Longest Breaks

Does anyone know what songs have the longest breaks in them, where a break is a section of a song with no notes for a given instrument that is present). I have not tested the guitar parts (lead or bass) much; but, for drums, the longest break that I have encountered is 94 measures (2112 by Rush). (I suspect that expert players probably appreciate that or even Rime of the Ancient Mariner's 50-measure break.) (I do like the bass guitarist's part right there though. ☺) (Incidentally, I have used 2112's first guitar break to help my father and myself sleep. We like the ambit sands used. In fact, it does not seem difficult to envision someone sitting by a stream and playing a guitar.) The longest vocal break that I have encountered is 144 measures (Metropolis—Part I: The Miracle and the Sleeper by Dream Theater). Incidentally, of the songs that we currently have in our library, my father and I have deemed Metropolis the most difficult on drums. Avenged Sevenfold's Beast and the Harlot and Lightning Bolt's Dream Genie are close behind. In fact, a person might not be able to get a "legitimate" full combo (one without using auto-kick mode) on such songs as those without the second bass drum pedal (which appears to not be supported by the Rock Band 4 software, even though the hardware supports the second pedal, per tests done by a friend of my aunt).

Comments

• saosao Opening Act
    I don't know exact measurements, but I bought some of these pop songs cos my little nephew only knows the lyrics to songs that came out last year lol. And I played guitar and I strummed about 10 times.....and that was it. Maybe was cheerleader?
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    There was a thread about this recently, but I'm having trouble finding it.

"Jailbreak" by AC/DC has something like a 6 or 7 minute long vocal break.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    High Voltage has a pretty long guitar break, but no breaks for the drummer!
  • twistedoaktwistedoak Unsigned
    I think the thread was on reddit.

Jailbreak vocals is the longest I know in rb4 (I believe there was a longer one from a song in the rock band network). There are youtube videos about people doing other things like going to the corner store and back in the entirety of the break.
  • One of the Yes songs has an enormous guitar break. I think it's South Side of the Sky but I might be misremembering.
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    tdc002 said:

http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/281322/the-count-down-clock-is-not-in-seconds/p1

Only info in there not covered here though is confirmation that Jailbreak has 193 measures of wait time. So yeah, it beats Metropolis.

2112 doesn't have anywhere close to that ling of a break, but could if you combined all the breaks. Some songs have shorter breaks but have so many of them that they add up.
    Arcanon said:

tdc002 said:

http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/281322/the-count-down-clock-is-not-in-seconds/p1

Only info in there not covered here though is confirmation that Jailbreak has 193 measures of wait time. So yeah, it beats Metropolis.

2112 doesn't have anywhere close to that ling of a break, but could if you combined all the breaks. Some songs have shorter breaks but have so many of them that they add up.
    I remember when 2112 was first released as DLC, the drum break was so long, drum controllers would time out and turn off. They patched it though.
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Opening Act
    I remember one of the Chaotrope songs from RBN had something like an 8 minute long Keys break.
  • I remember when 2112 was first released as DLC, the drum break was so long, drum controllers would time out and turn off. They patched it though.
    When I did my expert note counts (in which I simply watched and did not play), both of my guitars and my vocal controller turned off. But, I think that the drums did stay on. Although, did force the controllers to stay on after the guitars and the vocal controller turned off. As strange as it was, the 20 minute and 28 second collection contained fewer notes (5,435) on the drums than did Rime of the Ancient mariner (13 minutes and 26 seconds with 5,502 drum notes). It also seems that Rock Band's lengths for songs exclude Big Rock Endings. 2112's full length is charted at 20 minutes and 33 seconds.

I remember one of the Chaotrope songs from RBN had something like an 8 minute long Keys break.

So do about 17 on-disc RB3 songs.

I blame RB3 on disc for keys failing. 20 songs with no part and everything up until about 2 dot having crazy huge deadspace.

I blame RB3 on disc for keys failing. 20 songs with no part and everything up until about 2 dot having crazy huge deadspace.
    +1000
  • edited April 20
    Agreed with @Wodd -- IIRC Metropolis has in excess of a 100 bar break on vox, but maybe that's b/c of my rather narrow DLC library. Time to go save the whales and/or accidentally engage in premature activation of overdrive.

Yeah, those first few tiers on keys should've been better. They're the first songs you play, they should be ones that make you want to keep playing. Stuff like "Need You Tonight" or "Before I Forget" weren't the best intro to keys.

DLC choices weren't much better. Sure, we got some keys heavy stuff like Skynyrd and Billy Joel, but there was way more stuff like "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" or "Rope" that probably would have been better off not even charting Keys. There's tons of great keys-oriented stuff I assumed we'd get but just never did (Ben Folds, Postal Service, The Hold Steady, more Andrew WK or Elton John)
  • Imagine if keys had been charted in 2112, the couple plinks in Part I and then 20 minutes of nothing.
    Anyway, sorry for changing the subject.

South Side Of The Sky has a huge break on Guitar, I forget the number. At least the music that plays is interesting.
  • HMXOwl said:

Imagine if keys had been charted in 2112, the couple plinks in Part I and then 20 minutes of nothing.

If that happened, I would've waited for billtvshow to make a challenge where he full combos the keys part and then goes to some place 10 minutes away to get something and comes back just in time before the song ends.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    tdc002 said:

Yeah, those first few tiers on keys should've been better. They're the first songs you play, they should be ones that make you want to keep playing. Stuff like "Need You Tonight" or "Before I Forget" weren't the best intro to keys.

DLC choices weren't much better. Sure, we got some keys heavy stuff like Skynyrd and Billy Joel, but there was way more stuff like "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" or "Rope" that probably would have been better off not even charting Keys. There's tons of great keys-oriented stuff I assumed we'd get but just never did (Ben Folds, Postal Service, The Hold Steady, more Andrew WK or Elton John)
    The lack of Andrew WK was a flat out crime
    hiimSMAP said:

tdc002 said:

The lack of Andrew WK was a flat out crime
    I mean, at least we got his biggest song...eventually.

I had my fingers crossed for Postal Service since they were in testing for RBN, but suddenly got pulled. I was hoping it got pulled in order to do it as RB3 DLC instead. Give Up full album DLC would have been amazing (and probably completely unrealistic haha)
  • akuiken98 said:

HMXOwl said:

Imagine if keys had been charted in 2112, the couple plinks in Part I and then 20 minutes of nothing.

If that happened, I would've waited for billtvshow to make a challenge where he full combos the keys part and then goes to some place 10 minutes away to get something and comes back just in time before the song ends.
    I would've definitely watched it. How about you guys?
  • ZenzukiZenzuki Unsigned
    akuiken98 said:

HMXOwl said:

He'd prolly just fail again! lol
  • CAL022CAL022 Opening Act

Anyway, sorry for changing the subject.

South Side Of The Sky has a huge break on Guitar, I forget the number. At least the music that plays is interesting.

Played it today. 75 measure wait. I could FC the song but do I REALLY want to sit through that break EVERY time?