Any tips for calibrating?

hgkenshin1hgkenshin1 Unsigned
edited May 19 in Rock Band
Huge Rock band fan here. Loved RB3. I have RB4 for the Xboxone but I just can't seem to get the calibration correct. I play drums, have a sound bar, and a samsung lcd tv. I've tried the auto calibration and it gets decently close but i still can't play fills or rolls without it dropping notes and what not. Just really frustrating going from RB3 where I can play all my songs on expert and get fairly high scores and now on RB4 I can't do it because the calibration just won't get spot on. Just wondering if others run into this issue and what you did to find the right calibration. I haven't really spent much money on RB4 because of this issue.

Comments

• hgkenshin1hgkenshin1 Unsigned
    I've also updated the firmware on my drums back on launch so I don't believe that's the issue. It's only on fast notes/sections that its just not calibrated correctly to allow me to play those.
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    edited May 20
    I was an advocate for doing audio first, but with my many recals and changing my xbox from bitstream to uncompressed, it seems my video numbers remain a constant. My video is a steady 70ms.

Video controls your hitboxes. So if you are having registry issues you'll need to adjust this by changing the numbers yourself.

If you can hit after the note, but not before, lower your video ms. You should be able to hit before and after the notes with a fairly decent buffer. Keep purposefully hitting early and late on a song you know that gives you a decent window to see with good space in between notes.

After this adjust your audio to sync up with your notes. When I switched to uncompressed on the xbone, my ions responded immediately on screen with almost nonexistent delay. I had never experienced this with my ions ever, so I was very pleased with the response.

I hope you can get it fine tuned.
  • hgkenshin1hgkenshin1 Unsigned
    edited May 20
    What is this uncompressed you speak of? Is that only for ion drumkit? I just have the stock kit myself. Also thanks a lot for the tips I'll give those a shot. Does setting it on game mode on the TV make a difference? I've heard it does and doesn't so not really sure if that matters or not.
    edited May 20
    As far as your tv goes, you will want any special settings turned off to get the purest framerate out of the game. Game mode is a must to use and any 'trumotion' or variations of settings like that should be completely disabled.

I run my system through my receiver and it supports 7.1. The uncompressed I speak of has to do with the Xbox audio output settings within the settings of your console and you can set it to stereo, 5.1, or 7.1, given what is supported by your system.

I believe it is defaulted to bitstream, but if your system does not support any other method, it may not allow you to change to anything else.

I would use songs like Undone by Weezer and Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie on expert bass to get the best feel since the notes are predictable and it's evident where things should line up.

Make sure you fiddle with the Video calibration by manually changing the values and make variations of 5-10ms given where it registers. This will be your best bet for not having your notes drop.
  • I did everything mentioned above. There is a great YouTube video on doing the video first with your sound off. Then match the audio.

For me it was the drum kit. I went back to using my old kit with the dongle. I highly recommend using your previous gen kit. The new ones simply don't work.

I did everything mentioned above. There is a great YouTube video on doing the video first with your sound off. Then match the audio.

For me it was the drum kit. I went back to using my old kit with the dongle. I highly recommend using your previous gen kit. The new ones simply don't work.

The video is a bit misleading as it says there's a third thing which there is not. You cannot see the hitboxes, but the hitboxes are tied directly to the Video latency settings, so there really are only 2 things to worry about.
  • edited June 14
    True. That's why I didn't post the link. I still found doing the video without sound was really effective first and then matching the sound.

The real point I was trying to make was try your old kit if you have one because the difference is shocking. Only issue with it is you can't join an online session you can only create one.
    Edit: You can join with a legacy drum kit! Just have to join the session as a singer or guitarist and then switch to drums.

Try your old kit!