DLC's Should Not Be Spotlight / Rival Songs

edited June 18 in Rock Band Rivals
For those that want to get higher up on the Crew leaderboards you pretty much have to have the majority of the DLC's in order to compete at higher tiers.

This is unfortunate as I'm sure that people don't want to purchase songs that they might not enjoy just to be at an even level with other crews.

Although I see why DLC is set as Spotlight and Rival challenges. It makes it a bit more interesting and less repetitive each week of the season.

But I for one don't want to purchase several dollars worth of DLC of songs I might not enjoy just to be at an even pace of other players. (although I appreciate that Harmonix is still working on DLC).

Feel free to disagree with me that's fine. Just my opinion.

Comments

• LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    I actually agree that having DLC songs in the Spotlight section is kinda lame; it essentially makes the game pay-to-win at that point, especially now that the majority of the time it's two DLC songs per week.

As for being in Rivals in general, though, I don't think that removing them from Rivals entirely is a great idea. That would only leave on-disc songs and Rivals songs, and that would get old quick. Besides, Spotlight songs are where the big XP boosts are, so it makes more sense to just not have DLC be Spotlight, then to have all DLC discounted from Rivals entirely.
  • For those that disagree, I'd like to know your thoughts on why they should still be Spotlight / Rival challenges.
  • edited June 19
    I understand why people on these forms, including you, doesn't want to spend their money on DLC as Rivals Spotlight songs, and I can respect that opinion, but Harmonix does DLC Spotlights because they don't want to repeat On-Disc Spotlights sooner than expected.

Who wants to play Dream Genie as a Spotlight for one week, and then again on the next week, and on the next week after that? I certainly do not. Which is why I happily embrace Harmonix's decision to use DLC Spotlights to avoid repeating On-Disc songs too sooner than expected.

But like I said before, I respect your opinion, and like they all say: Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and no one can disagree with that.
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner

For those that disagree, I'd like to know your thoughts on why they should still be Spotlight / Rival challenges.

I have been playing Rock Band and buying DLC since launch day, and I have a library of over 1400, so I would want nothing to do with Rivals if it didn't incorporate DLC as challenge songs.

I like DLC songs being in Spotlight when they're songs I already have or was planning to buy, and I can sometimes get out of buying a Spotlight song if another crew member has/wants it, so that usually doesn't bother me, but there are still quite a few on-disc tracks that haven't been used as Spotlight yet, so I don't think it would be a bad thing to use disc/free Rivals tracks for Spotlight slightly more often.
  • twistedoaktwistedoak Unsigned
    You can only play Bethany so many times....

DLC is there for a little bit of variety. I'm sorry, but if no one in your 10 person crew is willing to pony up a couple bucks for a song, maybe times are a little too tough to be playing Rock Band anyways. Skip the Starbucks drink for a day, or do without your Rockstar energy drink for one day, and you will have more than enough for a couple dlc songs.

This is hardly a pay to win model, as you can still do well without having a large library of dlc songs. All you need is time on the xp side, and you can rack up big xp numbers without a lot of dlc. Spending a couple bucks on a song you may not have is not breaking the bank like some other games where you have to spend hundreds to remain competitive. I was more offended that people had to pay for Rivals, rather than making it a free add on.

If dlc were removed from rivals completely, you would see a vast wasteland of what was once rivals. Those who have bought dlc and enjoy playing those songs would feel slighted and feel that rivals is a waste of time.

• My crew has several members that like to get new songs, but sometimes there are songs that no one likes or maybe someone likes but only plays guitar so we won't have drum or vocal scores. This increases conversations on the app like "hey let's take a break this week", "I don't want to compete with these songs", or "hey I will go ahead a get that one, don't worry about it". The lady gaga week comes to mind as a week that we just tried to play enough challenge songs to stay at our current tier. Now, with no demotions, just take a week off if no one wants something, no penalty.

Personally I don't mind the 2 or 4 bucks a week for spotlight songs at all. I tend to play spotlight songs on all instruments (Jack of all trades master of none), and usually multiple times on each, so if a song is 4 minutes long, I easily get between half an hour to an hour of enjoyment out of it that week. Then it is in my library, so I can continue to play it in future challenges. Also it was a spotlight song, so when I go online there is a better chance that others have it as well. In the past I bought dlc when it was on sale (value) or sometimes it was a song that I had to have (anything 90s alternative), but playing online didn't mean that others would have the same songs, so many of those songs became local play only. This does not feel like the case anymore with spotlight songs.

Another reason I don't mind the cost is I am a...(please don't judge me)... Bing user (there I said it). I "earn" about a quarter a day searching on bing just to support my DLC habit. Yes I lower myself to mindless searches where I enter I bunch of junk, then delete one letter, repeat until I earned my 15 cents on my computer and 10 cents on my phone, but Rockband is worth it. Harmonix is worth it! HMXOwl is almost worth it!

Again, here are my reasons in support of DLC in spotlight in bullet format:
    - Increased strategy and communication with crew and no longer penalized
    - Added value as DLC gets played more often
    - I don't pay-to-play, I subject myself to using bing
  • Almost? Awesome!
  • HMXOwl said:

Almost? Awesome!

If you convinced the graphics people to give us Togas at the end of a season, you would be so worth my bing searching shame. I might even make it my default browser and select a picture of you or an owl for my homepage!

(Sorry, that got creepy fast. I really want a toga. You know you're worth it!)
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

But I for one don't want to purchase several dollars worth of DLC of songs I might not enjoy just to be at an even pace of other players. (although I appreciate that Harmonix is still working on DLC).

I have some *GREAT* news for you: you don't have to buy any DLC songs that you don't like!
  • edited June 19

I have some *GREAT* news for you: you don't have to buy any DLC songs that you don't like!
    I'm fully aware of that. But I want to help out the Crew as well, so now I'm at a stand still.
  • tati81tati81 Opening Act

I'm fully aware of that. But I want to help out the Crew as well, so now I'm at a stand still.

You can help out your crew with the weekly challenge songs, what's the problem? Or do you want to see your name in the Spotlight page perhaps? ;)
    Personally I don't buy dlcs I don't like to play, my crew knows that, so when there's a week where spotlight songs are not my thing, I usually try to earn more crew points with other Rivals Songs to compensate.
  • RJUCPURJUCPU Unsigned
    Sorry, but I don't get it. Why do so many of the more casual crowd just expect everything to be free? Why do you feel so entitled? All the time. I've never once heard a hard-core competitive player come on the forums and cry about having to spend $2.00 for a DLC song. Ever.

In the meantime, you have what? Your $300 xb1 or ps4, your $200 band in a box, maybe your $50/year online membership with whichever console you are on. How many extra controllers or add-ons? What about that cell phone you're looking at the app on? If you have to buy 1 song a week (and doubtful you would have to unless you were on a crew by yourself and had zero DLC) the most you are talking is $104 over the course of a year. That's $8.67 a month / $2 week / 28 cents a day, for entertainment. Count up the hours you spend on this game and I dare you to find something in the real world you can do that long for that amount of money. Even if you never play a handful of those songs ever again, it's hardly a waste if you look at the big picture.

When there are so many games that charge you a much higher monthly subscription on top of everything else just to play, I'd hardly call this a big deal and saying it's "pay to win", well, nobody is forcing you to buy them. You can still advance and get promoted with extremely low spotlight scores and extremely high XP. It's not a requirement. If nobody wants to buy the song then everybody pitches in 20 cents and you buy it for one person on the crew who can do it on more than one instrument. TWENTY CENTS.

So, for those of us that don't mind, and enjoy having something new now and then (whether we like the song or not doesn't matter), just stop already. This is the kind of thing that would totally destroy what's left of this game.
    edited June 21
    RJUCPU said:

Sorry, but I don't get it. Why do so many of the more casual crowd just expect everything to be free? Why do you feel so entitled? All the time. I've never once heard a hard-core competitive player come on the forums and cry about having to spend $2.00 for a DLC song. Ever.

In the meantime, you have what? Your $300 xb1 or ps4, your $200 band in a box, maybe your $50/year online membership with whichever console you are on. How many extra controllers or add-ons? What about that cell phone you're looking at the app on? If you have to buy 1 song a week (and doubtful you would have to unless you were on a crew by yourself and had zero DLC) the most you are talking is $104 over the course of a year. That's $8.67 a month / $2 week / 28 cents a day, for entertainment. Count up the hours you spend on this game and I dare you to find something in the real world you can do that long for that amount of money. Even if you never play a handful of those songs ever again, it's hardly a waste if you look at the big picture.

When there are so many games that charge you a much higher monthly subscription on top of everything else just to play, I'd hardly call this a big deal and saying it's "pay to win", well, nobody is forcing you to buy them. You can still advance and get promoted with extremely low spotlight scores and extremely high XP. It's not a requirement. If nobody wants to buy the song then everybody pitches in 20 cents and you buy it for one person on the crew who can do it on more than one instrument. TWENTY CENTS.

So, for those of us that don't mind, and enjoy having something new now and then (whether we like the song or not doesn't matter), just stop already. This is the kind of thing that would totally destroy what's left of this game.

I'm just speaking for myself here, but I was gifted my PS4 and RB4 Rivals band-in-the-box, and would not have been able to get it otherwise. I am very poor, and can't afford to get DLC outside of holidays or birthdays when I get money gifted (I do also sometimes win free songs via Twitch streams, so that's helped me expand my library in recent weeks). As thus, any system that requires you to spend more in order to "win" at something without spending countless hours I don't have grinding is something I dislike. Don't worry, I realize there are much worse examples of this, and I strongly oppose to those as well.

I respect your opinion; if you find it fun as-is, then that's fine. I can certainly see the argument that the current model allows for more variety in Spotlight selection and themes. However, not all of us are fortunate enough to be able to afford DLC every week, and many of us are in crews with friends, not necessarily in crews that are made up of entirely top-level players who can afford DLC every week. As for you're comment on pitching in twenty cents every week, I wonder how that would work in terms of buying digital content on PS4, since their system requires you to buy the virtual currency itself, which last I checked had a minimum cost/amount of $5 (in other words, their system doesn't allow you to just buy the DLC on it's own using your credit card, you need to add at least $5 to your PSN account first). There's also tax to take into account, though that probably isn't nearly as big an issue.

I would be completely happy to them going back to one DLC song per week; that way there's still some DLC in the spotlight, but not too much to where those who can't buy the songs/don't like the songs aren't left out in the dust, required to grind the few songs they have over and over for several hours (especially in higher tiers).
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I can appreciate someone being being too poor to game.

But come on now, it's bad form to come on here asking for the game to be completely dumbed-down just for you because you somehow managed to get everything for free (to you) and can't afford a DLC song here or there. I would expect that someone in that situation to be extremely grateful that they can play Rock Band at all. Play some songs, have some fun, and go thank whoever gifted all that expensive stuff to you that enables you to play.
  • MackD512MackD512 Unsigned
    Unfortunately, Harmonix is a business, and they have to continue to make money to stay afloat. By having paid DLC they keep making the money to be able to continue making games. The fact that DLC songs are on the Spotlight every week is one way to encourage players to pay for content. If you don't want to buy them, that's fine. If you're lucky to be in a large crew, maybe one or two players will be willing to pick them up and put a score into them.

I have some friends who are big into the Magic: The Gathering scene, and part of the tournament structure there, is that you can only play with cards that have been made within a certain timeframe. This is also designed to force players to buy more of the product they're selling. Honestly, I prefer Harmonix's model better, but they are a business, and they are needing some to buy their products in order to keep working.

I can appreciate someone being being too poor to game.

But come on now, it's bad form to come on here asking for the game to be completely dumbed-down just for you because you somehow managed to get everything for free (to you) and can't afford a DLC song here or there. I would expect that someone in that situation to be extremely grateful that they can play Rock Band at all. Play some songs, have some fun, and go thank whoever gifted all that expensive stuff to you that enables you to play.

I'm not asking them to dumb down anything. As I said, I'd be fine with one song every week to be DLC. It's just weeks of two or three DLC spotlight songs that are a real bummer to me. And I realize Harmonix doesn't have to do anything, and that this is a way of trying to get as much money as possible. That doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to think it's a bummer whenever I can't participate in a challenge as often as I want, due to a paywall.

I have already thanked the folks who gave me the PS4 and RB4 countless times, and I am thankful that I get to play at all. That said, that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to express my opinions. It's fine to disagree with me, just understand that telling people to "stop complaining" isn't going to convince anyone to change their minds (especially someone as stubborn as I am when it comes to not wanting to spend money I don't have). Again, I respect your opinion, and definitely see a valid argument. I just personally dislike being excluded from things due to my financial situation, is all.
  • Bing offers walmart, target, amazon, and gamestop giftcards if you are on ps4. If you are on xbox, xbox cards are usually less free points, but free points are free points! At a quarter a day in points, you might not get a song a week, but you would be able to participate more. Although you will feel that shame each time you click, as I do. ;)
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited July 17
    I've had to pass up some spotlight songs and just play the one song I may own. I've also bought several songs for the spotlight (depending on if I like them or not.) Most of the people in my crew have very little dlc. so I can see the frustration LHV feels...but I really do like the variety of songs, and recognizing that dlc is Rock Bands bread and butter, I'm good with it. If your crew has a variety of dlc, there should be enough people to cover the spotlight songs. They may not be done by the elite players sometimes. It may mean that a lesser ability player may be the one that owns a a particular spotlight song, that no one else has, and they must step up and play all of the parts for the team. That's the fun of it. It's unpredictable from week to week. Some weeks are good for a crew and some weeks just suk, but this is so much better than playing the same 84 song set list over and over again.
    ...and I don't know if that made any sense to anyone but me lol.