Year of 20-Witt-teen Wishlist (2017-2018)

Comments

• @grumblevolcano money speaks louder than opinions.
  • I keep updating but forgetting to post anything. So first lets hear it for Rick James - Super Freak! At 33.4 million listens on spotify, this classic funk song is probably responsible for most conceptions in the mid eighties. Or as us younger kids know him from the antics of Dave Chappell. However you know this song, let’s hope its not a one night stand and we see him again.

Next we have another classic track from the original pointless portsyers of the umlaut, Blue Oyster Cult. This... Also 1981 classic, Burnin’ For You, is less weird compared to their other offerings of songs about Godzilla or not fearing death, but it is a welcome song to the library. Oh and its got 22.7 million listens on spotify!

Finally from 1982, wow, its been an early 80s overload. Whatever it’s Asia with Heat of the Moment. With 30 million listens on spotify and a bit of South Park nostalgia for it. From a wave of English bands that named themselves after continents after Sweden’s Europe staked claim to... Europe, Asia was formed by bits of Yes, King Crimson, and Emerson, Lake, & Palmer. So once again we’re teased with classic prog that isn’t Rush.
  • I've been busy with some projects and stuff s I finally sat down at my computer and put together my little chart that looks way different from last time. Alice in Chains adds in two songs from Dirt next week, so you are totally seeing double. Down in a Hole has an incredible 26.2 million listens on spotify while Them Bones has a swell17.4 million listens. Don't have anything clever to say right now, sorry guys.

• Well damn, this week brought the legendary Johnny B. Good by Chuck Berry to Rock Band and I do not have a 1950's category on my list. Dammit chuck, here you go upsetting music in a good way once again!

• The list is getting crazy now. Violent Femmes finally bring Blister in the Sun. The song you had no idea was from 1983 because it feels like the spirit of the 90s. We also have a song about not discriminating against white musicians. You know Play That Funky Music by Wild Cherry. Also added a 50s category that I'm guessing will be used about as much as the 1960s category.
  • School work has been crazy as I graduate in 2 weeks with way too much stuff to do in the meantime. But I found a brief window to update my chart that has a rare appearance by two 2010's songs in one week as well as adding in the forgotten Ace of Base appearance a few weeks prior.

First of Ace of Base is a definite guilty pleasure. Or white guilty pleasure that is, one of the heads of the band was previously in a Neo Nazi rock band before calming his tits and moving onto pop. Life is weird.

Next we have one of my favorite songs of 2017, The Way You Used To by Queens of the Stone Age. Its funky and wonderful with a radically different vibe than their previous album. You never know what Queens is going to pull out next, but its usually pretty great.

Finally we have the infamous Run by Foo Fighters where you might remember it as the video with old lady boobs. It a good driving song with high energy, plus a welcome addition to the chart. These songs also have the distinction of coming from the same week of songs as they were both brand new when I made this list and maybe even the last songs added to the list, who knows!?

• End of the year, damn, it's been a pretty great year for Rock Band DLC. Rounding off the year are two songs I never believed we'd get, but Harmonix pulled out its magic and granted some sweet tunes.

First off 18 and Life from Skid Row. Sebastian Bach's home was badly damaged in 2011 from hurricane Sandy destroying his master recordings for Skid Row material. Masters aren't anywhere near as crucial as they used to be in Rock Band and I'm not complaining, some of my favorite songs of the year aren't stemmed, but its just great to have them in any measure. Play this song as you try to sneak honey oil across the US border. for those that get the reference, I love you.

Next we have a song many know from Reservoir Dogs. That weird ass Hooked on a Feeling song by Blue Swede. However I was not expecting this song to have 123 million listens on spotify!?

• WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    Fantastic start of the new year as two fantastic 90s hits are finally in Rock Band.

Starting with an old friend, Depeche Mode returns to Rock Band with another classic, Enjoy the Silence. This electronic dance number has been on my wishlist for what seems like forever, glad it finally found a home. Sitting at over 89 million listens on Spotify, its Depeche Mode's biggest relevant hit to hit the platform, do I say "hit" too much?

Next we have Torn by Natalie Imbruglia. This is a much bigger hit on Spotify than I suspected as it sits at over 124 million listens, not to mention I had a huge crush on her in my youth, not that that matters, just happy memory. This song is also a cover of a 1995 song by Edna Swap that Imbruglia turned into a massive hit two years later.

Here's how the list sits now.

I was curious as to some stats about the likelihood of songs. Here are some spotify song stats from whats made it off my list.
    1. Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want to Have Fun 148.5 million
    2. Blue Swede - Hooked on a Feeling 130.9 million
    3. Natalie Imbruglia - Torn 124.5 million
    4. Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence 89.8 million
    5. Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode 72.7 million
    6. Ace of Base - The Sign 56.5 million
    7. Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music 49 million
    8. Sugar Ray - Every Morning 48.9 million
    9. Skid Row - 18 and Life 45.3 million
    10. Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun 40 million
    11. Rick James - Superfreak 37.82 million
    12. Ted Nugent - Stranglehold 37.79 million
    13. Asia - Heat of the Moment 33.1 million
    14. Foo Fighters - Run 33 million
    15. Alice In Chains - Down in a Hole 28.6 million
    16. Blue Oyster Cult - Burnin For You 26.6 million
    17. QotSA - The Way You Used To 24 million
    18. Alice In Chains - Them Bones - 19.1 million
    19. Garbage - Stupid Girl 17.1 million
    The average is 55.96 million listens.

A song also must pass at least the 10 million threshold to even be in the running for DLC it seems.

We'll see how these numbers change later in the year when this list gets phased out for the new iteration.
    2 in one day, 2nd time in a month. This has been pretty great this year! First we have Bachman Turner Overdrive's Takin' Care of Business. The group has been referenced in Rock Band forever because they share a name with Rock Band's overdrive. This wonderful 70's song comes in at 13.3 million listens on Spotify. Which would put it at the lowest number of listens of any song on this list so far...

Breaking the record for lowest play count is Billy Squier's Lonely is the Night. Like how!? This song rocks and is even featured more relevantly in GTA V. Prominently missing from the previous 2 songs released in Rock Band pre RB4. This old bot has 11.9 million listens, but I'm certain Squier has sold more albums than listens. Oh well, it's in Rock Band now, so who honestly cares.

For the 3rd time this year, I've gotten 2 songs off the list! Welcome Nine Day's Absolutely (I don't feel like typing out the rest of the song) The first song of this list from 2000! This song embodies the spirit of a carefree early 2000's melodramatic tune.

Next we have the funk classic Brick House by the Commodores. It's that song every time white people want to get funky in movies. This also marks the first appearance of music legend, Lionel Richie!

Let's go to some stats: Coming in at 26.8 million listens and 29.4 million listens respectively, this would put them above the current 15 and 16 spots respectively, but here's the crazy nature of the beast of listens. QoTSA currently sits at 27.4 million listens (3.4 million new listens) putting it 2 slots up. I'm now curious as to just how much it changes in a month.
    1. Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want to Have Fun: 155.1 million (+6.6 million/ 4.4%)
    2. Blue Swede - Hooked on a Feeling: 135.4 million (+4.5 mil/ 3.4%)
    3. Natalie Imbruglia - Torn: 129.2 million (+4.7 mil/ 3.8%)
    4. Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence: 93.2 million (+3.4 mil/ 3.8%)
    5. Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode: 75.9 million (+3.2 mil/ 4.4%)
    6. Ace of Base - The Sign 58.4 million: (+1.9 mil/ 3.4%)
    7. Sugar Ray - Every Morning: 50.71 million (+1.81 mil/ 3.7%)
    8. Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music: 50.7 million (+1.7 mil/ 3.5%)
    9. Skid Row - 18 and Life: 46.7 million (+1.4 mil/ 3.1%)
    10. Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun: 41.6 million (+1.6 mil/ 4%)
    11. Ted Nugent - Stranglehold: 39.5 million (+1.71/ 4.5%)
    12. Rick James - Superfreak: 39.3 million (+1.48 mil/ 3.9%)
    13. Foo Fighters - Run: 35.8 million (+2.8 mil/ 8.5%)
    14. Asia - Heat of the Moment: 34.3 million (+1.2 mil/ 3.6%)
    15. Alice In Chains - Down in a Hole: 29.5 million (+.9 mil/ 3.1%)
    16. Commodores - Brick House: 29.2 million (New)
    17. Blue Oyster Cult - Burnin For You: 28 million (+1.4 mil/ 5.3%)
    18. QotSA - The Way You Used To: 27.4 million (+3.4 mil/ 14.2%)
    19. Nine Days - Absolutely: 26.8 million (New)
    20. Alice In Chains - Them Bones: 19.7 million (+.6 mil/ 3.1%)
    21. Garbage - Stupid Girl: 17.9 million (.8 mil/ 4.7%)
    22. Bachman Turner Overdrive - 13.6 million (New)
    23. Billy Squier - Lonely is the Night 12.2 million (New)
    What's interesting is that most older songs go up 3%-4.5% over a month while newer songs have higher gains. QotSA's the Way You Used To had 14.2% increase with Foo Fighter's Run at 8.5% increase. Now for the list!

4th freaking time this year, two songs in one week!!! Damn Rock Band! They also follow a similar pattern with one song off the main list and one off the DLC suggestions (Except Depeche Mode which was on the main list previously)

First we have Goo Goo Dolls - Slide. We first saw these guys in the RB4 era and its great to see many of the fantastic acts are coming back for a second round. Slide is a fantastically energetic that seems like a ton of fun to play (I hope I'm not wrong ...) Let's hope these guys come back again real soon. On the Spotify front this is their 2nd most relevant song behind freaking Iris, because of course it is. While Iris has an unprecedented 260 million listens which for an older song is damn crazy. Slide sits at a respectable 55.2 million, enough to be the new #7 on the top list.

In another trend, Rock Band has been, what I refer to as "Fixing Past Sins." Matchbox Twenty had a lackluster pack in the original DLC run and have come back twice with 3AM and now Unwell. Still some more tracks we need to have a full redemption, but like Goo Goo Dolls we need more! This song sits twice on Spotify as the original and remaster 35.4 for the remaster and 13.6 for the original, so its fighting itself... Wonderful. We'll just call it 35.4 million and life will go on.

The Chart!!!

edited March 13
    Del Amitri has come to Rock Band! This Scottish group arrives just in time for... St. Patricks Day, interesting play Harmonix. Roll to Me was a recent addition to my list after being reminded of its existence on a bus ride which I had to add after Harmonix killed my 90s list last year. This also marks the break of my 2 songs in one week streak. I'm not going to lie, Bad Company is on my list, but Bad Company by Bad Company is so boring.

Speaking of boring, let's get some stats!
    1. Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want to Have Fun: 163 million (+7.9 million/ Up 5.1%)
    2. Blue Swede - Hooked on a Feeling: 140.6 million (+5.2 million/ Up 3.8%)
    3. Natalie Imbruglia - Torn: 134.7 million (+5.5 million/ Up 4.3%)
    4. Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence: 97 million (+3.8 million/ Up 4.1%)
    5. Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode: 79.7 million (+3.8 million/ Up 5%)
    6. Ace of Base - The Sign: 60.6 (+2.2 million/ Up 3.8%)
    7. Goo Goo Dolls - Slide: 56.7 million (New)
    8. Sugar Ray - Every Morning: 52.8 million (+2.1 million/ Up 4.1%)
    9. Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music: 52.6 million (+1.9 million/ Up 3.7%)
    10. Skid Row - 18 and Life: 48.3 million (+1.6 million/ Up 3.4%)
    11. Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun: 43.4 million (+1.8 million/ Up 4.3%)
    12. Rick James - Superfreak: 41.372 million (+2.1 million/ Up 5.3%)
    13. Ted Nugent - Stranglehold: 41.37 million (+1.9 million/ Up 4.8%)
    14. Foo Fighters - Run: 35.8 million 39 million (+3.2 million/ Up 8.9%)
    15. Matchbox Twenty - Unwell 36.7 million (New)
    16. Asia - Heat of the Moment: 35.5 million (+1.2 million/ Up 3.5%)
    17. QotSA - The Way You Used To: 31 million (+3.6 million/ Up 13.1%)
    18. Alice In Chains - Down in a Hole: 30.5 million (+1 million/ Up 3.4%)
    19. Commodores - Brick House: 30.3 million (+1.1 million/ Up 3.8%)
    20. Blue Oyster Cult - Burnin For You: 29.6 million (+1.6 million/ Up 5.7%)
    21. Nine Days - Absolutely: 27.9 million (+1.1 million/ Up 4.1%)
    22. Alice In Chains - Them Bones: 20.5 million (+.8 million/ Up 4.1%)
    23. Garbage - Stupid Girl: 18.9 million (1 million/ Up 5.6%)
    24. BTO - Takin Care of Business: 14.3 million (+.7 million/ Up 5.1%)
    25. Billy Squier - Lonely is the Night: 12.8 million (+.6 million/ Up 4.9%)
    26. Del Amitri - Roll to Me: 11.7 million (New)
    A couple overtakes, a new low, a newcomer on the top 10. Really its similar to last month. New songs shot up, every song rose at least 3.4%.

• No Celebrity Status by Marianaa Trench?

Also no Hedley?
    Rock Band just got a little more Cumbersome... In a good way! The 90s hit by Seven Mary Three is mine, all mine! Hailing from one of the most fantastic years for music, 1995, this song was number one on the charts before being kicked off by The World I Know by Collective Soul. (Also in Rock Band) In it's almost Stone Temple Pilotsesc way, I'm super happy this is in Rock Band. It also has the distinction of being the first commercial Rock Band song this year without 10 million listens on spotify. 9.1 million isn't awful though.

Oh and with all the 90s taking over again, they've caught up to the 80s!!!

Things are getting ridiculous on the 90s front as we've just hit the 5th straight 90s song off the list. This week we see 2 classic 90s songs from recent addition Blues Traveler and newcomer Len.

Blues Traveler gives us another song from their iconic album, Four. Run-Around is here after Rock Band caught the Hook. This bluesy rock song is going to be insane on vocals if Hook is anything to go by. It's an almost stream of consciousness that you don't see much of anymore from music. Good Hook Harmonix, OK I'll stop the puns.

Steal My Sunshine is such a unique and vibrant song, its really hard to compare to anything else. It's also polarizing because of this, but I happen to like its weirdness.

First week of the month, let's see how these songs are ranking.
    1. Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want to Have Fun: 167.5 million (+4.5 million/ Up 2.8%)
    2. Blue Swede - Hooked on a Feeling: 143.7 million (+3.7 million/ Up 2.6%)
    3. Natalie Imbruglia - Torn: 138.2 million (+3.5 million/ Up 2.6%)
    4. Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence: 99.5 million(+2.5 million/ Up 2.6%)
    5. Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode: 81.9 million (+2.2 million/ Up 2.8%)
    6. Ace of Base - The Sign: 61.9 million (+1.3 million/ Up 2.1%)
    7. Goo Goo Dolls - Slide: 57.8 million (+1.1 million/ Up 1.9%)
    8. Sugar Ray - Every Morning: 54.1 million (+1.3 million/ Up 2.5%)
    9. Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music: 53.7 million(+1.1 million/ Up 2.1%)
    10. Skid Row - 18 and Life: 49.3 million(+1 million/ Up 2.1%)
    11. Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun: 44.4 million (+1 million/ Up 2.3%)
    12. Rick James - Superfreak: 42.61 million (+1.238 million/ Up 3%)
    13. Ted Nugent - Stranglehold: 42.57 million (+1.2 million/ Up 2.9%)
    14. Foo Fighters - Run: 40.6 million (+1.6 million/ Up 4.1%)
    15. Matchbox Twenty - Unwell 37.7 million(+1 million/ Up 2.7%)
    16. Asia - Heat of the Moment: 36.3 million (+.8 million / Up 2.3%)
    17. QotSA - The Way You Used To: 33.1 million (+2.1 million/ Up 6.8%)
    18. Alice In Chains - Down in a Hole: 31.2 million (+.7 million/ Up 2.3%)
    19. Commodores - Brick House: 31 million (+.7 million/ Up 2.3%)
    20. Blue Oyster Cult - Burnin For You: 30.6 million (+1 million/ Up 3.4%)
    21. Nine Days - Absolutely: 28.6 million (+.7 million/ Up 2.5%)
    22. Blues Traveller - Run-Around 26.213 million (New)
    23. Len - Steal My Sunshine 26.207 million (New)
    24. Alice In Chains - Them Bones: 21 million(+.5 million/ Up 2.4%)
    25. Garbage - Stupid Girl: 19.5 million(+.6 million/ Up 3.2%)
    26. BTO - Takin Care of Business: 14.8 million (+.5 million/ Up 3.5%)
    27. Billy Squier - Lonely is the Night: 13.2 million (+.4 million/ Up 3.1%)
    28. Del Amitri - Roll to Me: 11.9 million (+.2 million/ Up 1.7%)
    29. Seven Mary Three - Cumbersome 9.4 million (New)

It's a single player week as I've never heard the Status Quo. But... Karma Chameleon was totally on my wishlist! This marks the return of Culture Club and arguably their biggest hit, so while not a huge surprise by any means, its a party hit! So go play with yo friends! The song currently sits at 100.2 million plays on Spotify which will put it firmly in my top 5 most player on spotify.

This also marks the first 80s after a string of 90s stole 80s crown.