Headphones, maybe useless but...

tiagosouzatiagosouza Unsigned
edited May 16 in Rock Band
I've experienced singing with a headphone connected on my Xbox One S controller after refusing to try it... and guess what? It is amazing!
I thought I would have a delay, but the sound is practically the same of my speakers.

It seems we vocalists have got a cheap fancy nonsense useless "return" system!
Or maybe not so useless: I'm really enjoying use it when I don't know a song, it helps a lot to "learn" in realtime the correct notes. By the way, I like to wear just one side of the headphone.

Probably I'm the last one to try it in forum, but maybe somebody never actually gave it a chance to do it... Thats the tip!

Have all a nice day!

Comments

• LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited May 16
    On the PS4 side, I've successfully used the PS4 Gold headset as a mic, and it worked alright. I prefer to use a Rock Band mic myself, since it's more fun to actually hold something in my hand while singing, but if you just have a headset laying around somewhere, that can always be used in a pinch.

EDIT: This thing, in case you were wondering.

• tiagosouzatiagosouza Unsigned
    Yeah, I don't use the mic of the headset, no way haha. I just use the headphones.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard

Yeah, I don't use the mic of the headset, no way haha. I just use the headphones.

Ah that's what you meant. Yeah I myself play with headphones plugged into my monitor, which is another reason I don't use the headset as a mic.
  • twistedoaktwistedoak Unsigned
    I use Turtle Beach and so do some of my crew mates. They're amazing for singing and voxtar as well.
  • tati81tati81 Opening Act
    When I want to sing perfectly I always put headphones on. It's great!
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    People wear headphones when singing?... Do you guys smack your head when it's got a tambourine part? :tongue:
  • bandaddybandaddy Rising Star
    I wear headphones for all Rock Band play. For sound, not mic use.
    Volume on high.
    Volume on TV off.

I don't hear my drums clacking when I drum, and the sound on the TV does not set off overdrive when singing.
  • lightsup55lightsup55 Opening Act
    bandaddy said:

I wear headphones for all Rock Band play. For sound, not mic use.
    Volume on high.
    Volume on TV off.

I don't hear my drums clacking when I drum, and the sound on the TV does not set off overdrive when singing.

I don't sing (horrible at it), but I do the same thing when I play guitar/bass.
  • twistedoaktwistedoak Unsigned
    Graffin said:

People wear headphones when singing?... Do you guys smack your head when it's got a tambourine part? :tongue:

No... I use the controller when just singing, and I get my beatboxing skills down cold when voxtarring.

• LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I've got a nice sound system and I crank it when I play Rock Band. It's not Rock -n- Roll if the windows aren't shaking.
  • I've got a nice sound system and I crank it when I play Rock Band. It's not Rock -n- Roll if the windows aren't shaking.

And if you can't hear yourself singing any more, add a powered stage monitor!
  • Graffin said:

On XB1, the "A" button also activates tambourine hits. Like I've said before, though, if your ex is visiting and singing "Unbelievable" with a headset, don't tell them about the A-button part:

"OHHHH!" *slapslap slap slap slap* *slapslap slap slap slap* *slapslap slap slap slap* *slap slap slapslap slap slap slap*
    heppycat said:

I've got a nice sound system and I crank it when I play Rock Band. It's not Rock -n- Roll if the windows aren't shaking.

And if you can't hear yourself singing any more, add a powered stage monitor!
    I have actually been considering a small PA as the next addition to my Rock Band Party Setup. B) I figure I could split the mic signal between the game and the PA, turn the game mic down, and then I could easily adjust for timid singers and those of us who know how to own the room. Plus I could throw some effects on the PA outputs.

Do you guys think 1200 watts would be overkill?
  • And if you can't hear yourself singing any more, add a powered stage monitor! Do you guys think 1200 watts would be overkill?

In your shoes I'd rather not find out. I don't know what the wattage on my two channel Behringer amp is (the fact it's the size of about 5 stacked CD jewel cases should give a hint), but it's been able to send enough power to cause RB to quit detecting the mic.

...the fact it's the size of about 5 stacked CD jewel cases should give a hint...

Slimline or normal?

Or does "jewel" imply "not slimline"?
  • @LordFlatus - Sad. :disappointed: I should have said it's the size of "5 stacked standard jewel cases."

http://www.polylinecorp.com/Category/1527_1/Standard_CD_DVD_Cases.aspx
  • edited May 19

I have actually been considering a small PA as the next addition to my Rock Band Party Setup. B) I figure I could split the mic signal between the game and the PA, turn the game mic down, and then I could easily adjust for timid singers and those of us who know how to own the room. Plus I could throw some effects on the PA outputs.

Do you guys think 1200 watts would be overkill?

One tenth of that would be overkill for a party setup. A little bit of reverb can really improve vocals though. Makes them sound less sterile.

I have a Peavey powered mixer pushing 60 watts into a couple Polk bookshelf speakers in two separate rooms, and I think the Behringer I use for Rock Band is about the same. Both master volumes are set to about 3 of 10.
    We get up to about -17.5 on my Yamaha receiver during RB parties.
  • If you're only using the PA for vocals, you really don't need much power. I looked up the specs on my Behringer keyboard/PA amp. It's only 45 watts into a single 10" speaker.

That's not going to fill a club with sound, but it has no problems competing with my massive Polk RTi home theater speakers.
    I suppose I could try singing through my bass amp. Then I could throw my multi-effects guitar pedal into the mix. :)