Would you pay more for DLC?

13

Comments

  • I'll pay 2.50.
  • El ZombieEl Zombie Unsigned
    Nahh, I'm good at the current price.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I paid $3 for more than just Atomic and the Dandy Warhols songs, I paid $3 for plenty of pro guitar/bass upgraded songs! And by plenty, I mean "all but maybe 20".
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    edited April 20

    I paid $3 for more than just Atomic and the Dandy Warhols songs, I paid $3 for plenty of pro guitar/bass upgraded songs! And by plenty, I mean "all but maybe 20".

    That got me thinking, how many pro guitar/bass upgrades were there total?

    The only pro upgrades I had were the three from that pre-order DLC. I got the pro guitar, (probably like a year into owning RB3) and was just terrible at it (could never make the jump from Easy to Medium, guitar felt unnatural).

    [EDIT]
    Never mind, I figured it out. 248, including pro upgrades to legacy DLC.
  • For some reason, 118 came to mind.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    About 330 total songs with pro g/b, including the on-disc songs.
  • Wait, how did you guys get Atomic? I searched for it (even on RBDB) and couldn't find it! That's one awesome Blondie song I really wish I had on Rock Band!
  • Tyrus1235 said:

    Wait, how did you guys get Atomic? I searched for it (even on RBDB) and couldn't find it! That's one awesome Blondie song I really wish I had on Rock Band!

    Atomic was RBN
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    The only time I paid more than $2 retail for specific DLC was Atomic and Bohemian Like You on RBN, and that was after the constant stream of music dried up. I suppose technically AC/DC was more than $2/track (being $40 for 18 songs) but I consider Track Packs to be different beasts.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Tyrus1235 said:

    Wait, how did you guys get Atomic? I searched for it (even on RBDB) and couldn't find it! That's one awesome Blondie song I really wish I had on Rock Band!

    Atomic and "Bohemian Like You" by The Dandy Warhols were two big, early RBN songs that were released for $3, then suddenly pulled from the in-game store. Even though they were pulled from the store though, you could still find them on Xbox.com. They might still be available on Xbox.com, actually.
    LoopyChew said:

    I suppose technically AC/DC was more than $2/track (being $40 for 18 songs) but I consider Track Packs to be different beasts.

    Lol, I found my copy of AC/DC Live in 2012 the bargain bin at K-Mart for $2.99.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited April 21
    tdc002 said:

    LoopyChew said:

    I suppose technically AC/DC was more than $2/track (being $40 for 18 songs) but I consider Track Packs to be different beasts.

    Lol, I found my copy of AC/DC Live in 2012 the bargain bin at K-Mart for $2.99.
    European life means you grab Rock Band stuff when you can.
  • ZenzukiZenzuki Unsigned
    Tyrus1235 said:

    Wait, how did you guys get Atomic? I searched for it (even on RBDB) and couldn't find it! That's one awesome Blondie song I really wish I had on Rock Band!

    If you still have a 360 and RB3... Atomic

    Enjoy!
  • edited April 23
    Zenzuki said:

    Tyrus1235 said:

    Wait, how did you guys get Atomic? I searched for it (even on RBDB) and couldn't find it! That's one awesome Blondie song I really wish I had on Rock Band!

    If you still have a 360 and RB3... Atomic

    Enjoy!
    Ah, how unfortunate that I only have a PS3 RB3... But thanks for the link! Maybe someone here with a 360 could get it!
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    If raising the price of songs by 50c to $1 means more songs will be released by Harmonix, I say do it. It may make some of us more selective in what we buy (we really have to like the song to buy it), but if it results in more music being made available to choose from, that can only be a good thing.

    Rock Band DLC is currently $2.95 a song here in Australia, so any minimal increase would still cheaper be than Rocksmith that's a whopping $4.55 per song.
  • TheMuralsTheMurals Unsigned
    Graffin said:

    If raising the price of songs by 50c to $1 means more songs will be released by Harmonix, I say do it. It may make some of us more selective in what we buy (we really have to like the song to buy it), but if it results in more music being made available to choose from, that can only be a good thing.

    Rock Band DLC is currently $2.95 a song here in Australia, so any minimal increase would still cheaper be than Rocksmith that's a whopping $4.55 per song.

    Keep in mind that a $1 increase to the base US price is equal to a 50% increase worldwide (the prices are scaled automatically). That would mean that in Australia, the price would go up [2.95 * 1.5 = 4.425] and round to $4.45 or $4.55, which would be "whopping" as you said.
  • JadiouJadiou Unsigned
    I would pay more for songs that I really like but for songs that I'm on the edge of buying I wouldn't buy with a higher price. So I would be buying a lot less.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    TheMurals said:

    Graffin said:

    If raising the price of songs by 50c to $1 means more songs will be released by Harmonix, I say do it. It may make some of us more selective in what we buy (we really have to like the song to buy it), but if it results in more music being made available to choose from, that can only be a good thing.

    Rock Band DLC is currently $2.95 a song here in Australia, so any minimal increase would still cheaper be than Rocksmith that's a whopping $4.55 per song.

    Keep in mind that a $1 increase to the base US price is equal to a 50% increase worldwide (the prices are scaled automatically). That would mean that in Australia, the price would go up [2.95 * 1.5 = 4.425] and round to $4.45 or $4.55, which would be "whopping" as you said.
    I meant, I wouldn't mind paying an extra 50cents to $1 for DLC if there was more of it.

    In other words, instead of the $2.95 I pay now, I would be happy to pay $3.45 or even $3.95.

    Hell, i'd even pay $4.55 if it meant I got just a couple of my requested songs (no prizes for guessing what). In Rocksmith it only gives you guitar and bass (and okay, a poor vocals engine not really comparable to a karaoke game), at least in Rock Band, a song gives you more parts for your money, so i'd still consider $4.55 good value for a Rock Band song (and yes, I do own Rocksmith too, but i'm rather selective with what songs I buy for that).
  • edited May 3
    I miss the RBN times when some still pretty nice songs were at 0,75€!

    I think if RBN ever comes back and price points are NOT mandatory set, we would see lower prices for some songs (at least in RBN). Competition is good ;)

    1,5€ was acceptable for me for songs that I cannot save on my phone (you know just for listening, without interaction and such ... ).

    2€ is borderline.

    Everything beyond is ... highly unlikely for me.
  • ekffazr said:

    for what's being released as of late? no way, not even 25 cents

    Unfortunately I have to a agree here...
    Yes, I'm not a fan of pop music so most new dlc will not enter my libary at all.

    But I am willing to pay more then 2€ per song if the songs are form bigger bands like Metallica, Guns n Roses and led zeppelin
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    I'm just remembering how people reacted when RB4's BitB went from the Gen7 standard of (I think) $200 to $250, and I'm picturing it for DLC, the bread and butter of Harmonix's revenue (I would presume).
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    LoopyChew said:

    I'm just remembering how people reacted when RB4's BitB went from the Gen7 standard of (I think) $200 to $250, and I'm picturing it for DLC, the bread and butter of Harmonix's revenue (I would presume).

    Back in the day, Harmonix said they made most of their money from DLC, not game sales (which is why it's weird DLC has slowed down so much). PDP would make most of the money from the BITB sets. They're the publisher and manufacturer of the instruments.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    tdc002 said:

    LoopyChew said:

    I'm just remembering how people reacted when RB4's BitB went from the Gen7 standard of (I think) $200 to $250, and I'm picturing it for DLC, the bread and butter of Harmonix's revenue (I would presume).

    Back in the day, Harmonix said they made most of their money from DLC, not game sales (which is why it's weird DLC has slowed down so much). PDP would make most of the money from the BITB sets. They're the publisher and manufacturer of the instruments.
    Well back then expansions for RB didn't exist, you had the base game which only got updated to fix bugs and that was it. DLC was the only post-launch content.

    Now you have Rivals which judging by the XB1 store is still selling well compared to normal DLC despite being out for over 6 months now and Rivals entices people to buy more DLC whether via DLC spotlight songs or the weekly challenge songs leading to new music discoveries. So I think the key thing now is providing new DLC and good quality updates for Rivals. Of course we may be nearing the point where a new expansion gets announced too.
  • WoodenGloryWoodenGlory Unsigned

    tdc002 said:

    LoopyChew said:

    I'm just remembering how people reacted when RB4's BitB went from the Gen7 standard of (I think) $200 to $250, and I'm picturing it for DLC, the bread and butter of Harmonix's revenue (I would presume).

    Back in the day, Harmonix said they made most of their money from DLC, not game sales (which is why it's weird DLC has slowed down so much). PDP would make most of the money from the BITB sets. They're the publisher and manufacturer of the instruments.
    Well back then expansions for RB didn't exist, you had the base game which only got updated to fix bugs and that was it. DLC was the only post-launch content.

    Now you have Rivals which judging by the XB1 store is still selling well compared to normal DLC despite being out for over 6 months now and Rivals entices people to buy more DLC whether via DLC spotlight songs or the weekly challenge songs leading to new music discoveries. So I think the key thing now is providing new DLC and good quality updates for Rivals. Of course we're just waiting for a new expansion to be confirmed and not just having to decipher obscure clues.
    #FreeJosh
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner

    tdc002 said:

    LoopyChew said:

    I'm just remembering how people reacted when RB4's BitB went from the Gen7 standard of (I think) $200 to $250, and I'm picturing it for DLC, the bread and butter of Harmonix's revenue (I would presume).

    Back in the day, Harmonix said they made most of their money from DLC, not game sales (which is why it's weird DLC has slowed down so much). PDP would make most of the money from the BITB sets. They're the publisher and manufacturer of the instruments.
    Well back then expansions for RB didn't exist, you had the base game which only got updated to fix bugs and that was it. DLC was the only post-launch content.

    Now you have Rivals which judging by the XB1 store is still selling well compared to normal DLC despite being out for over 6 months now and Rivals entices people to buy more DLC whether via DLC spotlight songs or the weekly challenge songs leading to new music discoveries. So I think the key thing now is providing new DLC and good quality updates for Rivals. Of course we may be nearing the point where a new expansion gets announced too.
    There was no need for expansions back then.. we got all our features on day one...
13
Sign In or Register to comment.