2.23 US Dollars, which is actually just shy of the inflation rate I mentioned earlier.

Back when RB4 was launching, they said they would experiment with DLC prices. The only real "experiment" they did was that Ed Sheeran song that included that other random song for free. I thought maybe they'd switch up how they price packs, but they've basically done away with packs except for once every few months.

• grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited April 10
    @tdc002 Well if you look from the perspective of someone who buys all DLC, there has been more than 1 experiment about DLC prices:
    - Sing + Young Blood for the price of 1 song (which you mentioned)
    - Bad Catholics (free song promotion that is later released as paid DLC for everyone)
    - Singles vs. multi-artist packs (Off the Charts especially)
    - Weeks with no DLC at all (it could be seen as an experiment regarding community's reaction to faster entitlement fixes vs. more new DLC)
    - The reduction to 2 songs a week in summer 2016 (it was called an experiment back in May 2016)
    - Free songs for buying an expansion that can't be obtained any other way (the Rivals songs)
    - RB1, RB2 and LRB Rewind songs
    - DLC weeks with only Rewind songs
    - RB3 Rewind songs

I separated RB3 Rewind from the other rewinds as it gives an idea of who would buy individual RB3 tracks instead of finding some way to get the RB3 export.

The key thing to remember is the plural of DLC is DLC so DLC price experiments can range from price change of a single song all the way to how much someone who buys all DLC would be spending in a week, month, etc.
  • I already pay $2.99. I became a lot more choosy with what songs I will buy when Sony changed the price in Canada. Songs where it would be only for a party setting (it's rare for me to host a party where we play RB these days) or only either me or my wife would like but not both of us are a no purchase now.

That being said, because of the lack of actual new DLC per month (on average it is now only two songs a week, one typically being a rewind) the price increase hasn't caused an increase in amount of money I spend on DLC total per month.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Shhh. I am already disappointed I didn't buy more RB1 and RB2 DLC when they were discounted to $1. Oops.

I have a wishlist of over 100 songs so they better not increase prices, especially without fair notice. Hoping they go the other way and discount the older DLC again. Next time the PlayStation store does a spend $100, get a $15 voucher, I am loading up.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    djb5f1 said:

Shhh. I am already disappointed I didn't buy more RB1 and RB2 DLC when they were discounted to $1. Oops.

Many (all?) of the full albums from the RB1 / RB2 era are still priced at <$1 per song on the Playstation store. Crazy but true!

• djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

djb5f1 said:

Many (all?) of the full albums from the RB1 / RB2 era are still priced at
    Yeah, I only saw a handful of smaller track packs that were still cheaper. I recently bought the ones I wanted like Nirvana Bleach and metal pack with Motörhead and Tenacious D song.

But most everything and all the full albums are full price I believe.

@tdc002 Well if you look from the perspective of someone who buys all DLC, there has been more than 1 experiment about DLC prices:
    - Sing + Young Blood for the price of 1 song (which you mentioned)
    - Bad Catholics (free song promotion that is later released as paid DLC for everyone)
    - Singles vs. multi-artist packs (Off the Charts especially)
    - Weeks with no DLC at all (it could be seen as an experiment regarding community's reaction to faster entitlement fixes vs. more new DLC)
    - The reduction to 2 songs a week in summer 2016 (it was called an experiment back in May 2016)
    - Free songs for buying an expansion that can't be obtained any other way (the Rivals songs)
    - RB1, RB2 and LRB Rewind songs
    - DLC weeks with only Rewind songs
    - RB3 Rewind songs

I separated RB3 Rewind from the other rewinds as it gives an idea of who would buy individual RB3 tracks instead of finding some way to get the RB3 export.

The key thing to remember is the plural of DLC is DLC so DLC price experiments can range from price change of a single song all the way to how much someone who buys all DLC would be spending in a week, month, etc.

First off, the number of people that buy all of the DLC is a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of players. They're not going to base any decision off a demographic that small (because they're just going to buy it anyway).

Second, they literally said pricing experiments. Relicensing old disc songs as DLC, and offering less DLC has absolutely nothing to do with pricing. Multi-artist packs DEFINITELY aren't anything new. You're reaching.

Here's the exact quote:

Rigopulos also revealed that DLC pricing may increase with Rock Band 4, though nothing has been decided yet, and in some cases, prices could actually go down.

“In terms of pricing, [raising is] possible," he said. "My guess is that we'll be doing a number of pricing experiments to see what works for the audience, and what's sustainable."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/rock-band-4-will-have-a-top-tier-soundtrack-what-s/1100-6425754/

• ZigZag2005ZigZag2005 Road Warrior
    I would pay more, but only because my uptake has plummeted to nearly nothing, resulting in a resource surplus.

IOW, I can afford to pay more, because I'm buying so much less.
  • I would pay more for better songs. I would pay $100 for the rest of The Blue Album and Pinkerton which is only 15 songs. Also, I would pay like $50 for a new version of Blitz.

I would pay more, but only because my uptake has plummeted to nearly nothing, resulting in a resource surplus.

IOW, I can afford to pay more, because I'm buying so much less.

Yeah, same here. I've only bought five songs in 2017 (2 Lady Gaga, Cake, Ram Jam, and H&O). This month, I plan on buying 3 of the 5 new songs. That used to be what I bought in a typical week.
  • JStryker47JStryker47 Opening Act
    edited April 10
    No, but I would contribute to a donation pool for a more in-depth customization system like the previous games had.

I would pay more for better songs. I would pay $100 for the rest of The Blue Album and Pinkerton which is only 15 songs. Also, I would pay like $50 for a new version of Blitz.

I'm not sure if I could warrant paying $100 for the rest of Blue Album and Pinkerton, but I could do $50 for sure. I'll second paying $50 for Blitz, especially if a small soundtrack was included like last time.
  • wafflerevolutionwafflerevolution Road Warrior
    I'd pay whatever HMX wanted to charge as long as I like the song or artist... and I'll get on the bandwagon for a new Blitz at any cost.
  • I'd pay whatever HMX wanted to charge as long as I like the song or artist... and I'll get on the bandwagon for a new Blitz at any cost.

Seriously I said it before if they did a FIG campaign for a new Blitz I would easily donate $200-$300. I loved that game that much and I would get that much use out of it.
  • This is an interesting discussion! A while back I had a conversation with my Dad about Rock Band and he thought $2 for a song is too high. I told him it had been that way since it started, but that didn't matter. I tried to argue a song on iTunes is $1 and RB songs require more effort to be playable, but he wasn't having it. Admittedly he is very frugal, but $2 is nothing for the enjoyment you get out of it.

Honestly I'm surprised HMX doesn't charge more given the work they put into it plus licensing costs. I would definitely pay more per song, especially if it meant keeping this train a rollin!

This is an interesting discussion! A while back I had a conversation with my Dad about Rock Band and he thought $2 for a song is too high. I told him it had been that way since it started, but that didn't matter. I tried to argue a song on iTunes is $1 and RB songs require more effort to be playable, but he wasn't having it. Admittedly he is very frugal, but $2 is nothing for the enjoyment you get out of it.

Honestly I'm surprised HMX doesn't charge more given the work they put into it plus licensing costs. I would definitely pay more per song, especially if it meant keeping this train a rollin!

Songs on iTunes aren't even all $1 anymore! haha

I remember way back when Rock Band launched and people complained about the price of DLC being $2 a song (because, like you said, mp3s were typically $1/song). There was some thread saying "If you're willing to pay $3 for a ringtone, why would you ever complain about $2 for a song in Rock Band?!" The whole thing's just hilarious in hindsight because ringtones aren't even a thing anymore.

The way I see it, if I play song more than twice, I got my $2 worth.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    We're already paying $2.95 a song here in Oz. They used to be $2.25. And, remember the days when we had cheaper tracks/RBN that went for 99 cents in the US (they were $1.30 here).

Would I pay more for DLC from artists I wanted (look at my avatar image... hint, hint), yes.

I'd pay up to $3.99 a track for DLC, especially if it meant Harmonix released more of it as well. 2 songs a week a week isn't great, and $3.99 would still be cheaper than Rocksmith's (rip off) price of $4.55 a song here!
  • No.

I have all dlc so HMX gets £1.59 every week from me (x number of songs available). I have ploughed thousands of £ into this game (franchise) over 10 years (as many of you have) and I can think of no other game that pulls that kind of income over that length of time.

The over popularly stated idea by so many of you that HMX are somehow struggling with their income is overstated by those with no connection to HMX. If they don't have the financial clout of yester year it is replaced by their ability to have creative freedom nowadays. It is a trade off & I am not hearing HMX complaining about that.

Tbh, most music is getting very old and it has made millions for the artists over the decades. £1.59 for a single song is way more than the cost of it at its release in the sixties and seventies. Trying to sell old stuff for new money would be a scam in any other industry but our love for music interferes with our financial acumen.

I would pay a little more for one-off projects like The Beatles but that ship has sailed.
  • There's €50 worth of songs in my wishlist, but I'm not buying anything until the stutter/framedrops are fixed. Would I pay more? I think not. Tracks on the Ps3 used to be €1,49 a piece, so a 33% increase should be enough.
  • I think the standard price of $2 should stay pretty much for RB's lifespan. While some would be accepting of a price increase, I think most would react negatively to it. You kind of got a feeling of this when the pre-RB3 DLC sale ended in October 2015 and that DLC was originally $2 but being on sale for 3 years set the expectation of the content being $1.