Festival Pre-reqs?

ynglinkynglink Unsigned
So I was looking at the list of available songs and one thing jumped out at me, what determines which artists count? Why do I ask? Because there isn't any consistency. What constitutes by the dev's rules as a festival. CCR doesn't count and they played at the definitive music festival (Woodstock). I thought maybe only certain music festivals counted as I can understand not trying to curate it to all music festivals.

I also found that they were heavily influenced by "Coachella", but not all bands from Coachella that are in RB are in this list either.

(Seriously though...Woodstock...)

Comments

• @ynglink It's a Coachella only themed challenge. The odd one out is Phish's Tweezer which seems to be a glitch as it appears every time Phoenix is eligible irrelevant of whether Tweezer is eligible (it also appeared in the alternative challenge when Phish is sorted under rock).

This page was used and there is the possibility that some got accidentally missed in the challenge that's on the list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coachella_Festival_line-ups
  • ynglinkynglink Unsigned
    edited April 16

@ynglink It's a Coachella only themed challenge. The odd one out is Phish's Tweezer which seems to be a glitch as it appears every time Phoenix is eligible irrelevant of whether Tweezer is eligible (it also appeared in the alternative challenge when Phish is sorted under rock).

This page was used and there is the possibility that some got accidentally missed in the challenge that's on the list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coachella_Festival_line-ups

Outkast isn't on this list either even though they were there (headlining...)

I also did recognize that that seems to be what they were going for, but I don't see why make it a generic music festival term rather than "inspired by upcoming music festivals"
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited April 16
    @ynglink They are, top of the 2014 section.

As for terminology, probably trademark reasons. HMX weren't able to use "Super Bowl" for the Super Bowl themed challenge back in February either.

@ynglink They are, top of the 2014 section.

@grumblevolcano check the game, they aren't allowed in the challenge...I'm looking at it right now. Want me to show you?
  • @ynglink By list I was referring to the wiki page, not the game (i.e. there may be some that accidentally got missed from the challenge which are on the wiki page) so I thought you were saying Outkast weren't on the wiki page which they are.
    It appears my last post got deleted somehow.

Understandable, but I'm not concerned about the wiki list, just in game. I'm sure more people would've have understood if they had just worded the challenge differently. Can still be vague enough to not get in trouble, but give enough information to convey to the players what the actual theme is.

Otherwise, you're going to get people wondering why bands that played Woodstock (Jimi Hendrix, CCR, Santana, Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, The Band) aren't in. All really big bands who played in what is arguably the most prominent of music festivals.

Also, @HMXOwl You need to add Outkast...
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    ynglink said:

It appears my last post got deleted somehow.

Understandable, but I'm not concerned about the wiki list, just in game. I'm sure more people would've have understood if they had just worded the challenge differently. Can still be vague enough to not get in trouble, but give enough information to convey to the players what the actual theme is.

Otherwise, you're going to get people wondering why bands that played Woodstock (Jimi Hendrix, CCR, Santana, Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, The Band) aren't in. All really big bands who played in what is arguably the most prominent of music festivals.

Also, @HMXOwl You need to add Outkast...

Yeah, that was my complaint at first. The description just makes it sound like it's about music festivals in general, not just Coachella. But it's harder to tip-toe around Coachella without actually saying it than it is for the Super Bowl (where everyone just seems to say The Big Game instead). Idk, maybe say something about "Going out to the desert?" Then again, that just sounds more like Burning Man.
  • ynglink said:

Can still be vague enough to not get in trouble, but give enough information to convey to the players what the actual theme is.

Oddly confident sentence from someone not on our legal team. ; )
    HMXOwl said:

ynglink said:

Can still be vague enough to not get in trouble, but give enough information to convey to the players what the actual theme is.

Upcoming can mean anything :P
  • HMXOwl said:

ynglink said:

So you're telling him there's a chance? ;)
  • My question is why is there only one Phish song? They are the definition of festival!
  • VolTRHVolTRH Opening Act
    edited April 18
    HMXOwl said:

ynglink said:

Here's a bulletproof plan: Find a local sports coach named Ella, and have them "make" a list of songs for the challenge. =]
  • DavidTLynchEsqDavidTLynchEsq Opening Act
    They could make a challenge for Fauxchella, a completely fictional festival with coincidentally identical lineups. It could open the door to challenges for such festivals as Woodblock, NXNE, and Trucks Distorted Tour.
  • They could make a challenge for Fauxchella, a completely fictional festival with coincidentally identical lineups. It could open the door to challenges for such festivals as Woodblock, NXNE, and Trucks Distorted Tour.

The bolded one's a real festival. Source: Am from the Greater Toronto Area, and it's a thing.
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    edited April 18
    I don't see why they wouldn't contact them and do free promotion.

They're promoting their festival, which some RB players would be unaware of.
    Showcasing the bands to expect there would be some great advertising which the bands and festival would/should likely favour.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    uppyb0t said:

You have to try really, really hard to not know about Coachella. The odds are much higher that people who know about Coachella don't know about Rock Band than the other way around.
  • LoopyChew said:

uppyb0t said:

You have to try really, really hard to not know about Coachella. The odds are much higher that people who know about Coachella don't know about Rock Band than the other way around.
    Count me in that tiny Venn diagram area that "knows about RB but doesn't know about Coachella"
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    uppyb0t said:

I don't see why they wouldn't contact them and do free promotion.

Showcasing the bands to expect there would be some great advertising which the bands and festival would/should likely favour.

Who's to say they didn't try and got turned down? I'm not trying to start any rumors, I'm just saying hypothetically, they could have tried.

I said a while ago they could do a whole expansion based on a festival.