DLC Discussion: The Isley Brothers!

Comments

• Maybe this week's challenge could be songs with 3-part harmonies?
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior

Thinking back on my prediction for this week's Weekly Challenge theme, I thought of another theme idea...

Band of Brothers (Play songs from Bands that has siblings in their group)
    - Night Fever (DLC Spotlight 1)
    - Panama (Repeat)
    - Shout (DLC Spotlight 2)

or they could just extend the family-based theme for another week.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited May 16
    That siblings plan sounds like it would take a lot of research.
  • That siblings plan sounds like it would take a lot of research.

Nah, it'd be decently easy. Remember it's by artist, not song. What are we at, 800ish artists?
  • Toga! Toga! LOL Great pick this week. I've been saying I want another vocals challenge. Too bad it doesn't come with toga items for the rock shop, that would be perfect. :D

Not the biggest fan of Blink-182, but now that I know the surprise is next week, I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping it's "Enter Sandman" but Linkin Park would be awesome as well, especially if it's "Faint". Though part of me is wishing that LP comes later, as my b'day falls on a Thursday this year in a few weeks! Until then, I'll definitely have fun for the rest of May.
  • Two weeks with only 01 single in may?! Makes sense end the month with "bored to death"...
  • DavidTLynchEsqDavidTLynchEsq Opening Act
    For those wondering about stems, we'll probably only get vocals separated, if anything. At the time everything was recorded on two-track tapes, usually with the vocals on one track and everything else on the other. Four-track tapes (which tend to be separated enough for Rock Band purposes) weren't in common use until the mid-60s.

This whole issue with the stems hasn't been a dealbreaker for the most part, but it has put me on the fence for songs I otherwise wouldn't hesitate to buy. But at least with considerably older songs it's more understandable that proper stems never existed.
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner

For those wondering about stems, we'll probably only get vocals separated, if anything. At the time everything was recorded on two-track tapes, usually with the vocals on one track and everything else on the other. Four-track tapes (which tend to be separated enough for Rock Band purposes) weren't in common use until the mid-60s.

Not that I'm saying they are separated, but the "everything was recording on two-track tapes" line isn't correct. Yes the vast majority was still on two tracks until the 60s, but multi-track masters were in use as early as 1955.

I think a bigger issue would be the age of the tapes and if they were stored properly and/or transferred over.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    silvioles said:

Two weeks with only 01 single in may?! Makes sense end the month with "bored to death"...

silvioles said:

Two weeks with only 01 single in may?! Makes sense end the month with "bored to death"...

invertedx said:

Personally I want some Buddy Holly. He has some great songs!

"That'll Be the Day" is in Rock Band Network in RB3, granted it's a cover by Jerry Naylor from like 2010 (who was the third singer of The Crickets). I still played the hell out of it though.
  • The Weekly Challenge Theme for this week is Hard Songs on Vocals (I'm thinking it's from Challenging to Impossible, can @HMXOwl or someone confirm this for me?)

The Spotlights are...
    - Chandelier (Sia, DLC Song 1)
    - Painkiller (Ruby Rose Fox, Rock Band Rivals Free Song (They do not count as DLC Songs)
    - Shout (The Isley Brothers, DLC Song 2)
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    So happy to see Sia as a spotlight! Definitely buying shout now though. Was on the fence depending if it was a spotlight. Not a fan of the song though but gotta help the crew lol
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    Oh hey, a DLC song I own is a spotlight song. Never thought I'd see the day again :p

In all seriousness, I am curious how this challenge will pan out; whether it'll be based on vocal tiers, or if it's one of those challenges where songs were painstakingly hand-picked to meet the challenge.
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    bet i have more than 40 songs this week
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    Shout!
    Thanks HMX! <3
  • Looks like Shout is delayed on XB1 then, can't find it on the Xbox store or website.
  • baumpaulbaumpaul Unsigned
    edited May 18
    EDIT: I'm dumb and confused Shout with Everybody Wants To Rule The World....
    Of course, that Shout is in the store
  • baumpaul said:

Looks like Shout is delayed on XB1 then, can't find it on the Xbox store or website.

I noticed Shout by Tears For Fears is in the store. Maybe it was by mistake?
    Or was it re-released as Rewind at some point?
    The whole Blitz soundtrack was released as standalone DLC during December 2012 - March 2013.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    derekhall said:

Maybe this week's challenge could be songs with 3-part harmonies?

You were on the right track!
  • Okay folks... I was being sarcastic a few months ago when I proposed that "Troll The Vox" challenge... More complaining to come when I get back from work and hop on the new challenge thread.
  • @AndyTheIndigoer Judging by Bored to Death being next week, I could see challenges based on hard [insert instrument] maybe taking up the rest of season 0. So like:

5/25 - Hard Drums Songs
    The Killers - "Somebody Told Me"
    blink-182 - "Bored to Death"
    [insert another song releasing as DLC next week]

6/1 - Hard Bass Songs
    Spin Doctors - "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong"
    [insert 2 DLC songs at least 1 of which is releasing on 6/1]

6/8 - Hard Guitar Songs
    Lightning Bolt - "Dream Genie"
    [insert 2 DLC songs at least 1 of which is releasing on 6/8]
  • BaronRobBaronRob Unsigned
    Hard bass (or guitar) (or drums) would go well with Pull Me Under and Freewill.

But there best be a Maiden song on hard bass week. Preferably new DLC.
  • AkuryuAkuryu Rising Star
    Anyone actually able to purchase this on Xbox?
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited May 18
    I checked the ingame store, "Hard" means 5 dots and devil horns so variety's a bit limited (135 in the store are eligible).
  • CAL022CAL022 Opening Act
    Akuryu said:

Anyone actually able to purchase this on Xbox?

Nope.
  • edited May 18
    @HMXOwl It looks like Xbox Oners won't be able to download Shout into their library today.

Can you replace that with Spoonman in honor of Chris Cornell? ( #RIPCornell )