Observation: Spotlight Songs - Drums - Variance in top score based on fill chosen

"Mainstream Kid" was chosen as the test.
Both songs were FC'd and OD was deployed whenever possible (normal path).

Drum Fill - Static Fills

Drum Fill - Dynamic Fills

As you can clearly see, static fills win and score higher.
I would like to understand HMXs position behind this decision.

I can tell you without a doubt that dynamic fills are much more difficult to FC.

The only theory I have is that with Static Fills the chart will always be the same or consistent. Dynamic Fills introduces randomness and in fairness, multiple play throughs can yield easier paths/fills to hit.

But, it almost feels like you are being penalized for selecting Dynamic Fills. I would think a happy compromise would be to at least score the same as Static Fills.

Does anyone else have opinions on this subject?

Comments

• The fills have been scored like this since RB4 launched, it's not a Spotlight thing.
  • joseph5185joseph5185 Opening Act
    edited May 17
    I wasn't trying to insinuate that it was.
    It just didn't seem right.

Play on static fills and don't worry about it. That's fair, but I have to remember to switch and that can be hassle especially because I much more prefer and enjoy to play with dynamic fills.

Maybe this is something that could be looked at more in the future?
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I always thought that dynamic fills scored higher, which made sense because they are definitely harder. Now I find out that I was once again wrong. :(
    Right? It doesn't make sense!

DEFINITELY harder = more fun (to me) ... and to a degree more realistic for a "live" setting.
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    The dynamic fills are randomly determined, right? So hypothetically you could luck out and get easier fills than another player on the same song? If so, makes sense why Harmonix would want the most consistently charted option to be the highest-scoring one.

The dynamic fills are randomly determined, right? So hypothetically you could luck out and get easier fills than another player on the same song? If so, makes sense why Harmonix would want the most consistently charted option to be the highest-scoring one.

That makes sense too, but I don't recall ever getting 3-beat toms during a 5-dot song whereas I get those devil-fills all the time on zero and one dot songs.
    I agree as well; however, it's not likely to happen. Most of the time, just ONE of the random fills completely throws you and more times than not you are going to break combo every time.

I know for this reason most people hate them. I like the challenge and again I think it's more fun.

I'd like to know the % of EVERY fill being simple in a song. Very unlikely.
  • ChezButterChezButter Unsigned
    Very interesting - I'd be curious to know the score for "Classic fills".

I don't know how many people play them, but I have a tightly tuned audio system and I enjoy the improv aspect as I have a library of suitable fills I choose on my own based on the song and energy.

I'll go a step further and say this is a bug - there are "hints" that say it doesn't matter what kind of fill you play, they are all scored the same.

All three fill types should be the same. I therefore think combo can't break if you mis-play a static or dynamic fill.

You should be able to choose your fill preference and not have any advantage over others with a different preference. I'm surprised at this, actually.
    This is precisely why I wanted to point this out and expose it.
    Thank you for your input.

I understand from a consistency perspective of why STATIC fills may be favored or something, but it's not fair. If anything, I'm still in the boat that says DYNAMIC fills should score more.

They are harder. I don't care if it's randomized or not. Most people would probably leave them if they didn't break their full combo runs all the time. I'll say this, it's made me a better drummer with them on.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited May 19
    I'll weigh in... to me, for the same reason (I think anyway), that charted guitar solos score higher then freestyle guitar solos - which is to say, static drum fills score more than dynamic because you're playing the song as authored and as intended by the original artist so your score is basically a reflection of how accurately you can reproduce the original. The better you replicate the original the higher your score, and nothing should "top" reproducing the original perfectly.

Dynamic fills often sounded "wonky" to me when I tried them for a bit, and yeah, they can be more difficult if only because their randomness is what makes them hard to "predict" what they should sound like... which is often what makes them sound "wonky"... but that randomness shouldn't translate to a higher score then perfectly reproducing the authors intended sound... to me.

As for classic fills - no way those should be scored as high, much less higher, then static (or dynamic) because chosing to hit a few random pads, not even necessarily in rhythm or to the beat, shouldn't be worth much (even if in your case, Chezbutter, you play something "fitting").

Edited for clarity.
    edited May 19

I'll go a step further and say this is a bug - there are "hints" that say it doesn't matter what kind of fill you play, they are all scored the same.

This is not what's been said. I don't have a link, but I know I'm right. :D

What was said was that all the dynamic fills score the same. It doesn't matter if you super basic zero dot fill or a crazy devil head fill, they both score the same.
    edited May 20
    I can appreciate the "original" / static fills not being outdone by any other fill method. I just find they are easier which I guess it's my advantage.

I think it would be nice if Spotlight defaulted to Static fills at the least that way I didn't have to worry about changing and missing out on points. I could see where some could complain about this too, but if you are competitive and want to yield the highest score possible, then the way it's currently constructed you want static fills on.

Also, yea sometimes they are out of place or stupidly simple. (Like the awkward empty 4 snare beat or something), but definitely most of the time, I think they are great. I'll also point out that yea they catch you off guard because you'll be playing a 2/3 dot song and a 5/d tier fill comes out of nowhere. "What the hell was that!" haha

TL:DR:
    Feature Request:
    Have the option OR default even to only allow Static Fills for Spotlight songs to achieve maximum possible score.
  • I was also confused by the onscreen tip that said "It doesn't matter what kind of fill you have, they're all scored the same".

Guess it's on the same level of thinking as "While singing hard or expert vocals, it doesn't matter what note you sing, as long as it's in the right key." (It does matter which note because it has to be on key -- and more importantly, doesn't apply to the non-Freestyle tracks)

I think it would be nice if Spotlight defaulted to Static fills at the least that way I didn't have to worry about changing and missing out on points.
    Feature Request: Have the option OR default even to only allow Static Fills for Spotlight songs to achieve maximum possible score.

If you remember my ranting on our crew's Hangout last night, I'd prefer that the default fill across all game modes be static with the other kinds being optional... and now my opinion is backed up by actual song facts.

That screen tip is only referring to Dynamic fills scoring the same.

I was also confused by the onscreen tip that said "It doesn't matter what kind of fill you have, they're all scored the same".

Guess it's on the same level of thinking as "While singing hard or expert vocals, it doesn't matter what note you sing, as long as it's in the right key." (It does matter which note because it has to be on key -- and more importantly, doesn't apply to the non-Freestyle tracks)

That screen tip is only referring to Dynamic fills scoring the same.

Yup to joseph. i just saw that on-screen tip today and it says "dynamic fills" right in the text of it.
  • @LordFlatus - But, can I still get points for singing something other than the melody on all hard and expert tracks? They still make me want to think so. :disappointed:
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited May 22
    Based on this thread, I went in and changed over to "static fills." Ha! It worked. My scores were much improved. I got a number of gold stars today and even an fc. So I don't know if it made a difference or if my playing was just less sucky. :p
    edited May 23
    rkbdgurl said:

Based on this thread, I went in and changed over to "static fills." Ha! It worked. My scores were much improved. I got a number of gold stars today and even an fc. So I don't know if it made a difference or if my playing was just less sucky. :p

Sounds like both! =)

EDIT:
    What did you change the fill from?
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited May 24
    I changed to static fills, and I played a ton yesterday, and it seems to make the difference. Again, I was able to get many gold stars another fc. I enjoy doing custom fills when Im just doinking around on RB, but when competition is at stake in Rivals, I'm sticking with the static fills. :)
  • ChezButterChezButter Unsigned
    Well - I still prefer classic fills. I guess on a few songs where I'm "on the line" to gold, I can switch up to static and it will push me over... I'll give it a shot on a couple of songs.

Given all of this, I'm indifferent on the dynamic/static issue, but "same score" implies... well... same score.

-CB
    Again, "same score" refers to Dynamic Fills ONLY...